UK and Europe · Public discussion

It's bike, but not as we know it.

Started by killermike · · Last activity · 13 posts · 178 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
13 August 2007
Last activity
16 August 2007
Original author
killermike
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
178
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. From my blog posting on the "new" bike.

    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/

    Links to pics of the new beasty:
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/wp-content/images/newbike1_640.jpg
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/wp-content/images/newbike2_640.jpg

    Some of you may know that I’ve been without a bike for the last month or so.
    I have come to terms with the fact that, as my bike is my only means of
    transport, I really need two bikes: a main bike and a backup bike for
    emergencies.

    Fortunately, my mother came up trumps on Saturday and managed to pick up an
    old bike for six pounds. I haven’t properly identified the bike yet but I
    would estimate that it’s from the 70’s. It has 26×1 3/8 wheels and is of a
    type that was sometimes called a “English Tourer”. Here she is (the bike,
    not my mother):
    The new bikethe new bike 2

    So, that’s the spare bike sorted and I now have to decide whether to fix the
    main bike or to replace it.

    I have now taken the “new” bike out for a utility ride across town. First
    things first: it’s easy to romanticize the virtues of a classic-looking old
    bike, but it doesn’t offer a really great riding experience compared to the
    hard-tail mountain bike with slicks that I am used to; a five mile round
    trip with a bit of shopping thrown in has tired me out. For one thing, the
    extra weight of the bike makes hard work of even the slightest ascent. In
    addition to the extra weight, a lot of energy is probably being wasted due
    to the age of the parts coupled with the, less efficient, three-speed hub
    gears.

    On the plus side, any bike is far better than no bike. Setting out at 10 am,
    I traveled across town, did a tour of some charity shops, dropped in to see
    a friend and was back home again for about 12:30. Try doing that on foot or
    via public transport. Also, in the plus column: I quite like the look of
    the bike, it’s in working order, and it has a rear carrier rack. It
    couldn’t quite manage my easy clip on Lidl panniers, but a smaller Raleigh
    pannier (another car boot find) worked very well.

    The ride home was easier than the ride out. I think that part of the trick
    of riding this bike is to avoid fast acceleration. Working with the
    increased mass and relatively inefficient drive system of the bike, rather
    than a against it, seems to be the right approach.

    Another problem with a steel rimmed bike of this sort is that it is lethal
    in the wet. One has to plan ahead carefully when the sodden rims reduce the
    breaking efficiency down to about 1/3 of what it is in dryer weather. Bear
    in mind that this bike would demolish an SUV in a head to head
    collision :-)

    The valve on the inner-tube adheres to a long forgotten “woods” standard.
    Fortunately, you can, just about, get pressure into the tire using the
    smaller of the two current standard connectors.

    I have some hope that I can gain some improvement in ease of pedaling when I
    get around to increasing the hight of the seat. I suspect that making the
    effort to get a bit more pressure into the tires will also improve the
    speed of the bike.

    All in all, I’m glad to be with bike again. By the time that I have
    completed the equivalent of two longish bus round-trips, it will have paid
    for itself. I have also learnt my lesson in terms of maintaining a spare
    bike.

    --
    ***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/amhs/ - alt.music.home-studio

  2. Quoted message said:

    Fortunately, my mother came up trumps on Saturday and managed to pick
    up an old bike for six pounds. I haven’t properly identified the
    bike yet but I would estimate that it’s from the 70’s. It has
    26×1 3/8 wheels and is of a type that was sometimes called a
    “English Tourer”.

    Lovely things, as long as you're at a trundly pace. You're right about the
    tyre pressure and saddle - whack a decent amount of air in and get the
    saddle at a suitable height and the ride will be transformed.

    --
    Mark T

  3. killermike said:

    From my blog posting on the "new" bike.

    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/

    Links to pics of the new beasty:http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/wp-content/images/newbike1_640.jpghttp://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/wp-content/images/newbike2_640.jpg

    Some of you may know that I've been without a bike for the last month or so.
    I have come to terms with the fact that, as my bike is my only means of
    transport, I really need two bikes: a main bike and a backup bike for
    emergencies.

    Fortunately, my mother came up trumps on Saturday and managed to pick up an
    old bike for six pounds. I haven't properly identified the bike yet but I
    would estimate that it's from the 70's. It has 26×1 3/8 wheels and is of a
    type that was sometimes called a "English Tourer". Here she is (the bike,
    not my mother):
    The new bikethe new bike 2

    So, that's the spare bike sorted and I now have to decide whether to fix the
    main bike or to replace it.

    I have now taken the "new" bike out for a utility ride across town. First
    things first: it's easy to romanticize the virtues of a classic-looking old
    bike, but it doesn't offer a really great riding experience compared to the
    hard-tail mountain bike with slicks that I am used to; a five mile round
    trip with a bit of shopping thrown in has tired me out. For one thing, the
    extra weight of the bike makes hard work of even the slightest ascent. In
    addition to the extra weight, a lot of energy is probably being wasted due
    to the age of the parts coupled with the, less efficient, three-speed hub
    gears.

    On the plus side, any bike is far better than no bike. Setting out at 10 am,
    I traveled across town, did a tour of some charity shops, dropped in to see
    a friend and was back home again for about 12:30. Try doing that on foot or
    via public transport. Also, in the plus column: I quite like the look of
    the bike, it's in working order, and it has a rear carrier rack. It
    couldn't quite manage my easy clip on Lidl panniers, but a smaller Raleigh
    pannier (another car boot find) worked very well.

    The ride home was easier than the ride out. I think that part of the trick
    of riding this bike is to avoid fast acceleration. Working with the
    increased mass and relatively inefficient drive system of the bike, rather
    than a against it, seems to be the right approach.

    Another problem with a steel rimmed bike of this sort is that it is lethal
    in the wet. One has to plan ahead carefully when the sodden rims reduce the
    breaking efficiency down to about 1/3 of what it is in dryer weather. Bear
    in mind that this bike would demolish an SUV in a head to head
    collision :-)

    The valve on the inner-tube adheres to a long forgotten "woods" standard.
    Fortunately, you can, just about, get pressure into the tire using the
    smaller of the two current standard connectors.

    I have some hope that I can gain some improvement in ease of pedaling when I
    get around to increasing the hight of the seat. I suspect that making the
    effort to get a bit more pressure into the tires will also improve the
    speed of the bike.

    All in all, I'm glad to be with bike again. By the time that I have
    completed the equivalent of two longish bus round-trips, it will have paid
    for itself. I have also learnt my lesson in terms of maintaining a spare
    bike.

    Looks allright. That's quite a pronounced rake on the forks compared
    to todays trends. Is that a Puch logo to be seen on the chain-guard
    and elsewhere - think I just about remember seeing those on the roads
    when I was but a kid.

    ps If you ever want to make your money back, I may give you six quid
    for the fenders :-)

    Duncan

  4. killermike said:

    Fortunately, my mother came up trumps on Saturday and managed to pick up an
    old bike for six pounds. I haven’t properly identified the bike yet but I
    would estimate that it’s from the 70’s. It has 26×1 3/8 wheels and is of a
    type that was sometimes called a “English Tourer”. Here she is (the bike,
    not my mother):
    The new bikethe new bike 2

    That looks just like the one my older brother used to have in the late
    70s/early 80s. I remember lusting after it at the time, before I got my
    single speed replaced with a Raleigh Europa 3 speed (which strangely
    looked nothing like the Europas I can find on google now in a fit of
    nostalgia).

    Happy days :-)

    Matt

  5. Coo that makes me go all nostalgic. My first full size bike was very
    similar, a Puch Elegance, a quick search finds pics of such things
    here: http://www.renaissancecycles.co.uk/gallery.htm

    Rode it for years, despite bending the forks and frame by crashing
    into a wall.
    I see yours has the traditional orange chrome rims, do they still make
    Solvol Autosol for cleaning them up?

  6. On 13 Aug, 21:54, Mark T
    <pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>

    Quoted message said:


    Lovely things, as long as you're at a trundly pace. You're right about the
    tyre pressure and saddle - whack a decent amount of air in and get the
    saddle at a suitable height and the ride will be transformed.


    Yep, and don't knock the 3-speed SA hub (too much). It will keep
    going on next to no maintenance, and it's not 'that' inefficient per
    see (unlike your saddle hight and soft tyres), just a bit restricted
    on gear range.
    Enjoy!

  7. On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:31:00 +0100

    killermike said:

    From my blog posting on the "new" bike.

    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/

    we have a friendly local semi-tramp here who is always seen with
    a bike that looks much like that. He says it's over 40 years old,
    but is still in excellent nick. Drawback is, it's not so good for
    the hills around here.

    --
    not me guv

  8. Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as killermike
    <[email hidden]> gently breathed:

    Quoted message said:

    From my blog posting on the "new" bike.

    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/

    Links to pics of the new beasty:
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/wp-content/images/newbike1_640.jpg
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/wp-content/images/newbike2_640.jpg

    Beautiful!

    Quoted message said:

    The ride home was easier than the ride out. I think that part of the trick
    of riding this bike is to avoid fast acceleration. Working with the
    increased mass and relatively inefficient drive system of the bike, rather
    than a against it, seems to be the right approach.

    Yes, steady progress rather than sprinting is what a bike like that is
    designed for - it's how they still ride in Holland, and a lot more
    sociable than the "head down, go like a maniac" approach that is more
    common here.

    As others have said, raising the seat and pumping the tyres up hard will
    improve the ride quite a bit.

    Quoted message said:

    All in all, I’m glad to be with bike again. By the time that I have
    completed the equivalent of two longish bus round-trips, it will have paid
    for itself. I have also learnt my lesson in terms of maintaining a spare
    bike.

    Hmm - I've only got the Gazelle, perhaps I should use this an excuse to
    get another bike? Quite fancy a 'bent at some point... :-)

    --
    - DJ Pyromancer, Black Sheep, Leeds. <http://www.sheepish.net>
    Hard Rock, Leeds <http://www.hard-rock.org.uk>
    Broadband, Dialup, Domains = <http://www.wytches.net> = The UK's Pagan ISP!
    <http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk> <http://www.revival.stormshadow.com>

  9. killermike said:

    From my blog posting on the "new" bike.

    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/

    Links to pics of the new beasty:
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/wp-content/images/newbike1_640.jpg
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/wp-content/images/newbike2_640.jpg

    Whatever you do, don't pour any of that 3-in-one down the tempting
    little lubrication hole in the sturmey hub. It'll evaporate to leave an
    unleasant goo which will stop the gears from working.

    Roger Thorpe

  10. POHB said:

    Coo that makes me go all nostalgic. My first full size bike was very
    similar, a Puch Elegance, a quick search finds pics of such things
    here: http://www.renaissancecycles.co.uk/gallery.htm

    Rode it for years, despite bending the forks and frame by crashing
    into a wall.
    I see yours has the traditional orange chrome rims, do they still make
    Solvol Autosol for cleaning them up?

    Bah! Makes it less attractive to theives. I wonder if rust makes the rims
    more effective in the wet? Yes... that's why I've left it like that...
    that's the reason...

    --
    ***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/amhs/ - alt.music.home-studio

  11. Roger Thorpe said:
    killermike said:

    From my blog posting on the "new" bike.

    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/

    Links to pics of the new beasty:
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/wp-content/images/newbike1_640.jpg
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/wp-content/images/newbike2_640.jpg

    Whatever you do, don't pour any of that 3-in-one down the tempting
    little lubrication hole in the sturmey hub. It'll evaporate to leave an
    unleasant goo which will stop the gears from working.

    Thanks for the tip.

    --
    ***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/amhs/ - alt.music.home-studio

  12. killermike said:
    Roger Thorpe said:

    killermike wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    From my blog posting on the "new" bike.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Links to pics of the new beasty:
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/wp-content/images/newbike1_640.jpg
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/wp-content/images/newbike2_640.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    Whatever you do, don't pour any of that 3-in-one down the tempting
    little lubrication hole in the sturmey hub. It'll evaporate to leave an
    unleasant goo which will stop the gears from working.

    Thanks for the tip.

    --
    ***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)http://www.unmusic.co.uk- about me, music, geek sitcom etc.http://www.unmusic.co.uk/amhs/- alt.music.home-studio

    that does ring a bell as kid on officer the old bikes had a 3 speed
    hub, which unless memory is playing tricks stopped after some
    oiling....

    bike is still there rusting in peace at my folks place

    roger

  13. killermike said:

    From my blog posting on the "new" bike.

    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/

    Links to pics of the new beasty:
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/wp-content/images/newbike1_640.jpg
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk/cycling/wp-content/images/newbike2_640.jpg


    Nice. Brings back memories ....

    As a student, some two decades ago, I used to ride one of those old navy
    blue BSAs (after my bright yellow MTB got nicked). It was so heavy, but
    bullet-proof and of no interest to thieves. Often, I didn't bother to
    lock it, and anyway, my lock got pinched along with the other bike. It
    had caliper brakes, I think, rather than rod brakes, so maybe that would
    help date it. My mum got it from an elderly gentleman, who'd had it in
    the late 50's or early 60's (he said) and kept it in his heated garage.
    I think at one time, the police used to use a similar bike, which was
    labelled "Wayfarer", although mine had no name on it. Even the mudguards
    were steel, and had chrome trims on the ends.

    The inner tubes were red india rubber, which I think is quite pourous,
    and would need regular top ups. The huge chain guard got damaged and
    irrevocably bent, so I removed it, and it probably took about a kilo of
    the bike's weight (but made little percentage difference). After a while
    I also removed the rear carrier, which was made of really thick black
    metal, like wrought iron, and also (seemingly) weighed about a ton.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.