UK and Europe · Public discussion

"I *heart* commuting"; or The Man Who Folded

Started by davek · · Last activity · 16 posts · 471 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
12 April 2006
Last activity
13 April 2006
Original author
davek
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
471
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Got to try out the Brompton this morning on a proper commute for the
    first time and what a splendid experience it was, too. I've been
    working at home for the past few weeks so the only excuse to use it so
    far has been going to the shop to get the paper, which doesn't quite
    cut the mustard.

    Smile number one: When I wheeled it on to the platform this morning I
    didn't start to fold until the train was already pulling in - and still
    managed to finish collapsing it down to that ever-so-neat little
    package before the train had stopped moving.

    Smile number two: pootling through Hyde Park on a beautiful spring
    morning. When I used to bring the full-size road bike, I was a bit of a
    heads-down, hell-for-leather kind of commuter. But there's something
    about the Brompton that makes you just want to enjoy the scenery a bit
    more. Perhaps it's the more-upright riding position. Not that it's a
    particularly slow way of travelling - slower than the road bike, of
    course, but I whizzed past many people on clunky hybrids with their fat
    chunky tyres and rubbish suspension. Ha!

    Smile number three: as I hopped off at the other end, scooting up to
    the front door of the office and neatly flicking the back wheel under,
    I got a lovely admiring smile from a very attractive young lady who
    just happened to be passing by. Oh yes, get a Brompton and you will
    pull!

    Smile number four: getting to show off the fold-unfold technique to my
    colleagues, who were all suitably impressed.

    Smile number five: the thought that I didn't have to play sardines on
    the Circle Line this morning.

    All in all, I am one happy bunny. :-)

    d.

  2. davek said:

    Got to try out the Brompton this morning on a proper commute for the
    first time and what a splendid experience it was, too. I've been
    working at home for the past few weeks so the only excuse to use it so
    far has been going to the shop to get the paper, which doesn't quite
    cut the mustard.

    Smile number one: When I wheeled it on to the platform this morning I
    didn't start to fold until the train was already pulling in - and still
    managed to finish collapsing it down to that ever-so-neat little
    package before the train had stopped moving.

    Smile number two: pootling through Hyde Park on a beautiful spring
    morning. When I used to bring the full-size road bike, I was a bit of a
    heads-down, hell-for-leather kind of commuter. But there's something
    about the Brompton that makes you just want to enjoy the scenery a bit
    more. Perhaps it's the more-upright riding position. Not that it's a
    particularly slow way of travelling - slower than the road bike, of
    course, but I whizzed past many people on clunky hybrids with their fat
    chunky tyres and rubbish suspension. Ha!

    Smile number three: as I hopped off at the other end, scooting up to
    the front door of the office and neatly flicking the back wheel under,
    I got a lovely admiring smile from a very attractive young lady who
    just happened to be passing by. Oh yes, get a Brompton and you will
    pull!

    Smile number four: getting to show off the fold-unfold technique to my
    colleagues, who were all suitably impressed.

    Smile number five: the thought that I didn't have to play sardines on
    the Circle Line this morning.

    You've not yet found Smile number six then. The manoeuvrability when
    traffic jamming that allows you to sail down a line of stationary
    traffic with ease.

    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  3. Tony Raven said:
    davek said:

    Smile number one:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Smile number two:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Smile number three:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Smile number four:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Smile number five:

    You've not yet found Smile number six then. The manoeuvrability when
    traffic jamming that allows you to sail down a line of stationary
    traffic with ease.

    Then Smile number seven when you pass the school gates and they all call out
    "cool bike mate".

    John B

  4. "John B" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Then Smile number seven when you pass the school gates and they all call
    out
    "cool bike mate".

    MTB tandems get more cred :-)

    cheers,
    clive

  5. Quoted message said:

    Smile number one: When I wheeled it on to the platform this morning I
    didn't start to fold until the train was already pulling in - and still
    managed to finish collapsing it down to that ever-so-neat little
    package before the train had stopped moving.

    First time I saw a Brompton fold in anger the train had just pulled in and
    the Railway bod yelled out in their charming way "oi, no bikes in that
    carriage" then stared in amazement as the bicycle appeared to dissolve in
    front of his eyes.

  6. John B said:

    Then Smile number seven when you pass the school gates and they all call out
    "cool bike mate".

    I find that "cool bike mate" when I'm on the move past a school at
    chucking out time has the unmistakable tinge of irony, /unless/
    they see The Fold in action, in which case it sounds rather more
    genuine!

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. Peter Clinch said:
    John B said:

    Then Smile number seven when you pass the school gates and they all
    call out "cool bike mate".

    I find that "cool bike mate" when I'm on the move past a school at
    chucking out time has the unmistakable tinge of irony, /unless/
    they see The Fold in action, in which case it sounds rather more
    genuine!

    A friend was asked whether he was learning, and if he'd get a proper big
    bike when he'd finished learning.

    However, mentioning that it has rear suspension also helps the "cool"
    factor....

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  8. Peter Clinch said:
    John B said:

    Then Smile number seven when you pass the school gates and they all call out
    "cool bike mate".

    I find that "cool bike mate" when I'm on the move past a school at
    chucking out time has the unmistakable tinge of irony,

    Try riding with your sack of coal ;-)

    John B

  9. Peter Clinch said:
    John B said:

    Then Smile number seven when you pass the school gates and they all call out
    "cool bike mate".

    I find that "cool bike mate" when I'm on the move past a school at
    chucking out time has the unmistakable tinge of irony, /unless/
    they see The Fold in action, in which case it sounds rather more
    genuine!

    We were riding the Pino past some yoofs.

    "Wicked bike mate"

    My reply of "Yes, it goes with my wicked wife" earnt me a clip round
    the ear from Mrs. Hall.

    Tim

  10. Nigel Cliffe said:
    Peter Clinch said:
    John B said:

    Then Smile number seven when you pass the school gates and they all
    call out "cool bike mate".

    I find that "cool bike mate" when I'm on the move past a school at
    chucking out time has the unmistakable tinge of irony, /unless/
    they see The Fold in action, in which case it sounds rather more
    genuine!

    A friend was asked whether he was learning, and if he'd get a proper big
    bike when he'd finished learning.

    However, mentioning that it has rear suspension also helps the "cool"
    factor....

    Extra large yellow skateboard wheels really help too :-)

    John B

  11. Mark Thompson said:
    Quoted message said:

    Smile number one: When I wheeled it on to the platform this morning I
    didn't start to fold until the train was already pulling in - and still
    managed to finish collapsing it down to that ever-so-neat little
    package before the train had stopped moving.

    First time I saw a Brompton fold in anger the train had just pulled in and
    the Railway bod yelled out in their charming way "oi, no bikes in that
    carriage" then stared in amazement as the bicycle appeared to dissolve in
    front of his eyes.

    I took the Dahon on the train last week. Helpful man in uniform
    "bikes go up the front ... oh, I see, OK", as the train pulled in
    and the bike folded. Bike of course went on the normal luggage rack.

    --
    not me guv

  12. In article <[email hidden]>, John B <[email hidden]>
    writes

    Quoted message said:

    Then Smile number seven when you pass the school gates and they all call out
    "cool bike mate".

    I thought so too, until a much younger than me work colleague, who also
    though sporadically cycled to work, took the wind out my sails somewhat
    when he commented 'folding bikes are so uncool'. Later I read a similar
    remark either in a lad's mag or Sunday supplement which listed things
    that were in and out. Must be true, then.

    Months earlier, the same colleague had said that my 20-year-old Evans
    looked 'really old fashioned'.

    --
    congokid
    Eating out in London? Read my tips...
    http://congokid.com

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,
    davek <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Smile number four: getting to show off the fold-unfold technique to my
    colleagues, who were all suitably impressed.

    I got a lot of that shortly after I bought mine in the summer of 2001,
    but I hear it less frequently these days as there appear to be about 10
    times more Bromptons around.

    --
    congokid
    Eating out in London? Read my tips...
    http://congokid.com

  14. congokid said:

    I thought so too, until a much younger than me work colleague, who also
    though sporadically cycled to work, took the wind out my sails somewhat
    when he commented 'folding bikes are so uncool'.

    I think you should direct him to Airnimal's website and ask if he still
    thinks that when he's looked at the Rhino and the Chameloen...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  15. In article <[email hidden]>, Peter Clinch
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    I think you should direct him to Airnimal's website and ask if he still
    thinks that when he's looked at the Rhino and the Chameloen...

    Never thought about that at the time, though since I have neither, that
    leaves me still desperately uncool.

    --
    congokid
    Eating out in London? Read my tips...
    http://congokid.com

  16. congokid said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, John B <[email hidden]>
    writes

    Quoted message said:

    Then Smile number seven when you pass the school gates and they all call out
    "cool bike mate".

    I thought so too, until a much younger than me work colleague, who also
    though sporadically cycled to work, took the wind out my sails somewhat
    when he commented 'folding bikes are so uncool'. Later I read a similar
    remark either in a lad's mag or Sunday supplement which listed things
    that were in and out. Must be true, then.

    Months earlier, the same colleague had said that my 20-year-old Evans
    looked 'really old fashioned'.

    My assistant cycle trainer today had a high-spec drop bar touring machine.
    The kids called it an old grandma's bike.

    John B

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.