Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

I told you it was the bike!

Started by Bean Long · · Last activity · 12 posts · 868 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
3 October 2005
Last activity
4 October 2005
Original author
Bean Long
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
868
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well, what a trip this morning. First commute on my new Giant TCR2 (read
    old posts if you want to find out why it's not the OCRzero I was bragging
    about). I was a little apprehensive this morning after being up with a
    sleepless baby until the wee hours and only getting about 4 hours sleep.
    I'm also recovering from a nasty cold/flu and have been on the bike only a
    few times in the past few months due to baby trouble and other poor excuses.
    So, I was expecting a crappy ride and assumed I wouldn't enjoy it. Anyway,
    got my gear together and hopped on the beast, clipped in (my first SPD's)
    and rolled out the driveway. I immediately noticed the extra speed just
    rolling down our street (compared with my old hunk of cheap steel) and had
    to remind myself of the different geometry and gear/brake positions on this
    thing. Wasn't long before I had to test my skill at popping in and out of
    the pedals at a major intersection and was quite proud of the fact that I
    didn't fall over... not even once! Next was Farrer Ridge. Not a steep
    climb by anyone's standards but the first test of the legs of a morning and
    usually where I see little kids and grandfathers rolling past me as I
    struggle up the slope. Not this time though! I came up behind what seemed
    to be an experienced rider with a roadie and quickly passed him (more like
    floated by actually) and reached the top of the hill in no time flat. Said
    rider was on my wheel when I got to the top and we exchanged 'good morning'
    s and turns at the front for another few k's. Got past the few traffic
    lights and onto the unhindered section of bike path that I take to work and
    we got chatting. "Nice bike" he says, "looks new". Since this is the first
    time I'd been able to keep pace with someone in Canberra, it was probably
    the reason I was able to have a conversation in along time. Had a good chat
    all the way to Commonwealth Bridge (turns out he knows someone I know...
    yada yada yada) where I went my way and he his. Got swooped once just as I
    made it to work, then checked my travel time. WOW! A whole 8 mins off my
    best time on the clunker! An average of around 29 (very good for me on a
    gentle commute) and I would consider myself very out of shape (I could
    describe the shape specifically but I think most of you would feel ill).
    I'm so chuffed! Money well spent and a nice ride!

    Cheers,
    --
    Coffee Bean - Without the coffee!

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  2. Wooot.

    nothing like a new bike between yer legs 😄

  3. Bean Long said:

    Well, what a trip this morning. First commute on my new Giant TCR2 (read
    old posts if you want to find out why it's not the OCRzero I was bragging
    about). I was a little apprehensive this morning after being up with a
    sleepless baby until the wee hours and only getting about 4 hours sleep.
    I'm also recovering from a nasty cold/flu and have been on the bike only a
    few times in the past few months due to baby trouble and other poor excuses.
    So, I was expecting a crappy ride and assumed I wouldn't enjoy it. Anyway,
    got my gear together and hopped on the beast, clipped in (my first SPD's)
    and rolled out the driveway.
    <snip>

    Nice one. That's great motivation for me - I have been at the same place as you baby and health wise and have not been on the bike virtually all September. Rolled the commuter out of the shed on the weekend and got medical clearance this morning. Which means I am ready to commute on Wacky Wednesday when all the lunatics and incompetents swell the commuting ranks (a.k.a. Ride To Work day). Wish I had the motivation of a new bike as well.

  4. Yes, a new bike helps. Not just that it's a shiny new toy... because of the
    expense I can't justfy leaving it at home while I catch the bus! I'll also
    be one of those mad Ride To Work freaks tomorrow too.

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying
    "sinus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Nice one. That's great motivation for me - I have been at the same
    place as you baby and health wise and have not been on the bike
    virtually all September. Rolled the commuter out of the shed on the
    weekend and got medical clearance this morning. Which means I am ready
    to commute on Wacky Wednesday when all the lunatics and incompetents
    swell the commuting ranks (a.k.a. Ride To Work day). Wish I had the
    motivation of a new bike as well.

    --
    sinus

  5. sinus said:

    Nice one. That's great motivation for me - I have been at the same place as you baby and health wise and have not been on the bike virtually all September. Rolled the commuter out of the shed on the weekend and got medical clearance this morning. Which means I am ready to commute on Wacky Wednesday when all the lunatics and incompetents swell the commuting ranks (a.k.a. Ride To Work day). Wish I had the motivation of a new bike as well.

    New wheels are good :-) Got a new set on Saturday and the improvement is dramatic.

  6. sinus said:

    ... Which means I am ready to commute on Wacky Wednesday when all the lunatics and incompetents swell the commuting ranks (a.k.a. Ride To Work day). Wish I had the motivation of a new bike as well.

    could be worse. they could be in their usual 2 tonnes of steel 🙁

  7. flyingdutch said:

    could be worse. they could be in their usual 2 tonnes of steel 🙁


    yep. If only they did it more often.

    How about a Ride to Work day every week 😉 (after you are elected of course)

  8. Bean Long said:

    .....I made it to work, then checked my travel time. WOW! A whole 8 mins off my best time on the clunker! An average of around 29 (very good for me on a gentle commute) and I would consider myself very out of shape (I could describe the shape specifically but I think most of you would feel ill). I'm so chuffed! Money well spent and a nice ride!

    Jeebus! 8mins quicker? What was your old clunker? How much does the TCR2 weigh? How far is your commute?

  9. On 2005-10-03, Bean Long (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    Well, what a trip this morning. First commute on my new Giant TCR2 (read
    old posts if you want to find out why it's not the OCRzero I was bragging
    about). I was a little apprehensive this morning after being up with a
    sleepless baby until the wee hours

    Bikes don't need to sleep. In fact, they prefer to be ridden 24 hours
    a day (as long as you fit in regular maintenance somewhow).

    --
    TimC
    And it should be the law: If you use the word `paradigm' without knowing
    what the dictionary says it means, you go to jail. No exceptions.
    -- David Jones

  10. "Peka" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Jeebus! 8mins quicker? What was your old clunker? How much does the TCR2
    weigh? How far is your commute?

    The old machine was an ancient and low spec Diacompe MTB with a cheap
    Suntour groupset. I got it second hand and always had trouble with the rear
    hub. Tried to fix it myself and realised I didn't have the tools (probably
    a fixed cassette which I couldn't pull apart) and, since this bike was just
    an interim until I bought a good one, I put up with it for nearly 2 years.
    The TCR is light! Not sure on the specs but it's a 'lift it with one
    finger' sort of bike. The lower spec version of the 05 Compact Alloy series
    (http://tinyurl.com/abgub). The commute is just 18 km. I put the time
    saving predominantly down to the rear hub and weight of the old machine and
    to the new clipless pedals!

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  11. Bean Long said:

    The old machine was an ancient and low spec Diacompe MTB with a cheap
    Suntour groupset. I got it second hand and always had trouble with the rear
    hub. Tried to fix it myself and realised I didn't have the tools (probably
    a fixed cassette which I couldn't pull apart) and, since this bike was just
    an interim until I bought a good one, I put up with it for nearly 2 years.
    The TCR is light! Not sure on the specs but it's a 'lift it with one
    finger' sort of bike. The lower spec version of the 05 Compact Alloy series
    (http://tinyurl.com/abgub). The commute is just 18 km. I put the time
    saving predominantly down to the rear hub and weight of the old machine and
    to the new clipless pedals!

    Tyres and aerodynamics will make a much bigger difference than
    the weight, unless you're doing a significant amount of climbing.

  12. flyingdutch said:
    sinus said:

    ... Which means I am ready to commute on Wacky Wednesday when all the
    lunatics and incompetents swell the commuting ranks (a.k.a. Ride To Work
    day). Wish I had the motivation of a new bike as well.

    could be worse. they could be in their usual 2 tonnes of steel 🙁

    Just a typical sunday. The kids r older is all

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.