rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Leg pain from 1 ft ww

Started by daino149 · · Last activity · 12 posts · 426 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
11 October 2004
Last activity
12 October 2004
Original author
daino149
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
426
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Has anyone else noticed that when they were learning to 1foot ww, they
    had a lot of pain in the leg that was doing the pushing? For me that's
    my right leg, and after two days of practice, my leg really hurts. I
    think it's because I'm using muscles that aren't used to be used. Most
    of the pain is from the inner thigh muscles and the area on the back of
    my leg just above the knee.

    I assume this is because I'm learning a new skill and I just have to
    build the right muscles and smooth out my technique, but anyone know
    anything I can try differently to make the pain stop?

    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.07.03
    Kaena
    Bugman - "if you are a little left of them, it would seem like they are
    on the right"
    Sig count: 2

    04.05.23 11214
    04.05.25 11284
    04.05.26 11329
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    daino149's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/933
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35539

  2. No I didn't experience that pain, but I think you're right about it just
    being a result of using previously un-used muscles. My back hurt back
    two years ago when I was learning to unicycle.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - Unicycling because it's really fun!

    HTTP://WWW.UNICYCLIST.COM/GALLERY/ANDREW
    carter.andrew (at) gmail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    andrew_carter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1052
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35539

  3. nope, no leg pain.just wore out my shoe a little faster.

    --
    jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

    ---------------------------------------------------
    -Forget_Your_Life-
    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/MMulitia.jpg]

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jagur's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/502
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35539

  4. attach

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: 1 foot.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/239438|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

    ---------------------------------------------------
    -Forget_Your_Life-
    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/MMulitia.jpg]

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jagur's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/502
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35539

  5. Sounds like sore hamstrings. This is normal from that activity. Your
    hamstrings are not real strong compared to the muscles on the front
    (quads), and get tired more easily doing this kind of stuff. When I go
    for long-distance gliding it always comes down to how much my hamstrings
    can handle before they start to cramp up.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
    my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

    "Read the rules!"
    'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
    'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35539

  6. I started out practicing pushing with my left foot but after a few days
    it hurt too much so I practiced with my right foot instead. Same thing
    with my right hand when I began with trials. I took a two week break and
    then I continued, but now holding the seat with my left hand.

    It was mostly about technique in both cases. I always overdo it when I
    try new stuff and then I get hurt and it takes ages for it to heal. Try
    to avoid this if you have enough discipline :-)

    --
    ulph - Trials Unicyclist Aspirant
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ulph's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7284
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35539

  7. Seeing the pic Jagur posted reminded me about another question I was
    meaning to ask. Is it much easier to 1 Ft WW and coast with a slick
    tire then a knobby? My Luna is going to need replacing and I was
    thinking that I might swap it with a slick. That brings up another
    question...which slick tires will fit on the 19" Alex DX32 rim?

    Thanks

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.07.03
    Kaena
    Bugman - "if you are a little left of them, it would seem like they are
    on the right"
    Sig count: 2

    04.05.23 11214
    04.05.25 11284
    04.05.26 11329
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    daino149's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/933
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35539

  8. I noticed the same thing, probably because I too am impatient and when
    learning a new trick I tend to binge on it till I can do it. Form me,
    John foss is right--it's a matter of overtaxing the hamstring on the
    pushing leg. A good stretch after the workout will help. Also try
    practicing the trick every other day.

    Lastly, per the slick vers. knoby tire--I had a breakthrough with 1 foot
    WW when my shoe got wet walking across the lawn, meaning the tire could
    skid under my shoe, as opposed to it stopping every time I put the
    pressure on. For me, the trick was learning how to keep the kicking
    foot light as a feather on the tire, letting the tire keep rolling
    rather than stopping it with each kick.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo - TurboMUnieers, Charter Member
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35539

  9. Jauger,is that a torker DX?It looks like mine.

    Iv been kinda trying to learn 1footww,it doesnt hurt my leg😕

  10. forrestunifreak said:

    *Jauger,is that a torker DX?It looks like mine.
    *


    Yeah that's Jagur's DX.

    I've getten ww down a little better so I'll probably play with one foot
    ww. I'll see what comes of it.

    --
    Tim - Thread Killer

    You're not that evil Nick... I think that dog is more evil then you. -
    me

    "The dog is my apprentice." - Evil-nick
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4671
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35539

  11. it took me forever to learn how to glide with my very knobby duro
    leopard 24x3...and now that i've worn down the tire, its hard to press
    down hard enough! my foot has been trained to be a feather on the wheel,
    and now that there's no friction it needs to be more like 30 feathers...

    i learned with a knobby tire so yes it is possible

    -grant

    --
    tennisgh22 - Haha you fool

    The word gullible is written above my avatar!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35539

  12. i had the same pain. in the inside part of your leg right? i realized i
    was pushing down too hard on the wheel and i had to loosen up. i hope
    this helps.
    -Sean

    --
    Goatman! - mmmm....bacon....

    I Have Ham In My Shoe
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Goatman!'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8155
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35539

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.