UK and Europe · Public discussion

I'm Back and a question re new bike

Started by Donegal Paul · · Last activity · 8 posts · 508 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
20 January 2005
Last activity
20 January 2005
Original author
Donegal Paul
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
508
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Good god, 12000 messages! Right well Im not going through all those!

    It's been years since Ive been here, about 5 I think when I used to have a
    Muddy Fox Mountain Bike, loved it, sold it. Then got a lovely raleigh racer,
    that rusted away in the back garden when I got into scooters and after I'd
    sprained my ankle. ( badly too, couldnt use bike for near on 6 months then
    it was winter and i woosed out)

    However, kids are now learning to ride theirs and seeing as I broke my
    kneecap 6 months ago, and the physio says cycling would be very good
    excercise to strengthen my quads then I'm on the lookout for a bike.

    Now, so far, I'm considering the only bikes Ive seen which are at the local
    Halfords. Despite the fact that they seem to have quite a good range, there
    are only 2 that I was mildly keen on and they were the Apollo Cafe 2 Mens
    (spec at
    http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18878&type=0&cat=144) or
    the Carerra Subway 8 (spec at
    http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18883&type=0&cat=144)

    Why only these two? Basically because I want a middle of the road bike that
    will do for my short commute but also be capable of light off road. But one
    of the main reasons is the fact that the handlebars can be adjusted to allow
    a more upright riding position, important to me because while i broke the
    kneecap last year, I also broke my right scaphoid (in the wrist) and don't
    want to be in a riding position where I'll be putting too much weight on the
    wrists. I remember my old MTB and the racer having both these problems, and
    thats before my broken bones :-)

    Oh, Ive already ruled out the carerra subway 1 from comments i've seen via
    google groups (see I have tried to do my homework before jumping in) :-)

    So, the thing is, while the apollo is £150 less than the carerra, is the
    carerra worth the extra? I note the nexus 8 gear hub thingy and wonder if
    its actually any good?
    Also it has neither v brakes nor disc brakes but has drum brakes? any
    opinions on those?

    In fact, basically, for my needs, does anyone have any other recommendations
    at all?
    Apologies for being all newbieish guys and girls, but you lot are the
    experts after all.

    <aside>
    <waves to UKRMer's>
    </aside>
    --
    Donegal Paul - On the mend
    Maico Letta 247cc - We have the technology.
    Zundapp Bella r203 - Watch out for ze Germans!
    Bajaj Chetak 125 - Wannabe Vespa
    Lambretta Li186 - stripped.
    Vespa T5 Millenium - intact
    www.thepilgrimssc.co.uk

  2. Donegal Paul said:

    Now, so far, I'm considering the only bikes Ive seen which are at the
    local Halfords. Despite the fact that they seem to have quite a good
    range, there are only 2 that I was mildly keen on and they were the
    Apollo Cafe 2 Mens (spec at
    http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18878&type=0&cat=144)
    or the Carerra Subway 8 (spec at
    http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18883&type=0&cat=144)

    Why only these two? Basically because I want a middle of the road
    bike that will do for my short commute but also be capable of light
    off road.

    The Subway-8 is well regarded. It got a decent review in the CTC magazine,
    and I have a friend with one who likes it for commutes (who is also someone
    who will spend serious money on cycles, having expensive Cannondales, will
    be critical of things not working properly, etc.)
    You get a very decent hub gear, which on its own is quite an expensive part.
    It gives you minimal maintenance - none of those derraileurs to adjust,
    clean and get covered in muck. The chain will last much longer.

    The penalty is that the wheel will take a little longer to change if you get
    a rear puncture.

    Hub brakes are excellent if you want low maintenance hassle free brakes. I
    think if you live somewhere that is very hilly, or if you use the brakes an
    awful lot, that they may get a bit hot and won't brake as well as
    alternatives. If that's the case, perhaps hubs are not ideal. However, for
    90%+ of use they are excellent. They work well if its wet; not having to
    clear water off the rim first.

    Overall, for a low maintenance general purpose bike its a decent buy.
    If its in your price range, and you like the look of it, I'd go for it.

    You'll probably want to budget for some mudguards and perhaps a rack to
    carry luggage. And lights if using it after dark. Fitting front mudguards
    has one very minor pain - the hub brakes slightly interfere with access to
    the mudguard eye bolt. One solution is a longer bolt inside a tube, the tube
    acts as a spacer to lift the mudguard away from the brake components.

    - Nigel

    --
    NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/
    Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

  3. "Nigel Cliffe" said to Donegal Paul wrote:
    SNIP

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Apollo Cafe 2 Mens (spec at
    http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18878&type=0&cat=144)
    or the Carerra Subway 8 (spec at
    http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18883&type=0&cat=144)

    The Subway-8 is well regarded. It got a decent review in the CTC magazine,
    and I have a friend with one who likes it for commutes (who is also
    someone who will spend serious money on cycles, having expensive
    Cannondales, will be critical of things not working properly, etc.)
    You get a very decent hub gear, which on its own is quite an expensive
    part. It gives you minimal maintenance - none of those derraileurs to
    adjust, clean and get covered in muck. The chain will last much longer.

    I have to say, with all my googling ive only found one poor review, and it
    appears to be more because of Halfrauds ineptitude as opposed to the actual
    bike.

    Quoted message said:


    The penalty is that the wheel will take a little longer to change if you
    get a rear puncture.

    I can live with that.

    Quoted message said:


    Hub brakes are excellent if you want low maintenance hassle free brakes. I
    think if you live somewhere that is very hilly, or if you use the brakes
    an awful lot, that they may get a bit hot and won't brake as well as
    alternatives.

    *heh* I live in bedford mate, I think that the only place flatter is the
    Norfolk Broads and Holland :-)

    Quoted message said:


    Overall, for a low maintenance general purpose bike its a decent buy.
    If its in your price range, and you like the look of it, I'd go for it.

    Its within my price range as in I have the money, before seeing it I was
    thinking of literally buying a £50 hack. Course, I may be convincing myself
    to buy the Subway 8 as it's really taken my fancy, other than those silly
    fans to cool the brakes. I'm beginning to the think though a cheapo bike may
    be more maintenence in the long run.

    Quoted message said:


    You'll probably want to budget for some mudguards and perhaps a rack to
    carry luggage. And lights if using it after dark. Fitting front mudguards
    has one very minor pain - the hub brakes slightly interfere with access to
    the mudguard eye bolt. One solution is a longer bolt inside a tube, the
    tube acts as a spacer to lift the mudguard away from the brake components.

    I had also noticed this on google too. I will probably fit mudguards, I
    sincerely doubt ill be putting on a rack though.
    Thanks though for the very thorough reply, much appreciated.
    --
    Donegal Paul - On the mend
    Maico Letta 247cc - We have the technology.
    Zundapp Bella r203 - Watch out for ze Germans!
    Bajaj Chetak 125 - Wannabe Vespa
    Lambretta Li186 - stripped.
    Vespa T5 Millenium - intact
    www.thepilgrimssc.co.uk

  4. Quoted message said:

    "Nigel Cliffe" wrote:

    *heh* I live in bedford mate, I think that the only place flatter is the
    Norfolk Broads and Holland :-)

    Yes, I love those nice flat B roads. Great for cycling on.

    Oh ... BROADS..

    Pete

  5. Donegal Paul said:

    "Nigel Cliffe" said to Donegal Paul wrote:
    SNIP

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Apollo Cafe 2 Mens (spec at
    http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18878&type=0&cat=144)
    or the Carerra Subway 8 (spec at
    http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18883&type=0&cat=144)

    The Subway-8 is well regarded. It got a decent review in the CTC magazine,
    and I have a friend with one who likes it for commutes (who is also
    someone who will spend serious money on cycles, having expensive
    Cannondales, will be critical of things not working properly, etc.)
    You get a very decent hub gear, which on its own is quite an expensive
    part. It gives you minimal maintenance - none of those derraileurs to
    adjust, clean and get covered in muck. The chain will last much longer.

    I have to say, with all my googling ive only found one poor review, and it
    appears to be more because of Halfrauds ineptitude as opposed to the actual
    bike.

    My "initial impressions" are here
    http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/not_on_my_watch/2004/06/new_bike_first_.html

    and some pictures here
    http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/not_on_my_watch/2004/06/bike_pics.html

    Of course, this may be the very "one poor review" to which you refer. I
    never did get round to writing a proper review - I'll see if I can
    update my findings soon.

    Overall, I'm very pleased with the bike; it does make a very good park
    and forget machine. I was after a bike that would tolerate near zero
    maintenance and this shows every sign of being OK in this role.

    The hub gear does its job and the only negative I have to note is that
    it does occasionally slip in 4th gear. A small slip, not a No Gear
    Sturmey Archer affair. I think the cable have stretched and a turn of an
    allen key will sort it.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The penalty is that the wheel will take a little longer to change if you
    get a rear puncture.

    I can live with that.

    Worth practicing at home as it is a bit of a bugger. The tyres are thick
    kevlar so should minimise p*******s.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hub brakes are excellent if you want low maintenance hassle free brakes. I
    think if you live somewhere that is very hilly, or if you use the brakes
    an awful lot, that they may get a bit hot and won't brake as well as
    alternatives.

    *heh* I live in bedford mate, I think that the only place flatter is the
    Norfolk Broads and Holland :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Overall, for a low maintenance general purpose bike its a decent buy.
    If its in your price range, and you like the look of it, I'd go for it.

    Its within my price range as in I have the money, before seeing it I was
    thinking of literally buying a £50 hack. Course, I may be convincing myself
    to buy the Subway 8 as it's really taken my fancy, other than those silly
    fans to cool the brakes. I'm beginning to the think though a cheapo bike may
    be more maintenence in the long run.

    I used to buy a £150 - £200 new bike every year, trading in the old one each
    time. Compared to the costs of replacing worn out bits and paying for
    servicing, it wasn't that bad a way of doing it.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You'll probably want to budget for some mudguards and perhaps a rack to
    carry luggage. And lights if using it after dark. Fitting front mudguards
    has one very minor pain - the hub brakes slightly interfere with access to
    the mudguard eye bolt. One solution is a longer bolt inside a tube, the
    tube acts as a spacer to lift the mudguard away from the brake components.

    I just forced the SKS P65s to fit and they've stayed on fine.

    Quoted message said:

    I had also noticed this on google too. I will probably fit mudguards, I
    sincerely doubt ill be putting on a rack though.
    Thanks though for the very thorough reply, much appreciated.

  6. Not Responding' said to Donegal Paul said:
    Quoted message said:

    SNIP

    Quoted message said:

    >Apollo Cafe 2 Mens (spec at
    >http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18878&type=0&cat=144)
    >or the Carerra Subway 8 (spec at
    >http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18883&type=0&cat=144)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have to say, with all my googling ive only found one poor review, and
    it appears to be more because of Halfrauds ineptitude as opposed to the
    actual bike.

    My "initial impressions" are here
    http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/not_on_my_watch/2004/06/new_bike_first_.html

    and some pictures here
    http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/not_on_my_watch/2004/06/bike_pics.html

    Of course, this may be the very "one poor review" to which you refer. I
    never did get round to writing a proper review - I'll see if I can update
    my findings soon.

    Nope it wasn't, it was someone else on an online forum that mentioned probs
    with the nexus derrailler but mentioned it was probably more to do with
    halfrauds.

    --
    Donegal Paul - On the mend
    Maico Letta 247cc - We have the technology.
    Zundapp Bella r203 - Watch out for ze Germans!
    Bajaj Chetak 125 - Wannabe Vespa
    Lambretta Li186 - stripped.
    Vespa T5 Millenium - intact
    www.thepilgrimssc.co.uk

  7. in message <[email hidden]>, Donegal Paul

    (') said:

    Good god, 12000 messages! Right well Im not going through all those!

    It's been years since Ive been here, about 5 I think when I used to
    have a Muddy Fox Mountain Bike, loved it, sold it. Then got a lovely
    raleigh racer, that rusted away in the back garden when I got into
    scooters and after I'd sprained my ankle. ( badly too, couldnt use
    bike for near on 6 months then it was winter and i woosed out)

    However, kids are now learning to ride theirs and seeing as I broke my
    kneecap 6 months ago, and the physio says cycling would be very good
    excercise to strengthen my quads then I'm on the lookout for a bike.

    Now, so far, I'm considering the only bikes Ive seen which are at the
    local Halfords. Despite the fact that they seem to have quite a good
    range, there are only 2 that I was mildly keen on and they were the
    Apollo Cafe 2 Mens (spec at


    http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18878&type=0&cat=144)

    Quoted message said:

    or the Carerra Subway 8 (spec at


    http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18883&type=0&cat=144)

    Quoted message said:


    So, the thing is, while the apollo is £150 less than the carerra, is
    the carerra worth the extra? I note the nexus 8 gear hub thingy and
    wonder if its actually any good?
    Also it has neither v brakes nor disc brakes but has drum brakes? any
    opinions on those?

    The Carerra 8 is one of the few Halfords bikes which gets a good rep
    here. You get a lot of genuinely useful technology for your money; it's
    going to be a lot more reliable and a lot more maintenance free as a
    utility bike than anything with deraileurs.

    Don't get carried away with the idea that disk brakes are good. They
    _are_ good, but only in extreme conditions (meaning: mud). Otherwise,
    disks are no better than V brakes, and a bit heavier. The drum brakes
    on the Carerra 8 also have a good reputation - heavier, but very low
    maintenance and good in wet conditions.

    The Apollo, frankly, isn't worth half the price, but the Carerra is a
    bargain.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; single speed mountain bikes: for people who cycle on flat mountains.

  8. In news:[email hidden],
    Donegal Paul <[email hidden]> typed:

    Quoted message said:
    Not Responding' said to Donegal Paul said:
    Quoted message said:

    SNIP

    >> Apollo Cafe 2 Mens (spec at
    >>


    http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18878&type=0&cat=144)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> or the Carerra Subway 8 (spec at
    >>


    http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=18883&type=0&cat=144)

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have to say, with all my googling ive only found one poor review,
    and it appears to be more because of Halfrauds ineptitude as
    opposed to the actual bike.

    My "initial impressions" are here


    http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/not_on_my_watch/2004/06/new_bike_first_.html

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    and some pictures here
    http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/not_on_my_watch/2004/06/bike_pics.html

    Of course, this may be the very "one poor review" to which you
    refer. I never did get round to writing a proper review - I'll see
    if I can update my findings soon.

    Nope it wasn't, it was someone else on an online forum that mentioned
    probs with the nexus derrailler but mentioned it was probably more to
    do with halfrauds.

    I got my Nexus hub gear replaced (for a grand total of £65), but the old one
    is repairable, just with bits that would take 3 months to get to the UK.
    Something weird went wrong with the cones, and it wobbled on the axle. I've
    no idea if it was a manufacturing error or maintenance error, so I swallowed
    the loss. The gears themselves work fine on the broken hub, though.

    Also, my reporting of this may have thrown a question mark on the
    reliability of the hub (I saw Dan Joyce mention he'd heard reports of
    failures), so I'd better point out it's not necessarily a black mark on the
    hub. Quite probably not in fact.

    I don't have a Subway 8, by the way. My bike cost lots more, but came with
    approximately the same spec, and in 2003, not this year or last.

    A

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.