Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Knee creaking and upper calf muscle pain...

Started by FaHeL · · Last activity · 9 posts · 3,160 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
8 September 2004
Last activity
8 September 2004
Original author
FaHeL
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,160
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Folks I need your help.

    I get creaking in my knees when I do squat or lunge training without
    pain

    I also have a pain in the upper outside side of my calf muscle only in
    my right leg while cycling which feels like a tense muscle.

    Anyone had these and what do you recommend.

    Regards,
    FaHeL..
    __o
    _`\<,
    ..(*)/(*)

    Let the days grow longer and work hours get less. Ride, Ride, Ride...

  2. FaHeL said:

    Folks I need your help.

    I get creaking in my knees when I do squat or lunge training without
    pain

    I also have a pain in the upper outside side of my calf muscle only in
    my right leg while cycling which feels like a tense muscle.

    Anyone had these and what do you recommend.

    Regards,
    FaHeL..
    __o
    _`\<,
    ..(*)/(*)

    Let the days grow longer and work hours get less. Ride, Ride, Ride...

    I'd send a letter to the health expert panel at www.cycling.news.com

  3. FaHeL said:

    Folks I need your help.

    I also have a pain in the upper outside side of my calf muscle only
    in my right leg while cycling which feels like a tense muscle.

    That sounds like the same muscle I have a problem with. I'm getting
    pressure point massage on it (and man that hurts). It's a muscle (can't
    recall it's name) that raises and lowers the toes (commonly confused
    with shin splits). It's worth getting fixed, I ignored it for a while
    and it seems to have changed the way I was running (sorry Dutch used
    that r word again) and ended up with a hamstring problem.

    DaveB

  4. quote='DaveB'FaHeL said:

    Folks I need your help.

    I also have a pain in the upper outside side of my calf muscle only
    in my right leg while cycling which feels like a tense muscle.

    That sounds like the same muscle I have a problem with. I'm getting
    pressure point massage on it (and man that hurts). It's a muscle (can't
    recall it's name) that raises and lowers the toes (commonly confused
    with shin splits). It's worth getting fixed, I ignored it for a while
    and it seems to have changed the way I was running (sorry Dutch used
    that r word again) and ended up with a hamstring problem.

    DaveB[/QUOTE]

    See? that 'R' stuff is just NO GOOD, i tells ya!

    ride, ride and more ride.

    as for the original ailment, maybe get someone prof to look at your riding position, and also your cleat setup

  5. Yep old age :-)
    Perhaps your right shoe is not in a proper position in relation to the
    pedal.

    FaHeL said:

    Folks I need your help.

    I get creaking in my knees when I do squat or lunge training without
    pain

    I also have a pain in the upper outside side of my calf muscle only in
    my right leg while cycling which feels like a tense muscle.

    Anyone had these and what do you recommend.

    Regards,
    FaHeL..
    __o
    _`\<,
    .(*)/(*)

    Let the days grow longer and work hours get less. Ride, Ride, Ride...

  6. FaHeL said:


    Folks I need your help.

    I get creaking in my knees when I do squat or lunge training without
    pain

    I also have a pain in the upper outside side of my calf muscle only in
    my right leg while cycling which feels like a tense muscle.

    Anyone had these and what do you recommend.

    Regards,
    FaHeL..
    __o
    _`\<,
    .(*)/(*)

    Let the days grow longer and work hours get less. Ride, Ride, Ride...

    Don't let the knee thing go by, creaking is not normal and indicates a
    lack of lube in your knee. Glucosamine supplements can maintain good
    cartilage regeneration, apparently...

    As for the sore muscle, it could be the top of the peroneus,
    particularly if you get tight ITB or arch pain as well. See a podiatrist
    or physio who knows something about bike setup. To relieve the pain, try
    this: feel the bone that comes down the outside of your leg from the
    knee. There's a muscle that lies just in a bit from this. Dig your thumb
    in and move your foot up and down (flex and point your foot), then move
    your thumb to a new position a smidge lower and repeat. Work a total of
    about 2 inches down the leg. If it doesn't hurt, you're not pressing
    hard enough, or you're in the wrong spot - try again.

    T

  7. (FaHeL) said:

    Folks I need your help.

    I get creaking in my knees when I do squat or lunge training without
    pain

    I also have a pain in the upper outside side of my calf muscle only in
    my right leg while cycling which feels like a tense muscle.

    Anyone had these and what do you recommend.

    It is called aging.

    The solution? A wheelchair. ;-)

  8. quote='Tamyka Bell'FaHeL said:


    Folks I need your help.

    I get creaking in my knees when I do squat or lunge training without
    pain

    I also have a pain in the upper outside side of my calf muscle only in
    my right leg while cycling which feels like a tense muscle.

    Anyone had these and what do you recommend.

    Regards,
    FaHeL..
    __o
    _`\<,
    .(*)/(*)

    Let the days grow longer and work hours get less. Ride, Ride, Ride...

    Don't let the knee thing go by, creaking is not normal and indicates a
    lack of lube in your knee. Glucosamine supplements can maintain good
    cartilage regeneration, apparently...

    As for the sore muscle, it could be the top of the peroneus,
    particularly if you get tight ITB or arch pain as well. See a podiatrist
    or physio who knows something about bike setup. To relieve the pain, try
    this: feel the bone that comes down the outside of your leg from the
    knee. There's a muscle that lies just in a bit from this. Dig your thumb
    in and move your foot up and down (flex and point your foot), then move
    your thumb to a new position a smidge lower and repeat. Work a total of
    about 2 inches down the leg. If it doesn't hurt, you're not pressing
    hard enough, or you're in the wrong spot - try again.

    T[/QUOTE]
    Glucosamine all the way mate I've mild artheritis in my hip and knee which feels like a shin splint at times and sounds like a banana lounge when i start warming up, Keep it warm and wraped, give the running up and keep cycling. else have a good old doc prescribe you with panadine forte or tramadol (grat combo if you have any pain or are just bored....)

  9. Ken Oaf said:
    (FaHeL) said:

    Folks I need your help.

    I get creaking in my knees when I do squat or lunge training without
    pain

    I also have a pain in the upper outside side of my calf muscle only in
    my right leg while cycling which feels like a tense muscle.

    Anyone had these and what do you recommend.

    It is called aging.

    possibly non-bicycle related but relevant nonetheless:

    as a relative youngster who nonetheless has a fair bit of training in
    this area ive something to say here: load of [censored]!
    Its a bit OT, but almost everything that people put down to "age" is
    either due to underuse or overuse/misuse.
    Incidentally as well, throughout the body PAIN is NOT equal to physical
    degeneration/damage. Pain is a multidimensional experience which is a
    sum of heaps of factors and lots of long words. anyway, when it comes to
    your body, try and forget that your mind and body arent separate, HURT
    =/= HARM, and use it or lose it.

    cheers
    lance

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.