Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Kona Kikapu Deluxe recommendations/pricing?

Started by RobWoozle · · Last activity · 7 posts · 698 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
28 March 2006
Last activity
30 March 2006
Original author
RobWoozle
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
698
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. OK....so I've got $2k to spend on a new MTB. My Giant Iguana hardtail
    is entering its fifth year of faithful service and needs a rest ;-)

    I've done some research and my LBS has the Kona Kikapu Deluxe for
    AU$1999.

    I've had a quick read over at mtbreview.com and it gets a good write
    up. Also Mountain Biking Australlia liked the '05 model.

    Anyone riding the '06 model yet, I'd be interested in your opinions
    (and if you paid less!!)

    FWIW, I ride a lot but don't race MTB much, when I do they are longer
    events like the MONT 24. I don't want this bike for anything but
    offroad. Most of my riding is at Majura Pines in the ACT which is just
    out my back door!

    Thanks,
    Rob

  2. RobWoozle said:

    I've done some research and my LBS has the Kona Kikapu Deluxe for
    AU$1999.

    I've had a quick read over at mtbreview.com and it gets a good write
    up. Also Mountain Biking Australlia liked the '05 model.

    Random Dave rides a 'Pu & no doubt will be along shortly. If you're not
    planning on to much sillyness and want something quick the 'Pu will fit
    the bill.

    Hmm, TonyF rides a Coiler & Petulance rides a Cinder Cone. I'm beginning
    to feel left out - am I the only Sydney a.b'er that doesn't ride a Kona?

    Parbs

  3. RobWoozle said:

    I've had a quick read over at mtbreview.com and it gets a good write up.
    Also Mountain Biking Australlia liked the '05 model.

    Just be aware that Kona have played silly buggers over the past few years
    with spec levels. My '03 Kikapu is more like the spec of this year's King
    Kik. That said, the Kik deluxe isn't a bad bit o' kit.

    Quoted message said:

    FWIW, I ride a lot but don't race MTB much, when I do they are longer
    events like the MONT 24. I don't want this bike for anything but
    offroad. Most of my riding is at Majura Pines in the ACT which is just
    out my back door!

    Good bike for that kind of thing. Strong enough to handle the gully jumps,
    but still light enough not to be a pain on the uphills. Mine will be out
    at Dargle for the 3rd time this weekend, and I'm still stupid enough to
    solo, so it can't be that uncomfortable.

    Dave - who has done a couple of Monts on that bike as well, albeit in
    teams

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
    There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.
    - Dr. Who

  4. Parbs said:


    Hmm, TonyF rides a Coiler & Petulance rides a Cinder Cone. I'm beginning
    to feel left out - am I the only Sydney a.b'er that doesn't ride a Kona?

    If I had waited another 6 - 8 weeks for the Giant dealers to clear
    their '05 stock, I would have bought a Giant XTC2 instead of the Cinder
    Cone. The Cinder Cone seems to weigh a ton compared to the Giant XTCs!

  5. quote='petulance'Parbs said:


    Hmm, TonyF rides a Coiler & Petulance rides a Cinder Cone. I'm beginning
    to feel left out - am I the only Sydney a.b'er that doesn't ride a Kona?

    If I had waited another 6 - 8 weeks for the Giant dealers to clear
    their '05 stock, I would have bought a Giant XTC2 instead of the Cinder
    Cone. The Cinder Cone seems to weigh a ton compared to the Giant XTCs![/QUOTE]

    a number of the Games mtb gals were riding XTCs

  6. Thanks all. It really is looking like the bike for me and the price is
    OK as well.

    Guess I'll be visiting the LBS for a test ride around the block this
    weekend!

    Hoo Roo,
    Rob

  7. Parbs:

    Quoted message said:

    Random Dave rides a 'Pu & no doubt will be along shortly. If you're not
    planning on to much sillyness and want something quick the 'Pu will fit
    the bill.

    Hmm, TonyF rides a Coiler & Petulance rides a Cinder Cone. I'm beginning
    to feel left out - am I the only Sydney a.b'er that doesn't ride a Kona?

    Kona - the new Giant. (only better!) ;^)

    I can't comment on a Pu, although a guy at work has one and really likes it,
    but my Coiler has been very good - doing exactly what I wanted from it. Mind
    you, less weight would be good, but I wanted (nay, NEEDED) something heavy
    duty after breaking too many lighter bikes.

    Tony F

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.