Road Cycling · Public discussion

Lance Armstrong to open bike shop

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 49 posts · 1,683 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
14 March 2008
Last activity
23 March 2008
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
49
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,683
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 49
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/mar08/mar14news

    "
    Armstrong will cater to serious road racers with top end Trek bikes,
    similar to those Armstrong rode on his seven consecutive Tour de
    France victories, but also wants the shop to have wide appeal. He has
    plans to sell mountain bikes, commuter bikes, fixed wheels, low
    riders, handmade one-offs, and triathlon bikes.
    "

    I wonder if he'll be a dealer for bikes with legendary ride quality
    like these:
    http://www.lemondbikes.com/

  2. zzfranklin said:

    I wonder if he'll be a dealer for bikes with legendary ride quality like
    these:
    http://www.lemondbikes.com/

    And will he have this guy as a partner:
    http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/11/5lance.html

  3. Donald Munro asks

    Quoted message said:

    And will he have this guy as a partner:
    http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/11/5lance.html

    ... mechanic, driver, travel assistant and pool boy...you gotta admit,
    the guy is handier than Cato Calin...

    Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

  4. Donald Munro said:
    zzfranklin said:

    I wonder if he'll be a dealer for bikes with legendary ride quality like
    these:
    http://www.lemondbikes.com/

    That Lemond 'Sarthe' with the True Temper OX Steel frame
    is one sweet bike. Only wish it was built with something
    more like Dedacciai SAT 14.5 tubing.

  5. Quoted message said:

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/mar08/mar14news

    "
    Armstrong will cater to serious road racers with top end Trek bikes,
    similar to those Armstrong rode on his seven consecutive Tour de
    France victories, but also wants the shop to have wide appeal. He has
    plans to sell mountain bikes, commuter bikes, fixed wheels, low
    riders, handmade one-offs, and triathlon bikes.
    "

    Any store that tries to do everything cycling-wise (commuters, racers,
    mtn., low-riders ?) ends up sucking at everything.

  6. If Lance is smart he won't run the shop or hire a consultant. Racing
    and running a bike shop are different realms. One big advantage that
    Lance has is that he actually rides a bike. I was always amazed at how
    few people in the bike industry ride a bike. Most people in the bike
    business don't ride at all. Another problem is that there is far to
    little interaction between bicycle racing and bike business.

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/mar08/mar14news

    "
    Armstrong will cater to serious road racers with top end Trek bikes,
    similar to those Armstrong rode on his seven consecutive Tour de
    France victories, but also wants the shop to have wide appeal. He has
    plans to sell mountain bikes, commuter bikes, fixed wheels, low
    riders, handmade one-offs, and triathlon bikes.
    "

    I wonder if he'll be a dealer for bikes with legendary ride quality
    like these:http://www.lemondbikes.com/

  7. Bruce Gilbert said:

    I read a book called "The New Wellness Revolution" which had a


    strong effect

    Quoted message said:

    on me. I now believe that in order for the bike business to really take off
    in this country, it has to be bound up with adult wellness somehow. Bike
    shops are not projecting or reinforcing that image very well and neither are
    the bike manufacturers. How many bike company websites have a weight
    loss/control program on their websites, or in the info packet?

    Bruce

    Terry just did a webcast on weight control and biking and they've posted
    it on their website.

    http://www.terrybicycles.com/seminar.html

    I haven't watched it by my wife did. It was originally broadcast live
    and they got so many more folks trying to log on than they'd planned for
    that the server crashed.
    Of course Terry's for girls so it would have little effect on what guys
    want.

    David

  8. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If Lance is smart he won't run the shop or hire a consultant. Racing
    and running a bike shop are different realms. One big advantage that
    Lance has is that he actually rides a bike. I was always amazed at how
    few people in the bike industry ride a bike. Most people in the bike
    business don't ride at all. Another problem is that there is far to
    little interaction between bicycle racing and bike business.


    Most of the older folks in the bike business, who are the real players, are
    a bit older than the racing crowd. The same phenomenon is true for a large
    percentage of the people with the disposable income to buy the top end race
    bikes. I believe your comment about most people in the bike business don't
    ride is valid, to a degree. Most of us ride as much as they can. This exact
    observation was very much on my mind during the last Interbike. I would
    leave our booth to cruise the show and did observe how many wide-body
    participants were in the aisles and behind the tables.

    I read a book called "The New Wellness Revolution" which had a strong effect
    on me. I now believe that in order for the bike business to really take off
    in this country, it has to be bound up with adult wellness somehow. Bike
    shops are not projecting or reinforcing that image very well and neither are
    the bike manufacturers. How many bike company websites have a weight
    loss/control program on their websites, or in the info packet? I wonder if
    it is even practical in terms of liability, economics, etc.? Wouldn't it be
    interesting if cycling based weight-loss programs started showing up in bike
    shops. Race training information abounds in the bike world. Weight-loss and
    wellness would be broader based and have a more universal appeal. There are
    enough experts and good writers in this newsgroup alone, for a few folks to
    put their minds together in order to form an effective company. Anyone
    interested? If nothing else it would make a great marketing story...

    I did recently see that the LAB has formed some sort of relationship with
    AARP. Also, I have heard that there is a bike tour company somewhere that
    does bus tours for retirees. They seem to hit a lot of the organized rides
    around the country. That could be the start of low-cost wellness-oriented
    vacationing. Interesting idea...

    Bruce

  9. Bruce Gilbert said:

    "David B." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bruce Gilbert said:

    I read a book called "The New Wellness Revolution" which had a


    strong effect

    Quoted message said:

    on me. I now believe that in order for the bike business to really take


    off

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in this country, it has to be bound up with adult wellness somehow. Bike
    shops are not projecting or reinforcing that image very well and neither


    are

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the bike manufacturers. How many bike company websites have a weight
    loss/control program on their websites, or in the info packet?

    Bruce


    Terry just did a webcast on weight control and biking and they've posted
    it on their website.

    http://www.terrybicycles.com/seminar.html

    I haven't watched it by my wife did. It was originally broadcast live
    and they got so many more folks trying to log on than they'd planned for
    that the server crashed.
    Of course Terry's for girls so it would have little effect on what guys
    want.

    David

    They make men's seats too... there is hope for the company!

    Bruce


    Saddles, please!

  10. "David B." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bruce Gilbert said:

    I read a book called "The New Wellness Revolution" which had a


    strong effect

    Quoted message said:

    on me. I now believe that in order for the bike business to really take


    off

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in this country, it has to be bound up with adult wellness somehow. Bike
    shops are not projecting or reinforcing that image very well and neither


    are

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the bike manufacturers. How many bike company websites have a weight
    loss/control program on their websites, or in the info packet?

    Bruce

    Terry just did a webcast on weight control and biking and they've posted
    it on their website.

    http://www.terrybicycles.com/seminar.html

    I haven't watched it by my wife did. It was originally broadcast live
    and they got so many more folks trying to log on than they'd planned for
    that the server crashed.
    Of course Terry's for girls so it would have little effect on what guys
    want.

    David

    They make men's seats too... there is hope for the company!

    Bruce

  11. Bruce Gilbert said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...> If Lance is smart he won't run the shop or hire a consultant. Racing

    Quoted message said:

    and running a bike shop are different realms. One big advantage that
    Lance has is that he actually rides a bike. I was always amazed at how
    few people in the bike industry ride a bike. Most people in the bike
    business don't ride at all. Another problem is that there is far to
    little interaction between bicycle racing and bike business.

    Most of the older folks in the bike business, who are the real players, are
    a bit older than the racing crowd. The same phenomenon is true for a large
    percentage of the people with the disposable income to buy the top end race
    bikes. I believe your comment about most people in the bike business don't
    ride is valid, to a degree. Most of us ride as much as they can. This exact
    observation was very much on my mind during the last Interbike. I would
    leave our booth to cruise the show and did observe how many wide-body
    participants were in the aisles and behind the tables.

    I read a book called "The New Wellness Revolution" which had a strong effect
    on me. I now believe that in order for the bike business to really take off
    in this country, it has to be bound up with adult wellness somehow. Bike
    shops are not projecting or reinforcing that image very well and neither are
    the bike manufacturers. How many bike company websites have a weight
    loss/control program on their websites, or in the info packet? I wonder if
    it is even practical in terms of liability, economics, etc.? Wouldn't it be
    interesting if cycling based weight-loss programs started showing up in bike
    shops. Race training information abounds in the bike world. Weight-loss and
    wellness would be broader based and have a more universal appeal. There are
    enough experts and good writers in this newsgroup alone, for a few folks to
    put their minds together in order to form an effective company. Anyone
    interested? If nothing else it would make a great marketing story...

    One of the big challenges for cycling is to get more kids riding
    again. Many kids don't ride their bikes to school because of traffic
    and parents fear of crime. The ASO sponsored a TDF themed series of
    cycling contests around France a few years back. This the sort of
    thing the bike industry and the NBDA (national bicycle dealers
    association) needs to get involved in. The would help with the
    wellness issue you speak of.

    Quoted message said:

    I did recently see that the LAB has formed some sort of relationship with
    AARP. Also, I have heard that there is a bike tour company somewhere that
    does bus tours for retirees. They seem to hit a lot of the organized rides
    around the country. That could be the start of low-cost wellness-oriented
    vacationing. Interesting idea...

    Bruce

  12. Quoted message said:

    If Lance is smart he won't run the shop or hire a consultant. Racing
    and running a bike shop are different realms. One big advantage that
    Lance has is that he actually rides a bike. I was always amazed at how
    few people in the bike industry ride a bike. Most people in the bike
    business don't ride at all. Another problem is that there is far to
    little interaction between bicycle racing and bike business.


    ------------
    I think it has to do the ass opposite,
    .....distance itself from racing as much
    as possible. For most people, including
    myself, bike racing is a big turn-off.
    I didn't really like the people, when I
    was doing it myself. It's apples and
    oranges, but if you want to try your
    theory, open a bike shop that is
    specific only to bike racing, and see
    how many people come in. The average
    guy, I'm guessing, that wants to buy a
    bike, wants a little adventure, and to
    stay fit and lose a little weight.
    That's light years from the haughtiness,
    and self absorption that bike racers
    cling on to.

  13. "Crescentius Vespasianus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I think it has to do the ass opposite, ....distance itself from racing as much as
    possible. For most people, including myself, bike racing is a big turn-off. I didn't
    really like the people, when I was doing it myself. It's apples and oranges, but if you
    want to try your theory, open a bike shop that is specific only to bike racing, and see
    how many people come in. The average guy, I'm guessing, that wants to buy a bike, wants
    a little adventure, and to stay fit and lose a little weight. That's light years from
    the haughtiness, and self absorption that bike racers cling on to.

    OK, who let this FRED get in here?

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Crescentius Vespasianus said:
    Quoted message said:

    If Lance is smart he won't run the shop or hire a consultant. Racing
    and running a bike shop are different realms. One big advantage that
    Lance has is that he actually rides a bike. I was always amazed at how
    few people in the bike industry ride a bike. Most people in the bike
    business don't ride at all. Another problem is that there is far to
    little interaction between bicycle racing and bike business.


    ------------
    I think it has to do the ass opposite,
    ....distance itself from racing as much
    as possible. For most people, including
    myself, bike racing is a big turn-off.
    I didn't really like the people, when I
    was doing it myself.

    You were doing it wrong.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
    "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

  15. "Ryan Cousineau" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:rcousine-E01EAA.17463919032008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]...

    Quoted message said:
    Crescentius Vespasianus said:

    ------------
    I think it has to do the ass opposite,
    ....distance itself from racing as much
    as possible. For most people, including
    myself, bike racing is a big turn-off.
    I didn't really like the people, when I
    was doing it myself.

    You were doing it wrong.

    But he'll never understand how or why.

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tom Kunich' cyclintom@yahoo. com said:

    "Ryan Cousineau" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:rcousine-E01EAA.17463919032008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]...

    Quoted message said:
    Crescentius Vespasianus said:

    ------------
    I think it has to do the ass opposite,
    ....distance itself from racing as much
    as possible. For most people, including
    myself, bike racing is a big turn-off.
    I didn't really like the people, when I
    was doing it myself.

    You were doing it wrong.

    But he'll never understand how or why.

    You were, too.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
    "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

  17. Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Crescentius Vespasianus said:
    Quoted message said:

    If Lance is smart he won't run the shop or hire a consultant. Racing
    and running a bike shop are different realms. One big advantage that
    Lance has is that he actually rides a bike. I was always amazed at how
    few people in the bike industry ride a bike. Most people in the bike
    business don't ride at all. Another problem is that there is far to
    little interaction between bicycle racing and bike business.


    ------------
    I think it has to do the ass opposite,
    ....distance itself from racing as much
    as possible. For most people, including
    myself, bike racing is a big turn-off.
    I didn't really like the people, when I
    was doing it myself.

    You were doing it wrong.


    ----------
    I should have done something like ski
    jumping, at least there is a fan base in
    that sport.

  18. "Ryan Cousineau" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:rcousine-3FA8F8.18010119032008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tom Kunich' cyclintom@yahoo. com said:

    "Ryan Cousineau" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:rcousine-E01EAA.17463919032008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]...

    Quoted message said:

    Crescentius Vespasianus <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > ------------
    > I think it has to do the ass opposite,
    > ....distance itself from racing as much
    > as possible. For most people, including
    > myself, bike racing is a big turn-off.
    > I didn't really like the people, when I
    > was doing it myself.

    You were doing it wrong.

    But he'll never understand how or why.

    You were, too.

    And how was I doing it?

  19. "Crescentius Vespasianus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ------------
    I think it has to do the ass opposite, ....distance itself from racing
    as much as possible. For most people, including myself, bike racing is
    a big turn-off. I didn't really like the people, when I was doing it
    myself.

    You were doing it wrong.


    ----------
    I should have done something like ski jumping, at least there is a fan
    base in that sport.

    If that's your priority...

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tom Kunich' cyclintom@yahoo. com said:

    "Ryan Cousineau" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:rcousine-3FA8F8.18010119032008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tom Kunich' cyclintom@yahoo. com said:

    "Ryan Cousineau" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:rcousine-E01EAA.17463919032008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]...
    > Crescentius Vespasianus <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >> ------------
    >> I think it has to do the ass opposite,
    >> ....distance itself from racing as much
    >> as possible. For most people, including
    >> myself, bike racing is a big turn-off.
    >> I didn't really like the people, when I
    >> was doing it myself.
    >
    > You were doing it wrong.

    But he'll never understand how or why.

    You were, too.

    And how was I doing it?

    You never left Cat 5 and you declined to contest sprints. You should
    have done time trials and stuck with it.

    Even a personal best is sort of honourable.

    At least you didn't ride in Harrison Hot Springs:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rcousine/2336500893/

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
    "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.