UK and Europe · Public discussion

Just been knocked off my bike!!

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 19 posts · 1,099 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
18 March 2008
Last activity
22 March 2008
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,099
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello

    Ive just been knocked off my bike on the way home from work. A car
    coming in the opposite direction was trying to make a right turn. I
    ended up ploughing into the side of her car. Apart from a very sore
    knee, I'm okay, although my bike will need a new front wheel and
    possibly new forks. I have 3 witnesses who saw the accident and all
    agree that she was totally to blame. Im obviously keen to get my bike
    fixed as soon as possible although I'm a bit unsure about the correct
    procedures to follow.

    Any help from you guys that have had similar experiences would be much
    appreciated.

    Cheers
    Jon

  2. Quoted message said:

    Hello

    Ive just been knocked off my bike on the way home from work. A car
    coming in the opposite direction was trying to make a right turn. I
    ended up ploughing into the side of her car. Apart from a very sore
    knee, I'm okay, although my bike will need a new front wheel and
    possibly new forks. I have 3 witnesses who saw the accident and all
    agree that she was totally to blame. Im obviously keen to get my bike
    fixed as soon as possible although I'm a bit unsure about the correct
    procedures to follow.

    Any help from you guys that have had similar experiences would be much
    appreciated.

    I'm probably not the best to advise but:

    # report it to the police ASAP. They say any general complaints about
    driving have to be made within 2 days although I'm not sure if it's
    longer for a accident but don't expect much to happen for a while at
    least.

    # get checked out by your GP just in case there's something wrong. If
    you landed on your knee it could hurt for a while and they may be able
    to advise on some treatment or things to avoid doing.

    # tell your insurance company ASAP if you're going to be making a
    claim. I dithered about this thinking the police would charge the
    driver and missed the deadline for the insurance claim (30 days ish).
    If you're not claiming think about how you want to pursue the matter
    as the police will probably tell you it's a civil dispute and you'll
    have to sort it out in court yourself.

    # get well soon and don't let it put you off riding!

    peter

  3. Quoted message said:

    Any help from you guys that have had similar experiences would be much
    appreciated.

    The police should have been notified if there is any injury.

    I am still clearing up the mess from a taxi that knocked me off March
    last year. So a year has passed even with the other side admitting
    liability. Lots and lots of paperwork and a medical exam. In theory
    the next thing to happen is the other side suggest an amount.

    I used the legal beagles Irwin Mitchell attached to my home insurance
    with Norwich Union. This does NOT count as a claim. Check your house
    insurance.

    Make sure you talk to witnesses and collect lots of information while
    it is fresh in your mind.

    Talk to a professional. Steer clear of ambulance-chasing
    moneygrabbers4you type organisations.

    Jon

  4. On 18 Mar, 20:24, Jonathan Schneider

    Quoted message said:


    The police should have been notified if there is any injury.

    Yes. Whether or not you report the accident to the police the driver
    is required to report it if he or she is aware you were injured
    (Unless at the time of the accident you were given the drivers
    insurance details.) There is no requirement for a cyclist to report
    an accident.

    http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/digest/rta170.html

    Some drivers are not aware of the requirement to report an injury
    accident even if they have stopped and swapped names and addresses
    etc. so it may be worth you reporting it so that at least the police
    will hopefully contact the other driver and ensurehe or she was
    licensed and insured etc.

    Whether or not the police taken any further action might depend on
    various factors. How bad your injury is. The attitude of the cop you
    deal with. Local force policies. CPS policy (PF in Scotland) And to a
    certain extent how hard you push things.

    At the end of the day whether the driver is charged or not does not
    stop your civil claim for damages.

    Iain

  5. Quoted message said:

    Hello

    Quoted message said:

    I'm okay, although my bike will need a new front wheel and
    possibly new forks. I have 3 witnesses who saw the accident and all
    agree that she was totally to blame. Im obviously keen to get my bike
    fixed as soon as possible although I'm a bit unsure about the correct
    procedures to follow.

    Take you bike to your LBS, and get them to check the frame. An impact
    that has damaged your front wheel and forks, could have also cracked the
    frame, which would mean that the frame needs replacing.

    Depending upon the value, age and how well maintained your bike is, it
    might not be worth repairing it, and just getting a new bike.
    (Especially for cheaper bikes)

    Quoted message said:

    Any help from you guys that have had similar experiences would be much
    appreciated.

    Don't use the no-win no-fee solicitors, when I broke my arm about seven
    years ago, they would come up to me in the street, and beg to represent
    me. After spinning me along for a year, they realised that there was no
    profit for them (hit and run), so the dropped my case.

    Also write down what happened, write down what your injuries are,
    photograph them, esp. if you have a lovely bruise. Document everything,
    and keep all receipts for out of pocket expenses.

    Martin.

  6. Quoted message said:

    Hello

    Ive just been knocked off my bike on the way home from work. A car
    coming in the opposite direction was trying to make a right turn. I
    ended up ploughing into the side of her car. Apart from a very sore
    knee, I'm okay, although my bike will need a new front wheel and
    possibly new forks. I have 3 witnesses who saw the accident and all
    agree that she was totally to blame. Im obviously keen to get my bike
    fixed as soon as possible although I'm a bit unsure about the correct
    procedures to follow.

    Any help from you guys that have had similar experiences would be much
    appreciated.

    You can claim expenses for fixing the bike and using alternative transport,
    plus compenastion for injury and suffering, from the driver, or directly
    from the driver's insurance company (if they were insured).

    I solictor will advise, and also track down the driver's insurance details
    if you don't have them.

    Photograph any visible injuries and see your GP to get a formal record of
    the injuries.

    ~PB

  7. naked_draughtsman said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hello

    Ive just been knocked off my bike on the way home from work. A car
    coming in the opposite direction was trying to make a right turn. I
    ended up ploughing into the side of her car. Apart from a very sore
    knee, I'm okay, although my bike will need a new front wheel and
    possibly new forks. I have 3 witnesses who saw the accident and all
    agree that she was totally to blame. Im obviously keen to get my bike
    fixed as soon as possible although I'm a bit unsure about the correct
    procedures to follow.

    Any help from you guys that have had similar experiences would be much
    appreciated.

    I'm probably not the best to advise but:

    # report it to the police ASAP. They say any general complaints about
    driving have to be made within 2 days although I'm not sure if it's
    longer for a accident but don't expect much to happen for a while at
    least.

    Traffic accidents which cause injury *must* be reported to the police.

  8. On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:59:26 GMT, Martin Dann <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hello

    Quoted message said:

    I'm okay, although my bike will need a new front wheel and
    possibly new forks. I have 3 witnesses who saw the accident and all
    agree that she was totally to blame. Im obviously keen to get my bike
    fixed as soon as possible although I'm a bit unsure about the correct
    procedures to follow.

    Take you bike to your LBS, and get them to check the frame. An impact
    that has damaged your front wheel and forks, could have also cracked the
    frame, which would mean that the frame needs replacing.

    Very good advice. My LBS spotted several cracks in the frame of mine
    as soon as I took it in. The guy who helped me also said that any bike
    that has been involved in a significant impact could have suffered
    invisible structural damage to the frame and he would be minded to
    write it off. They'll provide you with the report you will need to
    make a claim.

    Good luck!

  9. JNugent said:
    naked_draughtsman said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hello

    Ive just been knocked off my bike on the way home from work. A car
    coming in the opposite direction was trying to make a right turn. I
    ended up ploughing into the side of her car. Apart from a very sore
    knee, I'm okay, although my bike will need a new front wheel and
    possibly new forks. I have 3 witnesses who saw the accident and all
    agree that she was totally to blame. Im obviously keen to get my bike
    fixed as soon as possible although I'm a bit unsure about the correct
    procedures to follow.

    Any help from you guys that have had similar experiences would be much
    appreciated.

    I'm probably not the best to advise but:

    # report it to the police ASAP. They say any general complaints about
    driving have to be made within 2 days although I'm not sure if it's
    longer for a accident but don't expect much to happen for a while at
    least.

    Traffic accidents which cause injury *must* be reported to the police.

    True for incidents involving a motor vehicle - in which case the
    requirement to make such a report is on the driver of the motor vehicle.

  10. Quoted message said:

    Hello

    Ive just been knocked off my bike on the way home from work. A car
    coming in the opposite direction was trying to make a right turn. I
    ended up ploughing into the side of her car. Apart from a very sore
    knee, I'm okay, although my bike will need a new front wheel and
    possibly new forks. I have 3 witnesses who saw the accident and all
    agree that she was totally to blame. Im obviously keen to get my bike
    fixed as soon as possible although I'm a bit unsure about the correct
    procedures to follow.

    Any help from you guys that have had similar experiences would be much
    appreciated.

    Check your FRAME.

    I had a (very) similar encounter, a long time ago.

    I claimed for torn clothing and front wheel, brakes.

    Since my bike is "decent" (i.e. normal for posters here,
    I suspect) I had to get my LBS to substantiate that bike
    parts could really be THAT expensive ;-)

    But a year later, some rust on my down tube revealed
    that the head on crash (into his passenger door) had slightly
    crunched my frame, which I hadn't claimed for...

    BugBear

  11. Quoted message said:

    Hello

    Ive just been knocked off my bike on the way home from work. A car
    coming in the opposite direction was trying to make a right turn. I
    ended up ploughing into the side of her car. Apart from a very sore
    knee, I'm okay, although my bike will need a new front wheel and
    possibly new forks. I have 3 witnesses who saw the accident and all
    agree that she was totally to blame. Im obviously keen to get my bike
    fixed as soon as possible although I'm a bit unsure about the
    correct procedures to follow.

    Any help from you guys that have had similar experiences would be
    much appreciated.


    Wow, this made for spooky reading! Had an almost identical incident just
    a few days ago, no question of liability, witnesses (and in fact the
    driver corroborating my statement to the police). I'll second what
    others have said - check your frame as well, where it meets the
    headtube. Took me a second glance to notice the same issue on my own
    bike after the collision. The car wasn't in a great state either ... my
    elbow had smashed the windscreen before I bounced off onto the road.

    With photographs of damage available, and a fully itemised repair bill
    just under £240, I'm hoping the driver's insurance company won't give me
    much in the way of hassle.

    Richard

  12. JNugent said:
    naked_draughtsman said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hello

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Ive just been knocked off my bike on the way home from work. A car
    coming in the opposite direction was trying to make a right turn. I
    ended up ploughing into the side of her car. Apart from a very sore
    knee, I'm okay, although my bike will need a new front wheel and
    possibly new forks. I have 3 witnesses who saw the accident and all
    agree that she was totally to blame. Im obviously keen to get my bike
    fixed as soon as possible although I'm a bit unsure about the correct
    procedures to follow.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Any help from you guys that have had similar experiences would be much
    appreciated.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm probably not the best to advise but:

    Quoted message said:

    # report it to the police ASAP. They say any general complaints about
    driving have to be made within 2 days although I'm not sure if it's
    longer for a accident but don't expect much to happen for a while at
    least.

    Traffic accidents which cause injury *must* be reported to the police.

    ... Unless the driver stops, and provides his name and address AND
    shows him his insurance certificate.

  13. On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:08:33 -0700 (PDT), [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    Hello

    Ive just been knocked off my bike on the way home from work. A car
    coming in the opposite direction was trying to make a right turn. I
    ended up ploughing into the side of her car. Apart from a very sore
    knee, I'm okay, although my bike will need a new front wheel and
    possibly new forks. I have 3 witnesses who saw the accident and all
    agree that she was totally to blame. Im obviously keen to get my bike
    fixed as soon as possible although I'm a bit unsure about the correct
    procedures to follow.

    Any help from you guys that have had similar experiences would be much
    appreciated.

    Cheers
    Jon

    Two choices you can either pursue the claim yourself or employ someone
    else (solicitor etc)
    Working for a local authority I used to pursue third party claims,
    this is now done by the insurance company. Our sucess rate was better
    than the insurance company
    If you decide to pursue yourself you need to write to the driver
    holding them responsible for the accident and the damages / injuries
    and advising them to pass the letter on to their insurers.
    As the third party you have no contract with the person causing the
    accidents insurers, the person who caused the accident has a contract
    with their insurance company. If you need to sue you sue the driver,
    trust me we went there.
    You need to detail what you want, you can claim for the following
    Pain and suffering
    Prescription charges / non prescription medication
    Damaged clothing, don't be greedy if you trousers are two years old
    and replacements cost £50 claim 50%. Show this in your letter
    Loss of wages, beware if your employer pays you whilst off sick they
    can claim this back from you, mine claimed 50%
    Damage to your bicycle
    Cost of any estimate
    Costs associated with getting the bike to the LBS for an estimate

    Reasonable expenses
    ie cost of travelling to work etc
    However if you are claiming say £500 for injury and repairs to your
    bike, it would not be reasonable to claim an additional £1,000 for
    travelling expenses

    You have to mitigate your loss

    Depending on your injuries the third parties insurers may try and
    settle quickly, be careful. When you settle you will be required to
    sign that the compensation is in full and final settlement. You cannot
    go back for more

    I have a work colleague as a teenager he suffered whiplash when a car
    ran into the back of his, short of cash he settled quickly. He now
    suffers permanent neck pain and some days cannot twist his neck.

    A good solicitor may advise part settling the damage part of the claim
    and waiting at least 2 years before settling the personal injury side

    Alternatively get someone else to pursue the claim, there is
    satisfation in doing it yourself

    Good luck and let us know how you get on

  14. Steve Walford said:

    As the third party you have no contract with the person causing the
    accidents insurers, the person who caused the accident has a contract
    with their insurance company. If you need to sue you sue the driver,
    trust me we went there.

    You can sue the driver.

    Alternatively you can claim direct from the drivers insurance company - by
    writing direct to them. (You do not need a contract with them). A
    relative of mine did this sucessfully, with the help of a barrister friend
    specialising in personal injury - who advised that this was the best option.
    Why the myth persists that this is not an option, I do not understand.
    I and others have mentioned it several times in this newsgroup before
    anyway.

    ~PB

  15. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello

    Ive just been knocked off my bike on the way home from work. A car
    coming in the opposite direction was trying to make a right turn. I
    ended up ploughing into the side of her car. Apart from a very sore
    knee, I'm okay, although my bike will need a new front wheel and
    possibly new forks. I have 3 witnesses who saw the accident and all
    agree that she was totally to blame. Im obviously keen to get my bike
    fixed as soon as possible although I'm a bit unsure about the correct
    procedures to follow.

    Any help from you guys that have had similar experiences would be much
    appreciated.

    Take it to a bicycle repair shop.

    Quoted message said:


    Cheers
    Jon

  16. Pete Biggs said:
    Steve Walford said:

    As the third party you have no contract with the person causing the
    accidents insurers, the person who caused the accident has a contract
    with their insurance company. If you need to sue you sue the driver,
    trust me we went there.

    You can sue the driver.

    Alternatively you can claim direct from the drivers insurance company - by
    writing direct to them. (You do not need a contract with them). A
    relative of mine did this sucessfully, with the help of a barrister friend
    specialising in personal injury - who advised that this was the best option.
    Why the myth persists that this is not an option, I do not understand.
    I and others have mentioned it several times in this newsgroup before
    anyway.


    I beg to differ, well documented not a myth your claim is against the
    person, they pass the claim to their insurers and they deal with it
    from that point

    See the following
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1924968.stm
    Railtrack has issued a High Court writ for nearly £11m in compensation
    against the driver who caused the Selby train crash.

    Or are you saying Railtrack and their team of barristers got it wrong
    maybe the barrister friend should be advising Railtrack

    Article goes on to say
    A Railtrack spokesman said the writ had been served in Mr Hart's name
    but the claim - for damage and lost business due to his negligence -
    would be settled between insurance companies.

    "A claim is commenced in the United Kingdom when your road accident
    solicitor sends what is known as a "letter of claim" to the driver
    responsible."

    Recent cases where the third party has refused to inform their
    insurers, the insurance companies have refused to deal with the claims

    Anyway lifes to short to fall out
    I have my opinion you have yours
    At least Jon has received good sound advice, the choice what to do is
    his

    All the best

    Steve

  17. Steve Walford said:
    Quoted message said:

    Alternatively you can claim direct from the drivers insurance
    company - by writing direct to them. (You do not need a contract
    with them). A relative of mine did this sucessfully, with the help
    of a barrister friend specialising in personal injury - who advised
    that this was the best option. Why the myth persists that this is
    not an option, I do not understand.
    I and others have mentioned it several times in this newsgroup before
    anyway.


    I beg to differ, well documented not a myth your claim is against the
    person, they pass the claim to their insurers and they deal with it
    from that point

    When a cyclist (or any road user) is claiming expenses and compensation for
    personal injury involving a motor vehicle on the public road, they can claim
    directly from the driver's insurance company. This may not have always been
    true, but it has been for some years. It is enabled in law.

    Please don't perpetuate the myth yet again that you cannot do this. I know
    for certain that that you can. The case I mentioned invloved a relative of
    mine and I saw all the documentation and helped with it. We were advised by
    a lawyer specialising in this field.

    Note that I'm not taking about suing, I'm talking about claiming, ie.
    writing and asking for money. Insurance companies do pay out when you ask
    them for money when the evidence is clear and convincing enough. They may
    try and haggle the amount down, but you should get what you ask for if the
    amount is fairly based on case history.

    Quoted message said:

    See the following

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1924968.stm
    Railtrack has issued a High Court writ for nearly £11m in compensation
    against the driver who caused the Selby train crash.

    Or are you saying Railtrack and their team of barristers got it wrong
    maybe the barrister friend should be advising Railtrack

    There is obviously more than one way of pursuing these matters and some may
    be more appropriate for certain cases than others, or not available for some
    cases.

    The Railtrack case is about a writ. I'm not talking about writs.

    If you don't believe me you will find other cases mentioned on this
    newsgroup before.

    Quoted message said:

    I have my opinion you have yours

    It's not an opinion. It is fact that a cyclist can claim directly from the
    driver's insurance company without communicating with the driver.

    "A road user, be they a driver, pedestrian, motorcyclist or cyclist can
    claim if the collision was not their fault and your personal injury
    compensation claim would be made against the insurance company of the person
    driving the vehicle; which collided with you."

    "If you have been injured or your property has been damaged by an uninsured
    or untraced driver, you may still be able to make a claim for compensation
    via a body funded by a surcharge on insurance premiums known as the Motor
    Insurers' Bureau or MIB."

    -
    www.roadsidelawyer.co.uk/advice/claiming-compensation-for-an-injury-in-a-road-accident

    ~PB

  18. Cheeky said:

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:59:26 GMT, Martin Dann <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hello
    I'm okay, although my bike will need a new front wheel and
    possibly new forks. I have 3 witnesses who saw the accident and all
    agree that she was totally to blame. Im obviously keen to get my bike
    fixed as soon as possible although I'm a bit unsure about the correct
    procedures to follow.


    Take you bike to your LBS, and get them to check the frame. An impact
    that has damaged your front wheel and forks, could have also cracked the
    frame, which would mean that the frame needs replacing.

    Very good advice. My LBS spotted several cracks in the frame of mine
    as soon as I took it in. The guy who helped me also said that any bike
    that has been involved in a significant impact could have suffered
    invisible structural damage to the frame and he would be minded to
    write it off. They'll provide you with the report you will need to
    make a claim.

    Good luck!

    Yep.

    I dunno about aluminium frames but on the old steel frames you could
    spot frame damage by the presence of a ripple/flaking paint across the
    underside of the down tube close to the join with the head tube.

  19. Steve Walford said:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1924968.stm
    Railtrack has issued a High Court writ for nearly £11m in compensation
    against the driver who caused the Selby train crash.

    That's about a car driver causing a train crash. We're talking about a car
    driver causing a damage to a road user. There are specific laws and
    procedures for road users.

    I don't know or care about law and procedure involving trains right now.

    ~PB

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.