I am from the UK, so I don't know what a Taco is. But, it seems very
similar to a Greek Donner Kebab.
Are they basically the same?
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
I am from the UK, so I don't know what a Taco is. But, it seems very
similar to a Greek Donner Kebab.
Are they basically the same?
"Lee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:I am from the UK, so I don't know what a Taco is. But, it seems very
similar to a Greek Donner Kebab.Are they basically the same?
Nope.
Go here:
http://images.google.com/images?q=taco&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images
Dimitri
Lee said:I am from the UK, so I don't know what a Taco is. But, it seems very
similar to a Greek Donner Kebab.Are they basically the same?
I don't know what a Greek Donner Kebab is, but I have to admit that it
floors me that someone wouldn't know what a taco is.
Of course the local schools here are 40% hispanic and the "roach coach"
shows up outside the production building everyday at lunch time.
Hell, if you know the right people in the production building you can
get FAT home-made breakfast burritos on fresh homemade that morning
tortillas for $1 a piece at first break, and every other Friday there
are home made tamales to be had for $6/doz.
Ryan
Lee said:I am from the UK, so I don't know what a Taco is. But, it seems very
similar to a Greek Donner Kebab.
Not likely. Most tacos are made with meats other than human flesh.
nb
Tacos are deep fried corn tortillas that you warm and then fill with
lettuce, spiced mince, cheese and salsa.
Tesco's sell El Paso kits which aren't bad, probably not that authentic
though
Steve
(An Ex-pat Brit that was introduced to Tacos here in France)
Lee said:I am from the UK, so I don't know what a Taco is. But, it seems very
similar to a Greek Donner Kebab.Are they basically the same?
Look the same to me. Go here:
Greek Doner Kebab
http://tinypic.com/e9uk9x.jpg
American Taco
http://tinypic.com/e9uk21.jpg
"Dimitri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Nope.Go here:
http://images.google.com/images?q=taco&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images
Dimitri
Lee said:I am from the UK, so I don't know what a Taco is. But, it seems very
similar to a Greek Donner Kebab.Are they basically the same?
Yes and no. They are both meat concoctions served in a folded flour based
wrapper with cheese, meat, tomato and onion. A donner is made with a
pita bread, stiffed with a meat concoction made of lamb and/or beef with
various spices, onion, tomato, a yoghurt sauce and feta cheese. A taco
is made with a hard corn based tortilla. The meat is usually ground meat
with spices similar to those in a donner. The cheese is usually something
like Monterey Jack and the sauce is a spicy tomato and chilli salsa type.
notbob said:Lee said:I am from the UK, so I don't know what a Taco is. But, it seems very
similar to a Greek Donner Kebab.Not likely. Most tacos are made with meats other than human flesh.
nb
There's a pic of it and no human flesh mentioned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%B6ner_Kebab
Steve Y said:Tacos are deep fried corn tortillas that you warm and then fill with
lettuce, spiced mince, cheese and salsa.Tesco's sell El Paso kits which aren't bad, probably not that authentic
thoughSteve
(An Ex-pat Brit that was introduced to Tacos here in France)
Steve they also serve them in uncooked or soft tortilla shells.
Lee said:Look the same to me. Go here:
Greek Doner Kebab
http://tinypic.com/e9uk9x.jpgAmerican Taco
http://tinypic.com/e9uk21.jpg
Not really, the kebab has slices of tomatoes, the meat is sliced not
ground, and I don't see any cheese. The kebab is served in pocket bread
not a hard shell like tacos. Check this website and you will see other
differences http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%B6ner_Kebab The kebab
does look good though.
"Ryan Case" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Lee said:I am from the UK, so I don't know what a Taco is. But, it seems very
similar to a Greek Donner Kebab.Are they basically the same?
I don't know what a Greek Donner Kebab is, but I have to admit that it
floors me that someone wouldn't know what a taco is.
I don't know what it is either🙂
Ophelia
Scotland
One time on Usenet said:"Dimitri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Nope.Go here:
http://images.google.com/images?q=taco&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images
Quoted message said:Look the same to me. Go here:
Greek Doner Kebab
http://tinypic.com/e9uk9x.jpgAmerican Taco
http://tinypic.com/e9uk21.jpg
Your photos may look similar, but that's all. Here's a more
accurate image, IMO:
www.kebab.lt/images/donner_k.jpg
It's true that both contain meat and veggies, but tacos are made
from a ground corn tortilla, deep fried, not a bread wrap or pita.
Traditional tacos are stuffed with ground or chipped beef (sometimes
chicken) which has been heavily seasoned with cumin, chili powder,
garlic, etc. In Greek Doner Kebabs (aka "gyros"😉 the meat used is
strips of either lamb, beef, pork or chicken, which has been cooked
in a rotisserie. Tacos are filled with lettuce, tomato, and cheddar
cheese, while gyros can contain many different toppings like onion,
tomato, cucumber, or dried hot pepper. In Thessaloniki, a gyro "with
everything" includes tomato, onion, ketchup, mustard, and french fries
in addition to the meat. Nope, nothing like a taco...
--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollup, novice cook ~
Lee said:Look the same to me. Go here:
Greek Doner Kebab
http://tinypic.com/e9uk9x.jpgAmerican Taco
http://tinypic.com/e9uk21.jpg
Same idea, totally different result; sort of like saying a gurney and a
shopping cart are the same thing because they both carry meat.
A taco shell could never be mistaken for a pita; except to a blind person
whose tastebuds were shot. Of course, the texture is different too.
The spices are quite different and probably the meat too. I have never had
greek kabob made of beef or pork; nor have I had a lamb taco.
--
"Better Things for Better Living … Through Chemistry." - DuPont, or was it
Timothy Leary?
One time on Usenet said:Steve Y said:Tacos are deep fried corn tortillas that you warm and then fill with
lettuce, spiced mince, cheese and salsa.Tesco's sell El Paso kits which aren't bad, probably not that authentic
thoughSteve
(An Ex-pat Brit that was introduced to Tacos here in France)Steve they also serve them in uncooked or soft tortilla shells.
Aren't soft tacos are usually made with flour tortillas...?
--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollup, novice cook ~
Dave Smith said:Lee said:I am from the UK, so I don't know what a Taco is. But, it seems very
similar to a Greek Donner Kebab.Are they basically the same?
Yes and no. They are both meat concoctions served in a folded flour based
wrapper with cheese, meat, tomato and onion. A donner is made with a
pita bread, stiffed with a meat concoction made of lamb and/or beef with
various spices, onion, tomato, a yoghurt sauce and feta cheese. A taco
is made with a hard corn based tortilla. The meat is usually ground meat
with spices similar to those in a donner. The cheese is usually something
like Monterey Jack and the sauce is a spicy tomato and chilli salsa type.
An in parts, fish or organ meat may also be used a taco fillings.
"Lee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Look the same to me. Go here:
No need - If by the same you mean both are folded and filled with something -
you're correct. That is where the similarity ends.
Dimitri
In article <[email hidden]>,
~patches~ said:Not really, the kebab has slices of tomatoes, the meat is sliced not
ground, and I don't see any cheese. The kebab is served in pocket bread
not a hard shell like tacos. Check this website and you will see other
differences http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%B6ner_Kebab The kebab
does look good though.
I would guess that about half of my neighborhood is Hispanic. There are
a lot of Mexican restaurants in town. Although places far from Mexico
sell tacos with hard shells, ground meat, tomatoes, lettuce and cheese;
I understand that hard shells and ground meat are rare for tacos in
Mexico. When we go to local Mexican restaurants, those tacos are called
"American style". Mexicano style tacos have two soft corn tortillas,
meat, chopped onions, cilantro and salsa. There are often two kinds of
beef (carne asada and machaca), two kinds of pork (al pastor and
carnitas), two kinds of chicken (shredded and grilled), along with
brains and tongue. Many of the Hispanic customers at local Mexican
restaurants don't order tacos at all. They order a plate of meat, which
comes with various sides, including a choice of wheat or corn soft
tortillas. They make their own "tacos" at the table, either folding or
rolling them, and adding whatever they want.
Being gringos, when we make tacos at home we use hamburger and hard
shells.
"Dan Abel" <[email hidden]> wrote
Quoted message said:restaurants don't order tacos at all. They order a plate of meat, which
comes with various sides, including a choice of wheat or corn soft
tortillas. They make their own "tacos" at the table, either folding or
rolling them, and adding whatever they want.
That's what I call fajitas, I order them whenever I see them.
Beef or chicken (or shrimp, usually), or a combination; marinated
strips of meat, grilled and served with sauteed green pepper and
onions, top with sour cream, guacamole (with any luck), salsa and
cheese. Assemble them with the warm flour tortillas. My fave.
nancy
Ryan Case said:Lee said:I am from the UK, so I don't know what a Taco is. But, it seems very
similar to a Greek Donner Kebab.Are they basically the same?
I think the OP is a troll - or a shut - in.. Tex - Mex food is *widely*
available now in the UK, both in restos and and in supermarkets.
Doner kebabs have been a fast food staple in Germany for at least 40 years
now (ranking with the curry wurst in popularity).
In any case both items are widely known.
--
Best
Greg
~patches~ said:Lee said:Look the same to me. Go here:
Greek Doner Kebab
http://tinypic.com/e9uk9x.jpgAmerican Taco
http://tinypic.com/e9uk21.jpgNot really, the kebab has slices of tomatoes, the meat is sliced not
ground, and I don't see any cheese. The kebab is served in pocket bread
not a hard shell like tacos. Check this website and you will see other
differences http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%B6ner_Kebab The kebab
does look good though.
At Mexican (not Tex-Mex) restaurants here in Chiacgo, the only meat I
commonly see ground/minced in tacos is beef. Pork is usually sliced
from a vertical rotisserie [one brand name is Autodonair :-)]. Chicken
is usually shredded. Tongue is usually chopped into small pieces (still
larger than a coarse grind). So are brains (but they are no longer
available. Picture the girl taking my ordcer telling me "we dont have
any brains."😉 Cheese is not commonly put on tacos. Neither is lettuce.
Chopped white onions and cilantro are. Soft corn tortillas are used for
the wrapper.
-bwg
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.