General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Is it true?

Started by mike · · Last activity · 21 posts · 1,747 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 May 2006
Last activity
30 May 2006
Original author
mike
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,747
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–21 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. JMW said:
    DZ said:
    JMW said:

    DZ wrote:
    >You're right. I mistook REE/FFM as to mean REE/LBM. Also, the
    >correlation in the graph doesn't seem to hold within genders, so I'm
    >no longer sure what to make of that graph.

    No, it makes perfect sense. Women have a higher REE/FFM because a
    much higher percentage of their FFM is organs, as opposed to skeletal
    muscle. The men will still have a higher total REE.

    Your explanation is consistent with the graph but it doesn't rule out
    a gender-specific relation. In that case we have two round circles of
    dots within sexes (zero correlation) and the overall correlation can
    be spurious due to some other differences between the sexes (I'd
    rather see ellipses formed by the dots of the same color).

    Well, the following article might develop my theory a bit further,
    since it examines gender differences as well as racial differences:
    http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/83/5/1062

    I assume it has some conclusions regarding both dichotomies


    ....

    There isn't much more on that than what's in the abstract. Sex and
    race correlate with REE and when the ratio of muscle mass to the mass
    of highly metabolically active organs is taken into account, the
    difference in REE between the groups becomes no longer significant. I
    think the reality of such research is that there is always a
    confounding variable unaccounted for. We should take care of the
    obvious ones and hope that what remains has a small effect. That's why
    I'd rather see a relation within homogeneous groups. However, I don't
    disagree with you that when REE is measured for all metabolically
    active organs, a most reasonable explanation of the decrease in REE
    with the additional muscle mass is a change in proportion of that mass
    to the total (so the part that consists of more metabolically active
    organs becomes smaller in proportion).

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.