General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Is the Polar S210 good for a beginner?

Started by NewsBirdie · · Last activity · 11 posts · 386 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 August 2004
Last activity
17 August 2004
Original author
NewsBirdie
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
386
Views / 30 days
6
Topics
FTP

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've studied the Polar watches and they only have a few models on
    their website, I don't see all the models people talk about. For
    running there are only 3, and the Polar S210 is the middle one. Seems
    to be good for me. Not much more expensive than the S120. Is this a
    good watch for a beginner?

    Thanks

  2. "NewsBirdie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is this a good watch for a beginner?

    It's OK, though I'd buy the base model that merely displayed HR until I knew
    what I was doing. Then I'd donate it to a local youth running group and buy
    a nice complex one that I could play with for hours.

    And, by golly, that's what I did!

  3. Quoted message said:

    Then I'd donate it to a local youth running group

    Anything you can do to get near young ones eh Roger?

  4. NewsBirdie said:

    I've studied the Polar watches and they only have a few models on
    their website, I don't see all the models people talk about. For
    running there are only 3, and the Polar S210 is the middle one. Seems
    to be good for me. Not much more expensive than the S120. Is this a
    good watch for a beginner?

    Thanks

    http://www.polarusa.com/consumer/productfinder/productfinder.asp

    Hmm, it lists S120 as $120, S210 as $200, and S410 as $230, and a ton of
    other models.

    http://www.polar4less.com/heart_rate_monitors.htm
    has cheaper prices with S120 $90, S210 $137, and S410 $165
    (I've not dealt with this company and have NFI in either)

    Short version:
    If you just want something to start with, the more basic model like the
    S120 (and they have some lower cost models but not familiar with that
    series) would probably be fine. If you even think you want to download
    stuff, I'd get the 410 rather than the 210 for the extra $30. The 210 is
    a fair amt more than the 120 in these lists, and if you're going to
    spend that much money, I'd get the download capabilities. Just my $.02.

    Long version:
    What you get depends on how you want to use it, in particular if you
    want to download your data to a computer - or if you even need a hrm
    (can take pulse manually or run by feel or breathing effort). If you're
    not sure, then you might start out with a low-end model and after you
    get a better feeling for what you want to do (type of running, duration
    of runs, frequency of recording, multisport, etc), get something better.

    If you know you definitely want to download stuff, I think the S410 is
    the lowend, but has some limitations (single exercise set, frequency of
    recording decreases with longer workouts). I'm a beginner and have used
    an S410 for about 3 years, but have been planning on upgrading for at
    least a year (waiting for batteries to die, which they did recently)
    because of some of its limitations (some of which are artifact of early
    version, but some of which are inherent in it). I got it thinking it was
    the upper end of what I'd be interested in. Wrong. My interests expanded
    substantially about 6 months after I started using it. But I don't look
    at it much while running (go by feel now) and depend heavily on the
    download capability - but that's me, what I like, and my personality.

    In contrast, the runners in my cross-training class (mostly much more
    experienced) couldn't understand why anyone would want to download data
    or even if it was worthwhile to get a hrm. YMMV.

    Dot
    waiting for S625x to upgrade

  5. Dot said:

    If you know you definitely want to download stuff, I think the S410 is
    the lowend, but has some limitations (single exercise set, frequency of
    recording decreases with longer workouts).

    Also uses sonic link rather than infrared port for transfer and probably
    a couple other things I didn't care for but can't remember at the
    moment. I think the 610 gets rid of those issues.

  6. (NewsBirdie) said:

    I've studied the Polar watches and they only have a few models on
    their website, I don't see all the models people talk about. For
    running there are only 3, and the Polar S210 is the middle one. Seems
    to be good for me. Not much more expensive than the S120. Is this a
    good watch for a beginner?

    Here's a nice comparison tool to help you sort things out:
    http://tinyurl.com/4nqxj

    They list these models as being for running:

    S120 $90
    S210 $137
    S410 $165
    S610i $189
    S810i $291
    S625X $???

    I have the S610i, which I purchased from Polar4Less.com at a substantial
    savings. I've listed their prices above. The 610 has infrared data
    communication. The 410 uses a sonic link. I've found infrared
    communication to be flawless. Since I have an infrared port on my laptop,
    it is very convinenient to transmit the data from the watch to the laptop
    using the software application. You can also download data to the watch.
    This makes it easy (using the Polar Precision Performance software) to
    create your exercises, HR zones, etc., then download it to your watch.
    The 610 and the 410 come with the Polar software. The 610i can store up
    to 99 exercise files. Since I pull the data frequently, I never even get
    close to using up the memory on the watch. The 410 and the 210 can store
    1 exercise file. There are a few other differences, but they aren't that
    important.

    As Dot has already mentioned, it really depends on what you want to do
    with it. Are you really in to analyzing your exercise data? If so, you
    have to at least go with the 410 (or the 610 for $25 more) for uploading
    and software included. Since you are just starting out and just want
    something to measure your HR and motivate you, then maybe the 120 is good
    enough. That way you won't be spending too much money, and can justify
    getting a better one, once you realize what you actually want or need. Or
    you may realize that you don't need an HRM at all. So at least you won't
    have wasted too much money in the process.

    Phil M.

  7. Dot dot.h@#duh?att.net said:
    NewsBirdie said:

    I've studied the Polar watches and they only have a few models on
    their website, I don't see all the models people talk about. For
    running there are only 3, and the Polar S210 is the middle one. Seems
    to be good for me. Not much more expensive than the S120. Is this a
    good watch for a beginner?

    Thanks

    http://www.polarusa.com/consumer/productfinder/productfinder.asp

    Hmm, it lists S120 as $120, S210 as $200, and S410 as $230, and a ton


    of

    Quoted message said:

    other models.

    http://www.polar4less.com/heart_rate_monitors.htm
    has cheaper prices with S120 $90, S210 $137, and S410 $165
    (I've not dealt with this company and have NFI in either)

    I purchased the S610i from them. Great price, quick delivery, no
    problems.

    Quoted message said:

    If you know you definitely want to download stuff, I think the S410 is
    the lowend, but has some limitations (single exercise set, frequency of
    recording decreases with longer workouts).

    That's one reason why I got the S610. The 2-way infrared communication
    works great. I like being able to setup my exercises on the laptop and
    upload them to the watch. I've never really made use of the 99 file
    limit, since I'm always pulling the data off the watch.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm a beginner and have used an S410 for about 3 years

    You can stop calling yourself a beginner now.

    Quoted message said:

    Dot waiting for S625x to upgrade

    I'm on a spouse-mandated spending freeze on running paraphernalia.
    Hopefully the freeze will be lifted when the S625x comes out. ;-)

    Phil M.

  8. Phil M. said:

    They list these models as being for running:

    S120 $90
    S210 $137
    S410 $165
    S610i $189

    At that price difference, I wouldn't even consider the 410. Advantages
    of 610 are worth waaay more than $24 IMHO.

    Quoted message said:

    S810i $291
    S625X $???

    $234 according to
    http://www.polar4less.com/heart_rate_monitors.htm

    Dot

  9. Phil M. said:

    Dot <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote:

    I've never really made use of the 99 file
    limit, since I'm always pulling the data off the watch.

    I've wanted it for different phases of a workout. I sometimes bike and
    run in one workout. Our xt class has a "warmup" (yea, right, I end up
    well above LT, sometimes above 95% of my estimated max hr), stretch
    (don't need data), then a circuit of some sort which I'd like to record
    separately from the warmup.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm a beginner and have used an S410 for about 3 years

    You can stop calling yourself a beginner now.

    Thanks 😉, *but* I've only done one normal running race (no multisport,
    no snowshoes) - although I've had a bunch of fun / challenge training
    for races that got cancelled or just plain creating my own goals and
    working toward them. In my mind, I'm always beginning to learn -
    hopefully, until the day I die.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Dot waiting for S625x to upgrade

    I'm on a spouse-mandated spending freeze on running paraphernalia.
    Hopefully the freeze will be lifted when the S625x comes out. ;-)

    LOL. Didn't you just get your 610? She may be justified 😉

    My 4.5 yr old computer started heading south about a month ago, and I
    decided buying a new one was easier / cheaper than figuring out problems
    with old one. So getting the new one configured plus some field trips
    and other hassles have kept me from thinking about 625 too much.

    BTW, I did see your pic of Hard Rock and was going to post a couple pics
    for comparison, but haven't had time to sort pics or get FTP setup on
    new machine. After I got the new machine, then I remembered why I'd been
    avoiding getting a new machine for so long.

    Dot

  10. Quoted message said:

    I've studied the Polar watches and they only have a few models on
    their website, I don't see all the models people talk about. For
    running there are only 3, and the Polar S210 is the middle one. Seems
    to be good for me. Not much more expensive than the S120. Is this a
    good watch for a beginner?

    I ordered the S210. I ruled out the S410 because of the soniclink
    problems. The S610i requires irda which I don't have, and is another
    $40. So the S210 is $100 cheaper than the S610i, which I don't really
    need anyway.

    I can't wait to get it and try it out. Thanks everyone for your help.
    I'm glad I followed the advice here. Especially by going with the
    Polar instead of the Nike Triax C6. Only $30 difference in price and
    the Polar is much better.

    -Michael

  11. Dot said:
    NewsBirdie said:

    I've studied the Polar watches and they only have a few models on
    their website, I don't see all the models people talk about. For
    running there are only 3, and the Polar S210 is the middle one. Seems
    to be good for me. Not much more expensive than the S120. Is this a
    good watch for a beginner?

    Thanks

    For truly "recreational" running, almost any HRM is good enough.
    You might get a little more fun from playing with the features
    on a higher-end model. But none of those features have much to
    do with just running for recreation. They have a lot to do with
    training for competition.

    For myself, I chose the S210 over the S1xx models, mainly
    because I prefer the black over the yellow colors. Any of them
    will show the heart rate and elapsed time on one screen, and
    will make noise when the heart rate is out of your preset range.

    Steve

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.