Cycling Training · Public discussion

Legs not aching after hardest session. Overtrained?

Started by Strumpetto · · Last activity · 13 posts · 4,180 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
30 August 2007
Last activity
11 February 2024
Original author
Strumpetto
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,180
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I remember one gentleman saying that if the legs dont ache after a hard ride, then you're overtrained. However, I've only been riding 4 times a week since school has started. I have substituted my normal rides for racing roadies on a philadelphia bike-way. Man, what a blast. You guys get so irritated! Thanks

  2. I actually thought it was the other way around. If your legs DO ache, then you've overused them (though you're doing them good by doing so). ...but if they don't, you can stretch 'em out some more.

  3. Strumpetto said:

    I remember one gentleman saying that if the legs dont ache after a hard ride, then you're overtrained. pinoy tv channel However, I've only been riding 4 times a week since school has started. I have substituted my normal rides for racing roadies on a philadelphia bike-way. Man, what a blast. You guys get so irritated! Thanks


    OVERTRAINING IS REAL, BU TUNDER-RECOVERY IS A MORE COMMON PROBLEM EXPERIENCED BY THOSE WHO CONSISTENTLY SPEND TIME IN THE GYM

  4. lectraplayer said:

    I actually thought it was the other way around. If your legs DO ache, then you've overused them (though you're doing them good by doing so). ...but if they don't, you can watch pinoy tambayan replays stretch 'em out some more.


    Competitive athletes regularly spend anywhere from 3-6 (or more) hours in the gym most days of the week. While the philosophy that nothing replaces hard work is valid, this amount of training for the average Joe may be considered overtraining.

  5. A related question- I am 69 and a recreational rider (avg 25-35 mile rides @14-14 MPH avg) - I started doing HIT spin classes to build strength- Issue is whenever I do one of these classes- I can't sleep that night. Did one yesterday at noon- last night I was up until 3 am. Got up at 8AM - feel ok but tired. I would have thought working hard would have me sleeping like a baby? How long does adrenaline last in the body?

    Any thoughts?

    Len

  6. You know you've overtrained when you get progressively weaker. If your muscles are pretty much and pain after you ride you overtrained and need to rest a few days.

  7. best multitasking laptop
    This year, the Dell XPS 13 is also getting a bigger keyboard and touchpad that uses every possible surface on the device. Of course, it is just as strong and durable as ever, without compromising function over form. It's no longer a cheap laptop, but for me the XPS has earned its place as a premium brand. All of this makes the best laptop you can buy - and Dell recently updated the machine with the latest Intel Tiger Lake processor, making it much faster and smarter.

  8. German Dog Breeds That Will Probably Surprise You. Believe it or not, German Shepherd isn't the only breed from Germany german dog breeds .

  9. Pain can be from overtraining but it may be a sign of another problem developing. In my 30's I started getting a deep aching pain in my legs. I was walking, riding playing tennis and on my legs many hours of the day. I ended up with varicose veins which I'd say was causing the pain. I'd say my activities weren't the cause but being on my legs many hours without knowing what was developing didn't help. If I'd known then what I know now I would have not stood as long, I would have elevated my legs above heart level every chance I could and I'd have worn compression stockings back then. Although this probably would not have stopped what happened I believe it would have delayed it and lessened the amount of severity.

  10. Hey there! It's great that you're staying active and engaged in various sports. While overtraining can indeed cause pain, it's important to consider other factors as well. In your case, the deep aching pain in your legs could be a result of varicose veins. It's always a good idea to listen to your body and seek medical advice if needed. Take care and remember to prioritize your recovery!

  11. Ah, the ache in the legs - a badge of honor for us cyclists. But overtraining from just four rides a week? I think you're safe. Sounds like you're trading endurance for speed, tackling those roadies. Good for you, but don't be surprised if they get a bit ruffled. After all, they're not used to being chased by a mountain biker. Keep it up, and maybe you can teach them a thing or two about off-road etiquette. 😉

  12. Four rides a week is already impressive! Overtraining is definitely a concern, but it seems like you've found a good balance between endurance and speed. Chasing roadies might ruffle a few feathers, but it's a great opportunity to showcase off-road etiquette. Who knows, maybe they'll learn a thing or two from you!

  13. Totally agree! It's easy to overdo it when you're loving the rides. It sounds like you're already pretty savvy about listening to your body.

    Keeping an eye out for classic overtraining signs (fatigue you can't seem to shake, poor sleep, motivation struggles) can save you from a forced rest period!

    Love that you're taking this "roadie rivalry" in good stride. A positive attitude and respectful trail sharing could totally win some converts to the dirt side

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.