Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

I need some good shoes

Started by =?utf-8?B?4paAU2xhY2s=?= · · Last activity · 30 posts · 1,152 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
4 August 2007
Last activity
13 August 2007
Original author
=?utf-8?B?4paAU2xhY2s=?=
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,152
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I need some good mtb shoes.

    Must haves:
    Very-very breathable.
    Easy / secure [non-laced] strap method.
    SPD compatible.
    Decent walkers on both dirt and rock, but stiff enough to be efficient
    spinners.
    Roomy

    Must NOT haves:
    Bright red, yellow, white... or any other gay color scheme.
    Hot / warm.
    Cause your foot to go numb.
    Uncomfortable in any way or have a "break-in" period.
    Doesn't cost > $180 (or thereabout).

    So, what do you recommend?
    --
    Slack

  2. Slack said:

    I need some good mtb shoes.

    Must haves:
    Very-very breathable.
    Easy / secure [non-laced] strap method.
    SPD compatible.
    Decent walkers on both dirt and rock, but stiff enough to be efficient
    spinners.
    Roomy

    Must NOT haves:
    Bright red, yellow, white... or any other gay color scheme.
    Hot / warm.
    Cause your foot to go numb.
    Uncomfortable in any way or have a "break-in" period.
    Doesn't cost > $180 (or thereabout).

    So, what do you recommend?
    --
    Slack

    I recommend you try riding skateboards instead.

    JD

  3. JD said:
    Slack said:

    I need some good mtb shoes.

    Must haves:
    Very-very breathable.
    Easy / secure [non-laced] strap method.
    SPD compatible.
    Decent walkers on both dirt and rock, but stiff enough to be
    efficient
    spinners.
    Roomy

    Must NOT haves:
    Bright red, yellow, white... or any other gay color scheme.
    Hot / warm.
    Cause your foot to go numb.
    Uncomfortable in any way or have a "break-in" period.
    Doesn't cost > $180 (or thereabout).

    So, what do you recommend?
    --
    Slack

    I recommend you try riding skateboards instead.

    JD

    I actually tried a couple years ago. It isn't funny what happens to your
    sense of balance as you get older.
    --
    Slack

  4. "?Slack" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:op.twj2ndipf3vmig@slacker...

    Quoted message said:

    I need some good mtb shoes.

    Must haves:
    Very-very breathable.
    Easy / secure [non-laced] strap method.
    SPD compatible.
    Decent walkers on both dirt and rock, but stiff enough to be efficient
    spinners.
    Roomy

    Must NOT haves:
    Bright red, yellow, white... or any other gay color scheme.
    Hot / warm.
    Cause your foot to go numb.
    Uncomfortable in any way or have a "break-in" period.
    Doesn't cost > $180 (or thereabout).

    So, what do you recommend?
    --
    Slack

    I have wide feet, I've tried and have thrown away several pair of expensive
    shoes that caused toe numbness, but have had good results with Specialized
    "Rockhopper" Mountain Bike Shoes. They fit all your "must have"
    requirements except the laced/straps, and "must not have" requirements
    except the break in period. I broke mine on by getting them wet and
    walking around in them for a while. Cost was less than $100, don't mail
    order them because I required at least 1 size larger than my normal shoe
    size. I assumed they still sell them, I bought mine about 3 years ago.

  5. ?Slack said:

    I need some good mtb shoes.

    <snippage>

    Quoted message said:

    So, what do you recommend?
    --Slack

    I still use some old Wally-Mart slip-on things that grip fine on my
    flats. They have maybe another year until the sole is destroyed to the
    point where the studs impact my skin, but until then they are the shiz.
    $20 - can't be beat!

  6. ?Slack said:

    I need some good mtb shoes.

    Must haves:
    Very-very breathable.
    Easy / secure [non-laced] strap method.
    SPD compatible.
    Decent walkers on both dirt and rock, but stiff enough to be efficient
    spinners.
    Roomy

    Must NOT haves:
    Bright red, yellow, white... or any other gay color scheme.
    Hot / warm.
    Cause your foot to go numb.
    Uncomfortable in any way or have a "break-in" period.
    Doesn't cost > $180 (or thereabout).

    So, what do you recommend?


    -------------
    Sidi mega's are of course the best, but
    they're $229, so I'd either go with a
    Shimano, Lake, or Nashbar sandal.

  7. Crescentius Vespasianus said:
    ?Slack said:

    I need some good mtb shoes.
    Must haves:
    Very-very breathable.
    Easy / secure [non-laced] strap method.
    SPD compatible.
    Decent walkers on both dirt and rock, but stiff enough to be
    efficient spinners.
    Roomy
    Must NOT haves:
    Bright red, yellow, white... or any other gay color scheme.
    Hot / warm.
    Cause your foot to go numb.
    Uncomfortable in any way or have a "break-in" period.
    Doesn't cost > $180 (or thereabout).
    So, what do you recommend?


    -------------
    Sidi mega's are of course the best, but they're $229, so I'd either go
    with a Shimano, Lake, or Nashbar sandal.

    Thanks. After reading massive amounts of shoe reviews, manufacturer
    websites, roadie websites.. etc.,
    I did order some Sidi Dominator 5's that were on sale. Hopefully,I can
    stay on the bike long enough that I
    don't wear out the sole too fast. I do see they have a couple shoe models
    with replaceable soles, but I couldn't
    bring myself to pay $300+ for a pair. Maybe my tune will change down the
    road.

    I went thru this exercise recently with dress shoes for work. Bottom line
    is, and I know there are [rare]
    exceptions/limits, but better comfort and longevity always come with a
    higher $$ tag.
    --
    Slack - almost looking like a XC geek, but I aint giving up my baggies or
    loose fitting jerseys!


  8. Quoted message said:

    Must haves:

    Quoted message said:

    Roomy

    is a 52 - too roomy?

    http://www.amazon.com/Sidi-Mens-Dominator-Mountain-Shoe/dp/B000PQGBLG/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2_vari/002-4517010-5043252

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  9. Crescentius "I have been riding a mountain bike for all of three

    seconds' Vespasianus said:

    Sidi mega's are of course the best, but they're $229, so I'd either go
    with a Shimano, Lake, or Nashbar sandal.

    Because you say they are the best? You have no f!cking idea what you
    are talking about. Sidi Megas are still not wide enough for many wide
    feet sufferers such as myself.

    Go away already.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  10. On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 15:12:13 -0700, D T W .../\... <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Must haves:

    Quoted message said:

    Roomy

    is a 52 - too roomy?

    http://www.amazon.com/Sidi-Mens-Dominator-Mountain-Shoe/dp/B000PQGBLG/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2_vari/002-4517010-5043252

    Pity I'm not a freak or a midget. That's a good discount.
    --
    Slack

  11. "Ride-A-Lot" <mitchell@[nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Crescentius "I have been riding a mountain bike for all of three seconds"

    Vespasianus said:

    Sidi mega's are of course the best, but they're $229, so I'd either go
    with a Shimano, Lake, or Nashbar sandal.

    Because you say they are the best? You have no f!cking idea what you are
    talking about. Sidi Megas are still not wide enough for many wide feet
    sufferers such as myself.

    Go away already.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

    I was thinking sandals on a mountain bike could result with instant toe
    amputation.

  12. DI said:


    "Ride-A-Lot" <mitchell@[nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Crescentius "I have been riding a mountain bike for all of three
    seconds"

    Vespasianus said:

    Sidi mega's are of course the best, but they're $229, so I'd either go
    with a Shimano, Lake, or Nashbar sandal.

    Because you say they are the best? You have no f!cking idea what you
    are
    talking about. Sidi Megas are still not wide enough for many wide feet
    sufferers such as myself.

    Go away already.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

    I was thinking sandals on a mountain bike could result with instant toe
    amputation.

    When we were kids, my brother was getting a ride on the handle bars of a
    ten speed. He was was wearing flip flops
    and trying to grip them onto the front wheel axle bolts. One large
    bump/pothole and his big toe went
    right into the spokes; very nearly amputated it.
    --
    Slack

  13. Crescentius Vespasianus said:

    Sidi mega's are of course the best,

    No.

  14. "?Slack" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:op.twlu97xyf3vmig@slacker...

    Quoted message said:
    Crescentius Vespasianus said:
    ?Slack said:

    I need some good mtb shoes.
    Must haves:
    Very-very breathable.
    Easy / secure [non-laced] strap method.
    SPD compatible.
    Decent walkers on both dirt and rock, but stiff enough to be
    efficient spinners.
    Roomy
    Must NOT haves:
    Bright red, yellow, white... or any other gay color scheme.
    Hot / warm.
    Cause your foot to go numb.
    Uncomfortable in any way or have a "break-in" period.
    Doesn't cost > $180 (or thereabout).
    So, what do you recommend?


    -------------
    Sidi mega's are of course the best, but they're $229, so I'd either go
    with a Shimano, Lake, or Nashbar sandal.

    Thanks. After reading massive amounts of shoe reviews, manufacturer
    websites, roadie websites.. etc.,
    I did order some Sidi Dominator 5's that were on sale.

    Good choice on Sidi's, and the fact you bought older models. I did the
    same with my Genius, which were 2-yr old models I got new for $30 on
    fleaBay; they're more comfortable than my every-day shoes.

  15. ?Slack said:
    Crescentius Vespasianus said:
    ?Slack said:

    I need some good mtb shoes.
    Must haves:
    Very-very breathable.
    Easy / secure [non-laced] strap method.
    SPD compatible.
    Decent walkers on both dirt and rock, but stiff enough to be
    efficient spinners.
    Roomy
    Must NOT haves:
    Bright red, yellow, white... or any other gay color scheme.
    Hot / warm.
    Cause your foot to go numb.
    Uncomfortable in any way or have a "break-in" period.
    Doesn't cost > $180 (or thereabout).
    So, what do you recommend?


    -------------
    Sidi mega's are of course the best, but they're $229, so I'd either go
    with a Shimano, Lake, or Nashbar sandal.

    Thanks. After reading massive amounts of shoe reviews, manufacturer
    websites, roadie websites.. etc.,
    I did order some Sidi Dominator 5's that were on sale. Hopefully,I can
    stay on the bike long enough that I
    don't wear out the sole too fast. I do see they have a couple shoe
    models with replaceable soles, but I couldn't
    bring myself to pay $300+ for a pair. Maybe my tune will change down
    the road.

    I went thru this exercise recently with dress shoes for work. Bottom
    line is, and I know there are [rare]
    exceptions/limits, but better comfort and longevity always come with a
    higher $$ tag.

    That is so untrue. I never spend more than $75 on bike shoes and
    they've all met your specs (except for my current pair of Answers which
    got much narrower when they moved production from Korea to China). My
    last pair were comfortable right from the start and lasted forever.

    Greg
    --
    Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
    http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

    Dethink to survive - Mclusky

  16. Slack said:

    I need some good mtb shoes.

    Must haves:
    Very-very breathable.
    Easy / secure [non-laced] strap method.
    SPD compatible.
    Decent walkers on both dirt and rock, but stiff enough to be efficient
    spinners.
    Roomy

    Must NOT haves:
    Bright red, yellow, white... or any other gay color scheme.
    Hot / warm.
    Cause your foot to go numb.
    Uncomfortable in any way or have a "break-in" period.
    Doesn't cost > $180 (or thereabout).

    So, what do you recommend?
    --
    Slack

    The Dominators are good stuff. I wore mine daily for years, on MTB,
    road, fixie and barstool, including lots and lots of NYC walking.
    They've definitely lost their silver/champagne sheen and the orange
    soles have worn down enough that the sidewalk scratches the cleat when
    I walk, but I've got no complaints about them, especially when I'm
    probably just too lazy to apply some Shoe Goo to fix them up. I've
    since bought a pair of Genius which are fine shoes as well.

    I had a great pair of leather Answers too (in a ghastly McDonalds/hot
    dog w/ mustard color scheme), but the soft rubber soles, while great
    on slippery rock, wore down pretty quickly. I use them for, gasp, spin
    classes now.

    I've had a couple pairs of cheap Diadoras too, which have been okay. I
    tore the sole off of the first pair, but the company sent me a freebie
    replacement I've still got in rotation. They're kind of boot-like
    fitwise, but that's good for when I wear winter socks.

    /s

  17. Crescentius Vespasianus said:
    Ride-A-Lot said:

    Crescentius "I have been riding a mountain bike for all of three

    seconds' Vespasianus said:

    Sidi mega's are of course the best, but they're $229, so I'd either
    go with a Shimano, Lake, or Nashbar sandal.

    Because you say they are the best? You have no f!cking idea what you
    are talking about. Sidi Megas are still not wide enough for many wide
    feet sufferers such as myself.

    Go away already.


    ----------------
    My fish '08 CF Superfly 29er just made your ride obsolete, is that why
    you're so angry with me? Bike shoes are the worst, but Sidi's are the

    Bwahahahahaha! Obsolete huh? I had a 29er and just sold it. Why?
    Useless!

    Ratio of 29'ers to 26er's in Colorado (based on patrolling observations
    at Buffalo Creek) is 1 29er for every 150 26er.

    Quoted message said:

    best of them. Unfortunately, bike shoe mfg is light years behind the
    running shoe folks. Many people, like me, have to get mega size, not due
    to wide feet, but because of high arches. Hot foot is caused by
    shutting off the blood from the vein that runs on the top of the foot
    with people with high arches, right where the strap on the top of the
    shoe tightens. But with megas, you at least have some more leather to
    deal with. If you have flat feet, almost any bike shoe will work just
    so it's long enough and wide enough.

    Wrong again. As a wide flat footed shoe wearer, I can tell you from
    experience that Sidi (any mega model) are awful. Flat footers need a
    shoe capable of allowing spill over. Sidi's do not do this (I know
    because I own a pair of dominator megas). The most comfortable shoe I
    have worn and still do are the cheapo $60 specialized laced up canvas
    jobbers. The ones that look like a sneaker.

    Also, you can make any shoe comfortable for arches by going to Good Feet
    and having a custom arch fitted to the shoe.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  18. G.T. said:
    ?Slack said:

    On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 08:34:04 -0700, Crescentius Vespasianus
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ?Slack wrote:
    > I need some good mtb shoes.
    > Must haves:
    > Very-very breathable.
    > Easy / secure [non-laced] strap method.
    > SPD compatible.
    > Decent walkers on both dirt and rock, but stiff enough to be
    > efficient spinners.
    > Roomy
    > Must NOT haves:
    > Bright red, yellow, white... or any other gay color scheme.
    > Hot / warm.
    > Cause your foot to go numb.
    > Uncomfortable in any way or have a "break-in" period.
    > Doesn't cost > $180 (or thereabout).
    > So, what do you recommend?
    -------------
    Sidi mega's are of course the best, but they're $229, so I'd either go
    with a Shimano, Lake, or Nashbar sandal.

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks. After reading massive amounts of shoe reviews, manufacturer
    websites, roadie websites.. etc.,
    I did order some Sidi Dominator 5's that were on sale. Hopefully,I can
    stay on the bike long enough that I
    don't wear out the sole too fast. I do see they have a couple shoe
    models with replaceable soles, but I couldn't
    bring myself to pay $300+ for a pair. Maybe my tune will change down
    the road.

    Quoted message said:

    I went thru this exercise recently with dress shoes for work. Bottom
    line is, and I know there are [rare]
    exceptions/limits, but better comfort and longevity always come with a
    higher $$ tag.

    That is so untrue. I never spend more than $75 on bike shoes and
    they've all met your specs (except for my current pair of Answers which
    got much narrower when they moved production from Korea to China). My
    last pair were comfortable right from the start and lasted forever.

    Greg
    --
    Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

    Dethink to survive - Mclusky- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    When did Answer move to China? I bought a pair of Answer Speeders
    last season and I love them. They were about $70 from Dans Comp, and
    they have laces and velcro. I usually go just velcro, but I like the
    laces every so often.
    Anyway, I have messed up pinkie toes and usually have to go with a
    wide shoe, but I have no problems with my 2006 Speeders. The cleat is
    somewhat recessed, allowing much easier walking on hard surfaces (esp.
    rock) and the shoe feels great on the bike. Walking far is
    uncomfortable due to the stiff sole, but they're riding shoes not
    walking shoes and I want a stiff sole in a riding shoe.
    I wrote something up about it here, but since the OP already made his
    purchase I won't dig it up.
    Oh, one last handy thing about the answers, they look half normal. No
    Grey, black, not too flashy, not too GRS.

  19. Quoted message said:
    G.T. said:
    ?Slack said:


    That is so untrue. I never spend more than $75 on bike shoes and
    they've all met your specs (except for my current pair of Answers which
    got much narrower when they moved production from Korea to China). My
    last pair were comfortable right from the start and lasted forever.


    When did Answer move to China?

    I've been using their shoes ever since they first started selling mtn
    bike shoes, mostly because they were free back when my friends still
    worked there. Back then the shoes were manufactured in South Korea, my
    friend Tony would take a 2 week trip to Seoul each scene to work out the
    final design.

    I don't know when they moved the manufacturing to China but my last pair
    were made in South Korea and this pair (I bought on your reminder
    actually) are made in China.

    Quoted message said:

    I bought a pair of Answer Speeders
    last season and I love them. They were about $70 from Dans Comp, and
    they have laces and velcro. I usually go just velcro, but I like the
    laces every so often.
    Anyway, I have messed up pinkie toes and usually have to go with a
    wide shoe, but I have no problems with my 2006 Speeders.

    For me they're just a bit narrower than my last pair, narrow enough to
    be bothersome.

    Quoted message said:

    The cleat is
    somewhat recessed, allowing much easier walking on hard surfaces (esp.
    rock) and the shoe feels great on the bike. Walking far is
    uncomfortable due to the stiff sole, but they're riding shoes not
    walking shoes and I want a stiff sole in a riding shoe.
    I wrote something up about it here, but since the OP already made his
    purchase I won't dig it up.

    Yep, I remember your write up.

    Quoted message said:

    Oh, one last handy thing about the answers, they look half normal. No
    Grey, black, not too flashy, not too GRS.

    Yeah, that's a big reason I stayed with them. I was thinking about
    switching to other shoes because my last pair of Speeders were of the
    bright yellow and red variety.

    Greg

    --
    Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
    http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

    Dethink to survive - Mclusky

  20. G.T. said:
    Quoted message said:
    G.T. said:

    ?Slack wrote:
    >
    That is so untrue. I never spend more than $75 on bike shoes and
    they've all met your specs (except for my current pair of Answers which
    got much narrower when they moved production from Korea to China). My
    last pair were comfortable right from the start and lasted forever.


    When did Answer move to China?

    I've been using their shoes ever since they first started selling mtn
    bike shoes, mostly because they were free back when my friends still
    worked there. Back then the shoes were manufactured in South Korea, my
    friend Tony would take a 2 week trip to Seoul each scene

    Make that season.

    Greg
    --
    Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
    http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

    Dethink to survive - Mclusky

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.