LA Times sunday front page-Lance

I don't agree. Did you actually read the whole article?I was stunned to read that the reason there was NO EPO in his final stages of theTour '99 urine samples was because after injecting EPO after a period of time your own production shuts off and that is why he didn't have even a normal amount of naturally occurring EPO in his urine.It really spoils the "spiked urine samples" theory. How would the lab remove all EPO traces for just the final days of the Tour? He had strong positive readings for the first 6 urine samples and then no EPO after establishing a strong lead in the Tour. Ashendon seemed very credible.
What about Ferrari acknowledging his secret meeting with Armstrong in his Camping Car off a Milan autoroute because of his bad reputation?
I thought there was a lot of completely new info.

I hadn't read about the Vaughters / Andreau text messages yet. Haha! Can't wait to see everyone explain how Vaughters also hates Lance.

It's a giant conspiracy: Frankie Andreau's wife is the nefarious ringleader. The object: frame Lance! First Andreau's wife uses money provided by **** Pound to pay off researchers at French labs and Emma O'Reilly. Then she convinces Frankie to steal Vaughters cell phone so that she can send fake text messages. Oh, and she gets Swart to lie about EPO usage. She also completely sullies the reputation of honest Doctor Michele Ferrari. All Ferrari wanted to do with his medical career is help sick orphans, but after Mrs. Andreau got done with him, the whole world thinks that he has been a sports fraud willing to help the highest bidder cheat his way into race wins and an apologists for drugs like EPO.

Poor Dr. Ferrari!

Man, she is good.

KARMA129 said:
I don't agree. Did you actually read the whole article? ...
I thought there was a lot of completely new info.
Yep, I read the whole thing. Sure there were new things in terms of the details of the various depositions, but it doesn't really change things since the case is settled. No one is going to reopen any case against Lance re: the EPO. Ergo, to me it's same ol', same ol'. And, I'm not a Lance-ophile, just being realistic.

Hm...on second thought, perhaps Lemond can sue LA for defamation of character over the alcholic and drug abuser characterization. :cool:

sydsyd said:
Yep, I read the whole thing. Sure there were new things in terms of the details of the various depositions, but it doesn't really change things since the case is settled. No one is going to reopen any case against Lance re: the EPO. Ergo, to me it's same ol', same ol'. And, I'm not a Lance-ophile, just being realistic.

Hm...on second thought, perhaps Lemond can sue LA for defamation of character over the alcholic and drug abuser characterization. :cool:

Lemond would lose....... Lemond drinking stories are legend around here.

wolfix said:
Lemond would lose....... Lemond drinking stories are legend around here.
It seems to me the one who talks about loving his beer and fine wine is Armstrong.Pretty much every interview he throws in the Shiner Bock or how happy he is to be able to party.I saw him in People magazine with some girl leaving a nightclub looking pretty wasted to me.
As for the drug abuse allegation I think we've established that Lance is usually the one with drug rumors around him.

This is definitely my favorite quote in the article:

"'Yeah, it's very complex how [they] avoid all the controls now, but it's not any new drug or anything, just the resources and planning to pull off a well devised plan," said the participant identified as 'Cyclevaughters.'"

KARMA129 said:
It seems to me the one who talks about loving his beer and fine wine is Armstrong.Pretty much every interview he throws in the Shiner Bock or how happy he is to be able to party.I saw him in People magazine with some girl leaving a nightclub looking pretty wasted to me.
As for the drug abuse allegation I think we've established that Lance is usually the one with drug rumors around him.

Well, considering he's avoided alcohol and the 'party' life style for almost a decade, I think he can get "wasted" now.

The important thing here is not Lemonds lifestyle, it is all the new information in this article. The 1995 start of EPO use on Motorola and that same year the dramatic improvement in results by Armstrong. Lance even testified that Frankie was not lying about this-just that he wasn't there for the conversation where the other riders talked about needing to go on EPO to be competitive.It was surprising to me that Frankie implicated himself in the start of EPO use on Motorola. It also backs up the reason that Lance talked openly about his drug use in front of the Andreu's in the hospital -Frankie already knew all about it. Levels of over 50% in hematocrit on the Motorola riders during testing in the '95 Tour mountain stages by all the riders, except Swart who says he only made it to a 47 while on EPO.Armstrong was given EPO before cancer and just after cancer treatment so he knew it would not be dangerous to continue taking it once he went back to pro racing. That is why it was in his urine in '99. There is no one more aggressively competitive than Lance and I think that even after cancer his desire to win was stronger than ever and he would do whatever he had to do to win.