rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Koxx hub on nimbus long neck...options?

Started by Spencer Hochberg · · Last activity · 20 posts · 347 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
7 December 2006
Last activity
20 December 2006
Original author
Spencer Hochberg
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
347
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So I turning my splined koxx 20" wheel into a freestyle uni now and I
    want a long neck frame. I tried to order a semcycle freestyle frame but
    they are out of them and don't know exactly when they are getting more
    in. So I would just get that new 07 nimbus but I might have a problem
    with the bearings. The koxx bearings are 42mm and the nimbus frame has
    machined bearing holders for 40mm bearings.

    This is what is on the koxx website about their signature frame...
    [image:
    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q5/Spencer_Hochberg/Picture1-2.png]

    It has machined bearing holders and says it will fit 40 and 42mm
    bearings so is it possible that the nimbus will take 42mm bearings
    also?

    Evan told me the 22x42mm bearings are shimmed to fit on the koxx axle
    so it might be possible to get the torker 20x40 bearings and see how
    that goes but then I would also need to buy an isis crank puller to
    switch the bearings.

    Does anyone have thoughts about how to make this work?

    --
    Spencer Hochberg

    'Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer'
    (http://Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer)
    AIM: Litldude2
    Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)

    GizmoDuck said:

    If you sit up straight you're about as aerodynamic as a flying brick
    wall


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  2. I can't say anything about the new Nimbus frame, but I was running a
    Koxx One hub in my older Nimbus X (non long neck) with no problem at
    all. It actually fit in the Nimbus X frame a lot nicer than my Nimbus
    II frame.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew361
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    andrew361's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10444
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  3. andrew361 said:

    I can't say anything about the new Nimbus frame, but I was running a
    Koxx One hub in my older Nimbus X (non long neck) with no problem at
    all. It actually fit in the Nimbus X frame a lot nicer than my Nimbus
    II frame.

    Andrew

    Yeah, but you use this kind of bearing holder.
    [image:
    http://unicycle.com/images/catalog/hardware/frames/tn_UnitedBrackets.jpg]
    So as long as it is close to the bearing size it will work but with the
    machined holders it fits more exactly. I am not sure how exact it is
    though...

    --
    Spencer Hochberg

    'Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer'
    (http://Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer)
    AIM: Litldude2
    Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)

    GizmoDuck said:

    If you sit up straight you're about as aerodynamic as a flying brick
    wall


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  4. Do you know anyone with a CNC mill?

    --
    Borgschulze

    Torker DX!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  5. Borgschulze said:

    Do you know anyone with a CNC mill?

    You dont need a cnc to make bearing holders.

    --
    Evan Byrne
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  6. Evan Byrne said:

    You dont need a cnc to make bearing holders.

    You're right, just get a big bit to cut into it. Manual Mill will work
    fine.

    --
    Borgschulze

    Torker DX!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  7. Roger told me that the 42mm bearings will not fit in there but I also
    have a Udc freestyle wheel in my garage with 40mm bearings so I ordered
    the frame anyway. I still would much rather use the koxx wheel so I am
    going to see about getting different bearings for the koxx hub. I just
    need to know the OD of the axle since the bearings it comes with are
    shimmed to fit on there. I think I might be able to take the shims off
    and use smaller bearings, I need to check on that.

    --
    Spencer Hochberg

    'Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer'
    (http://Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer)
    AIM: Litldude2
    Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)

    GizmoDuck said:

    If you sit up straight you're about as aerodynamic as a flying brick
    wall


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  8. Why don't you go to your local bearing store and have them take a look
    at it?

    --
    ntappin

    'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
    (http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ntappin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10800
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  9. ntappin said:

    Why don't you go to your local bearing store and have them take a look
    at it?

    I dont think I have a bearing store, I could take it to a bike shop
    maybe...I can't take the cranks off though. I guess if I was going to a
    bike shop anyway I could have them do it.

    Oh and I would just order some bearings online but I don't know the
    diameter of the axle...

    --
    Spencer Hochberg

    'Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer'
    (http://Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer)
    AIM: Litldude2
    Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)

    GizmoDuck said:

    If you sit up straight you're about as aerodynamic as a flying brick
    wall


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  10. Why can't you take off the cranks. I though they were regular Koxx
    cranks?

    --
    maximus unius

    Quoted message said:

    Originally Posted by *Beener*
    Is ISIS, ISIS, is ISIS not ISIS, is KOXX ISIS really ISIS, is Kris Holm
    ISIS more ISIS than KOXX ISIS, ISISISISISIS!


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    maximus unius's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13699
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  11. maximus unius said:

    Why can't you take off the cranks. I though they were regular Koxx
    cranks?

    They are so I need a crank puller.

    --
    Spencer Hochberg

    'Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer'
    (http://Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer)
    AIM: Litldude2
    Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)

    GizmoDuck said:

    If you sit up straight you're about as aerodynamic as a flying brick
    wall


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  12. 'Why don't you try them?' (http://tinyurl.com/yjfuz5)

    Santa Clarita, Bearing
    25520 Avenue Stanford Ste 307
    Valencia, CA 91355

    (661) 295-0760

    --
    ntappin

    'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
    (http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ntappin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10800
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  13. ntappin said:

    'Why don't you try them?' (http://tinyurl.com/yjfuz5)

    Santa Clarita, Bearing
    25520 Avenue Stanford Ste 307
    Valencia, CA 91355

    (661) 295-0760

    haha thanks. It would be better to find the size of the axle then look
    for the bearings instead of trying a whole bunch of different bearings
    and seeing if they fit.

    --
    Spencer Hochberg

    'Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer'
    (http://Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer)
    AIM: Litldude2
    Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)

    GizmoDuck said:

    If you sit up straight you're about as aerodynamic as a flying brick
    wall


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  14. Spencer Hochberg said:

    haha thanks. It would be better to find the size of the axle then look
    for the bearings instead of trying a whole bunch of different bearings
    and seeing if they fit.

    I was thinking more along the lines of, bring your axle into the shop,
    have them do all the dirty work 😉 .

    --
    ntappin

    'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
    (http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ntappin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10800
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  15. Ha, that would work too.

    --
    Spencer Hochberg

    'Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer'
    (http://Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer)
    AIM: Litldude2
    Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)

    GizmoDuck said:

    If you sit up straight you're about as aerodynamic as a flying brick
    wall


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  16. Hey so I got my frame today. I have it on my old nimbus wheel that Evan
    gave me a couple years ago. I really don't like the cranks, they are
    very uncomfortable to stand on. I think I have the cranks form my old
    16" sun uni on there. I still want to use that koxx wheel if it is
    possible.
    Here is a pic of my uni right now. It is a horrible picture because I
    took it with my webcam that is built into my laptop.
    [image:
    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q5/Spencer_Hochberg/Photo32.jpg]

    I was wondering how horrible it would be for my bearings if I bought
    some longer bolts and set it up like this? I would assume it would kill
    them faster because it is tightened on only 4 points.
    [image:
    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q5/Spencer_Hochberg/Photo38.jpg]
    (that picture is mirrored because it does that automatically)

    If anyone knows the size of the axle I would still like to try to get
    bearings to fit if they exist.

    Spencer Hochberg said:


    This is what is on the koxx website about their signature frame...
    [image:
    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q5/Spencer_Hochberg/Picture1-2.png]

    I had that pic on my photobucket but I deleted it because I forgot I
    had posted it there. Oh well.

    --
    Spencer Hochberg

    'Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer'
    (http://Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer)
    AIM: Litldude2
    Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    'Bedford Unicycles'
    (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)
    PS this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were
    eliminated.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  17. Spencer Hochberg said:

    If anyone knows the size of the axle I would still like to try to get
    bearings to fit if they exist.

    My Koxx hub is 22mm. As you probably already know the Koxx hub has a
    shim/spacer that allows for 42mm x 25mm x 12mm to be used. It also
    looks like the KH hub is 22mm and just uses Qu-ax 42mm x 22mm x 12mm
    bearings.

    I have looked for 40mm x 22mm x 12mm and 40mm x 25mm x 12mm bearings
    and have not been able to find either one. If you do find a source let
    us know.

    --
    jayhawker
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jayhawker's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11274
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  18. [censored], well the torker bearings are 40x20x12 but the axle is 2mm too big.

    --
    Spencer Hochberg

    'Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer'
    (http://Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer)
    AIM: Litldude2
    Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    'Bedford Unicycles'
    (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)
    PS this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were
    eliminated.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  19. What tire is that Spencer?

    --
    Borgschulze

    Sponsored by My Mom.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

  20. Borgschulze said:

    What tire is that Spencer?

    Maxxis Miracle

    --
    Evan Byrne
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55509

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.