Until recently, I commuted to work by bike regularly. 12 miles there, 14 miles back by a different
route. I stopped doing this when I was transferred to the 4:30 pm to 12:30 am evening shift. I've
got a decent lighting system, but I don't really feel like riding back after midnight every night. I
get my riding in during my off hours in the day time now.
One of my fellow night shift workers was recently the victim of car theft. His 10 year old Saturn
was stolen from in front of his apartment building. Several days later, it was found abandoned, and
not too badly damaged, but he didn't know this was going to happen, of course. I gave him a ride to
and from work the first night, but then went on vacation. While scouting around for a replacement
car, he decided to buy a $90 K-mart bike and ride to and from work on it. He also sprang for a
battery light.
BTW, no need to explore the discount store bike theme again. I agree that he would have been much
better off trying to find a usable $250 hybrid in a bike shop. The K-mart bike is what he actually
did get, on the theory that he needed to save as much money as possible for another car (no theft
insurance, just liability).
His apartment is somewhere between 12 and 15 miles from work, taking the straight route on
the interstate. With the back roads he needed to use on a bike, figure an extra couple of
miles at least.
So for two nights in a row, this totally inexperienced rider just hopped on a bike and went for it.
He says he ended up walking toward the tops of some hills, and it took him a couple of hours each
way, but he did it because he needed to. He says that his battery light was pretty effective, but
tended to run the batteries down rather quickly, so that he replaced them after the first night. I
gather that the shifting and brakes worked about as you might expect for a bike of this kind.
"Serious" riders tend to a make a fuss over finding just the right equipment to use for a commute.
Nothing wrong with that, and I'm certainly not recommending cheap discount store bikes. But this guy
is a reminder that what you mostly need is motivation.
Now that he has his car back, he plans to use his bike for local errands.
Email address clumsily de-spammed.
MP