General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

In honor of Barb: MN Tend Commandments

Started by -L. · · Last activity · 13 posts · 314 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 March 2006
Last activity
17 March 2006
Original author
-L.
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
314
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ten Commandments: Minnesota style
    1. Ders only one God, ya know.
    2. Don't make dat fish on yer mantle an idol.
    3. Cussing ain't Minnesota nice.
    4. Go to church even when yer up `nort.
    5. Honor yer folks.
    6. Don't kill. Catch and release.
    7. Der is only one Lena for every Ole. No cheatin'.
    8. If it ain't yer lutefisk, don't take it.
    9. Don't be braggin' about how much snow ya can shovel.
    10. Keep yer mind offen yer neighbor's hot dish

    -L.
    (sent to me by my Minnesooootahn friends)

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    -L. said:

    Ten Commandments: Minnesota style


    (smartypants stuff snipped)

    Quoted message said:

    (sent to me by my Minnesooootahn friends)

    :-P
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 2-28-2006, Crazy Lady Party;
    Church review #7

  3. "-L." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ten Commandments: Minnesota style
    1. Ders only one God, ya know.
    2. Don't make dat fish on yer mantle an idol.
    3. Cussing ain't Minnesota nice.
    4. Go to church even when yer up `nort.
    5. Honor yer folks.
    6. Don't kill. Catch and release.
    7. Der is only one Lena for every Ole. No cheatin'.
    8. If it ain't yer lutefisk, don't take it.
    9. Don't be braggin' about how much snow ya can shovel.
    10. Keep yer mind offen yer neighbor's hot dish

    -L.
    (sent to me by my Minnesooootahn friends)
    ============

    Love it!!!
    --
    Syssi

  4. Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    -L. said:

    Ten Commandments: Minnesota style


    (smartypants stuff snipped)

    Quoted message said:

    (sent to me by my Minnesooootahn friends)

    :-P
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 2-28-2006, Crazy Lady Party;
    Church review #7

    Oh, c'mon...you didn't even like #10?!?
    -L.

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    -L. said:
    Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    -L. said:

    Ten Commandments: Minnesota style


    (smartypants stuff snipped)

    Quoted message said:

    (sent to me by my Minnesooootahn friends)

    :-P
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 2-28-2006, Crazy Lady Party;
    Church review #7

    Oh, c'mon...you didn't even like #10?!?
    -L.

    I'd like it more if it weren't written in a feeble dialect. :-)
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 2-28-2006, Crazy Lady Party;
    Church review #7

  6. Well, you know then, I sure don't talk like that and neirther does
    Barb.

    Lynn from Fargo (as in The Movie

    Personal friend of Kristin Rudrud - who played that Lundegard woman in
    the Movie, and even SHE doesn't talk like that off screen
    ;-)

  7. On 1 Mar 2006 10:18:42 -0800, in rec.food.cooking, "-L."
    <[email hidden]> hit the crackpipe and declared:

    Quoted message said:

    Ten Commandments: Minnesota style
    1. Ders only one God, ya know.
    2. Don't make dat fish on yer mantle an idol.
    3. Cussing ain't Minnesota nice.
    4. Go to church even when yer up `nort.
    5. Honor yer folks.
    6. Don't kill. Catch and release.
    7. Der is only one Lena for every Ole. No cheatin'.
    8. If it ain't yer lutefisk, don't take it.
    9. Don't be braggin' about how much snow ya can shovel.
    10. Keep yer mind offen yer neighbor's hot dish

    -L.
    (sent to me by my Minnesooootahn friends)

    Who wrote this, one of them Swedish meatballs from Brainerd?

  8. Lynn from Fargo said:

    Well, you know then, I sure don't talk like that and neirther does
    Barb.

    Lynn from Fargo (as in The Movie

    Personal friend of Kristin Rudrud - who played that Lundegard woman in
    the Movie, and even SHE doesn't talk like that off screen
    ;-)

    I know a [censored] of MNtans who *do* talk and act *exactly* like the
    people in Fargo. The stereotype exists for a reason...I stayed there
    long enough to pick up some of the affectations. Yah. Eh. I love
    Minnesota. 🙂

    -L.

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Lynn from Fargo said:

    Well, you know then, I sure don't talk like that and neirther does
    Barb.

    Lynn from Fargo (as in The Movie

    Personal friend of Kristin Rudrud - who played that Lundegard woman in
    the Movie, and even SHE doesn't talk like that off screen
    ;-)

    LOL! When the movie was first released, Chris (in AZ) reported: "God,
    Mom! Everybody down here thinks that everyone from Minnesota talks like
    that!! And you know what? <laughing> We DO!" Yeah, we have some
    strange speech patterns. "Want to come with?" We think that's the end
    of the sentence, our friends are waiting for the rest of it. You
    betcha. "-) I recommend the book, How To Talk Minnesotan: A Visitor's
    Guide, by Tom Mohr.
    --
    -Barb
    <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 2-28-2006, Crazy Lady Party;
    Church review #7

  10. "Melba's Jammin'" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    snip

    Quoted message said:


    LOL! When the movie was first released, Chris (in AZ) reported: "God,
    Mom! Everybody down here thinks that everyone from Minnesota talks like
    that!! And you know what? <laughing> We DO!" Yeah, we have some
    strange speech patterns. "Want to come with?" We think that's the end
    of the sentence, our friends are waiting for the rest of it. You
    betcha. "-) I recommend the book, How To Talk Minnesotan: A Visitor's
    Guide, by Tom Mohr.
    --
    -Barb


    Don't forget the Lawrence Welk accent. Don't be offended, Barb. When I
    lived in MN I was told by the natives that I had the worst Wisconsin accent.
    (En so?) LOL
    Janet

  11. Melba's Jammin said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Lynn from Fargo said:

    Well, you know then, I sure don't talk like that and neirther does
    Barb.

    Lynn from Fargo (as in The Movie

    Personal friend of Kristin Rudrud - who played that Lundegard woman in
    the Movie, and even SHE doesn't talk like that off screen
    ;-)

    LOL! When the movie was first released, Chris (in AZ) reported: "God,
    Mom! Everybody down here thinks that everyone from Minnesota talks like
    that!! And you know what? <laughing> We DO!" Yeah, we have some
    strange speech patterns. "Want to come with?" We think that's the end
    of the sentence, our friends are waiting for the rest of it. You
    betcha. "-) I recommend the book, How To Talk Minnesotan: A Visitor's
    Guide, by Tom Mohr.

    My mom lives on Mille Lacs and I swear, half the people I meet up there talk
    like this, luckily my mom hasn't picked it up.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  12. "pvc" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 1 Mar 2006 10:18:42 -0800, in rec.food.cooking, "-L."
    <[email hidden]> hit the crackpipe and declared:

    Quoted message said:

    Ten Commandments: Minnesota style
    1. Ders only one God, ya know.
    2. Don't make dat fish on yer mantle an idol.
    3. Cussing ain't Minnesota nice.
    4. Go to church even when yer up `nort.
    5. Honor yer folks.
    6. Don't kill. Catch and release.
    7. Der is only one Lena for every Ole. No cheatin'.
    8. If it ain't yer lutefisk, don't take it.
    9. Don't be braggin' about how much snow ya can shovel.
    10. Keep yer mind offen yer neighbor's hot dish

    -L.
    (sent to me by my Minnesooootahn friends)

    Who wrote this, one of them Swedish meatballs from Brainerd?

    Sounds more like Mike Ditka.

    kimberly

  13. -L. said:
    Lynn from Fargo said:

    Well, you know then, I sure don't talk like that and neirther does
    Barb.

    Lynn from Fargo (as in The Movie

    Personal friend of Kristin Rudrud - who played that Lundegard woman in
    the Movie, and even SHE doesn't talk like that off screen
    ;-)

    I know a [censored] of MNtans who *do* talk and act *exactly* like the
    people in Fargo. The stereotype exists for a reason...I stayed there
    long enough to pick up some of the affectations. Yah. Eh. I love
    Minnesota. 🙂

    Were you Up North? The farther north you go, the more you're likely
    to run into someone who talks like "Fargo" and "Drop Dead Gorgeous."

    I went to a fast food place a couple years ago. The girl at the
    counter had some strange accent that I couldn't place at first. Then
    it hit me.She spoke exactly like the actors in "Drop Dead Gorgeous."
    From that point on, I couldn't stop laughing. I'm sure she never
    suspected why I was physically incapable of telling her what I wanted
    to order.

    My daughter can mimic that accent perfectly. I have to beg her to
    stop so I won't wet my pants from laughing so hard.

    I say "yah" and "you betcha," but definitely not in that
    Scandinavian/American accent. Ask anyone who's met me or talked to me
    on the phone. Although I understand that we have our own version of a
    drawl. Minnesoooda and Faaargo come to mind.

    Then there is, "You betcha, by golly, ya shure." NO ONE says that, to
    the best of my knowledge. It's a joke phrase that is only used (I
    hope) in jest.

    BTW, you spelled Minnesoda wrong. <G>

    Carol

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.