General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Lantus does not last me 24 hours

Started by Radioactive Man · · Last activity · 11 posts · 1,095 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
15 February 2004
Last activity
19 February 2004
Original author
Radioactive Man
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,095
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. When I was first diagnosed with type 1 back in the summer, my doctor prescribted one dose of Lantus
    in the evening and a pre-meal bolus of novolog. This regimen worked for a while, but over the last
    few months, I have discovered the need for a lunchtime dose of some additional basal insulin (can be
    L - Lente or UL injected separately for large lunches or mixed with regular for low-carb lunches),
    or else I end up with high blood sugars in the late afternoon. I have tried using only regular
    insulin at lunchtime and using a couple of extra units to cover the gap, but that still wears off
    too soon and causes too much of an early drop in blood sugar.

    From what I've read here, this is a common problem with Lantus. Since I'm injecting the Lantus into
    slow-absorption areas (thighs/hips) and using as much as can be used (11 units) without causing
    nightime or morning hypoglycemia (morning readings are usuallys 70's or 80's), I just don't see a
    way to beat this problem. I believe, in my case, the Lantus is lasting about 15 hours, since I do
    occasionally get mild lows before lunch, but long after the breakfast bolus of novolog has worn off.

    Anyone here use Lantus and actually get it to last 24 hours? Given the cost of Lantus, I am
    seriously considering switching to L and/or UL for basal insulins. I am very familar with the mild
    peaking nature of L and actually prefer it for a lunchtime basal injection because it allows me to
    eat a small snack several hours later, but I would prefer to avoid using it at bedtime for these
    very same reasons. For UL, I will simply have to do some more testing to find out how useful it
    could be in the evening.

  2. Radioactive Man said:

    Anyone here use Lantus and actually get it to last 24 hours? Given the cost of Lantus, I am
    seriously considering switching to L and/or UL for basal insulins. I am very familar with the mild
    peaking nature of L and actually prefer it for a lunchtime basal injection because it allows me to
    eat a small snack several hours later, but I would prefer to avoid using it at bedtime for these
    very same reasons. For UL, I will simply have to do some more testing to find out how useful it
    could be in the evening.

    I started Lantus very early . Normally it lasts for over 24 hours. I do get a slight peak when the
    two doses overlap. Had to move my injection to the 6 to 7 pm time frame so the overlap did not
    happen in sleep period. However the last bottle was not lasting the 24 hours so I went to a second
    bottle. How do I know? If I lose basal i get a dump of glucose. An unidentified problem for years
    that did me great harm. Guy

  3. Radioactive Man wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    When I was first diagnosed with type 1 back in the summer, my doctor prescribted one dose of Lantus
    in the evening and a pre-meal bolus of novolog. This regimen worked for a while, but over the last
    few months, I have discovered the need for a lunchtime dose of some additional basal insulin (can
    be L - Lente or UL injected separately for large lunches or mixed with regular for low-carb
    lunches), or else I end up with high blood sugars in the late afternoon. I have tried using only
    regular insulin at lunchtime and using a couple of extra units to cover the gap, but that still
    wears off too soon and causes too much of an early drop in blood sugar.

    From what I've read here, this is a common problem with Lantus. Since I'm injecting the Lantus
    into slow-absorption areas (thighs/hips) and using as much as can be used (11 units) without
    causing nightime or morning hypoglycemia (morning readings are usuallys 70's or 80's), I just
    don't see a way to beat this problem. I believe, in my case, the Lantus is lasting about 15 hours,
    since I do occasionally get mild lows before lunch, but long after the breakfast bolus of novolog
    has worn off.

    Anyone here use Lantus and actually get it to last 24 hours? Given the cost of Lantus, I am
    seriously considering switching to L and/or UL for basal insulins. I am very familar with the mild
    peaking nature of L and actually prefer it for a lunchtime basal injection because it allows me to
    eat a small snack several hours later, but I would prefer to avoid using it at bedtime for these
    very same reasons. For UL, I will simply have to do some more testing to find out how useful it
    could be in the evening.

    Folks who are "fast absorbers" as far as Lantus are concerned just can't enjoy that "Only One
    Shot Per Day - Hurray - Hurray" advertising. They/You have to take at least two shots of
    something or another to keep your background insulin supply above the liver-dump concentration.

    (Remember that a T1 uses a basal to keep his background insulin up, not to handle meals. If meals
    spike your bG, you handle the spikes with a bolus insulin. Regular insulin is very difficult to use
    if you want really low post-meal peaks. You have to inject an hour before eating for the most
    reliable results. Otherwise, you end up shooting too much and going low later on)

    Some techniques for dealing with a fast absorbence basal problem:

    1. Split your daily Lantus into two shots taken 12 hours apart. Try to shoot at the same times
    every day.

    2. Add a second shot of NPH, timed at least 4 hours before your experience predicts the Lantus
    will "fade"

    (I think the docs use "fade" to mean "wear off/stop absorbing/be used up"😉

    3. Use Ultralente. I would stay away from Lente; there's a sense in the diabetic community
    that Lilly will give up on it. Novo has already cancelled its version.

    You need at least two shots of Ultralente per day. For many people (me included), Ultralente
    has a weak peak between 8 and 16 hours with a maximum at about 12 hours. You can use that
    weak peak to help with a meal or such if you are dogged enough to figure out exactly when
    your fat layer decides to release enough Ultralente to make a peak.

    I split my daily Ultralente into three shots. Two shots 14 hours apart for background, a third shot
    at 5 pm which throws a mild Ultralente peak right into the middle of my fierce Dawn Effect.

    (The 14 hours apart technique is to cater to my CRS problem; 7 am and 9 am every day is convenient
    and makes it easier to remember)

    Ultralente is difficult to inject. The zinc-insulin crystals in Ultralente are the largest of all
    the cloudy insulins and thus tend to settle out really fast. You have to shake the vial (that's
    shake, not some wimpy roll) right up until the last second before drawing into the syringe.

    The Bernstein book has some nice illustrations on the technique. If you try Ultralente, you might
    want to swing by your Public Library and take a look.

    Finally, Levemir seems to have an absorbence curve about the same as that of Ultralente. However,
    Levemir is a 100% liquid insulin with no need for all those shaking the vial tricks. It ought to be
    available soon, maybe even this year.

    Regards
    Old Al

  4. "Radioactive Man" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    When I was first diagnosed with type 1 back in the summer, my doctor prescribted one dose of
    Lantus in the evening and a pre-meal bolus of novolog. This regimen worked for a while, but over
    the last few months, I have discovered the need for a lunchtime dose of some additional basal
    insulin (can be L - Lente or UL injected separately for large lunches or mixed with regular for
    low-carb lunches), or else I end up with high blood sugars in the late afternoon. I have tried
    using only regular insulin at lunchtime and using a couple of extra units to cover the gap, but
    that still wears off too soon and causes too much of an early drop in blood sugar.

    Have you tried splitting the Lantus dose?

    Quoted message said:


    From what I've read here, this is a common problem with Lantus. Since I'm injecting the Lantus
    into slow-absorption areas (thighs/hips) and using as much as can be used (11 units) without
    causing nightime or morning hypoglycemia (morning readings are usuallys 70's or 80's), I just
    don't see a way to beat this problem. I believe, in my case, the Lantus is lasting about 15 hours,
    since I do occasionally get mild lows before lunch, but long after the breakfast bolus of novolog
    has worn off.

    Be wary of making the assumption that the Novolog has "been and gone" by lunchtime. These "fast"
    acting insulins have a habit of not being "quite" as fast as the manufacturers would have us
    believe, or the short working life they quote, and if you injected for breaky, it's very possible
    that it's still churning along at lunchtime.

    And things can vary with your insulin sensitivity/resistance levels too.

    Beav

  5. "Radioactive Man" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm injecting the Lantus into slow-absorption areas (thighs/hips) and


    using as much as can be used (11 units) without causing nightime or morning hypoglycemia (morning
    readings are usuallys 70's or 80's), I just don't see a way to beat this problem. I believe, in my
    case, the Lantus is lasting about 15 hours, since I do occasionally get mild lows before lunch,
    but long after the breakfast bolus of novolog has worn off.

    Anyone here use Lantus and actually get it to last 24 hours?

    60 units in the gut works well for me over 24 hours. 70 to 110 in the morning is typical and I don;t
    consider 70 as hypo.

    --
    Menthu

  6. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:37:07 -0500, "Menthu" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Radioactive Man" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm injecting the Lantus into slow-absorption areas (thighs/hips) and


    using as much as can be used (11 units) without causing nightime or morning hypoglycemia (morning
    readings are usuallys 70's or 80's), I just don't see a way to beat this problem. I believe, in
    my case, the Lantus is lasting about 15 hours, since I do occasionally get mild lows before
    lunch, but long after the breakfast bolus of novolog has worn off.

    Anyone here use Lantus and actually get it to last 24 hours?

    60 units in the gut works well for me over 24 hours. 70 to 110 in the morning is typical and I
    don;t consider 70 as hypo.

    My point exactly. I have type 1 and normally use 11 units of Lantus in the evening. If I use 12
    units, I'll end up with waking readings in the 50's. I normally inject the basal insulins in the
    hips or thighs. Injecting in the gut only speeds it up.

  7. 14u gave me a 112-130 fbg normally, but by 4-5pm I was at 250 again even without eating or eating.
    didn't matter, by 11pm I was at 300, 2am was coming back down some, at 4am I usually had a dramatic
    drop, but the highs prevented me from eating dinner on schedule unless i shot 1-2u of novolog as a
    correction, so I started on dr's advice to cover my lapse with NPH, which worked well. but hated the
    extra shot.

    --
    RK - t1 *Disclaimer: i'm not a doctor. I only share personal experience of being a diabetic. I have
    no textbook learning, only life itself.
    ----------------------
    In tribute to the United States of America and the State of Israel, two bastions of strength in a
    world filled with strife and terrorism.

    "Radioactive Man" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Menthu said:


    "Radioactive Man" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    > I'm injecting the Lantus into slow-absorption areas (thighs/hips) and
    using as much as can be used (11 units) without causing nightime or morning hypoglycemia
    (morning readings are usuallys 70's or 80's), I just don't see a way to beat this problem. I
    believe, in my case, the Lantus is lasting about 15 hours, since I do occasionally get mild
    lows before lunch, but long after the breakfast bolus of novolog has worn off.

    Anyone here use Lantus and actually get it to last 24 hours?

    60 units in the gut works well for me over 24 hours. 70 to 110 in the morning is typical and I
    don;t consider 70 as hypo.

    My point exactly. I have type 1 and normally use 11 units of Lantus in the evening. If I use 12
    units, I'll end up with waking readings in the 50's. I normally inject the basal insulins in the
    hips or thighs. Injecting in the gut only speeds it up.

  8. Radioactive Man <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    When I was first diagnosed with type 1 back in the summer, my doctor prescribted one dose of
    Lantus in the evening and a pre-meal bolus of novolog. This regimen worked for a while, but over
    the last few months, I have discovered the need for a lunchtime dose of some additional basal
    insulin (can be L - Lente or UL injected separately for large lunches or mixed with regular for
    low-carb lunches), or else I end up with high blood sugars in the late afternoon. I have tried
    using only regular insulin at lunchtime and using a couple of extra units to cover the gap, but
    that still wears off too soon and causes too much of an early drop in blood sugar.

    From what I've read here, this is a common problem with Lantus. Since I'm injecting the Lantus
    into slow-absorption areas (thighs/hips) and using as much as can be used (11 units) without
    causing nightime or morning hypoglycemia (morning readings are usuallys 70's or 80's), I just
    don't see a way to beat this problem. I believe, in my case, the Lantus is lasting about 15 hours,
    since I do occasionally get mild lows before lunch, but long after the breakfast bolus of novolog
    has worn off.

    Anyone here use Lantus and actually get it to last 24 hours? Given the cost of Lantus, I am
    seriously considering switching to L and/or UL for basal insulins. I am very familar with the mild
    peaking nature of L and actually prefer it for a lunchtime basal injection because it allows me to
    eat a small snack several hours later, but I would prefer to avoid using it at bedtime for these
    very same reasons. For UL, I will simply have to do some more testing to find out how useful it
    could be in the evening.

    At the TCOYD conference a couple years ago, I attended a break out session on intensive control with
    2 of the consensus 3 best endochrinologists in the area. Both said that Lantus did not last 24 hours
    in many, possibly up to half, of their patients and that they commonly recommended splitting the
    Lantus dose in half and injecting twice/day. Subsequently, I had a conversation with the 3rd of the
    consensus 3 best who is a type 1 himself and was using Lantus. He agreed with their comments. You
    might want to try a split dose before you switch to U or L which often require a split dose as well.

    --
    -------
    Charly Coughran [email hidden]

  9. Hey Charly.... I'm going to TCOYD in Mpls. in March, you?

    Quoted message said:

    At the TCOYD conference a couple years ago, I attended a break out

    --

    t2_lurking geabbottATabbottandabbottDOTcom Do not mail to t2_lurking (auto-delete)
    ============================
    Well, i dreamed i saw the silver Space ships flying In the yellow haze of the sun -- Neil Young --
    ====================
    New to Diabetes? Go to: alt-support-diabetes.orgalt-support-diabetes.org
    ====================================================

  10. "t2_lurking" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:c0tp6h$1bqp8g
    [email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hey Charly.... I'm going to TCOYD in Mpls. in March, you?

    Quoted message said:

    At the TCOYD conference a couple years ago, I attended a break out

    The TCOYD is a travelling show which hits 9 cities this year. In San Diego, where I live, it is
    always scheduled in November the weekend before Thanksgiving which is hard to make. We had 30 people
    for Thanksgiving this year and it takes some preparation. I didn't make last year, but will try to
    again this year. I recommend it highly. For anyone that is interested, the web site is

    tcoyd.orghomepage.html

    The schedule is

    March 6 Minneapolis Minneapolis Convention Center March 27 Honolulu Hawaii Convention Center March
    28 Wailea, Maui Wailea Mariott Resort May 8 Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Northern Kentucky
    Convention Center June 19 Cleveland Cleveland Convention Center September 11 Amarillo Amarillo Civic
    Center August / September Native Americans and/or North California To Be Announced October 30
    Raleigh Raleigh Convention Center November 20 San Diego San Diego Convention Center

    --
    -------
    Charly Coughran [email hidden]

  11. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:44:46 -0500, "oldal4865" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    Radioactive Man wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    When I was first diagnosed with type 1 back in the summer, my doctor prescribted one dose of
    Lantus in the evening and a pre-meal bolus of novolog. This regimen worked for a while, but over
    the last few months, I have discovered the need for a lunchtime dose of some additional basal
    insulin (can be L - Lente or UL injected separately for large lunches or mixed with regular for
    low-carb lunches), or else I end up with high blood sugars in the late afternoon. I have tried
    using only regular insulin at lunchtime and using a couple of extra units to cover the gap, but
    that still wears off too soon and causes too much of an early drop in blood sugar.

    From what I've read here, this is a common problem with Lantus. Since I'm injecting the Lantus
    into slow-absorption areas (thighs/hips) and using as much as can be used (11 units) without
    causing nightime or morning hypoglycemia (morning readings are usuallys 70's or 80's), I just
    don't see a way to beat this problem. I believe, in my case, the Lantus is lasting about 15 hours,
    since I do occasionally get mild lows before lunch, but long after the breakfast bolus of novolog
    has worn off.

    Anyone here use Lantus and actually get it to last 24 hours? Given the cost of Lantus, I am
    seriously considering switching to L and/or UL for basal insulins. I am very familar with the mild
    peaking nature of L and actually prefer it for a lunchtime basal injection because it allows me to
    eat a small snack several hours later, but I would prefer to avoid using it at bedtime for these
    very same reasons. For UL, I will simply have to do some more testing to find out how useful it
    could be in the evening.

    Folks who are "fast absorbers" as far as Lantus are concerned just can't enjoy that "Only One
    Shot Per Day - Hurray - Hurray" advertising. They/You have to take at least two shots of
    something or another to keep your background insulin supply above the liver-dump concentration.

    (Remember that a T1 uses a basal to keep his background insulin up, not to handle meals. If meals
    spike your bG, you handle the spikes with a bolus insulin. Regular insulin is very difficult to use
    if you want really low post-meal peaks. You have to inject an hour before eating for the most
    reliable results. Otherwise, you end up shooting too much and going low later on)

    But for some meals such as a large salad with meat or pizza, I can actually get more stable
    postprandial blood sugars with regular than novolog. For either regular or novolog, I always use the
    same 15 g per unit rule, but the difference is in the timing. I generally get the best results with
    about a 15 minute delay on novolog and 40 minutes on regular. If I wait much longer than that, I
    will experience a hypo.

    The reason I believe the Lantus is wearing off a bit after luch is that I can successfully apply the
    15:1 rule at breakfast (without getting subsequent highs). Same applies if I eat a late supper (say
    8:00 pm and inject the Lantus at 9, as I usually do). What I discovered several months ago was
    that it did not work at lunch, thus I tried adding the second basal injection and it solved
    the problem.

    Quoted message said:


    Some techniques for dealing with a fast absorbence basal problem:

    1. Split your daily Lantus into two shots taken 12 hours apart. Try to shoot at the same times
    every day.

    The main reason I don't do that now is the fact that Lantus cannot be mixed with anything. I have
    had good results from mixing a basal shot of Lente with a lunchtime bolus of regular when eating
    meals that are either small or low in carbs. For larger lunches, I normally use novolog (which I
    never mix with anything) separately from the Lente. In this case, the mild Lente peak will cover the
    gap left by novolog ~3 hours after injecting.

    Since I'm currently buying everything out of pocket, I'm very much inclined to switch to twice daily
    doses of ultralente for basal coverage, provided I can get good waking numbers without night time
    hypoglycemia. Again, the advantage of both L and UL is mixability.

    Quoted message said:


    2. Add a second shot of NPH, timed at least 4 hours before your experience predicts the Lantus
    will "fade"

    From what I have read from Bernstein, and posts here about it's unpredictable nature, I believe it
    would be in my best interests to avoid using NPH altogether. For those reasons, I've never tried it.

    Quoted message said:


    (I think the docs use "fade" to mean "wear off/stop absorbing/be used up"😉

    3. Use Ultralente. I would stay away from Lente; there's a sense in the diabetic community
    that Lilly will give up on it. Novo has already cancelled its version.

    I've noticed that as well. My understanding is that Lente is actually a mixture of ultralente and
    semilente (never seen this marketed anywhere).

    Quoted message said:


    You need at least two shots of Ultralente per day. For many people (me included),
    Ultralente has a weak peak between 8 and 16 hours with a maximum at about 12 hours. You can
    use that weak peak to help with a meal or such if you are dogged enough to figure out
    exactly when your fat layer decides to release enough Ultralente to make a peak.

    I split my daily Ultralente into three shots. Two shots 14 hours apart for background, a third
    shot at 5 pm which throws a mild Ultralente peak right into the middle of my fierce Dawn Effect.

    (The 14 hours apart technique is to cater to my CRS problem; 7 am and 9 am every day is convenient
    and makes it easier to remember)

    Ultralente is difficult to inject. The zinc-insulin crystals in Ultralente are the largest of all
    the cloudy insulins and thus tend to settle out really fast. You have to shake the vial (that's
    shake, not some wimpy roll) right up until the last second before drawing into the syringe.

    The Bernstein book has some nice illustrations on the technique. If you try Ultralente, you might
    want to swing by your Public Library and take a look.

    I actually bought that book several months ago. I've found some useful info in it, but being a
    competitive athlete, I just cannot get by with the 30 g/day carbs he advocates.

    Quoted message said:


    Finally, Levemir seems to have an absorbence curve about the same as that of Ultralente. However,
    Levemir is a 100% liquid insulin with no need for all those shaking the vial tricks. It ought to be
    available soon, maybe even this year.

    Regards
    Old Al

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.