General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

I hate electric ranges

Started by Stan Horwitz · · Last activity · 144 posts · 3,135 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 January 2006
Last activity
21 January 2006
Original author
Stan Horwitz
Posts
144
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,135
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 141–144 of 144
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. [email hidden] (Curly Sue) looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Michael \'Dog3\' Lonergan said:

    the house is next but I'm going to paint the guttering in the spring
    hoping to get another year out of it. This old house has strange
    windows that are no longer made. I have to have them specially made.
    I almost had a heart attack after the 2 estimates I got. WTF are
    cottage windows anyway...

    Windows with multiple panes (divided by muntins). New windows achieve
    a similar look with grilles. I feel your "pane," even worse. My old
    windows are steel. I love the look but they are not energy efficient!

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    Our windows are far from energy efficient but I will not change the look.
    I need to shop around some more to see what is out there. Steel windows
    would be horrendous to try and replace I would think. The windows add most
    of the charm to an otherwise boring exterior to our house. That and the
    gables and the garage doors that slide sideways instead of up and down.

    Michael

    --
    Pics aren't great but here are 2 of my 4 brats.
    Hoot about to [censored] the snack out of my mouth:
    http://tinypic.com/jtrw3o.jpg

    Ramsey ever curious about electronics breaking into the TMobile bag:
    http://tinypic.com/jtrwgn.jpg

  2. Curly Sue said:
    ~patches~ said:

    Curly Sue wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I realize that there are rich people who are frugal and my hat is off
    to you (if my dad were rich, that's the kind of rich person he'd be),
    although I have to admit that for me being rich would mean not having
    to worry about price or shopping for value. 🙂

    I also did my research, and watched and waited until the time was
    right for the range I wanted. But under normal conditions I can't
    imagine a Viking ever being on such a sale that I could afford one.

    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the Viking was going for around
    $800? At least that's what I thought someone on this thread said. At

    There was something else going on there; perhaps it was used. Viking
    is a high end stove. $5000 is more like it!

    I must have read it wrong. Still a nice looking stove. If it performs
    as well as it looks, the price might still be worth it.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    that price, it isn't too far off the norm price for other ranges with
    less features. I do understand the price drawback on these larger
    appliances though. We bought our Admiral range eons ago for something
    like $600. It was a real workhorse even though it wasn't self cleaning.
    Our Jenn Air in the end will likely end up costing us close to $2000
    but it is self cleaning, convection oven, and has a lot of extra
    features as well as flexibility.

    That's much less than the price of some of the premium stoves.

    Quoted message said:

    Now I expect *no problems* and it to
    be a workhorse as well as saving us money. We didn't buy it for looks!
    That's one of the problems with these higher end ranges - you really
    do need to do the research and if you are like us, you save & save until
    you can afford to buy.

    The question that I was originally responding to was "Why do rich
    people want Viking stoves in their kitchen."

    Probably because they can or want too 😉 My theory is that you don't
    really have to be rich to have these types of appliances. See, I love
    cooking. That is important to me. For that reason alone, I want top
    notch equipment that is dependable AND I don't like shopping so I want
    something that is going to give me years of troublefree service. If
    that is what is important to you, then you will find a way to do it 🙂

    Quoted message said:


    My guess is that they don't shop at clearance centers or wait for
    stoves to go on sale with favorable finance terms (like I did when I
    bought Darth). 🙂

    I'm guessing Darth is your stove 🙂 I never named my old stove but in
    hindsight, Charlie sounds like a good name. Nice, dependable, no
    repairs and just ready and willing. We don't believe in financing
    anything other than our home so we have to save and save in order to
    afford the nicer toys. It's worth it though especially if you don't
    mind wainting 🙂 You can get some really nice deals at the clearance
    centres.

    Quoted message said:


    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

  3. "Curly Sue" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 15:00:11 -0500, Bill <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    a quick Froogle check pulled up this price for the "mid-size"
    Viking...you gotta be a serious cook to buy one of these babies...
    http://store.yahoo.com/usappliance/36dualfuelra2.html

    how about some of you very serious cooks who use the Viking explain to
    us novice cooks some of the cooking tricks you can do with the Viking
    that we can't do with our $800 GE electric range?

    Bill

    Check this article about experiential marketing:

    http://tinyurl.com/cka36

    "What Viking is doing is marketing the experience, recognizing that no
    one in the world needs a Viking stove; they may want a Viking stove,
    but they don't need a Viking stove. They are evangelizing and creating
    their own market."

    Sue(tm)

    There is a very fine line between
    'wants' and 'needs' for some folks.
    Dee Dee

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bill said:

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 12:56:04 -0500, ~patches~
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    how about some of you very serious cooks who use the Viking explain to
    us novice cooks some of the cooking tricks you can do with the Viking
    that we can't do with our $800 GE electric range?

    Turn on the gas?

    :-)

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email hidden]
    Petaluma, California, USA

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.