Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

It's Time to Re-Institute the Draft!

Started by Mike Vandeman · · Last activity · 6 posts · 521 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
28 October 2007
Last activity
1 November 2007
Original author
Mike Vandeman
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
521
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. To the editor:

    No, I'm not recommending sending more of our young people to Iraq to
    be cannon fodder. I'm talking about sending them to places where we
    can begin to repair the image of the United States, and do work that
    will actually benefit the countries we visit, the environment, and
    (indirectly) ourselves. Some could be administered by the Peace Corps.
    Others could help restore habitat, train park rangers, and help people
    learn how to survive without killing endangered species. I'm sure that
    there are many charitable organizations already doing such work, which
    could come up with other good ideas.

    If we had a Department of Peace, it could oversee this work, and do a
    lot more good than our Department of "Defense". Of course, it would
    require thinking about other countries in a new way, not just in terms
    of whether they are part of an "Axis of Evil". To avoid contributing
    to global warming, perhaps they could travel by bicycle or sailboat. .
    .. . I think that such work would do far more good than the Olympics,
    which harms the environment by causing huge amounts of airplane travel
    and by promoting environmentally destructive sports like mountain
    biking.

    Sincerely,

    Mike Vandeman
    --
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  2. Mike Vandeman said:

    To the editor:...

    There is an editor here?

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

  3. Tom Sherman said:
    Mike Vandeman said:

    To the editor:...

    There is an editor here?

    Define "here".
    --
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  4. Mike Vandeman said:

    To the editor:

    No, I'm not recommending sending more of our young people to Iraq to
    be cannon fodder. I'm talking about sending them to places where we
    can begin to repair the image of the United States, and do work that
    will actually benefit the countries we visit, the environment, and
    (indirectly) ourselves.

    <snip>

    Finally, a decent idea ... But just like the draft of the past there
    should be limits (e.g. 17-27 as it was) to the draft. I would suggest
    the draft be limited to over 50 Ph.d's in non-tenure tack positions.
    Service should be overseas in countries with no internet services only
    (too much of a distraction).

    R

  5. You were doing pretty good until you got to the part about traveling by
    rowboat and the destructive nature of the Olympics and Olympic spectators.

    I'm surprised you didn't put in a PS, we should ban wildfires too because
    they result in the loss of habitat -- OR -- you could PS that we should
    promote wildfires then ban rebuilding homes so the land could revert to
    habitat.

    "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    To the editor:

    No, I'm not recommending sending more of our young people to Iraq to
    be cannon fodder. I'm talking about sending them to places where we
    can begin to repair the image of the United States, and do work that
    will actually benefit the countries we visit, the environment, and
    (indirectly) ourselves. Some could be administered by the Peace Corps.
    Others could help restore habitat, train park rangers, and help people
    learn how to survive without killing endangered species. I'm sure that
    there are many charitable organizations already doing such work, which
    could come up with other good ideas.

    If we had a Department of Peace, it could oversee this work, and do a
    lot more good than our Department of "Defense". Of course, it would
    require thinking about other countries in a new way, not just in terms
    of whether they are part of an "Axis of Evil". To avoid contributing
    to global warming, perhaps they could travel by bicycle or sailboat. .
    . . I think that such work would do far more good than the Olympics,
    which harms the environment by causing huge amounts of airplane travel
    and by promoting environmentally destructive sports like mountain
    biking.

    Sincerely,

    Mike Vandeman
    --
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
    fond of!

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  6. Mike Vandeman said:
    Tom Sherman said:
    Mike Vandeman said:

    To the editor:...


    There is an editor here?

    Define "here".

    Unmoderated Usenet groups.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

    Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.