On 24/8/05 13:57, in article [email hidden], "Rudi
Winter said:Andy, those pictures are stunning! Only problem, inspiration-wise, is
that it looks rather hot (apart from the snow bit of course)!
Thanks Rudi, the heat was a bit of a problem this year.
I started from Lescun. While I was there the weather broke and there were 2
days of rain. When I moved out I then had 8 days of amazingly hot weather.
Climbing mountains with really horrible scree slopes and no shade in temps
of 33C plus was not much fun at times.
In all honesty it is not too bad to cope with. You have to start walking
early. Getting up at dawn means that you get a good hour/two hours of
walking before the sun really gets going. After that you just have to be
prepared to take regular little breaks.
The real problem with all of this are the timings in the guide books which,
of course, are pure walking times and don't take into account rest time
(this is a well discussed topic here). I get annoyed over this because - in
such heat - you can easily find the journey times almost doubling.
I reckon in this heat a 5-6 hour walk (guidebook time) is a good day.
Nearly always stages over 8 hours plus are accompanied by the comments "you
could always break this stage into 2 by spending the night at ..."
This is shorthand for saying that you really should break the stage into 2.
After all you're there to enjoy it not to kill yourself!
On the High Route you will be carrying tents, food and water - probably
enough for a week to avoid un-necessary drops down into towns. In that heat
you do begin to wonder how anyone could do some of these timings in such
conditions - (and perhaps they never have!).
But then I might just be getting old !!!
--
Andy Howell
Birmingham, UK
To mail simply put back the dots ...