General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

knee health - why does my knee hurt?

Started by Brian Link · · Last activity · 16 posts · 1,565 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 September 2005
Last activity
14 October 2005
Original author
Brian Link
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,565
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been lifting again after a long layoff. I'm 43, started lifting
    in earnest again at 40 after ignoring it since High School. My typical
    routine is:

    1. Squats
    2. Good Mornings
    3. Dumb-bell bench press
    4. Seated row or lat pulldowns
    5. Calf Raises
    6. Arnold DB presses

    Usually 3 sets of each, occasionally supplemented (if I'm not totally
    whupped) by more targeted work like skullcrushers, bicep curls, quad
    extensions, etc. (I have a lot of trouble with stamina with a full
    workout - though I take courage from a quote I've heard "If you spend
    more than an hour in the gym you're making friends, not progress" -
    but I digress)

    I lift without incident, but often, several hours later, I'll get some
    pain in my right knee.

    What should I look out for with knee pain? What's the difference
    between a torn meniscus and arthritis? What's "normal" knee pain?

    I have mild scoliosis, and am wondering whether this is an issue with
    my lifting.

    My squats are sumo-style and quite low. Haven't had a lifter evaluate
    me, but from the mirror it seems like I break parallel. I never lock
    my knees with Good Mornings or Calf Raises. I've never had problems
    with my knees before.

    Looking for a little info. Thanks as always.

    BLink

  2. Brian Link said:

    I have mild scoliosis, and am wondering whether this is an issue with
    my lifting.

    I don't know about it being an issue with your lifting, but I bet it's
    an issue with the rest of your life.

    I'm your age, similar history, and IIRC you used to be pretty fat at one
    point, too, right?

    Knees take a lot of [censored] when you're out of alignment for something. It
    could be ankle flexibility is poor, it could be over or under pronation,
    it could be tight thigh muscles that impinge range of motion, it could
    be hip socket issues, it could be heel pain (plantar fasciitis)that
    makes you limp ... if one piece is screwed up then the knee takes the grief.

    I don't know who the right person is to see about this. My Mom's a
    neuromuscular massage therapist and she's always harping at me about
    alignment. A chiropractor might be helpful. There's some mythical
    perfect sports therapist that I've never seen in real life that people
    like - a physiotherapist I think it's called. An orthopedist will want
    to operate.

    My feeling about all this is that God heals and doctors send the bills.
    Figure it out for yourself. And buy some new running shoes.

    Dally

  3. Dally said:
    Brian Link said:

    I have mild scoliosis, and am wondering whether this is an issue with
    my lifting.

    I don't know about it being an issue with your lifting, but I bet it's
    an issue with the rest of your life.

    I'm your age, similar history, and IIRC you used to be pretty fat at one
    point, too, right?

    Knees take a lot of [censored] when you're out of alignment for something. It
    could be ankle flexibility is poor, it could be over or under pronation,
    it could be tight thigh muscles that impinge range of motion, it could
    be hip socket issues, it could be heel pain (plantar fasciitis)that
    makes you limp ... if one piece is screwed up then the knee takes the grief.

    I don't know who the right person is to see about this. My Mom's a
    neuromuscular massage therapist and she's always harping at me about
    alignment. A chiropractor might be helpful. There's some mythical
    perfect sports therapist that I've never seen in real life that people
    like - a physiotherapist I think it's called. An orthopedist will want
    to operate.

    My feeling about all this is that God heals and doctors send the bills.
    Figure it out for yourself. And buy some new running shoes.

    You are such a wise person Wendy Marsden.

  4. "Brian Link" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been lifting again after a long layoff. I'm 43, started lifting
    in earnest again at 40 after ignoring it since High School. My typical
    routine is:

    1. Squats
    2. Good Mornings
    3. Dumb-bell bench press
    4. Seated row or lat pulldowns
    5. Calf Raises
    6. Arnold DB presses

    Usually 3 sets of each, occasionally supplemented (if I'm not totally
    whupped) by more targeted work like skullcrushers, bicep curls, quad
    extensions, etc. (I have a lot of trouble with stamina with a full
    workout - though I take courage from a quote I've heard "If you spend
    more than an hour in the gym you're making friends, not progress" -
    but I digress)

    I lift without incident, but often, several hours later, I'll get some
    pain in my right knee.

    What should I look out for with knee pain? What's the difference
    between a torn meniscus and arthritis? What's "normal" knee pain?

    I have mild scoliosis, and am wondering whether this is an issue with
    my lifting.

    My squats are sumo-style and quite low. Haven't had a lifter evaluate
    me, but from the mirror it seems like I break parallel. I never lock
    my knees with Good Mornings or Calf Raises. I've never had problems
    with my knees before.

    Looking for a little info. Thanks as always.

    Okay, I'll play armchair Physical Therapist...mild lateral spinal curvature
    is really common. Probably more the rule than the exeption. I doubt this is
    the root of the problem.

    Maybe a patellar tracking issue. If your VMO is comparatively weak, your
    kneecap might not track properly during leg extension.

    Maybe change things around for awhile - subs. front squats for back squats,
    SLDL for GM, etc. see if it helps. One exercise that _might_ help you
    strengthen / learn to recruit your VMO is leg extension, but only the last
    20* of the movement.

    That said, you do realize exactly what a usenet diagnosis is worth, don't
    you?

  5. "Brian Link" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been lifting again after a long layoff. I'm 43, started lifting
    in earnest again at 40 after ignoring it since High School. My typical
    routine is:

    1. Squats
    2. Good Mornings
    3. Dumb-bell bench press
    4. Seated row or lat pulldowns
    5. Calf Raises
    6. Arnold DB presses

    Usually 3 sets of each, occasionally supplemented (if I'm not totally
    whupped) by more targeted work like skullcrushers, bicep curls, quad
    extensions, etc. (I have a lot of trouble with stamina with a full
    workout - though I take courage from a quote I've heard "If you spend
    more than an hour in the gym you're making friends, not progress" -
    but I digress)

    I lift without incident, but often, several hours later, I'll get some
    pain in my right knee.

    What should I look out for with knee pain? What's the difference
    between a torn meniscus and arthritis? What's "normal" knee pain?

    You've got a few possibilities here. Do you knees properly track your
    feet when you squat? You might also play around with different kinds of
    calf raises, e.g., if you usually do them seated, try them standing or
    vice versa.

    Quoted message said:

    I have mild scoliosis, and am wondering whether this is an issue with
    my lifting.

    My squats are sumo-style and quite low. Haven't had a lifter evaluate
    me, but from the mirror it seems like I break parallel. I never lock
    my knees with Good Mornings or Calf Raises. I've never had problems
    with my knees before.

    Locking your knees at the top of a GM should not be a problem, and if
    you're not doing that now, you might try doing that to see if it helps.
    Have you tried high-rep bodyweight movements that provide full ROM for
    your knees? Even just laying on your back and doing pretend bicyling
    for, say, 100 reps can be great for your knees. (Lead the motion with
    your heel and go for complete extension of the knee.) Hindu squats
    (bodyweight, come up on the balls of the feet at the bottom, flat foot
    at the top) can also be good although they're harder on the knees
    initially than the pretend cycling and ought to be worked into
    gradually. Generally speaking, joint health seems to be achieved
    through full ROM with no added resistance and usually for a decent
    number of reps as well. IOW, if you're not doing any work targeted at
    joint health, just lifting weights, you might try adding joint
    health-focused work to your program, usually in your warmup before
    lifting.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

    Quoted message said:

    Looking for a little info. Thanks as always.

    BLink

  6. Brian Link wrote:

    ....

    Quoted message said:

    I lift without incident, but often, several hours later, I'll get some
    pain in my right knee.

    What should I look out for with knee pain? What's the difference
    between a torn meniscus and arthritis? What's "normal" knee pain?

    I have mild scoliosis, and am wondering whether this is an issue with
    my lifting.

    My squats are sumo-style and quite low. Haven't had a lifter evaluate
    me, but from the mirror it seems like I break parallel. I never lock
    my knees with Good Mornings or Calf Raises. I've never had problems
    with my knees before.

    Make sure your knee(s) don't move inward during squats.
    Also, see if you're shifting more weight to right leg.

  7. Jeff Finlayson said:

    Brian Link wrote:

    ....

    Quoted message said:

    I lift without incident, but often, several hours later, I'll get some
    pain in my right knee.
    What should I look out for with knee pain? What's the difference
    between a torn meniscus and arthritis? What's "normal" knee pain?
    I have mild scoliosis, and am wondering whether this is an issue with
    my lifting.

    My squats are sumo-style and quite low. Haven't had a lifter evaluate
    me, but from the mirror it seems like I break parallel. I never lock
    my knees with Good Mornings or Calf Raises. I've never had problems
    with my knees before.

    Make sure your knee(s) don't move inward during squats.
    Also, see if you're shifting more weight to right leg.

    Forgot something. With a wide stance squat, you need to get your
    knees out as wide as the feet.

  8. nah said:


    "Brian Link" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been lifting again after a long layoff. I'm 43, started lifting
    in earnest again at 40 after ignoring it since High School. My typical
    routine is:

    1. Squats
    2. Good Mornings
    3. Dumb-bell bench press
    4. Seated row or lat pulldowns
    5. Calf Raises
    6. Arnold DB presses

    Usually 3 sets of each, occasionally supplemented (if I'm not totally
    whupped) by more targeted work like skullcrushers, bicep curls, quad
    extensions, etc. (I have a lot of trouble with stamina with a full
    workout - though I take courage from a quote I've heard "If you spend
    more than an hour in the gym you're making friends, not progress" -
    but I digress)

    I lift without incident, but often, several hours later, I'll get some
    pain in my right knee.

    What should I look out for with knee pain? What's the difference
    between a torn meniscus and arthritis? What's "normal" knee pain?

    I have mild scoliosis, and am wondering whether this is an issue with
    my lifting.

    My squats are sumo-style and quite low. Haven't had a lifter evaluate
    me, but from the mirror it seems like I break parallel. I never lock
    my knees with Good Mornings or Calf Raises. I've never had problems
    with my knees before.

    Looking for a little info. Thanks as always.

    Okay, I'll play armchair Physical Therapist...mild lateral spinal curvature
    is really common. Probably more the rule than the exeption. I doubt this is
    the root of the problem.

    Maybe a patellar tracking issue. If your VMO is comparatively weak, your
    kneecap might not track properly during leg extension.

    Maybe change things around for awhile - subs. front squats for back squats,
    SLDL for GM, etc. see if it helps. One exercise that _might_ help you
    strengthen / learn to recruit your VMO is leg extension, but only the last
    20* of the movement.

    That said, you do realize exactly what a usenet diagnosis is worth, don't
    you?

    It provides keywords I can use on PubMed or Google.. =)

    BLink

  9. Jeff Finlayson said:
    Jeff Finlayson said:

    Brian Link wrote:

    ....

    Quoted message said:

    I lift without incident, but often, several hours later, I'll get some
    pain in my right knee.
    What should I look out for with knee pain? What's the difference
    between a torn meniscus and arthritis? What's "normal" knee pain?
    I have mild scoliosis, and am wondering whether this is an issue with
    my lifting.

    My squats are sumo-style and quite low. Haven't had a lifter evaluate
    me, but from the mirror it seems like I break parallel. I never lock
    my knees with Good Mornings or Calf Raises. I've never had problems
    with my knees before.

    Make sure your knee(s) don't move inward during squats.
    Also, see if you're shifting more weight to right leg.

    Forgot something. With a wide stance squat, you need to get your
    knees out as wide as the feet.

    I think I'm doing that - but my knees definitely move during the lift,
    and not uniformly.

    From my old Rolfing work I recall that the body reflexively
    accomodates weakness or injury. I prolly need a decent trainer to
    watch me - and unfortunately the Trainer-Tots at my gym don't really
    qualify =(.

    Mebbe I need to hang out with Hanson and his friends. Would suck to be
    a weak old fart with a bunch of powerlifters, but I bet they'd be able
    to spot technique issues pretty quickly.

    BLink

  10. nah said:


    "Brian Link" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been lifting again after a long layoff. I'm 43, started lifting
    in earnest again at 40 after ignoring it since High School. My typical
    routine is:

    1. Squats
    2. Good Mornings
    3. Dumb-bell bench press
    4. Seated row or lat pulldowns
    5. Calf Raises
    6. Arnold DB presses

    Usually 3 sets of each, occasionally supplemented (if I'm not totally
    whupped) by more targeted work like skullcrushers, bicep curls, quad
    extensions, etc. (I have a lot of trouble with stamina with a full
    workout - though I take courage from a quote I've heard "If you spend
    more than an hour in the gym you're making friends, not progress" -
    but I digress)

    I lift without incident, but often, several hours later, I'll get some
    pain in my right knee.

    What should I look out for with knee pain? What's the difference
    between a torn meniscus and arthritis? What's "normal" knee pain?

    I have mild scoliosis, and am wondering whether this is an issue with
    my lifting.

    My squats are sumo-style and quite low. Haven't had a lifter evaluate
    me, but from the mirror it seems like I break parallel. I never lock
    my knees with Good Mornings or Calf Raises. I've never had problems
    with my knees before.

    Looking for a little info. Thanks as always.

    Okay, I'll play armchair Physical Therapist...mild lateral spinal curvature
    is really common. Probably more the rule than the exeption. I doubt this is
    the root of the problem.

    Maybe a patellar tracking issue. If your VMO is comparatively weak, your
    kneecap might not track properly during leg extension.

    Maybe change things around for awhile - subs. front squats for back squats,
    SLDL for GM, etc. see if it helps. One exercise that _might_ help you
    strengthen / learn to recruit your VMO is leg extension, but only the last
    20* of the movement.

    That said, you do realize exactly what a usenet diagnosis is worth, don't
    you?

    John wash, back when he used to visit this place, used to recommend
    narrow stance squats for patellar tracking issues. I have used that
    successfully over the years when I develop pain in my knee. if
    nothing else it is certainly worth a try for unexplained knee pain.

    --
    Is this thing on?

  11. "Joe Humble" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    nah said:


    "Brian Link" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been lifting again after a long layoff. I'm 43, started lifting
    in earnest again at 40 after ignoring it since High School. My
    typical
    routine is:

    1. Squats
    2. Good Mornings
    3. Dumb-bell bench press
    4. Seated row or lat pulldowns
    5. Calf Raises
    6. Arnold DB presses

    Usually 3 sets of each, occasionally supplemented (if I'm not
    totally
    whupped) by more targeted work like skullcrushers, bicep curls, quad
    extensions, etc. (I have a lot of trouble with stamina with a full
    workout - though I take courage from a quote I've heard "If you
    spend
    more than an hour in the gym you're making friends, not progress" -
    but I digress)

    I lift without incident, but often, several hours later, I'll get
    some
    pain in my right knee.

    What should I look out for with knee pain? What's the difference
    between a torn meniscus and arthritis? What's "normal" knee pain?

    I have mild scoliosis, and am wondering whether this is an issue
    with
    my lifting.

    My squats are sumo-style and quite low. Haven't had a lifter
    evaluate
    me, but from the mirror it seems like I break parallel. I never lock
    my knees with Good Mornings or Calf Raises. I've never had problems
    with my knees before.

    Looking for a little info. Thanks as always.

    Okay, I'll play armchair Physical Therapist...mild lateral spinal
    curvature
    is really common. Probably more the rule than the exeption. I doubt
    this is
    the root of the problem.

    Maybe a patellar tracking issue. If your VMO is comparatively weak,
    your
    kneecap might not track properly during leg extension.

    Maybe change things around for awhile - subs. front squats for back
    squats,
    SLDL for GM, etc. see if it helps. One exercise that _might_ help you
    strengthen / learn to recruit your VMO is leg extension, but only the
    last
    20* of the movement.

    That said, you do realize exactly what a usenet diagnosis is worth,
    don't
    you?

    John wash, back when he used to visit this place, used to recommend
    narrow stance squats for patellar tracking issues. I have used that
    successfully over the years when I develop pain in my knee. if
    nothing else it is certainly worth a try for unexplained knee pain.

    I don't think narrow stance by itself is sufficient - it has to be
    narrow stance with proper knee tracking of the foot. I can pretty
    easily squat narrow and still have my knees bow in if I don't turn my
    feet out, although I'll grant that it's easier, overall, to get it right
    with a narrow stance. There's no substitute for someone watching you
    squat to see how your knees are tracking, IMHO. I try to get my wife to
    do this for me once every few months or any time my knees start to
    bother me. It's also worth mentioning that life isn't often perfectly
    symmetrical - I have to turn my right foot out slightly more than my
    left to get my knees to both track properly.

    Just my two-cents-worth.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  12. Brian Link said:
    Jeff Finlayson said:
    Jeff Finlayson said:

    Brian Link wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >I lift without incident, but often, several hours later, I'll get some
    >pain in my right knee.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >My squats are sumo-style and quite low. Haven't had a lifter evaluate
    >me,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Make sure your knee(s) don't move inward during squats.
    Also, see if you're shifting more weight to right leg.

    Forgot something. With a wide stance squat, you need to get your
    knees out as wide as the feet [specifically the heels].

    Quoted message said:

    I think I'm doing that - but my knees definitely move during the lift,
    and not uniformly.

    That's OK if they move out.

    Quoted message said:

    From my old Rolfing work I recall that the body reflexively
    accomodates weakness or injury. I prolly need a decent trainer to
    watch me - and unfortunately the Trainer-Tots at my gym don't really
    qualify =(.

    You should try adding step-ups. They are good for the knees, tracking
    issues and such. Start out with bodyweight on a short 'step'.

    Quoted message said:

    Mebbe I need to hang out with Hanson and his friends. Would suck to be
    a weak old fart with a bunch of powerlifters, but I bet they'd be able
    to spot technique issues pretty quickly.
    BLink

    Give that a try. I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping, especially since
    it could help with your knee pain.

  13. "Jeff Finlayson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    Give that a try. I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping,

    If the talk turns to politics, however, Brian may end up in a shallow grave
    somewhere outside Mankato.

  14. On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:59:36 -0500, Brian Link <[email hidden]> wrote
    in misc.fitness.weights:

    Quoted message said:
    Jeff Finlayson said:
    Jeff Finlayson said:

    Brian Link wrote:

    ....
    > I lift without incident, but often, several hours later, I'll get some
    > pain in my right knee.
    > What should I look out for with knee pain? What's the difference
    > between a torn meniscus and arthritis? What's "normal" knee pain?
    > I have mild scoliosis, and am wondering whether this is an issue with
    > my lifting.
    >
    > My squats are sumo-style and quite low. Haven't had a lifter evaluate
    > me, but from the mirror it seems like I break parallel. I never lock
    > my knees with Good Mornings or Calf Raises. I've never had problems
    > with my knees before.

    Make sure your knee(s) don't move inward during squats.
    Also, see if you're shifting more weight to right leg.

    Forgot something. With a wide stance squat, you need to get your
    knees out as wide as the feet.

    I think I'm doing that - but my knees definitely move during the lift,
    and not uniformly.

    From my old Rolfing work I recall that the body reflexively
    accomodates weakness or injury. I prolly need a decent trainer to
    watch me - and unfortunately the Trainer-Tots at my gym don't really
    qualify =(.

    Mebbe I need to hang out with Hanson and his friends. Would suck to be
    a weak old fart with a bunch of powerlifters, but I bet they'd be able
    to spot technique issues pretty quickly.


    Hmmm. I kinda just skipped over this thread. Anywho, yes, come join
    us. We are experts at technique. Well, some of us are and some of us
    think we are. Oh, and, some of us just lift and get feedback.

    We are there every MWF starting around 5:00 PM. That's Ultimate
    Fitness in Hudson, in case you didn't know.

  15. In article said:
    Brian Link said:

    I have mild scoliosis, and am wondering whether this is an issue with
    my lifting.

    I don't know about it being an issue with your lifting, but I bet it's
    an issue with the rest of your life.

    I'm your age, similar history, and IIRC you used to be pretty fat at one
    point, too, right?

    Knees take a lot of [censored] when you're out of alignment for something. It
    could be ankle flexibility is poor, it could be over or under pronation,
    it could be tight thigh muscles that impinge range of motion, it could
    be hip socket issues, it could be heel pain (plantar fasciitis)that
    makes you limp ... if one piece is screwed up then the knee takes the grief.

    I don't know who the right person is to see about this. My Mom's a
    neuromuscular massage therapist and she's always harping at me about
    alignment. A chiropractor might be helpful. There's some mythical
    perfect sports therapist that I've never seen in real life that people
    like - a physiotherapist I think it's called. An orthopedist will want
    to operate.

    My feeling about all this is that God heals and doctors send the bills.
    Figure it out for yourself. And buy some new running shoes.

    Dally

    No scoliosis here, but I worked for a telco for 17 years and was always
    smacking my knees on the cement floor when I had to change out equipment neer
    the floor and had problems with them after I left.

    Most people tell you not to go past 90° on squats for fear of knee
    injury but I've read others who have improved their knees by doing exactly
    that.

    I started going past 90° very slowly, just to the point where I could
    feel the tendons tensing up but not to the point where they hurt. Over time
    I could go deeper without pain and my knees did get much better to the point
    where they don't bother me anymore.

    Squats might not be what you want to do with scoliosis though, might
    throw your spine even more out of whack.

    --
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    Eskimo North Linux Friendly Shells, Web Hosting, 56K/ISDN/DSL, 2-Week Trial!
    Internet access with real toll-free human help as low as $9.00 / month!
    See our web site: http://www.eskimo.com/ (206) 812-0051 or (800) 246-6874.

  16. (Nanook) said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have mild scoliosis, and am wondering whether this is an issue with
    my lifting.

    Just see a chiropractor, and deal with the scoliosis, then it won't be
    an issue.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.