Road Cycling · Public discussion

Inexpensive Chain lube/cleaner?

Started by chrisc · · Last activity · 37 posts · 1,355 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
25 July 2005
Last activity
26 July 2005
Original author
chrisc
Posts
37
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,355
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 37
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The Finish line stuff can be expensive using it every week. What are some
    good alternatives. How about the white lightning ? Nashbar brand degreaser?
    Thanks

  2. chrisc said:

    What are some
    good alternatives

    Toothbrush, Simple Green, garden hose. Do it outside. Messy, but very
    effective.

    Lube is your choice. I used cheap generic teflon dry lube, but somebody
    will be sure to point out its horrors in a subsequent post. :P

  3. chrisc said:

    What are some
    good alternatives

    Toothbrush, Simple Green, garden hose. Do it outside. Messy, but very
    effective.

    Lube is your choice. I used cheap generic teflon dry lube, but somebody
    will be sure to point out its horrors in a subsequent post. :P

  4. chrisc said:

    What are some
    good alternatives

    Toothbrush, Simple Green, garden hose. Do it outside. Messy, but very
    effective.

    Lube is your choice. I used cheap generic teflon dry lube, but somebody
    will be sure to point out its horrors in a subsequent post. :P

  5. chrisc said:

    The Finish line stuff can be expensive using it every week. What are some
    good alternatives. How about the white lightning ? Nashbar brand degreaser?
    Thanks

    You may want to search r.b.m /and/ r.b.t. for chain cleaning, chain
    lubrication, chain lubes, etc. Lots of good information lies within.

    Good luck!

  6. chrisc said:

    The Finish line stuff can be expensive using it every week. What are some
    good alternatives. How about the white lightning ? Nashbar brand degreaser?
    Thanks

    You may want to search r.b.m /and/ r.b.t. for chain cleaning, chain
    lubrication, chain lubes, etc. Lots of good information lies within.

    Good luck!

  7. chrisc said:

    The Finish line stuff can be expensive using it every week. What are some
    good alternatives. How about the white lightning ? Nashbar brand degreaser?
    Thanks

    You may want to search r.b.m /and/ r.b.t. for chain cleaning, chain
    lubrication, chain lubes, etc. Lots of good information lies within.

    Good luck!

  8. I use Simple Green and White Lightning. I just tried the White
    Lightning stuff this year (Nashbar sale) and it seems to work as
    advertised -- no squeakies for weeks at a time. Dunno if that's the
    chemistry or the technique they recommend (lube twice, leave overnight
    between applications).

    Also, I've had good luck with a nylon-bristle pots/pans brush (as
    opposed to a toothbrush) for scrubbing parts. The longer bristles seem
    to get into the hard-to-reach places better than a toothbrush.

    -JR

  9. I use Simple Green and White Lightning. I just tried the White
    Lightning stuff this year (Nashbar sale) and it seems to work as
    advertised -- no squeakies for weeks at a time. Dunno if that's the
    chemistry or the technique they recommend (lube twice, leave overnight
    between applications).

    Also, I've had good luck with a nylon-bristle pots/pans brush (as
    opposed to a toothbrush) for scrubbing parts. The longer bristles seem
    to get into the hard-to-reach places better than a toothbrush.

    -JR

  10. I use Simple Green and White Lightning. I just tried the White
    Lightning stuff this year (Nashbar sale) and it seems to work as
    advertised -- no squeakies for weeks at a time. Dunno if that's the
    chemistry or the technique they recommend (lube twice, leave overnight
    between applications).

    Also, I've had good luck with a nylon-bristle pots/pans brush (as
    opposed to a toothbrush) for scrubbing parts. The longer bristles seem
    to get into the hard-to-reach places better than a toothbrush.

    -JR

  11. I submit that on or about Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:42:51 GMT, the person
    known to the court as "chrisc" <[email hidden]> made a
    statement (<[email hidden]> in Your Honour's bundle)
    to the following effect:

    Quoted message said:

    The Finish line stuff can be expensive using it every week. What are some
    good alternatives. How about the white lightning ? Nashbar brand degreaser?

    Chainsaw oil is good. For cleaning, turpentine substitute or
    kerosene, but make sure the chain is properly flushed through and
    dried before applying oil.

    The recommended technique is to use three chains, one in the cleaning
    bath, one soaking in oil and one on the bike :-)

    For cleaning, the Sheldon Shake is very much the most effective
    technique. Although kerosene etc. is effective, citrus degreaser
    (which I think you an get in gallons if you know where to look) does
    seem to me to be better. But I have no actual evidence for that.
    Remember that bike-shop people have to cost their time, so if it takes
    a day for kerosene to dry out they won't be using it, whereas you or I
    probably don't care that much.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  12. I submit that on or about Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:42:51 GMT, the person
    known to the court as "chrisc" <[email hidden]> made a
    statement (<[email hidden]> in Your Honour's bundle)
    to the following effect:

    Quoted message said:

    The Finish line stuff can be expensive using it every week. What are some
    good alternatives. How about the white lightning ? Nashbar brand degreaser?

    Chainsaw oil is good. For cleaning, turpentine substitute or
    kerosene, but make sure the chain is properly flushed through and
    dried before applying oil.

    The recommended technique is to use three chains, one in the cleaning
    bath, one soaking in oil and one on the bike :-)

    For cleaning, the Sheldon Shake is very much the most effective
    technique. Although kerosene etc. is effective, citrus degreaser
    (which I think you an get in gallons if you know where to look) does
    seem to me to be better. But I have no actual evidence for that.
    Remember that bike-shop people have to cost their time, so if it takes
    a day for kerosene to dry out they won't be using it, whereas you or I
    probably don't care that much.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  13. I submit that on or about Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:42:51 GMT, the person
    known to the court as "chrisc" <[email hidden]> made a
    statement (<[email hidden]> in Your Honour's bundle)
    to the following effect:

    Quoted message said:

    The Finish line stuff can be expensive using it every week. What are some
    good alternatives. How about the white lightning ? Nashbar brand degreaser?

    Chainsaw oil is good. For cleaning, turpentine substitute or
    kerosene, but make sure the chain is properly flushed through and
    dried before applying oil.

    The recommended technique is to use three chains, one in the cleaning
    bath, one soaking in oil and one on the bike :-)

    For cleaning, the Sheldon Shake is very much the most effective
    technique. Although kerosene etc. is effective, citrus degreaser
    (which I think you an get in gallons if you know where to look) does
    seem to me to be better. But I have no actual evidence for that.
    Remember that bike-shop people have to cost their time, so if it takes
    a day for kerosene to dry out they won't be using it, whereas you or I
    probably don't care that much.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  14. chrisc said:

    The Finish line stuff can be expensive using it every week. What are some
    good alternatives. How about the white lightning ? Nashbar brand degreaser?
    Thanks

    I think it's all the same. Just squirt some Pennzoil on it or something.

  15. chrisc said:

    The Finish line stuff can be expensive using it every week. What are some
    good alternatives. How about the white lightning ? Nashbar brand degreaser?
    Thanks

    I think it's all the same. Just squirt some Pennzoil on it or something.

  16. chrisc said:

    The Finish line stuff can be expensive using it every week. What are some
    good alternatives. How about the white lightning ? Nashbar brand degreaser?
    Thanks

    I think it's all the same. Just squirt some Pennzoil on it or something.

  17. chrisc said:

    The Finish line stuff can be expensive using it every week. What are some
    good alternatives. How about the white lightning ? Nashbar brand degreaser?
    Thanks

    I think it's all the same. Just squirt some Pennzoil on it or something.

  18. chrisc said:

    The Finish line stuff can be expensive using it every week. What are some
    good alternatives. How about the white lightning ? Nashbar brand degreaser?
    Thanks

    White Lightning doesn't last for more than a 50 mile dry ride. Just use
    any oil (motor oil if you can't afford $10/yr for bike lube). Don't
    bother degreasing, just wipe down occasionally & relube. Use cheap
    chains, buy a few when on sale, change them when they stretch to a pin
    diameter over a foot. Unless you're the type that cleans a bike with
    Q-tips, life's to short.

  19. chrisc said:

    The Finish line stuff can be expensive using it every week. What are some
    good alternatives. How about the white lightning ? Nashbar brand degreaser?
    Thanks

    White Lightning doesn't last for more than a 50 mile dry ride. Just use
    any oil (motor oil if you can't afford $10/yr for bike lube). Don't
    bother degreasing, just wipe down occasionally & relube. Use cheap
    chains, buy a few when on sale, change them when they stretch to a pin
    diameter over a foot. Unless you're the type that cleans a bike with
    Q-tips, life's to short.

  20. chrisc said:

    The Finish line stuff can be expensive using it every week. What are some
    good alternatives. How about the white lightning ? Nashbar brand degreaser?
    Thanks

    White Lightning doesn't last for more than a 50 mile dry ride. Just use
    any oil (motor oil if you can't afford $10/yr for bike lube). Don't
    bother degreasing, just wipe down occasionally & relube. Use cheap
    chains, buy a few when on sale, change them when they stretch to a pin
    diameter over a foot. Unless you're the type that cleans a bike with
    Q-tips, life's to short.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.