Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Issac newton &the downhill test adventure

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 25 posts · 1,018 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 April 2006
Last activity
22 April 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,018
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am 220 +/- my friend is 150 +/-. He has a relatively new mirage grupo
    I have a mich-mach grupo but!!!?!: dura ace front and Phil rear hubs.
    When we coast downhill I usually beat him often by significant
    lengths. Is weight a factor [pace Issac]? I assume that it is the
    quality of the hubs that makes the difference.
    Thmx

  2. email hidden said:

    I am 220 +/- my friend is 150 +/-. He has a relatively new mirage grupo
    I have a mich-mach grupo but!!!?!: dura ace front and Phil rear hubs.
    When we coast downhill I usually beat him often by significant
    lengths. Is weight a factor [pace Issac]? I assume that it is the
    quality of the hubs that makes the difference.
    Thmx

    Dear Stan,

    There's probably not enough difference in bearing drag
    between the two hubs to be measured by any readily available
    tools.

    You roll downhill faster than your friend because you weigh
    almost 50% more than he does, but your frontal area hasn't
    increased anywhere near 50%.

    Gravity is pulling you down 50% harder, but your wind drag
    doesn't hold you back that much--you have to go faster to
    generate enough wind drag to match gravity and stop
    accelerating.

    In a nutshell, volume and mass tend to increase with the
    cube of height, but surface area and wind drag tend to
    increase more slowly, with the square of height.

    Compare a cube 1x1x1 to a cube 2x2x2. The small cube has one
    square foot of frontal area to one cubic foot of volume,
    corresponding to a 1 to 1 ratio of wind drag to gravity. The
    large cube has only 4 square feet of frontal area to 8 cubic
    feet of volume, a 1 to 2 ratio of wind drag to gravity. The
    bigger cube has to go faster before its wind drag matches
    the pull of gravity.

    Online bicycle speed calculators show this sort of thing at
    work:

    http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

    Pick hands-on-drops, -7 for a decent downhill slope, 0
    cadence, 0 watts power, and whatever weights and heights you
    have in mind.

    For a 150-lb rider 67.7 inches tall, the calculator predicts
    a terminal velocity of 39.6 mph.

    For a 220-lb rider 72 inches tall, the calculator predicts a
    terminal velocity of 43.8 mph, 4.2 mph faster.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  3. Quoted message said:

    I am 220 +/- my friend is 150 +/-. He has a relatively new mirage
    grupo I have a mich-mach grupo but!!!?!: dura ace front and Phil rear
    hubs. When we coast downhill I usually beat him often by significant
    lengths. Is weight a factor [pace Issac]? I assume that it is the
    quality of the hubs that makes the difference.
    Thmx

    Uh... duh... Galileo did this little test a little while ago. He dropped
    weights from the Leaning Tower of Pepperoni Pizza and determined, since the
    heavier weight hit the ground first, that heavy things fall faster.

    Think about it... drop a feather and a bowling ball at the same time. Which
    one hits the ground first?

    So, since you weigh more, you "fall" down the hills faster. Gosh, physics
    is easy to understand... why is it so hard to grasp?

    I am so going to hell for this post. *send*
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training


  4. Quoted message said:

    I am so going to hell for this post. *send*
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    If Hell were the destination of Internet misinformation promulgators,
    it would be a lot more crowded than it is today! I think you are safe.
    On this count at least!

    Joseph

  5. U¿ytkownik "Phil, Squid-in-Training" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
    news:kBm1g.3550$B42.2232@dukeread05...

    Quoted message said:

    Think about it... drop a feather and a bowling ball at the same time.
    Which one hits the ground first?

    Depends on a planet - does it have an atmosphere or not? We don't know where
    stankurz and his friend are riding.

    --
    Cheers
    marcin
    www.enduro.95mb.com

  6. Quoted message said:

    I am 220 +/- my friend is 150 +/-. He has a relatively new mirage grupo
    I have a mich-mach grupo but!!!?!: dura ace front and Phil rear hubs.
    When we coast downhill I usually beat him often by significant
    lengths. Is weight a factor [pace Issac]? I assume that it is the
    quality of the hubs that makes the difference.
    Thmx


    Assuming you both start down the hill at the same speed, and all other
    things equal, your friend will coast further. Simply stated he has a
    higher ratio of energy/wind resistance.
    EJ in NJ

  7. Quoted message said:

    I am 220 +/- my friend is 150 +/-. He has a relatively new mirage grupo
    I have a mich-mach grupo but!!!?!: dura ace front and Phil rear hubs.
    When we coast downhill I usually beat him often by significant
    lengths. Is weight a factor [pace Issac]? I assume that it is the
    quality of the hubs that makes the difference.
    Thmx

    Obey gravity, it's the Law......

  8. In article <kBm1g.3550$B42.2232@dukeread05>,
    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am 220 +/- my friend is 150 +/-. He has a relatively new mirage
    grupo I have a mich-mach grupo but!!!?!: dura ace front and Phil
    rear hubs. When we coast downhill I usually beat him often by
    significant lengths. Is weight a factor [pace Issac]? I assume that
    it is the quality of the hubs that makes the difference. Thmx

    Uh... duh... Galileo did this little test a little while ago. He
    dropped weights from the Leaning Tower of Pepperoni Pizza and
    determined, since the heavier weight hit the ground first, that heavy
    things fall faster.

    Think about it... drop a feather and a bowling ball at the same time.
    Which one hits the ground first?

    How about in a vacuum?

  9. email hidden said:

    I am 220 +/- my friend is 150 +/-. He has a relatively new mirage grupo
    I have a mich-mach grupo but!!!?!: dura ace front and Phil rear hubs.
    When we coast downhill I usually beat him often by significant
    lengths. Is weight a factor [pace Issac]? I assume that it is the
    quality of the hubs that makes the difference.

    Weight and the tires will make more difference than the hubs. It
    takes a truly abysmal bearing (by bike hubs standards) to make a
    difference you'd see in this area. None of those hubs has a bearing
    tat will produce enough drag to show up here. On the other hand,
    significant variances in rolling resistances between tires are common,
    but that could go either way; if you've got the higher-resistance
    tires, it would reduce the difference, while if the other rider has
    them, it would contribute to it.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  10. Ernie Willson said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am 220 +/- my friend is 150 +/-. He has a relatively new mirage grupo
    I have a mich-mach grupo but!!!?!: dura ace front and Phil rear hubs.
    When we coast downhill I usually beat him often by significant
    lengths. Is weight a factor [pace Issac]? I assume that it is the
    quality of the hubs that makes the difference.
    Thmx


    Assuming you both start down the hill at the same speed, and all other
    things equal, your friend will coast further. Simply stated he has a
    higher ratio of energy/wind resistance.

    I think you got that backwards. The lighter rider has the
    disadvantage in this...until they hit the next climb.

    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  11. On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:11:08 +0200, "Marcin J." <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    U¿ytkownik "Phil, Squid-in-Training" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
    news:kBm1g.3550$B42.2232@dukeread05...

    Quoted message said:

    Think about it... drop a feather and a bowling ball at the same time.
    Which one hits the ground first?

    Depends on a planet - does it have an atmosphere or not? We don't know where
    stankurz and his friend are riding.

    And there's no discussion of relativistic effects, either.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  12. Werehatrack said:

    And there's no discussion of relativistic effects, either.

    Yes! The key question is not "who goes fastest?" but "who ages
    slowest?"

  13. "Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote: (clip) So, since you weigh more, you
    "fall" down the hills faster. Gosh, physics is easy to understand...
    (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Oy, do YOU have a wrong number!

  14. <[email hidden]> wrote: I am 220 +/- (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Need more information. Would that be single phase or three phase?

  15. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Tim McNamara said:

    In article <kBm1g.3550$B42.2232@dukeread05>,
    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am 220 +/- my friend is 150 +/-. He has a relatively new mirage
    grupo I have a mich-mach grupo but!!!?!: dura ace front and Phil
    rear hubs. When we coast downhill I usually beat him often by
    significant lengths. Is weight a factor [pace Issac]? I assume that
    it is the quality of the hubs that makes the difference. Thmx

    Uh... duh... Galileo did this little test a little while ago. He
    dropped weights from the Leaning Tower of Pepperoni Pizza and
    determined, since the heavier weight hit the ground first, that heavy
    things fall faster.

    Think about it... drop a feather and a bowling ball at the same time.
    Which one hits the ground first?

    How about in a vacuum?

    Tim, you misread Phil's article.

    --
    Michael Press

  16. "Michael Press" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Tim McNamara said:

    In article <kBm1g.3550$B42.2232@dukeread05>,
    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    > I am 220 +/- my friend is 150 +/-. He has a relatively new mirage
    > grupo I have a mich-mach grupo but!!!?!: dura ace front and Phil
    > rear hubs. When we coast downhill I usually beat him often by
    > significant lengths. Is weight a factor [pace Issac]? I assume
    > that
    > it is the quality of the hubs that makes the difference. Thmx

    Uh... duh... Galileo did this little test a little while ago. He
    dropped weights from the Leaning Tower of Pepperoni Pizza and
    determined, since the heavier weight hit the ground first, that
    heavy
    things fall faster.

    Think about it... drop a feather and a bowling ball at the same
    time.
    Which one hits the ground first?

    How about in a vacuum?

    Tim, you misread Phil's article.

    and so did I............. the Equivalence Principle says that
    gravitational mass is equal to inertial mass and that all objects fall
    at the same rate in a vacuum. According to GR, gravity is not a force
    but a distortion of space. The feeling of weighlessness during freefall
    is unique for an accelerating body i.e. any other acceleration is
    accompanied by a feeling of being pushed.

    Phil H

  17. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    email hidden said:

    I am 220 +/- my friend is 150 +/-. He has a relatively new mirage
    grupo
    I have a mich-mach grupo but!!!?!: dura ace front and Phil rear hubs.
    When we coast downhill I usually beat him often by significant
    lengths. Is weight a factor [pace Issac]? I assume that it is the
    quality of the hubs that makes the difference.
    Thmx

    Dear Stan,

    There's probably not enough difference in bearing drag
    between the two hubs to be measured by any readily available
    tools.

    You roll downhill faster than your friend because you weigh
    almost 50% more than he does, but your frontal area hasn't
    increased anywhere near 50%.

    Gravity is pulling you down 50% harder, but your wind drag
    doesn't hold you back that much--you have to go faster to
    generate enough wind drag to match gravity and stop
    accelerating.

    In a nutshell, volume and mass tend to increase with the
    cube of height, but surface area and wind drag tend to
    increase more slowly, with the square of height.

    Compare a cube 1x1x1 to a cube 2x2x2. The small cube has one
    square foot of frontal area to one cubic foot of volume,
    corresponding to a 1 to 1 ratio of wind drag to gravity. The
    large cube has only 4 square feet of frontal area to 8 cubic
    feet of volume, a 1 to 2 ratio of wind drag to gravity. The
    bigger cube has to go faster before its wind drag matches
    the pull of gravity.

    Online bicycle speed calculators show this sort of thing at
    work:

    http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

    Pick hands-on-drops, -7 for a decent downhill slope, 0
    cadence, 0 watts power, and whatever weights and heights you
    have in mind.

    For a 150-lb rider 67.7 inches tall, the calculator predicts
    a terminal velocity of 39.6 mph.

    For a 220-lb rider 72 inches tall, the calculator predicts a
    terminal velocity of 43.8 mph, 4.2 mph faster.

    Welcome back Carl!

    Phil H

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Phil Holman' piholmanc@yourservice said:

    "Michael Press" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Tim McNamara said:

    In article <kBm1g.3550$B42.2232@dukeread05>,
    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    > [email hidden] wrote:
    > > I am 220 +/- my friend is 150 +/-. He has a relatively new mirage
    > > grupo I have a mich-mach grupo but!!!?!: dura ace front and Phil
    > > rear hubs. When we coast downhill I usually beat him often by
    > > significant lengths. Is weight a factor [pace Issac]? I assume
    > > that
    > > it is the quality of the hubs that makes the difference. Thmx
    >
    > Uh... duh... Galileo did this little test a little while ago. He
    > dropped weights from the Leaning Tower of Pepperoni Pizza and
    > determined, since the heavier weight hit the ground first, that
    > heavy
    > things fall faster.
    >
    > Think about it... drop a feather and a bowling ball at the same
    > time.
    > Which one hits the ground first?

    How about in a vacuum?

    Tim, you misread Phil's article.

    and so did I............. the Equivalence Principle says that
    gravitational mass is equal to inertial mass and that all objects fall
    at the same rate in a vacuum. According to GR, gravity is not a force
    but a distortion of space. The feeling of weighlessness during freefall
    is unique for an accelerating body i.e. any other acceleration is
    accompanied by a feeling of being pushed.

    and from the heavier body's point of view it takes longer
    to reach the ground.

    The USA global positioning satellite system is based upon
    accurate clocks aboard orbiting satellites broadcasting
    their time and other information. When the system was
    designed they naturally built the Lorentz transformations
    into the satellite clocks and computers. One bright light
    said that they also needed to add in the variance of clock
    rate from the gravitational field differences between
    terra firma and the satellite altitude; but he was
    ignored. When the system was being tested they discovered
    systematic errors; eventually determined that the errors
    were from gravitational effects on the clocks that were
    tuned at sea level, but running at a few hundred
    kilometers altitude.

    --
    Michael Press

  19. "Michael Press" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Phil Holman' piholmanc@yourservice said:

    "Michael Press" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    Tim McNamara <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > In article <kBm1g.3550$B42.2232@dukeread05>,
    > "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email hidden]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > [email hidden] wrote:
    > > > I am 220 +/- my friend is 150 +/-. He has a relatively new
    > > > mirage
    > > > grupo I have a mich-mach grupo but!!!?!: dura ace front and
    > > > Phil
    > > > rear hubs. When we coast downhill I usually beat him often by
    > > > significant lengths. Is weight a factor [pace Issac]? I assume
    > > > that
    > > > it is the quality of the hubs that makes the difference. Thmx
    > >
    > > Uh... duh... Galileo did this little test a little while ago.
    > > He
    > > dropped weights from the Leaning Tower of Pepperoni Pizza and
    > > determined, since the heavier weight hit the ground first, that
    > > heavy
    > > things fall faster.
    > >
    > > Think about it... drop a feather and a bowling ball at the same
    > > time.
    > > Which one hits the ground first?
    >
    > How about in a vacuum?

    Tim, you misread Phil's article.

    and so did I............. the Equivalence Principle says that
    gravitational mass is equal to inertial mass and that all objects
    fall
    at the same rate in a vacuum. According to GR, gravity is not a force
    but a distortion of space. The feeling of weighlessness during
    freefall
    is unique for an accelerating body i.e. any other acceleration is
    accompanied by a feeling of being pushed.

    and from the heavier body's point of view it takes longer
    to reach the ground.

    The USA global positioning satellite system is based upon
    accurate clocks aboard orbiting satellites broadcasting
    their time and other information. When the system was
    designed they naturally built the Lorentz transformations
    into the satellite clocks and computers. One bright light
    said that they also needed to add in the variance of clock
    rate from the gravitational field differences between
    terra firma and the satellite altitude; but he was
    ignored. When the system was being tested they discovered
    systematic errors; eventually determined that the errors
    were from gravitational effects on the clocks that were
    tuned at sea level, but running at a few hundred
    kilometers altitude.

    Does this explain the orbital precession of Mercury and FermiLab's
    particle beams?

    Phil H

  20. In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    "Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    Does this explain the orbital precession of Mercury and FermiLab's
    particle beams?

    The General Theory of Relativity does account for the
    value of the precession of the perihelion of Mercury where
    the inverse square law of gravitation does not. Precession
    of perihelion of a planet is
    6 * PI * k^2 * m^2 / h^2
    where
    k is the gravitational constant
    m is the mass of the planet
    h is the angular momentum of the planet.
    43" per century for Mercury.

    I do not know anything about FermiLab particle beam
    precession.

    --
    Michael Press

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.