General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Lamb in Houston/Galveston area

Started by Goomba38 · · Last activity · 15 posts · 338 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 November 2005
Last activity
9 November 2005
Original author
Goomba38
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
338
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I want my sister to try that fabulous Cardamom Spiced Meatloaf recipe
    I've posted before. I even sent her a small baggie with all the spices,
    as I know she's not going to have all of them. Her mailbox should have
    been delightfully fragrant. 🙂
    The recipe calls for either all ground beef (I suggested chuck to her)
    or half ground chuck and half ground lamb, which I found to be a
    delicious combination. She says it is near impossible to find any lamb,
    none less ground lamb down in the Houston/Galveston area. If I can find
    it in podunk Georgia, I'm surprised she will have a problem?
    Anyone know a store to suggest?
    Goomba

  2. <<crossposted to houston.eats>>

    "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I want my sister to try that fabulous Cardamom Spiced Meatloaf recipe
    I've posted before. I even sent her a small baggie with all the spices,
    as I know she's not going to have all of them. Her mailbox should have
    been delightfully fragrant. 🙂

    Why wouldn't she be able to find the spices locally?

    Quoted message said:

    The recipe calls for either all ground beef (I suggested chuck to her)
    or half ground chuck and half ground lamb, which I found to be a
    delicious combination. She says it is near impossible to find any
    lamb, none less ground lamb down in the Houston/Galveston area. If I
    can find it in podunk Georgia, I'm surprised she will have a problem?
    Anyone know a store to suggest?

    I'm surprised she'd have any problems finding pretty much anything in
    the Houston area. I can't think of anything unavailable here. Houston is
    the fourth-largest city in the U.S. and has all types of stores/markets.

    Where in the area does she live?

    Mary

  3. On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 17:39:33 -0500, Goomba38 <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    The recipe calls for either all ground beef (I suggested chuck to her)
    or half ground chuck and half ground lamb, which I found to be a
    delicious combination. She says it is near impossible to find any lamb,
    none less ground lamb down in the Houston/Galveston area.

    Houston has a Central Market: I would be very surprised if they don't
    have lamb.

    Christine

  4. On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 17:39:33 -0500, Goomba38 <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    The recipe calls for either all ground beef (I suggested chuck to her)
    or half ground chuck and half ground lamb, which I found to be a
    delicious combination. She says it is near impossible to find any lamb,
    none less ground lamb down in the Houston/Galveston area.

    Houston has a Central Market: I would be very surprised if they don't
    have lamb.

    Christine

  5. On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 17:39:33 -0500, Goomba38 <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I want my sister to try that fabulous Cardamom Spiced Meatloaf recipe
    I've posted before. I even sent her a small baggie with all the spices,
    as I know she's not going to have all of them. Her mailbox should have
    been delightfully fragrant. 🙂

    Houston has a Penzeys as well...she should be able to find the spices.
    Christine

  6. On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 17:39:33 -0500, Goomba38 <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I want my sister to try that fabulous Cardamom Spiced Meatloaf recipe
    I've posted before. I even sent her a small baggie with all the spices,
    as I know she's not going to have all of them. Her mailbox should have
    been delightfully fragrant. 🙂

    Houston has a Penzeys as well...she should be able to find the spices.
    Christine

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Goomba38 said:

    I want my sister to try that fabulous Cardamom Spiced Meatloaf recipe
    I've posted before. I even sent her a small baggie with all the spices,
    as I know she's not going to have all of them. Her mailbox should have
    been delightfully fragrant. 🙂
    The recipe calls for either all ground beef (I suggested chuck to her)
    or half ground chuck and half ground lamb, which I found to be a
    delicious combination. She says it is near impossible to find any lamb,
    none less ground lamb down in the Houston/Galveston area. If I can find
    it in podunk Georgia, I'm surprised she will have a problem?
    Anyone know a store to suggest?
    Goomba

    Probably an upscale Randalls (used to be Tom Thumb in Dallas) would have
    ground lamb. I used to get lamb at Tom Thumb when I lived in Dallas.
    She might try Whole Foods, Central Market, or Fiesta Market.

    Cindy

    --
    C.J. Fuller

    Delete the obvious to email me

  8. MareCat said:

    <<crossposted to houston.eats>>

    "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I want my sister to try that fabulous Cardamom Spiced Meatloaf recipe
    I've posted before. I even sent her a small baggie with all the spices,
    as I know she's not going to have all of them. Her mailbox should have
    been delightfully fragrant. 🙂

    Why wouldn't she be able to find the spices locally?


    She'd not have any trouble finding the spices, but money is tight and
    buying a container of cardamom for just one recipe would probably be a
    splurge she doesn't need to make right now. That's why I thought it
    would be nice to send the spices ready to go for her.
    It is the ground lamb she has no clue where to get. SHe claims lamb is
    hard to come by down there?
    Goomba

  9. Goomba38 said:
    MareCat said:

    <<crossposted to houston.eats>>

    "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I want my sister to try that fabulous Cardamom Spiced Meatloaf recipe
    I've posted before. I even sent her a small baggie with all the
    spices, as I know she's not going to have all of them. Her mailbox
    should have been delightfully fragrant. 🙂

    Why wouldn't she be able to find the spices locally?


    She'd not have any trouble finding the spices, but money is tight and
    buying a container of cardamom for just one recipe would probably be a
    splurge she doesn't need to make right now. That's why I thought it
    would be nice to send the spices ready to go for her.
    It is the ground lamb she has no clue where to get. SHe claims lamb is
    hard to come by down there?
    Goomba


    Goomba, does she have a bulk food store in her area? If so, I have
    often bought just enough of a spice there to use for a recipe when I
    know it will be a spice I likely won't use a lot of. A lot of the
    spices are considerably cheaper there too. The one I shop at is called
    Bulk Barn but I'm sure there are others & some grocery stores have a
    small bulk spice & foods section. HTH

  10. ~patches~ said:
    Goomba38 said:
    MareCat said:

    <<crossposted to houston.eats>>

    "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    > I want my sister to try that fabulous Cardamom Spiced Meatloaf
    > recipe I've posted before. I even sent her a small baggie with all
    > the spices, as I know she's not going to have all of them. Her
    > mailbox should have been delightfully fragrant. 🙂

    Why wouldn't she be able to find the spices locally?


    She'd not have any trouble finding the spices, but money is tight and
    buying a container of cardamom for just one recipe would probably be a
    splurge she doesn't need to make right now. That's why I thought it
    would be nice to send the spices ready to go for her.
    It is the ground lamb she has no clue where to get. SHe claims lamb is
    hard to come by down there?
    Goomba

    Goomba, does she have a bulk food store in her area? If so, I have
    often bought just enough of a spice there to use for a recipe when I
    know it will be a spice I likely won't use a lot of. A lot of the
    spices are considerably cheaper there too. The one I shop at is called
    Bulk Barn but I'm sure there are others & some grocery stores have a
    small bulk spice & foods section. HTH

    Where do you find a Bulk Barn in Houston? I haven't seen anything like
    it. There are plenty of places with bulk spices but that's a new one on
    me. Even the 99 cents store sells small spice packets. Penzeys has
    pretty small jars as well.

    Lamb rends to be NZ legs but I suspect that some places like Central
    Market would have it ground. The best idea probably is to try a market
    in the large Muslim or Hindu areas. I cannot imagine that they would
    not have lamb. Start out on Hilcroft.

  11. On 11/3/05 10:18 AM, in article [email hidden],

    Frank F. Matthews said:
    ~patches~ said:
    Goomba38 said:

    MareCat wrote:

    > <<crossposted to houston.eats>>
    >
    > "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    >
    >> I want my sister to try that fabulous Cardamom Spiced Meatloaf
    >> recipe I've posted before. I even sent her a small baggie with all
    >> the spices, as I know she's not going to have all of them. Her
    >> mailbox should have been delightfully fragrant. 🙂
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Why wouldn't she be able to find the spices locally?
    >
    She'd not have any trouble finding the spices, but money is tight and
    buying a container of cardamom for just one recipe would probably be a
    splurge she doesn't need to make right now. That's why I thought it
    would be nice to send the spices ready to go for her.
    It is the ground lamb she has no clue where to get. SHe claims lamb is
    hard to come by down there?
    Goomba

    Goomba, does she have a bulk food store in her area? If so, I have
    often bought just enough of a spice there to use for a recipe when I
    know it will be a spice I likely won't use a lot of. A lot of the
    spices are considerably cheaper there too. The one I shop at is called
    Bulk Barn but I'm sure there are others & some grocery stores have a
    small bulk spice & foods section. HTH

    Where do you find a Bulk Barn in Houston? I haven't seen anything like
    it. There are plenty of places with bulk spices but that's a new one on
    me. Even the 99 cents store sells small spice packets. Penzeys has
    pretty small jars as well.

    Lamb rends to be NZ legs but I suspect that some places like Central
    Market would have it ground. The best idea probably is to try a market
    in the large Muslim or Hindu areas. I cannot imagine that they would
    not have lamb. Start out on Hilcroft.


    Belden's (N, Brasewood@Chimney Rock has extra lean ground lamb patties on
    sale for $2.99 lb. At least they did on Monday. Normally $3.99lb.

    _______________________________________________________________________________
    Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
    <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>


  12. Quoted message said:


    Where do you find a Bulk Barn in Houston? I haven't seen anything like
    it. There are plenty of places with bulk spices but that's a new one on
    me. Even the 99 cents store sells small spice packets. Penzeys has
    pretty small jars as well.

    Lamb rends to be NZ legs but I suspect that some places like Central
    Market would have it ground. The best idea probably is to try a market
    in the large Muslim or Hindu areas. I cannot imagine that they would
    not have lamb. Start out on Hilcroft.

    There are some good butchers on Hillcroft but make sure it is lamb
    unless you know how to cook mutton. Most Krogers, and Rice markets have
    lamb, not always ground though. Sam's and Costco often have it, but it
    may be in family packs and Central Market and Whole Foods always have
    top quality (read expensive) lamb. Spices can be picked up in small
    packets at almost any supermarket but things like cardamom and fenugreek
    are better being bought at the Indian supermarkets, the quality is
    better and you get ten times as much for your money. Most Fiesta stores
    have bulk spice bins where you can get as little or as much as you want
    or can afford.

    jj

  13. Jeremy said:

    There are some good butchers on Hillcroft but make sure it is lamb
    unless you know how to cook mutton.

    Would they label it as "mutton" or lamb?

  14. Goomba38 said:


    Jeremy said:

    There are some good butchers on Hillcroft but make sure it is lamb
    unless you know how to cook mutton.

    Would they label it as "mutton" or lamb?

    They do not label anything, you point to the carcass and tell them what
    you want. As for the definition of lamb, the USA has the oldest lambs in
    the world :-)

    JJ

  15. Cindy Fuller said:

    Probably an upscale Randalls (used to be Tom Thumb in Dallas) would have
    ground lamb. I used to get lamb at Tom Thumb when I lived in Dallas.
    She might try Whole Foods, Central Market, or Fiesta Market.

    I've bought lamb at Fiesta and I've seen at HEB. Both in the Mission
    Bend area which is fairly ethnically diverse.

    --Charlene

    --
    Temps: Migrant workers in business clothes. -- Bayan, Rick; The
    Cynic's Dictionary, 2002

    email perronnelle at earthlink . net

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.