General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Kitajima's 100 breaststroke WR

Started by Chris · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,050 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 September 2003
Last activity
14 September 2003
Original author
Chris
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,050
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Kosuke Kitajima's 59.78 100-meter breaststroke world record was the top headline in the Asahi
    Shinbun today here in Japan, with a big color picture. The Barcelona meet has been getting 6 or so
    hours of TV coverage a day, thanks in part to the anticipation over Kitajima.

    Kitajima is a very focused, level-headed, well-spoken kid, and he's a great representative for
    swimming here. Although I haven't really been following Ed Moses's career lately, I was glad to see
    him get trounced, arrogant, tattooed punk that he is, even though I'm a U.S. citizen.

    There was an interesting segment on TV where they broke down Kitijima's stroke, and showed how much
    it has changed (or rather how much he and his coaches have change it) since Sidney. His kick
    involves less knee bending, and most significantly, the number of strokes that he uses has dropped
    dramatically. He gets through a 50-meter lap with 18-21 strokes, 3 to 5 fewer than he used to use.

    I made a point of attending the masters session at the Tokyo Swimming Center this morning to see the
    reaction (Kitajima has trained there since he was a kid). After Kitajima's 200-meter world record
    was broken a month or so ago, all the big banners congratuating him on the records came down. Now
    they are preparing new ones. There were flowers in the lobby from various organizations and
    companies, and a TBS broadcasting video crew were milling around waiting for something.

  2. Kitajima is amazing. I had always thought of the 100 breast as being the prototypical power stroke.
    But Kitajima doesn't fit the physical profile of the buff, power breaststroker. I love the way that
    he starts out smooth, controlled, then builds and builds and just blows everyone away coming home.

    Lethal Liesel is no less amazing (amazing meet, just with these two WR 100 breasts), but I also
    admire Amanda Beard. I truly thought that she was "finished" when she outgrew her Atlanta body. She
    was, for a while, but obviously believed in herself enough to persist and re-invent herself.

    Larry Weisenthal

    Certitude is poison; curiosity is life

  3. I really like Kitajima. He never panics or feels the need to go out with the field, and he always
    swims a controlled, well-executed race. After watching him, I think he's capable of a 2:08 200
    breaststroke.

  4. On TV I just watched the underwater film of Ian Thorpe's qualifying heat in the 200 individual
    medley, in which he came in fourth. He came in fourth instead of first solely on the basis of his
    terrible breaststroke. He has no glide at all, and he moves his arms in a sort of butterfly stroke
    movement rather than streamlining them for a moment or two. I was shocked at how poor his
    breaststroke was. Actually, none of the individual medley guys had very good form in the
    breaststroke. It goes to show how specialized and technical the stroke
    is.

  5. I ran across a recent article at the SwimInfo site about Kitajima's training routine.

    swiminfo.com200307 01st art.asp

    Swimming Technique July - September 2003 Feature Article

    Standing Tall Although short in stature, Japan's Kosuke Kitajima_blessed with extraordinary
    technique_is a giant among breaststrokers.

    By Ed Odeven

    Size doesn't always matter. But let's face it: elite male swimmers, such as Australian Ian Thorpe
    and American Michael Phelps, are usually big, strong fellows.

    Kosuke Kitajima is an exception to the rule. The skinny, 5-foot-8 3/4-inch Japanese native is a
    world-class swimmer who relies more on skill than size.

    The 20-year-old from Tokyo had a breakthrough year in 2002, highlighted by a gold medal finish in
    the 200 meter breaststroke at the Asian Games in Busan, South Korea in October.

    :
    :

    [continued at swiminfo.com200307 01st art.asp ]

  6. From: [email hidden] (Chris)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On TV I just watched the underwater film of Ian Thorpe's qualifying


    heat in the 200 individual medley, in which he came in fourth. He came in fourth instead of first
    solely on the basis of his terrible breaststroke. <<

    SOLELY on the basis of the breaststroke?

    I don't think so.

    Phelps:

    25.74 fly, 29.64 back, 34.94 breast, 27.20 free

    Thorpe:

    26.09 fly, 31.06 back, 36.60 breast, 26.67 free

    Thorpe lost more time to Phelps on the back (1.7 seconds) than on the breast
    (27.67 seconds).

    Larry Weisenthal

    Certitude is poison; curiosity is life

  7. O.K. Just realized that my arithmetic was wrong 🙁

    The idea is the same, however.

    Phelps:

    25.74 fly, 29.64 back, 34.94 breast, 27.20 free

    Thorpe:

    26.09 fly, 31.06 back, 36.60 breast, 26.67 free

    Thorpe lost more time to Phelps on the back (1.7 seconds) than on the breast
    (27.67 seconds).

    CORRECTION: it was 1.42 seconds, compared with 1.67 seconds.

    Larry Weisenthal

    Certitude is poison; curiosity is life

  8. [email hidden] (Larry Weisenthal) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    From: [email hidden] (Chris)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On TV I just watched the underwater film of Ian Thorpe's qualifying


    heat in the 200 individual medley, in which he came in fourth. He came in fourth instead of first
    solely on the basis of his terrible breaststroke. <<

    SOLELY on the basis of the breaststroke?

    I don't think so.

    Phelps:

    25.74 fly, 29.64 back, 34.94 breast, 27.20 free

    Thorpe:

    26.09 fly, 31.06 back, 36.60 breast, 26.67 free

    Thorpe lost more time to Phelps on the back (1.7 seconds) than on the breast
    (1.67 seconds).

    Larry Weisenthal

    Certitude is poison; curiosity is life

    Thorpe and Phelps weren't in the same qualifying heat so, Larry, exactly what relevance does
    comparing Phelps and Thorpes splits from THE SEMIS have to the statement about Ian Thorpe's
    qualifying heat in the 200 individual medley?

    In the 10th heat Thorpe was second at the 100m mark (.05 seconds off the lead) and was in seventh at
    the 150m mark (after a 37.0+ breastroke leg). So I think that original posting outlining that Thorpe
    would have won the heat he finished fourth in - if only his breastroke was better - is more or less
    irrefutable.

    In fact, I would go so far to say, that your posting of the Phelps/Thorpe semi splits to
    discuss Thorpes performance in the qualifying heat is the 2nd least useful posting in r.s.s
    ever, after this one.

  9. [email hidden] (Larry Weisenthal) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Thorpe and Phelps weren't in the same qualifying heat so, Larry,


    exactly what relevance does comparing Phelps and Thorpes splits from THE SEMIS have to the
    statement about Ian Thorpe's qualifying heat in the 200 individual medley?<<

    Sorry, I obviously missed the point of the first posting to which I responded. I thought the
    point was to examine how Thorpe compared to the best in the world, not how he compared to the
    best in his preliminary heat. Still, I think I didn't do a disservice by pointing out that it's
    not just the breaststroke which made the difference between the gold and silver medalist in this
    year's WC 200 IM.

    Larry Weisenthal

    Certitude is poison; curiosity is life

    The information you supplied was indeed informative and my comments were too harsh in tone. The
    "anal retentive" part of me temporarily took control of my brain and could not resist the urge
    to nitpick.

    It will be interesting to see how much effort Thorpe puts into his 200IM training over the next year
    ... I have the (with absolutely no info) impression that he was swimming this event for "funzies"
    and yet he is the national and commonwealth record holder ... notably, the previous record holders,
    Matt Dunn and Curtis Myden, were not without their credentials. My guess is that Thorpe will be
    emphasizing the freestlye to help the Aussies defend their Olympic relay golds from Sydney.

    Considering nobody else is particulary close to the 1:58.00 mark Phelps' time of 1:56.04 borders on
    the incomphrehensible.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.