Road Cycling · Public discussion

Improved muscular efficiency displayed as TdF champion matures

Started by Robert Chung · · Last activity · 20 posts · 754 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
22 March 2005
Last activity
26 March 2005
Original author
Robert Chung
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
754
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. 17 March 2005 issue of Journal of Applied Physiology:

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstract&db=PubMed&list_uids=15774697

  2. "It is hypothesized that the improved muscular efficiency probably reflects changes in muscle myosin type
    stimulated from years of training intensely for 3-6 h on most days."

    Who else thinks this sounds funny ?

  3. Van Hoorebeeck Bart said:

    "It is hypothesized that the improved muscular efficiency probably
    reflects changes in muscle myosin type stimulated from years of
    training intensely for 3-6 h on most days."

    Who else thinks this sounds funny ?

    Me and Greg Lemond.

  4. Robert Chung schreef:

    Quoted message said:

    Me and Greg Lemond.

    But seriously. Is that cautious hypothesis really the point of that
    study?
    I mean, even the man himself has said that before ("I'm on my bike!"😉.
    Didn't need rocket science to bring that forward.

    There are some other guys who ride 3-6 hours every day, so it shouldn't
    be hard to validate/ falsify it ?

  5. Van Hoorebeeck Bart said:

    Robert Chung schreef:

    Quoted message said:

    Me and Greg Lemond.

    But seriously. Is that cautious hypothesis really the point of that
    study?

    Nope. The purpose of the study was just to describe changes in efficiency
    over time, not to explain why it happened: for that you'd need other tests
    (like muscle biopsies) and they weren't done. The study only looks at five
    data points where Coyle had Armstrong in the lab between 1992 and 1999.
    Three of the five were not in-season; one was 8 months post-chemotherapy
    during the period where he wasn't racing. The single in-season lab test
    was in September 1993 when Armstrong was 22.

  6. Robert Chung said:
    Van Hoorebeeck Bart said:

    "It is hypothesized that the improved muscular efficiency probably
    reflects changes in muscle myosin type stimulated from years of
    training intensely for 3-6 h on most days."

    Who else thinks this sounds funny ?

    Me and Greg Lemond.

    Hmmm. The same thing struck me. Maybe Andy Coggan can speak about
    what changes occur in "myosin type" with training.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com
    Brooklyn, NY
    718-258-5001

  7. Van Hoorebeeck Bart said:

    "It is hypothesized that the improved muscular efficiency probably reflects changes in muscle myosin type
    stimulated from years of training intensely for 3-6 h on most days."

    Who else thinks this sounds funny ?


    It sounds kind of funny. But it doesn't sound as funny as this:

    A skunk sat on a stump and thunk the stump stunk, but the stump thunk
    the skunk stunk.

  8. Robert Chung said:

    17 March 2005 issue of Journal of Applied Physiology:


    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstract&db=PubMed&list_uids=15774697

    Muscle maturity and specificity are keys to bodybuilding, especially
    for non-chemical types. It takes years to build the density and mass
    cleanly. Specificity comes into play in setting up a rotational program
    to give muscle groups the rest they need to grow. I'm not surprised by
    this at all.
    Bill C

  9. Bill C said:
    Robert Chung said:

    17 March 2005 issue of Journal of Applied Physiology:



    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstract&db=PubMed&list_uids=15774697

    Quoted message said:


    Muscle maturity and specificity are keys to bodybuilding, especially
    for non-chemical types. It takes years to build the density and mass
    cleanly. Specificity comes into play in setting up a rotational program
    to give muscle groups the rest they need to grow. I'm not surprised by
    this at all.

    You ought to be. Coyle was, and I'm guessing he's seen a few more cases
    than you. The change in calculated efficiency (both gross and delta) isn't
    small, it's pretty darn big.

  10. Robert Chung said:
    Bill C said:
    Robert Chung said:

    17 March 2005 issue of Journal of Applied Physiology:




    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstract&db=PubMed&list_uids=15774697

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You ought to be. Coyle was, and I'm guessing he's seen a few more


    cases

    Quoted message said:

    than you. The change in calculated efficiency (both gross and delta)


    isn't

    Quoted message said:

    small, it's pretty darn big.

    Your right. The amount of the change is pretty big, but given Lance's
    performance over his career which has been an indicator of increasing
    performance and the fact that he started out as a genetic freak makes
    this unusual gain more acceptable to me without raising all the other
    issues of performance enhancement.
    I'm taking it as just another indicator that Lance's body, combined
    with his drive is capable of doing the same things, and making the same
    adaptations that we are, just on a whole different scale. I'd like to
    see comparative studies including people like Paula Newby-Fraser, Dave
    Scott, and Scott Tinley all of whom got better as they matured. I guess
    that the only person here who would have a real good idea about whether
    the elite of the pro athletes actually also, gain proportionally and
    commeasurate, with their genetic gifts would be Andy.
    In simple words do the best of the best, also get a higher percentage
    physical benefit from training too?
    Bill C

  11. Van Hoorebeeck Bart said:


    Robert Chung schreef:
    There are some other guys who ride 3-6 hours every day, so it shouldn't
    be hard to validate/ falsify it ?


    I thought it was funny. Like he couldn't think of anything else to say,
    and he played around on medline and found some recent articles...

    (warning, mice, and possible commercial application)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15778894
    (warning, "previously sedentary" subjects)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15746299

    I'm sure he's done biopsies at some point, hasn't he? What are the
    chances he used some of the sample for protein and mRNA preps? None,
    probably, there would be an answer instead of a question if he had.

  12. Quoted message said:


    Hmmm. The same thing struck me. Maybe Andy Coggan can speak about
    what changes occur in "myosin type" with training.

    Not Dr. Coggan, but I think I can answer this question. "Myosin type"
    = muscle fiber type for most intents and purposes. Humans have Type I
    (slow), and Type IIa (fast) and IIx (faster), small mammals also have a
    Type IIb (fastest).

    Most models of disuse such as space flight, bedrest, hind-limb
    suspension in animals, spinal cord injury, show a pretty consistent
    pattern of a shift toward the fastest myosin isoforms and fiber types,
    with fiber type shifts appearing to occur more readily within the Type
    II fibers than between Type II and Type I.

    With increased use, such as recovery from bedrest or spaceflight,
    electrical stimulation training protocols for people with spinal cord
    injury, endurance training you get a fiber type shift in the opposite
    direction toward Type I. We know from chronic electrical stimulation
    of animals that you could potentially shift a muscle to all type I
    fibers. As I understand it, in humans it is fairly easy to document
    shifts from Type IIx to IIa following endurance training, more
    controversial is if much or any shift from Type IIa to Type I occurs.

    I haven't read the article, but I assume the author is speculating that
    the multiple years of lots of volume has shifted Armstrongs' fiber type
    distribution toward a preponderance of Type I fibers, but without
    muscle biopsies over the years, I think it can only remain speculative.

  13. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hmmm. The same thing struck me. Maybe Andy Coggan can speak about
    what changes occur in "myosin type" with training.

    Not Dr. Coggan, but I think I can answer this question. "Myosin type"
    = muscle fiber type for most intents and purposes. Humans have Type I
    (slow), and Type IIa (fast) and IIx (faster), small mammals also have a
    Type IIb (fastest).

    Most models of disuse such as space flight, bedrest, hind-limb
    suspension in animals, spinal cord injury, show a pretty consistent
    pattern of a shift toward the fastest myosin isoforms and fiber types,
    with fiber type shifts appearing to occur more readily within the Type
    II fibers than between Type II and Type I.

    With increased use, such as recovery from bedrest or spaceflight,
    electrical stimulation training protocols for people with spinal cord
    injury, endurance training you get a fiber type shift in the opposite
    direction toward Type I. We know from chronic electrical stimulation
    of animals that you could potentially shift a muscle to all type I
    fibers. As I understand it, in humans it is fairly easy to document
    shifts from Type IIx to IIa following endurance training, more
    controversial is if much or any shift from Type IIa to Type I occurs.

    I haven't read the article, but I assume the author is speculating that
    the multiple years of lots of volume has shifted Armstrongs' fiber type
    distribution toward a preponderance of Type I fibers, but without
    muscle biopsies over the years, I think it can only remain speculative.

    Thanks--informative and clear.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com
    Brooklyn, NY
    718-258-5001

  14. "Robert Chung" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bill C said:
    Robert Chung said:

    17 March 2005 issue of Journal of Applied Physiology:



    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstract&db=PubMed&list_uids=15774697

    Quoted message said:


    Muscle maturity and specificity are keys to bodybuilding, especially
    for non-chemical types. It takes years to build the density and mass
    cleanly. Specificity comes into play in setting up a rotational program
    to give muscle groups the rest they need to grow. I'm not surprised by
    this at all.

    You ought to be. Coyle was, and I'm guessing he's seen a few more cases
    than you. The change in calculated efficiency (both gross and delta) isn't
    small, it's pretty darn big.

    Imagine that - it appears that Lance's story is that he was a genetic
    miracle and not a blood booster.

    That ought to break Lafferty's heart.

  15. Quoted message said:

    I haven't read the article, but I assume the author is speculating


    that

    Quoted message said:

    the multiple years of lots of volume has shifted Armstrongs' fiber


    type

    Quoted message said:

    distribution toward a preponderance of Type I fibers, but without
    muscle biopsies over the years, I think it can only remain


    speculative.

    yes. but in any case the increase in efficiency over the years is
    documented, whatever the cause. the expected effect of EPO would be
    different. you'd see power and VO2max increase with efficiency staying
    about the same (i imagine).

    LA's efficiency isn't off the charts, it's within normal limits, but
    it's the combination of factors that matters.

    in cycling though it's typical that a rider takes several years to
    'mature', and peak performance is seen after 5-10 or so years of
    training. riders that start racing later also mature later.

  16. Bill C said:

    The amount of the change [in efficiency] is pretty big, but [...]
    this unusual gain more acceptable to me without raising all the
    other issues of performance enhancement.

    Actually, even less than raising other issues of performance enhancement,
    it eliminates some. Basically, the efficiency gain means that additional
    oxygen transport might not have been necessary. It raises a separate
    question (Bart's question, and my question) which is how that happened,
    but this is a pretty remarkable finding.

    So here's the next question: if Coyle has had these data since 1999, why
    is it being published now instead of five years ago?

  17. Robert Chung wrote:
    It raises a separate

    Quoted message said:

    question (Bart's question, and my question) which is how that


    happened,

    Quoted message said:

    but this is a pretty remarkable finding.

    Agreed, discovering exactly how it happened and why could have serious
    medical applications outside of sports. I think that it would have to
    be a fairly lengthy study to identify, then monitor, test and document
    others with a similar response. Not too many test subjects though would
    be my guess.

    Quoted message said:


    So here's the next question: if Coyle has had these data since 1999,


    why

    Quoted message said:

    is it being published now instead of five years ago?

    Good question? Looking for new grant money now?
    Bill C


  18. Quoted message said:

    yes. but in any case the increase in efficiency over the years is
    documented, whatever the cause. the expected effect of EPO would be
    different. you'd see power and VO2max increase with efficiency


    staying

    Quoted message said:

    about the same (i imagine).

    I'm not an exercise physiologist and i certainly don't have a good
    grasp on the "efficiency" issue in cycling, but what you say makes
    sense to me. Furthermore, if what someone else posted is accurate and
    these tests were done in the off-season you wouldn't expect any EPO use
    at that time anyway.

  19. Robert Chung wrote:
    It raises a separate

    Quoted message said:

    question (Bart's question, and my question) which is how that


    happened,

    Quoted message said:

    but this is a pretty remarkable finding.

    I got a chance to read the paper. The basic explanation for how it
    happened is simply the large and prolonged volume of training resulted
    in a substantial shift in percentage of Type I fibers, which are
    thought to be more efficient than the Type II fibers. The whole
    discussion section seems highly speculative. Has Armstrong's
    self-selected cadence really increased, which the author attributes to
    this shift in fiber type? I thought his increase in cadence was a
    purposeful thing and only really apparent when he was TTing or climbing
    under pressure?

    If this shift really occurs and leads to a higher preferred cadence,
    shouldn't all pros gravitate toward higher cadences as their careers
    progress?

  20. [email hidden said:

    "]Robert Chung wrote:
    It raises a separate

    Quoted message said:

    question (Bart's question, and my question) which is how that


    happened,

    Quoted message said:

    but this is a pretty remarkable finding.

    I got a chance to read the paper. The basic explanation for how it
    happened is simply the large and prolonged volume of training resulted
    in a substantial shift in percentage of Type I fibers, which are
    thought to be more efficient than the Type II fibers. The whole
    discussion section seems highly speculative. Has Armstrong's
    self-selected cadence really increased, which the author attributes to
    this shift in fiber type? I thought his increase in cadence was a
    purposeful thing and only really apparent when he was TTing or climbing
    under pressure?

    If this shift really occurs and leads to a higher preferred cadence,
    shouldn't all pros gravitate toward higher cadences as their careers
    progress?


    Could you elaborate on Lance's cadence and crank length relative other pros?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.