Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Is the Campy Chorus freehub body serviceable?

Started by bfd · · Last activity · 7 posts · 571 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
14 July 2004
Last activity
15 July 2004
Original author
bfd
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
571
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a 2000 Campy Chorus rear hub on one of my rear wheels. I
    noticed that the Record rear hub has a small hole on the freehub body
    to inject grease into the freehub, see Figure 5, B, on page 16 of
    Campy instructions here:

    http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/178-FI%20Mozzi%20Post%202000.pdf

    The instructions further states "For hubs not equipped with
    lubrication holes, lubricate the ball bearings and refit the hub as
    described on page 19."

    My Chorus hub does not have either of these lubrication holes. Is
    there any other way to lubricate or grease the freehub body or are
    they basically "sealed"? Thanks, Brewster

  2. It's fairly easy to dis-assemble, clean/grease and re-assemble.
    About 20-30 minutes if you've done hubs before.

    The grease port has come and gone over the years, I've actally got a
    pre-2000 set of Chorus hubs that have it, and a post-2000 set that don't.

    -pete

    "bfd" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a 2000 Campy Chorus rear hub on one of my rear wheels. I
    noticed that the Record rear hub has a small hole on the freehub body
    to inject grease into the freehub, see Figure 5, B, on page 16 of
    Campy instructions here:

    http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/178-FI%20Mozzi%20Post%202000.pdf

    The instructions further states "For hubs not equipped with
    lubrication holes, lubricate the ball bearings and refit the hub as
    described on page 19."

    My Chorus hub does not have either of these lubrication holes. Is
    there any other way to lubricate or grease the freehub body or are
    they basically "sealed"? Thanks, Brewster

  3. Pete Grey said:

    It's fairly easy to dis-assemble, clean/grease and re-assemble.
    About 20-30 minutes if you've done hubs before.

    The grease port has come and gone over the years, I've actally got a
    pre-2000 set of Chorus hubs that have it, and a post-2000 set that
    don't.

    Brewster is asking specifically about the freehub body aka freewheel body,
    not the main hub bearings.

    I don't think the Chorus one is serviceable.

    ~PB

  4. "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pete Grey said:

    It's fairly easy to dis-assemble, clean/grease and re-assemble.
    About 20-30 minutes if you've done hubs before.

    The grease port has come and gone over the years, I've actally got a
    pre-2000 set of Chorus hubs that have it, and a post-2000 set that
    don't.

    Brewster is asking specifically about the freehub body aka freewheel body,
    not the main hub bearings.

    I don't think the Chorus one is serviceable.


    That's correct, I'm asking about the Freehub BODY. I have greased the
    bearings. I agree that the Freehub BODY doesn't appear to be serviceable.
    Thanks, Brewster

  5. "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pete Grey said:

    It's fairly easy to dis-assemble, clean/grease and re-assemble.
    About 20-30 minutes if you've done hubs before.

    The grease port has come and gone over the years, I've actally got a
    pre-2000 set of Chorus hubs that have it, and a post-2000 set that
    don't.

    Brewster is asking specifically about the freehub body aka freewheel body,
    not the main hub bearings.

    I don't think the Chorus one is serviceable.


    That's correct, I'm asking about the Freehub BODY. I have greased the
    bearings. I agree that the Freehub BODY doesn't appear to be serviceable.
    Thanks, Brewster

  6. bfd-<< I have a 2000 Campy Chorus rear hub on one of my rear wheels. I
    noticed that the Record rear hub has a small hole on the freehub body
    to inject grease into the freehub, >><BR><BR>

    Correct-

    << My Chorus hub does not have either of these lubrication holes. Is
    there any other way to lubricate or grease the freehub body or are
    they basically "sealed" >><BR><BR>

    Take the freehub body off the axle. The end nut is 17mm and left threaded or
    righty-loosey. Take it off(the end of the axle is for a 5mm allen, to hold the
    axle secure), pull the freehub body off. Tap out the upper bearing, load with
    grasso-bearing back in.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  7. [email hidden] (bfd) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a 2000 Campy Chorus rear hub on one of my rear wheels. I
    noticed that the Record rear hub has a small hole on the freehub body
    to inject grease into the freehub, see Figure 5, B, on page 16 of
    Campy instructions here:

    http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/178-FI%20Mozzi%20Post%202000.pdf

    The instructions further states "For hubs not equipped with
    lubrication holes, lubricate the ball bearings and refit the hub as
    described on page 19."

    My Chorus hub does not have either of these lubrication holes. Is
    there any other way to lubricate or grease the freehub body or are
    they basically "sealed"? Thanks, Brewster

    Don't be such a cheapskate. Buy a new bicycle.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.