Hey, Y'all!
I did it, I Did it, I DID IT!!! I was so upset yesterday I almost couldn't breathe, freaking out because I couldn't mount my bike without a curb or stool, and not wanting to go back to the bike shop for my issues with wrist pain and saddle soreness until I could do so -- because admitting to them that I had had my bike for a month and still couldn't mount it would have been just about unbearably embarrassing.
So last night I watched the YouTube video by REI (on how to mount your bike) about 30-40 times. For the first time, I had noticed that she had her pedal at about the 9:00 position when she started, and I had always had mine closer to 11:00, so decided I would try that. And then when I couldn't sleep, I thought about that and just visualized myself doing it over and over and over again.
It was still raining this morning, so I was frustrated because I couldn't try. But it cleared off this afternoon. So I wore my tighter jeans to avoid butt-snag from the seat again, and talked Long-Suffering Hubby into going with me so he could watch from the side and tell me anything that looked off. But the very first time I tried, it was better than it has been yet before, and every time I tried it got a little better and a little smoother, with the occasional wobbly beginning, but generally getting better. We went about a mile with me getting on, pedaling 3 or 4 revolutions, stopping and getting off, and starting up again. Anybody who saw me must have wondered what on EARTH I was doing with that bike,but I didn't care, I just wanted to learn it. And I did!
So we rode about 3 miles, then Hubby went home to take care of some things, and I rode another 5, stopping every once in a while and getting off and making myself mount again. And I LOVED riding again, except for the wrist pain and saddle soreness, but once we can get to the bike shop we'll take care of those issues, too.
I AM SO EXCITED!!! It really is funny that such a simple thing as having the pedal too high could throw me off so badly, but that appears to have been what was causing most of the problem. I also am starting off on the opposite leg than I had been before, but I don't think that really made much difference; it was just easier to get started without the pedal being so high.
THANK YOU for bearing with my roller coaster of emotions this past few weeks. I never knew what a nice form of Valium cycling would prove to be for me! It has become my drug of choice when I'm down, so being down about not being able to ride was a double whammy -- I had no drugs to solve that, lol.
I did 8 miles today, eventually, after all the stopping and starting, and can't wait to get back to doing 10 or more and working up to 20. I LOVE BIKING!!!!!!
Thanks, y'all.
Sierra Who Can Get On Her Bike