UK and Europe · Public discussion

Kill in a park and avoid prison.

Started by Tom Crispin · · Last activity · 95 posts · 8,887 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
26 March 2008
Last activity
28 June 2008
Original author
Tom Crispin
Posts
95
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
8,887
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–95 of 95
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Adam Lea said:

    "Tom Crispin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    The cause of the windscreen shattering remains a mystery. I would
    have expected police investigations to pick up a cause such as a loose
    stone, or branch falling from a tree.

    Is it possible that the windscreen shattered because of a previous chip or
    two that hadn't been repaired? It is possible for windscreen chips to become
    cracks. That has happened to someone I know.

    While on holiday in Bavaria last summer, we discovered a two-inch crack
    in our windscreen that, within a day or two, had developed into a foot
    long crack. As soon as we discovered the crack, we contacted the car's
    insurers about a windscreen replacement and were advised that we should
    not be concerned and we could safely have the screen replaced on our
    return to the UK, around 1500 miles later.

    Cheers,
    Luke

    --
    Red Rose Ramblings, the diary of an Essex boy in
    exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

  2. Tom Crispin said:

    I do not know if they offer takeaways. I expect they do.

    I have a small amount of further information from a friend who was at
    the court to hear sentence.

    Voong owns a Chinese takeaway in Woolwich.

    Voong's English is poor.

    Voong gave no account of why his car suddenly veered over to the
    right.

    He says that his windscreen went "white". The windscreen shattered at
    the point of impact; there is no liklihood of it happening earlier.

    Voong's wife and children were in court to hear sentence passed and
    were distraught by the evidence of what Voong had done.

    There is no evidence that Voong was exceeding the speed limit - the
    defence made much of this claiming that excessive speed was not the
    cause of the crash.

    As all this happened outside the park toilets, and with Voong being
    unable to account for his veering over to the right, I believe that he
    was pulling across the road to use the toilets. This being the case,
    and that he failed to look properly along a road with clear lines of
    sight, I think that he deserved to be jailed, and the judge was wrong
    to let him go with a fine and driving ban.

    Motorists need to be given a strong and clear message that if they
    kill while driving in a manner that falls far below the normal
    standard of driving, that they will loose their liberty for a period
    of time. Voong showed a complete lack of responsibility to other park
    users. As others have put it, he was driving like a complete [censored],
    and killed while doing so.

    It would take an act of parliament to reduce the Park's speed limit to
    20mph. I would prefer to see the park closed to all through motor
    traffic at all times. A park is no place for a rush hour rat run.

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Tom Crispin) said:

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:25:35 +0000, Tom Crispin
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    I have a small amount of further information from a friend who was
    at the court to hear sentence.

    Voong owns a Chinese takeaway in Woolwich.

    More to the point, what news of the two restaurants you fingered when you
    were rumour-mongering? Presumably you recall posting their full names and
    street addresses and writing, "These restaurants are just at the foot of
    Greenwich Park, and the route from Red Barracks Road to them, through
    Greenwich Park, is obvious at that time of day."

  4. On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 11:00 +0100 (BST), [email hidden] (Terry)

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Tom Crispin) said:

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:25:35 +0000, Tom Crispin
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    I have a small amount of further information from a friend who was
    at the court to hear sentence.

    Voong owns a Chinese takeaway in Woolwich.

    More to the point, what news of the two restaurants you fingered when you
    were rumour-mongering? Presumably you recall posting their full names and
    street addresses and writing, "These restaurants are just at the foot of
    Greenwich Park, and the route from Red Barracks Road to them, through
    Greenwich Park, is obvious at that time of day."

    I have no news of them. I cycled past them earlier today and they
    were still there.

    Nothing I said was incorrect. My suspicion that Voong may have owned
    them was incorrect - but I took no action against them and made no
    suggestion that others should.

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Tom Crispin) said:

    On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 11:00 +0100 (BST), [email hidden] (Terry)

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Tom Crispin) said:

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:25:35 +0000, Tom Crispin
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    I have a small amount of further information from a friend who
    was at the court to hear sentence.

    Voong owns a Chinese takeaway in Woolwich.

    More to the point, what news of the two restaurants you fingered


    when you were rumour-mongering? Presumably you recall posting their
    full names and street addresses and writing, "These restaurants are
    just at the foot of Greenwich Park, and the route from Red Barracks
    Road to them, through Greenwich Park, is obvious at that time of day."

    I have no news of them. I cycled past them earlier today and they
    were still there.

    Nothing I said was incorrect. My suspicion that Voong may have
    owned them was incorrect

    Surely you meant to say that nothing you said was incorrect except for
    the lie you spread that a cyclist killer owned the restaurants.

    Quoted message said:

    - but I took no action against them and made no
    suggestion that others should.

    Yes of course. Everyone can see that. All you did was, in your own words,
    to "put forward a balanced case. There is a strong possibility that the
    guilty party is connected to the two restaurants - I know the restaurants
    have a common owner."

  6. On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 18:52 +0100 (BST), [email hidden] (Terry)

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Tom Crispin) said:

    On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 11:00 +0100 (BST), [email hidden] (Terry)

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] (Tom Crispin) wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:25:35 +0000, Tom Crispin
    > <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > I have a small amount of further information from a friend who
    > was at the court to hear sentence.
    >
    > Voong owns a Chinese takeaway in Woolwich.

    More to the point, what news of the two restaurants you fingered


    when you were rumour-mongering? Presumably you recall posting their
    full names and street addresses and writing, "These restaurants are
    just at the foot of Greenwich Park, and the route from Red Barracks
    Road to them, through Greenwich Park, is obvious at that time of day."

    I have no news of them. I cycled past them earlier today and they
    were still there.

    Nothing I said was incorrect. My suspicion that Voong may have
    owned them was incorrect

    Surely you meant to say that nothing you said was incorrect except for
    the lie you spread that a cyclist killer owned the restaurants.

    I never said that. I correctly identified Voong's name as Vietnamese.
    I linked that to rumours at the time (which turned out to be correct)
    that the driver was a restaurant owner. I correctly identified two
    Vietnamese resaurants in Greenwich. I correctly stated that the facts
    are "purely circumstantial".

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    - but I took no action against them and made no
    suggestion that others should.

    Yes of course. Everyone can see that. All you did was, in your own words,
    to "put forward a balanced case. There is a strong possibility that the
    guilty party is connected to the two restaurants - I know the restaurants
    have a common owner."

    Yes, and there was a time that I believed that Mr Voong was connected
    to the restaurants. My belief was incorrect. Is it wrong to be wrong
    occasionally?

  7. Terry writtificated

    Quoted message said:

    Surely you meant to say that nothing you said was incorrect except for
    the lie you spread that a cyclist killer owned the restaurants.

    I can see where Tom was wrong in his speculation, I can't see where he
    lied.

    Can you post the bit where he lied?

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Tom Crispin) said:

    On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 18:52 +0100 (BST), [email hidden] (Terry)

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Tom Crispin) said:

    On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 11:00 +0100 (BST), [email hidden]


    (Terry)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    wrote:

    >In article <[email hidden]>,
    >[email hidden] (Tom Crispin) wrote:
    >> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:25:35 +0000, Tom Crispin
    >> <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a small amount of further information from a friend


    who >> >> was at the court to hear sentence.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>
    >> Voong owns a Chinese takeaway in Woolwich.
    >
    >More to the point, what news of the two restaurants you


    fingered >> when you were rumour-mongering? Presumably you recall
    posting their >> full names and street addresses and writing,
    "These restaurants are >> just at the foot of Greenwich Park, and
    the route from Red Barracks

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Road to them, through Greenwich Park, is obvious at that time of


    day." >> >> I have no news of them. I cycled past them earlier
    today and they

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    were still there.

    Nothing I said was incorrect. My suspicion that Voong may have
    owned them was incorrect

    Surely you meant to say that nothing you said was incorrect except


    for

    Quoted message said:

    the lie you spread that a cyclist killer owned the restaurants.

    I never said that. I correctly identified Voong's name as
    Vietnamese.
    I linked that to rumours at the time (which turned out to be
    correct)
    that the driver was a restaurant owner. I correctly identified two
    Vietnamese resaurants in Greenwich. I correctly stated that the
    facts
    are "purely circumstantial".

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    - but I took no action against them and made no
    suggestion that others should.

    Yes of course. Everyone can see that. All you did was, in your own


    words,

    Quoted message said:

    to "put forward a balanced case. There is a strong possibility


    that the

    Quoted message said:

    guilty party is connected to the two restaurants - I know the


    restaurants

    Quoted message said:

    have a common owner."

    Yes, and there was a time that I believed that Mr Voong was
    connected to the restaurants. My belief was incorrect. Is it wrong
    to be wrong occasionally?

    That's not really the point, is it? You should take a quiet moment to ask
    yourself whether it was wrong to broadcast your belief of a "strong
    possibility" that the two restaurants, which you helpfully identifed by
    name and street address, were connected to a killer driver.

  9. Terry writtificated

    Quoted message said:

    You should take a quiet moment to ask
    yourself whether it was wrong to broadcast your belief of a "strong
    possibility" that the two restaurants,

    A strong possibility of one of the two restaurants.

    Why are you still banging on about this?

  10. On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 18:02 +0100 (BST), [email hidden] (Terry)

    Quoted message said:

    My belief was incorrect. Is it wrong

    Quoted message said:

    to be wrong occasionally?

    That's not really the point, is it? You should take a quiet moment to ask
    yourself whether it was wrong to broadcast your belief of a "strong
    possibility" that the two restaurants, which you helpfully identifed by
    name and street address, were connected to a killer driver.

    Is is wrong to express ones suspicions? I don't think so. Naming the
    restaurants which I believed he may have been attached to certainly
    hasn't done any harm.

  11. Tom Crispin said:

    [email hidden] (Terry) wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My belief was incorrect. Is it wrong to be wrong occasionally?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's not really the point, is it? You should take a quiet moment to ask
    yourself whether it was wrong to broadcast your belief of a "strong
    possibility" that the two restaurants, which you helpfully identifed by
    name and street address, were connected to a killer driver.

    Quoted message said:

    Is is wrong to express ones suspicions? I don't think so. Naming the
    restaurants which I believed he may have been attached to certainly
    hasn't done any harm.

    What makes you think you know that?

  12. JNugent said:
    Tom Crispin said:

    [email hidden] (Terry) wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > My belief was incorrect. Is it wrong to be wrong occasionally?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's not really the point, is it? You should take a quiet moment to ask
    yourself whether it was wrong to broadcast your belief of a "strong
    possibility" that the two restaurants, which you helpfully identifed by
    name and street address, were connected to a killer driver.

    Quoted message said:

    Is is wrong to express ones suspicions? I don't think so. Naming the
    restaurants which I believed he may have been attached to certainly
    hasn't done any harm.

    What makes you think you know that?

    The same that made the judge in the Diana death enquiry reach the
    conclusion that Prince Philip played no part in the death of the late
    Princess of Wales. A complete lack of evidence to the contrary.

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Tom Crispin) said:

    On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 18:02 +0100 (BST), [email hidden] (Terry)

    Quoted message said:

    My belief was incorrect. Is it wrong

    Quoted message said:

    to be wrong occasionally?

    That's not really the point, is it? You should take a quiet moment


    to ask

    Quoted message said:

    yourself whether it was wrong to broadcast your belief of a "strong
    possibility" that the two restaurants, which you helpfully


    identifed by

    Quoted message said:

    name and street address, were connected to a killer driver.

    Is is wrong to express ones suspicions? I don't think so. Naming
    the restaurants which I believed he may have been attached to certainly
    hasn't done any harm.

    You have no way of knowing that so claiming an absence of harm doesn't
    really work as an excuse for your actions.

    I turned the question around because it seemed that while focused only on
    excusing your own behaviour you haven't put yourself in the position of
    an innocent person who has been tainted by rumour. If you do that you may
    be better placed to consider the rights and wrongs of publishing the
    names and addresses of two restaurants about which you had heard a rumour,
    and asserting a strong possibility of their association with a killer
    driver in a public forum.

    Considering the context also helps. We live in an intolerant society
    where paediatricians have been attacked by illiterate vigilantes and
    where foreigners and immigrants are routinely demonised & worse.

    You can have the last word but you should know that I've read all your
    contributions and I understand your passion and admire your efforts in
    general. It's your effort to name & shame that was wrong-headed.

  14. Terry writtificated

    Quoted message said:

    We live in an intolerant society
    where paediatricians have been attacked by illiterate vigilantes

    IIRC one had something written on their door. I can't remember whether the
    graffiti was relevent to paediatricians or paedophiles.

  15. Quoted message said:

    On Mar 30, 10:16 pm, Tom Crispin
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    From Anthony Austin's (Chair of Greenwich Cyclists) report:
    "The crown prosecution said Voong's Honda had negotiated the
    roundabout at the top of The Avenue in the park at around 4.45 pm on
    June 26 and was heading downhill."

    I went past the site of the death today. There were recent flowers at
    the spot where the cyclist was killed. The card read:

    "Sorry" - you are always in my thoughts.

    There was no name, but I expect the flowers were left by Voong.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.