General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Julia Child and The French Chef

Started by Dennis Spexet · · Last activity · 65 posts · 771 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 March 2006
Last activity
28 March 2006
Original author
Dennis Spexet
Posts
65
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
771
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 65
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My local public TV station has been showing old French Chef episodes. I
    recorded some on my Tivo, and watched them this morning while having
    breakfast.

    It's been a really, really long time since I've seen them (at least 25
    years), so it was like watching them new again. What really struck me about
    the shows was their totally unpretentious nature, especially when compared
    to cooking shows of today.

    In one episode, Julia was making omelettes. She was making them on an
    ordinary electric coil range -- no fancy gas cooktops. Instead of showing
    off the latest in fancy cookware, she used a plain old nonstick skillet.
    The omelettes didn't look "picture perfect", but they looked great enough to
    eat!

    On another episode, Julia was making potato recipes. She tried to flip a
    potato pancake, and it broke up -- with some of it on the stove. No
    problem -- she just picked up the broken pieces, put it all on a plate, and
    covered it up with cheese (or something like that, I forget now).

    She even wiped her face off with a towel a couple times during the show,
    because all the range burners were making the place hot. How often would
    you see that happen today?

    I thought it was pretty cool seeing all that stuff again, because it puts
    today's modern attitudes in a new light. Julia didn't have to use the
    fanciest appliances or the fanciest cookware. Her technique didn't have to
    be perfect, and she didn't have to look perfect. All she needed to do was
    MAKE GOOD FOOD.

    Seeing how things turned out in her life, I'll bet she made some pretty good
    food indeed.

  2. "Dennis Spexet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My local public TV station has been showing old French Chef episodes. I
    recorded some on my Tivo, and watched them this morning while having
    breakfast.

    It's been a really, really long time since I've seen them (at least 25
    years), so it was like watching them new again. What really struck me
    about the shows was their totally unpretentious nature, especially when
    compared to cooking shows of today.

    In one episode, Julia was making omelettes. She was making them on an
    ordinary electric coil range -- no fancy gas cooktops. Instead of showing
    off the latest in fancy cookware, she used a plain old nonstick skillet.
    The omelettes didn't look "picture perfect", but they looked great enough
    to eat!

    On another episode, Julia was making potato recipes. She tried to flip a
    potato pancake, and it broke up -- with some of it on the stove. No
    problem -- she just picked up the broken pieces, put it all on a plate,
    and covered it up with cheese (or something like that, I forget now).

    She even wiped her face off with a towel a couple times during the show,
    because all the range burners were making the place hot. How often would
    you see that happen today?

    I thought it was pretty cool seeing all that stuff again, because it puts
    today's modern attitudes in a new light. Julia didn't have to use the
    fanciest appliances or the fanciest cookware. Her technique didn't have
    to be perfect, and she didn't have to look perfect. All she needed to do
    was MAKE GOOD FOOD.

    Seeing how things turned out in her life, I'll bet she made some pretty
    good food indeed.

    Here's one of my Favorites, which I treasure:

    http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/

    Dora

  3. "Dennis Spexet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My local public TV station has been showing old French Chef episodes. I
    recorded some on my Tivo, and watched them this morning while having
    breakfast.

    It's been a really, really long time since I've seen them (at least 25
    years), so it was like watching them new again. What really struck me
    about the shows was their totally unpretentious nature, especially when
    compared to cooking shows of today.

    I learned from Julia that it's sometimes OK (or necessary) to knock down a
    half bottle of wine when you're cooking. :-)

  4. Dennis Spexet said:


    In one episode, Julia was making omelettes. She was making them on an
    ordinary electric coil range -- no fancy gas cooktops. Instead of showing
    off the latest in fancy cookware, she used a plain old nonstick skillet.

    Anyone notice the stand mixer she was using?
    It wsn't the ubiquitous (these days) KitchenAid.

  5. Doug Kanter said:

    I learned from Julia that it's sometimes OK (or necessary) to knock down a
    half bottle of wine when you're cooking. :-)

    You'd have loved Justin Wilson. He operated on the premise the recipe
    should get half as much wine as he did ...preferrably second!

    nb

  6. Dennis Spexet said:

    [snip]
    It's been a really, really long time since I've seen them (at least 25
    years), so it was like watching them new again. What really struck me about
    the shows was their totally unpretentious nature, especially when compared
    to cooking shows of today. [snip]

    In "Julia Child and Company," after first saying, "Preparation is
    everything," she offers this wonderful perspective:

    In private or public cooking, broad, firm gestures are the most
    efficient. Wallop your steaks! Whoosh up your egg whites! And,
    behind your chafing dish and before your guests, act with assurance
    and decisiveness. Let every move accomplish something, and
    don't twiddle. As brevity is the soul of wit, spareness or "line"
    is the basis of bravura. And "line" is a matter of practice and
    preparation, which really is not dirty work for those who love to
    cook.

    Wallop! Whoosh! Don't twiddle! What a great broad. -aem

  7. On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:56:01 -0800, Mark Thorson <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone notice the stand mixer she was using?
    It wsn't the ubiquitous (these days) KitchenAid.

    Today...anything you see on a "cooking show" IS PUT THERE for a
    specific reason..........visual advertising. Which makes me laugh
    when a easily identifiable product, i.e. Ritz Crackers, and they have
    blacked out the identifying logo. You would have to be a space alien
    not to know what the brand was.

    Julia prepared good food....she was not a prostitute for the network.

  8. "Siobhan Perricone" wrote > "limey"

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Here's one of my Favorites, which I treasure:

    http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/

    This link doesn't specify an episode, can you tell us which it is? 🙂

    Siobhan Perricone

    The closest I can come to naming a specific episode is: Click on "Meet the
    Chefs". This gives a breakdown of four different categories of Julia's
    cooking with various chefs. Click on a specific chef, then you can choose
    a dish being prepared by that chef (e.g., Jacques Pepin) in conjunction with
    Julia.

    It doesn't show a log of specific PBS/Julia episodes
    that I could find, but I just enjoy browsing through the various categories
    and chefs.

    Dora

  9. notbob said:
    Doug Kanter said:

    I learned from Julia that it's sometimes OK (or necessary) to knock down a
    half bottle of wine when you're cooking. :-)

    You'd have loved Justin Wilson. He operated on the premise the recipe
    should get half as much wine as he did ...preferrably second!

    He came to my radio program half-sozzled. We proceeded to get the rest
    of the way together while we were on the air. We drank his "Thomas
    Justin Collinses."

    Great guy...

    Pastorio

  10. Mark Thorson said:
    Dennis Spexet said:

    In one episode, Julia was making omelettes. She was making them on an
    ordinary electric coil range -- no fancy gas cooktops. Instead of showing
    off the latest in fancy cookware, she used a plain old nonstick skillet.

    Anyone notice the stand mixer she was using?
    It wsn't the ubiquitous (these days) KitchenAid.

    I *want* a KA. Notice I stressed want because for me it is a want. I've
    managed all these years without one. I have a hand held mixer, wisks,
    use a breadmaker, and don't make a lot in the way of cakes. Still I
    want one. A friend and I were talking as she wants one too. We were
    watching the food channel at her house when one of the chefs was using
    one and she made a couple of interesting comments. She does a lot of
    baking as in cakes, cookies and desserts. There isn't a lot of room to
    add ingredients and like me she has limited space although she has room
    to store hers in the utility room. Like me she has limited counter
    space and while we've not measured I might have about 4" more. So space
    and useablity are the two things we really talked about.

  11. I love how she advised that you never disclose your mistakes or
    apologize to anyone for them. You learn by them, but the truth is that
    very few people (outside of this cooking group, obviously) are
    comfortable having guests for dinner and pulling off a great meal
    (hence the ever-present invitation of "pot luck" which burns me up) and
    they will line up to eat anything you prepare as long as you do it with
    love and passion. She will forever live in my heart as my greatest
    cooking influence, with the exception of my mom and grandmothers.

    Sandy

  12. Dennis Spexet wrote, re Julia Child:

    "Seeing how things turned out in her life, I'll bet she made some
    pretty good food indeed."

    I've been watching PBS too. I miss her shows, as my culinary training,
    like many others, started by watching her show. Compared with most
    cooking shows today, it was inspirational, while being down to earth.
    She made a person feel that cooking something new and different, or
    using a new technique, well, it was totally possible.

    My favorite episode was where early on, she made a birthday dinner for
    herself. The idea that you could make a cake out of circles of baked
    merangue (sp?), and, then frost if with apricot jam was a brain-opener
    for me. I checked out my first cook book from the library that night,
    as we cerainly didn't have any in my home.

    I loved Julia Child's programs.

    DEE

  13. Dennis Spexet wrote :

    Quoted message said:

    All she needed to do was
    MAKE GOOD FOOD.

    Dennis,

    I'd rephrase that: All she needed to do was make good tasting food. And she
    had that down pat.

    Her technique, knowledge and sense of humor was what make her so endearing,
    imho.

    I have her (and her colleagues) book Mastering the Art of French Cooking.
    Cost me $0.25 at a yard sale. I just don't have the heart that would
    outlive one of her recipes in my condition. 😉

    Andy

  14. Dennis Spexet said:

    My local public TV station has been showing old French Chef episodes.
    I recorded some on my Tivo, and watched them this morning while
    having breakfast.

    For those really interested, the series is available on DVD, available
    from PBS or Amazon (doubtlessly elsewhere). I also see that Netflix at
    least carries it for rent.

    Brian

    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  15. Quoted message said:


    I thought it was pretty cool seeing all that stuff again, because it puts
    today's modern attitudes in a new light. Julia didn't have to use the
    fanciest appliances or the fanciest cookware. Her technique didn't have


    to

    Quoted message said:

    be perfect, and she didn't have to look perfect. All she needed to do was
    MAKE GOOD FOOD.

    Seeing how things turned out in her life, I'll bet she made some pretty


    good

    Quoted message said:

    food indeed.

    I liked were when she tackled a large piece of meat or a giant piece of
    fish. Since there's no way to predict what will happen when you have to
    trim, turn, or pick up something big, wet, and ready to fall apart like
    that, most modern shows don't show how much hassle it can be working with
    large food. Julia made that part of the kicks she got from cooking and doing
    it for an audience.--
    Lefty

    Life is for learning
    The worst I ever had was wonderful

    Quoted message said:
  16. "Bob (this one)" <[email hidden]>,in rec.food.cookingwrote:
    and entertained us with

    Quoted message said:
    notbob said:
    Doug Kanter said:

    I learned from Julia that it's sometimes OK (or necessary) to knock down a
    half bottle of wine when you're cooking. :-)

    You'd have loved Justin Wilson. He operated on the premise the recipe
    should get half as much wine as he did ...preferrably second!

    He came to my radio program half-sozzled. We proceeded to get the rest
    of the way together while we were on the air. We drank his "Thomas
    Justin Collinses."

    Great guy...

    Pastorio

    Is he still with us ? I enjoyed his shows although I don't like that
    style of cooking.

    Sheena

  17. lucretia borgia said:

    "Bob (this one)" <[email hidden]>,in rec.food.cookingwrote:
    and entertained us with

    Quoted message said:
    notbob said:

    On 2006-03-26, Doug Kanter <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > I learned from Julia that it's sometimes OK (or necessary) to knock down a
    > half bottle of wine when you're cooking. :-)
    You'd have loved Justin Wilson. He operated on the premise the recipe
    should get half as much wine as he did ...preferrably second!


    He came to my radio program half-sozzled. We proceeded to get the rest
    of the way together while we were on the air. We drank his "Thomas
    Justin Collinses."

    Great guy...

    Pastorio

    Is he still with us ? I enjoyed his shows although I don't like that
    style of cooking.

    No, Justin Wilson is no more. He passed away in 2001.

    Meanwhile, let the news go forth that the widespread reports of Julia's
    generous on-air tippling are exaggerations. Julia didn't drink as she
    worked, and in fact the "wine" she would pour when her finished meal was
    served at the end of an episode was (and I always thought this was
    well-known) Gravy Master-colored water. Even so, the tale still lives as
    large as the one about the day she dropped a turkey on the air... or was
    it a chicken? Either way, didn't happen.

  18. Pennyaline said:

    Meanwhile, let the news go forth that the widespread reports of Julia's
    generous on-air tippling are exaggerations. Julia didn't drink as she
    worked, and in fact the "wine" she would pour when her finished meal was
    served at the end of an episode was (and I always thought this was
    well-known) Gravy Master-colored water. Even so, the tale still lives as
    large as the one about the day she dropped a turkey on the air... or was
    it a chicken? Either way, didn't happen.

    I've seen it. It's an out take that's out on the net
    somewhere. If I come across the link I'll post it.

    It's funny as hell, too.

    --
    Reg

  19. Pennyaline said:

    Meanwhile, let the news go forth that the widespread reports of Julia's
    generous on-air tippling are exaggerations. Julia didn't drink as she
    worked, and in fact the "wine" she would pour when her finished meal was
    served at the end of an episode was (and I always thought this was
    well-known) Gravy Master-colored water.

    Yes, I've seen this reported, too. The exaggerated tippling comes from
    the SNL skits about her, I think. -aem

  20. Reg said:
    Pennyaline said:

    Meanwhile, let the news go forth that the widespread reports of
    Julia's generous on-air tippling are exaggerations. Julia didn't
    drink as she worked, and in fact the "wine" she would pour when
    her finished meal was served at the end of an episode was (and I
    always thought this was well-known) Gravy Master-colored water.
    Even so, the tale still lives as large as the one about the day
    she dropped a turkey on the air... or was it a chicken? Either
    way, didn't happen.

    I've seen it. It's an out take that's out on the net
    somewhere. If I come across the link I'll post it.

    It's funny as hell, too.

    Snopes says Julia denied it.

    http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/julia.htm

    "Child admitted time and again to the potato pancake incident but
    always firmly maintained she never dropped a chicken, duck, or whatever
    else the rumor has ascribed to her. Thanks to the power of manufactured
    memory, fans of the show remain convinced they saw something she
    directly and repeatedly denied."

    Brian
    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.