Road Cycling · Public discussion

I kinda knew I was too heavy...

Started by Raptor · · Last activity · 38 posts · 2,147 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
7 June 2003
Last activity
11 June 2003
Original author
Raptor
Posts
38
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,147
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 38
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three finishing
    laps. The course was freshly paved, about
    1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been working
    out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.

    Since I can do 23-24mph solo on a good day, I thought I might be okay. Then, "Oh yeah, I remember
    this..." from 15 years ago, the last time I raced. All these speed freaks take turns burning
    themselves up, resulting in a very hot pace from start to finish.

    I did fine dangling off the back for about six laps, casually letting the draft pull me along the
    downhills and flats, and rather easily sprinting up the climbs to catch up. There was one time where
    the course tightens up and a couple guys in the middle got squirly, but no crashes.

    Then the announcer runs two prime laps close together and suddenly the peloton is 30 yards ahead and
    I realize I'm done. I dangled for one more lap before I was pulled.

    Looks like I need more speed work. I'm trying to decide whether to do structured interval training
    on my own, or participate in more weekly training races to get that high-pace recovery capacity
    going. Or should I join a local team and ride with 'em?

    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace xmission.com~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
    charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  2. "Raptor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three finishing
    laps. The course was freshly paved, about
    1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
    working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.

    You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need to lose another 15 pounds to
    20 pounds.

    If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.

    Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)

  3. "Raptor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three finishing
    laps. The course was freshly paved, about
    1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
    working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.

    Since I can do 23-24mph solo on a good day, I thought I might be okay. Then, "Oh yeah, I remember
    this..." from 15 years ago, the last time I raced. All these speed freaks take turns burning
    themselves up, resulting in a very hot pace from start to finish.

    I did fine dangling off the back for about six laps, casually letting the draft pull me along the
    downhills and flats, and rather easily sprinting up the climbs to catch up. There was one time
    where the course tightens up and a couple guys in the middle got squirly, but no crashes.

    Then the announcer runs two prime laps close together and suddenly the peloton is 30 yards ahead
    and I realize I'm done. I dangled for one more lap before I was pulled.

    Looks like I need more speed work. I'm trying to decide whether to do structured interval training
    on my own, or participate in more weekly training races to get that high-pace recovery capacity
    going. Or should I join a local team and ride with 'em?

    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace xmission.com~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
    in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  4. "Dashi Toshii" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
    working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.

    You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need to lose another 15 pounds
    to 20 pounds.

    If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.

    For a 50 foot climb?

    Intervals would be more practical.

  5. "Dashi Toshii" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:KxqEa.102556$M01.53351@sccrnsc02...

    Quoted message said:


    "Raptor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three
    finishing laps. The course was freshly paved, about
    1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
    working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.

    You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need to lose another 15 pounds
    to 20 pounds.

    If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.

    Not really. 185 lbs for someone 6', in a Cat V race is fine. If Wallace can do 23+ mph ave. flat
    solo then he's more than fit enough and hopefully fast enough, and race-savvy enough to do very well
    and upgrade after 5-10 Cat V starts.

    Quoted message said:


    Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)

    (that's pretty darned skinny)

  6. Quoted message said:

    I did fine dangling off the back for about six laps,

    There's your problem.

    You don't see Lance back there for long !

    Get brave and sit in the pack more. Watch for people with lousy skill and stay ahead of them.

    jw milwaukee

  7. "Carl Sundquist" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Dashi Toshii" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
    working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.

    You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    lose another 15 pounds to 20 pounds.

    If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.

    For a 50 foot climb?

    Intervals would be more practical.

    Not just for a 50 foot climb but for overall performance.

    Dashii

  8. "Ken Papai" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:o7rEa.898437$Zo.205182@sccrnsc03...

    Quoted message said:


    "Dashi Toshii" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:KxqEa.102556$M01.53351@sccrnsc02...

    Quoted message said:


    "Raptor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three
    finishing laps. The course was freshly paved,


    about

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
    working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.

    You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    lose another 15 pounds to 20 pounds.

    If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.

    Not really. 185 lbs for someone 6', in a Cat V race is fine. If Wallace can do 23+ mph ave. flat
    solo then he's more than fit enough and hopefully fast enough, and race-savvy enough to do very
    well and upgrade after 5-10 Cat V starts.

    Sure but to be competitive and be a possible winner he will need to lose the weight.

    I don't mean by dieting but by working hard on the bike and eating healthy.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)

    (that's pretty darned skinny)

    Thanks but I don't think that I am too skinny, I am built more like a middle weight boxer than
    a cyclist.

    Dashii

  9. "J999w" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I did fine dangling off the back for about six laps,

    There's your problem.

    You don't see Lance back there for long !

    Get brave and sit in the pack more. Watch for people with lousy skill and


    stay

    Quoted message said:

    ahead of them.

    jw milwaukee

    Even better, stay in the top 20 or so the whole race.

    1. its easier: no sprinting out of the corners.
    2. you can see when the front of the pack accelerates and be ready when the wave gets to you.
    3. the riders in the front are usually better bike handlers and thus safer
    4. did I mention that it was easier?
    5. its easier to see if anyone's brave enough to attack a Cat 5 race and try a break. If you don't
    like riding in the pack, go OTF instead of OTB! At least OTF you have a chance to win something
    (like the race!)

    The trick is to get to the point where you can ride at the front but not ON the front. Let some
    other sucker pull!

    Then again, you probably already know all this, you just aren't doing it...

    Mike

  10. "Ken Papai" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:o7rEa.898437$Zo.205182@sccrnsc03...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)

    (that's pretty darned skinny)


    I had a friend who was 6' 2" and weighed 130 lbs (59 kg) when he was racing (he was in his early
    20's though). He used to go OK on hills, and he could sprint reasonably well. He stopped about six
    years ago and I think he's now around the 190 lb mark.

    Jeff

  11. "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ken Papai" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:o7rEa.898437$Zo.205182@sccrnsc03...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)

    (that's pretty darned skinny)


    I had a friend who was 6' 2" and weighed 130 lbs (59 kg) when he was


    racing

    Quoted message said:

    (he was in his early 20's though). He used to go OK on hills, and he


    could

    Quoted message said:

    sprint reasonably well. He stopped about six years ago and I think


    he's now

    Quoted message said:

    around the 190 lb mark.

    So is this your "friend" in the mirror Jeff?

  12. "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ken Papai" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:o7rEa.898437$Zo.205182@sccrnsc03...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)

    (that's pretty darned skinny)


    I had a friend who was 6' 2" and weighed 130 lbs (59 kg) when he was


    racing

    Quoted message said:

    (he was in his early 20's though). He used to go OK on hills, and he could sprint reasonably well.
    He stopped about six years ago and I think he's


    now

    Quoted message said:

    around the 190 lb mark.

    Jeff

    I don't think that there are any pro riders over 2.3 lbs per inch.

    The "Big Mig" Miguel Indurain was about 2.4 lbs per inch.

    Dashii

  13. "Raptor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message:

    <snip>

    "Oh yeah, I remember this..." from 15 years ago, the last time I

    Quoted message said:

    raced. All these speed freaks take turns burning themselves up, resulting in a very hot pace from
    start to finish.

    That sort of defines crit racing.

    Quoted message said:


    I did fine dangling off the back for about six laps, casually letting the draft pull me along the
    downhills and flats, and rather easily sprinting up the climbs to catch up. There was one time
    where the course tightens up and a couple guys in the middle got squirly, but no crashes.

    Then the announcer runs two prime laps close together and suddenly the peloton is 30 yards ahead
    and I realize I'm done. I dangled for one more lap before I was pulled.

    Looks like I need more speed work. I'm trying to decide whether to do structured interval training
    on my own, or participate in more weekly training races to get that high-pace recovery capacity
    going. Or should I join a local team and ride with 'em?

    Group rides and a few races where you have no goal but to improve each outing.

    Quoted message said:


    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace xmission.com~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
    in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  14. Yeah, there are a few. Tour winners may be a different story.

    "Dashi Toshii" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ken Papai" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:o7rEa.898437$Zo.205182@sccrnsc03...

    Quoted message said:

    >
    > Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)

    (that's pretty darned skinny)


    I had a friend who was 6' 2" and weighed 130 lbs (59 kg) when he was


    racing

    Quoted message said:

    (he was in his early 20's though). He used to go OK on hills, and he


    could

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    sprint reasonably well. He stopped about six years ago and I think he's


    now

    Quoted message said:

    around the 190 lb mark.

    Jeff

    I don't think that there are any pro riders over 2.3 lbs per inch.

    The "Big Mig" Miguel Indurain was about 2.4 lbs per inch.

    Dashii

  15. Dashi Toshii said:

    "Raptor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three finishing
    laps. The course was freshly paved, about
    1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
    working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.

    You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need to lose another 15 pounds
    to 20 pounds.

    If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.

    Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)

    I'm 5'10". My body composition is pretty good, I'm just very beefy for a bike racer, especially one
    trying to go up hills. I can go up hills much faster than I have in the past, but it's real hard
    hanging with the flyweights.

    ("Real hard" = "impossible" at least at this point. I'm willing to hear if it's true that it's
    virtually impossible for someone with my build to keep up on hills, but losing weight isn't that
    much of a priority for
    me. My build is big but looks pretty good IMO. I'd rather suck at bike racing, I think.)

    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace xmission.com~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
    charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  16. Thanks everyone for the advice. It makes sense.

    I just wasn't ready to mingle closely with the peloton. I'm smooth enough on my bike but I'm not
    used to close quarters. Hanging off the back was as much a service to my fellow riders as it was for
    my sense of safety.

    I think I'll do practice races as my main training (as well as the usual long solo "pleasure"
    rides). I'll get the interval/speed work and get better at riding in the peloton in due time.

    I can't say I'm surprised at what happened, just a bit bummed. My strength (cruising speed) led me
    to believe I could do better.

    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace xmission.com~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
    charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

  17. "Tom Kunich" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    So is this your "friend" in the mirror Jeff?


    Nope. He was 2" taller than me for a start and 20 lb lighter (at the time). The situation is
    somewhat reversed now!

    Jeff

  18. In article <[email hidden]>, "Jeff Jones"

    jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com said:

    "Tom Kunich" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    So is this your "friend" in the mirror Jeff?


    Nope. He was 2" taller than me for a start and 20 lb lighter (at the time). The situation is
    somewhat reversed now!

    Jeff

    Ah, so you've grown four inches, Jeff?

    --
    tanx, Howard

    Read. Think. Type. Send.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

    For some people, quantity IS quality...

  19. Raptor said:


    I did fine dangling off the back for about six laps,...


    snip

    Quoted message said:

    Then the announcer runs two prime laps close together and suddenly the peloton is 30 yards ahead
    and I realize I'm done. I dangled for one more lap before I was pulled.

    Looks like I need more speed work....


    It looks like you need to not dangle off the back of the pack. That's not smart racing.

  20. "Raptor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dashi Toshii said:

    "Raptor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I finally made my way into a CatV race, the Sugarhouse Park Crit. 45 minutes with three
    finishing laps. The course was freshly paved, about
    1.3 mile laps. The park has a pond in a basin, so each lap has two 50-foot climbs. I've been
    working out hard and gained 5 pounds to 185 in the last six months.

    You didn't say how tall you are but if you are 6 foot or over you need


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    lose another 15 pounds to 20 pounds.

    If less than 6 feet than you will need to lose a lot more weight.

    Dashii (6' 1" 166 pounds)

    I'm 5'10". My body composition is pretty good, I'm just very beefy for a bike racer, especially
    one trying to go up hills. I can go up hills much faster than I have in the past, but it's real
    hard hanging with the flyweights.

    ("Real hard" = "impossible" at least at this point. I'm willing to hear if it's true that it's
    virtually impossible for someone with my build to keep up on hills, but losing weight isn't that
    much of a priority for
    me. My build is big but looks pretty good IMO. I'd rather suck at bike racing, I think.)

    If you are not serious about winning races and enjoy the sport as you are then losing weight isn't
    necessary.

    Dashii

    Quoted message said:


    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace xmission.com~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
    in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.