General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

I hate canned tuna. Can that change?

Started by Cate · · Last activity · 71 posts · 1,557 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 October 2004
Last activity
5 November 2004
Original author
Cate
Posts
71
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,557
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 71
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. First, FTR, I do like fresh fish like salmon, catfish, rockfish, and
    sashimi.

    But I've always hated canned tuna, ever since childhood. I hate its cat
    food smell. But I realize that since the last time I tried it, tuna
    processing and packaging has changed.

    Now, in an effort to save some money, I'd like to experiment with
    canned/pouch tuna, but I don't want to totally waste my money without some
    guidance.

    Can anyone that relates to this guide me as to which brands aren't so cat
    food-like? What's albacore? Packed in oil or packed in water? Can or pouch?
    Is there any canned tuna that I can be fooled into thinking is fresh fish?

    Thanks,
    Cate

  2. Hey there Cate,
    Try albacore packed in water. It has less smell. Also, why not just buy one
    can and see if you like it? Not a big expenditure.
    Cheers.

    --
    Bear-
    Grrrrrrrrrrrr :o)
    353/289.5/210

    "Cate" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    First, FTR, I do like fresh fish like salmon, catfish, rockfish, and
    sashimi.

    But I've always hated canned tuna, ever since childhood. I hate its cat
    food smell. But I realize that since the last time I tried it, tuna
    processing and packaging has changed.

    Now, in an effort to save some money, I'd like to experiment with
    canned/pouch tuna, but I don't want to totally waste my money without some
    guidance.

    Can anyone that relates to this guide me as to which brands aren't so cat
    food-like? What's albacore? Packed in oil or packed in water? Can or


    pouch?

    Quoted message said:

    Is there any canned tuna that I can be fooled into thinking is fresh fish?

    Thanks,
    Cate

  3. "Bear" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hey there Cate,
    Try albacore packed in water. It has less smell.

    Ok, thanks.

    Also, why not just

    Quoted message said:

    buy one can and see if you like it? Not a big expenditure.

    I know tuna's really cheap--and I'm hoping to take advantage of that fact
    by training myself to like it. But my childhood-borne hatred of the smell
    of tuna is so strong that I fear trying a type/brand that's as bad as I
    remember, and not being able to stomach trying any other kind.

    Cate

  4. I understand. Unless you buy some really off brand, they're pretty much all
    the same. So I always buy the cheapest one. I'm interested in hearing what
    you think after you try it. I know I hated Brussels sprouts when I was a kid
    and now they're one of my favorites.
    --
    Bear-
    Grrrrrrrrrrrr :o)
    353/289.5/210

    "Cate" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Bear" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hey there Cate,
    Try albacore packed in water. It has less smell.

    Ok, thanks.

    Also, why not just

    Quoted message said:

    buy one can and see if you like it? Not a big expenditure.

    I know tuna's really cheap--and I'm hoping to take advantage of that fact
    by training myself to like it. But my childhood-borne hatred of the smell
    of tuna is so strong that I fear trying a type/brand that's as bad as I
    remember, and not being able to stomach trying any other kind.

    Cate

  5. Another good thing with canned tuna is LC cranberry sauce. Just mix 1/2
    cup cranberry sauce with one can drained tuna. May sound strange, but it's
    very good and would definitely hide any smell of the tuna (although I've
    never noticed that canned tuna HAS a smell). :-)

    Ignoramus21464 said:

    canned tuna tastes good with eggs and mayonnaise. You can also make
    soup with it. otherwise, I also find it not very edible.

    -----
    Bev

  6. Bev-Ann <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Another good thing with canned tuna is LC cranberry sauce. Just mix
    1/2 cup cranberry sauce with one can drained tuna. May sound strange,
    but it's very good and would definitely hide any smell of the tuna

    Now *that's* an interesting idea. For some reason I'm one of those that
    doesn't have a problem mixing fruit and meat (in theory), which to me is
    really funny given my avoidance of something as commonly accepted as tuna.

    Quoted message said:

    (although I've never noticed that canned tuna HAS a smell). :-)

    Oh, ye gads. I'll only offend if I start talking about it. <g>

    Cate

  7. "Bear" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I understand. Unless you buy some really off brand, they're pretty
    much all the same. So I always buy the cheapest one. I'm interested in
    hearing what you think after you try it.

    I'll report back when (if?) I get the courage.

    I know I hated Brussels

    Quoted message said:

    sprouts when I was a kid and now they're one of my favorites.

    Yes, the only reason I'm even able to think about trying it now is because
    of my discovery that I *love* sashimi tuna.

    And people's tastes really do change over time. I thought mushrooms were as
    terrible as it could get (except for liver and, of course, tuna fish) when
    I was a kid, and now I love them.

    Cate

  8. I don't particularly like fish so have to find ways to hide the taste.
    Another one of my favourite but strange combos is sole fillets covered in a
    can of tomato sauce and mozza cheese. Sort of "sole parmesan".
    And I have 3 cats. Trust me that canned tuna doesn't smell ANYTHING like
    their cat food. :-)

    Cate said:

    Now *that's* an interesting idea. For some reason I'm one of those that
    doesn't have a problem mixing fruit and meat (in theory), which to me is
    really funny given my avoidance of something as commonly accepted as tuna.

    -----
    Bev

  9. Bev-Ann <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I don't particularly like fish so have to find ways to hide the taste.
    Another one of my favourite but strange combos is sole fillets covered
    in a can of tomato sauce and mozza cheese. Sort of "sole parmesan".
    And I have 3 cats. Trust me that canned tuna doesn't smell ANYTHING
    like their cat food. :-)

    Dude, I've had cats for years, and I used to feed them canned food. That's
    all I'm gonna say about that. <g>

    When it comes to food, I'm hyper-sensitive to both smell and texture. Foods
    on the bad smell list (besides tuna): cucumbers, celery, black licorice.
    Foods on the bad texture list: beans or any kind of legumes except string
    beans, organ meats.

    It works the other way, too: Certain smells will trigger hunger pangs. I'm
    sure I'm lots of people join me with this list, though: Bacon, baking
    bread, garlic, certain red wines, fresh herbs.

    Cate

  10. I look at canned tuna as something other than fish really, as far as taste
    goes that is. It tastes nothing like any fish I have ever eaten. I find it
    much better packed in spring water and solid white is IMHO the best taste
    and texture. You can't compare canned tuna to fresh or frozen fish. And
    yes, they all smell like cat food. I put it on salads with dressing and
    sometimes make tuna patties, mixing in an egg, dill, and whatever else I may
    have laying around. They can fall apart pretty easy, but they are pretty
    good.

    Curt

    "Cate" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    First, FTR, I do like fresh fish like salmon, catfish, rockfish, and
    sashimi.

    But I've always hated canned tuna, ever since childhood. I hate its cat
    food smell. But I realize that since the last time I tried it, tuna
    processing and packaging has changed.

    Now, in an effort to save some money, I'd like to experiment with
    canned/pouch tuna, but I don't want to totally waste my money without some
    guidance.

    Can anyone that relates to this guide me as to which brands aren't so cat
    food-like? What's albacore? Packed in oil or packed in water? Can or


    pouch?

    Quoted message said:

    Is there any canned tuna that I can be fooled into thinking is fresh fish?

    Thanks,
    Cate

  11. I consider myself hyper-sensitive to smells and textures too, but you have
    some strange aversions. I'm totally with you on the licorice, but I love
    cucumbers. My bad textures are anything jiggly, like jello, oysters, raw
    liver (love it cooked, though), etc. I'd also add onions cooking and
    chocolate to the good smells.
    And I'm a dudette. :-)

    Cate said:

    Dude, I've had cats for years, and I used to feed them canned food. That's
    all I'm gonna say about that. <g>

    When it comes to food, I'm hyper-sensitive to both smell and texture. Foods
    on the bad smell list (besides tuna): cucumbers, celery, black licorice.
    Foods on the bad texture list: beans or any kind of legumes except string
    beans, organ meats.

    It works the other way, too: Certain smells will trigger hunger pangs. I'm
    sure I'm lots of people join me with this list, though: Bacon, baking
    bread, garlic, certain red wines, fresh herbs.

    -----
    Bev

  12. Cate said:

    But I've always hated canned tuna, ever since childhood. I hate its cat
    food smell. But I realize that since the last time I tried it, tuna
    processing and packaging has changed.

    I hate canned tuna too. Albacore is tolerable, but even then I have to
    smother it in gobs of mayonnaise and other seasonings to mask the taste of
    *any* tuna. I use tuna occasionally as it helps stretch the budget, and
    certainly not because it's my first choice ;-)

  13. If you have a Costco available, their Kirkland brand albacore packed in
    water is wonderful. My favorite way to make a salad with it is just chop
    some celery up into it and stir it up with ranch dressing. Serve on top of
    Romaine lettuce.

    In news:[email hidden],
    Cate <[email hidden]> stated
    | First, FTR, I do like fresh fish like salmon, catfish, rockfish, and
    | sashimi.
    |
    | But I've always hated canned tuna, ever since childhood. I hate its
    | cat food smell. But I realize that since the last time I tried it,
    | tuna processing and packaging has changed.
    |
    | Now, in an effort to save some money, I'd like to experiment with
    | canned/pouch tuna, but I don't want to totally waste my money without
    | some guidance.
    |
    | Can anyone that relates to this guide me as to which brands aren't so
    | cat food-like? What's albacore? Packed in oil or packed in water? Can
    | or pouch? Is there any canned tuna that I can be fooled into thinking
    | is fresh fish?
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Cate

  14. "Cate" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    First, FTR, I do like fresh fish like salmon, catfish, rockfish, and
    sashimi.

    But I've always hated canned tuna, ever since childhood. I hate its cat
    food smell. But I realize that since the last time I tried it, tuna
    processing and packaging has changed.

    Now, in an effort to save some money, I'd like to experiment with
    canned/pouch tuna, but I don't want to totally waste my money without some
    guidance.

    Can anyone that relates to this guide me as to which brands aren't so cat
    food-like? What's albacore? Packed in oil or packed in water? Can or
    pouch?
    Is there any canned tuna that I can be fooled into thinking is fresh fish?

    Thanks,
    Cate

    Get Tuna Fillets in Olive Oil - delicious straight out of the can! Progresso
    is good. Or get an imported Italian brand in Olive Oil.

  15. On 26 Oct 2004 13:24:37 GMT, Cate <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    First, FTR, I do like fresh fish like salmon, catfish, rockfish, and
    sashimi.

    But I've always hated canned tuna, ever since childhood. I hate its cat
    food smell. But I realize that since the last time I tried it, tuna
    processing and packaging has changed.

    Now, in an effort to save some money, I'd like to experiment with
    canned/pouch tuna, but I don't want to totally waste my money without some
    guidance.

    Can anyone that relates to this guide me as to which brands aren't so cat
    food-like? What's albacore? Packed in oil or packed in water? Can or pouch?
    Is there any canned tuna that I can be fooled into thinking is fresh fish?

    Thanks,
    Cate

    Canned tuna quality varies a lot even within brand. My only complaint
    other than somtimes getting a can of "bilge quality" tuna is that it
    is a little bland tasting. A little hot pepper sauce will add flavor
    to low fat meats and fish. The real hot sauces can be used sparingly
    to season your cooking pan. Capsicum the active ingredient in hot
    pepper sauces cooks out adding only a nice milder bouquet to the meat.

  16. Bev-Ann <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I consider myself hyper-sensitive to smells and textures too, but you
    have some strange aversions.

    Not the first time I've heard that.

    Quoted message said:

    And I'm a dudette. :-)

    With a name like Bev-Ann, I figured you were of the -ette variety, but I
    call everyone Dude. Though I actually do know a man named Beverly. Goes by
    Bev.

    Cate

  17. "curt" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:mUtfd.4308$Ae3.2832@trndny02:

    Quoted message said:

    You can't compare canned tuna to fresh or frozen fish. And
    yes, they all smell like cat food.

    Damn. I guess I was hoping some tuna miracle had occurred since last I ate
    it 25 years ago.

    Cate

  18. "FOB" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:jdufd.457$5z3.98
    @newssvr16.news.prodigy.com:

    Quoted message said:

    If you have a Costco available, their Kirkland brand albacore packed in
    water is wonderful.

    Aha. Costco is a first choice with some other foods we routinely eat (I
    highly recommend their ribeye steaks), so this hits home. I'll try it.
    Provided I don't have to buy a metric ton of it.

    Thanks,
    Cate

  19. "Dropped 30" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Get Tuna Fillets in Olive Oil - delicious straight out of the can!
    Progresso is good. Or get an imported Italian brand in Olive Oil.

    Huh, I'll have to check this out. Was watching a cooking show the other day
    (Everyday Italian with Giadia DiLaurentis) where she used these, I think,
    in a tomato sauce with capers--over gobs of pasta, of course. I was turned
    off by the combo of tuna and tomato, but I totally glossed over the fact
    she was using fillets packed in oil. Your post jogged my memory. Will look
    out for them.

    Cate

  20. Cate said:

    First, FTR, I do like fresh fish like salmon, catfish, rockfish, and
    sashimi.

    But I've always hated canned tuna, ever since childhood. I hate its cat
    food smell. But I realize that since the last time I tried it, tuna
    processing and packaging has changed.

    Now, in an effort to save some money, I'd like to experiment with
    canned/pouch tuna, but I don't want to totally waste my money without some
    guidance.

    Can anyone that relates to this guide me as to which brands aren't so cat
    food-like? What's albacore? Packed in oil or packed in water? Can or pouch?
    Is there any canned tuna that I can be fooled into thinking is fresh fish?

    Cate, I haven't read the other replies yet, so I may be repeating someone
    else's response. I buy white albacore SOLID (as opposed to chunk). The
    non-albacore chunk tuna seems to be pureed these days. Definitely cat
    food.

    Solid white albacore is probably the best ticket in town.

    Carol
    --
    "I'm a loner ... a rebel!"

    *Paul Reubens* in the 1985 movie, _Pee Wee's Big Adventure_

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.