I have a 13 day old baby at home, our first π
I've ridden once in the last two weeks π
I'm open to any and all advice on how to train during the first several months. Please. Success stories, as well, could be quite motivating...
HammerHead.
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
Cycling Training Β· Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
I have a 13 day old baby at home, our first π
I've ridden once in the last two weeks π
I'm open to any and all advice on how to train during the first several months. Please. Success stories, as well, could be quite motivating...
HammerHead.
No hope! You'll be so sleep deprived that you won't have the energy to ride. The only way is to either ride during lunch hours at work or v early morning. Come back and get the milk bottle ready for the morning feed (or breakfast for the lady if breast feeding). And if the baby refuses to get into a routine, you'll be truely screwed. :o
Time poor. Can you bike commute ?
Enjoy your blessing, in 20 years your regrets wont be a few missed bike rides they will be missing the chance to see your children grow. Ride when you can, try a trainer? Good luck
My friend and her husband bought a trainer and snuck in works out when they were not KO'd. When my son was born, I pushed him in a jog stroller to give my wife break from the wahwah's.
However, the sentiment that 20 years from now you won't regret missing a few rides is dead on target! You'll find time to balance your life. Good Luck and Congrats!π
I have a 4 year old son and have been in medical school for the past 4 years....If you really want to ride your bike, you can. Time management and commitment are the keys. I have ridden and raced before and since my son's birth as well as worked some mighty long hours. I have gotten up at 4:45am to ride the trainer. I have ridden on rare lunch breaks. I get up super early and ride when I have days off so I can be home for the rest of the day with my family. Sometimes, I let my wife know I'll be gone all day riding and when I get home I'll take care of the baby so she can go do her thing. Riding your bike will keep you sane and happy. Which in turn will keep your family happy. Get out and ride. Good luck, enjoy your life.
No need to miss any training. You have to sacrifice your road bike for one of these; put lots of soft cosy blankets in the basket, place the little one carefully, get on the rollers, the baby will be asleep in seconds with the motion and you will get in a good workout. π TYSON
[img]i34.photobucket.comTop1.jpgOpen β[/img]
sogood said:No hope! You'll be so sleep deprived that you won't have the energy to ride. The only way is to either ride during lunch hours at work or v early morning. Come back and get the milk bottle ready for the morning feed (or breakfast for the lady if breast feeding). And if the baby refuses to get into a routine, you'll be truely screwed. :o
===========================================================
Re breast feeding - keep it up for as long as possible. No 1 son for us was breast feed until no 2 came along - 21 months.
No 2 will be breast fed for up to 3 years or until he doesn't want it.
There is so much to recommend it - not the least it's so easy to calm a distressed baby with a boobyπ
jack73 said:My friend and her husband bought a trainer and snuck in works out when they were not KO'd. When my son was born, I pushed him in a jog stroller to give my wife break from the wahwah's.
However, the sentiment that 20 years from now you won't regret missing a few rides is dead on target! You'll find time to balance your life. Good Luck and Congrats!π
============================================================
I agree whole heartedly on the congrats and as the years go by your joy with the little one will increase.
You and your wife must aim to get in to good routines as soon as possible. Don't force them - steady change management works well. Babies(and wives!) hate change but you'll get there.
Once you get to baby only waking once a night you'll find it a lot easier to get decent rest - it still won't be as good though. Feeds during the day/night will become more regular(and then they'll change again!) and you'll be able to work in training around that.
We were very determined to work with our sons and to work for them to have good routines No 1 son - slept through the night from 5 weeksπ - until teething started(and that wasn't as traumatic as some either).
No 2 son - slept throught the night from 10 weeksπ - until teething(he's not finished as he's only 14 months now.
Both alway sleep through now - it's great.
These are best case senarios though.
velodemon said:I have a 4 year old son and have been in medical school for the past 4 years....If you really want to ride your bike, you can. Time management and commitment are the keys. I have ridden and raced before and since my son's birth as well as worked some mighty long hours. I have gotten up at 4:45am to ride the trainer. I have ridden on rare lunch breaks. I get up super early and ride when I have days off so I can be home for the rest of the day with my family. Sometimes, I let my wife know I'll be gone all day riding and when I get home I'll take care of the baby so she can go do her thing. Riding your bike will keep you sane and happy. Which in turn will keep your family happy. Get out and ride. Good luck, enjoy your life.
===========================================================
Agree - getting out on your bike will bring saneness and happiness to you and family.
Also your wife will appreciate(she may not say it yet) time to do her thing alone - shopping, gym, etc.
I love to unwind on my bike - out in the countryside with my mind off family etc.
My wife knows I need it and is very supportive - apparently I'm a better person for ridingπ
Thanks for all the input. I think I've come to the realization that racing is on hold, structured training is unlikely, but I will get out to ride and enjoy it as much as possible.
It will also give me time work with my new cyclist. The magic number is, I believe, 6.7 watts/kg to be a tour contender. He's a hair over 3 kg now, so he would only need to put out around 20 watts at threshold for a shot at the podium. Surely he can do that now. Crank length may be difficult though... :p
This could be a great time to gear up for the RAAM .. you could work on the sleep deprivation training at least ..
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users Β· 0 guests Β·0 bots Β·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.