Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

I found this one on ebay - whats it worth

Started by Ken Marcet · · Last activity · 23 posts · 730 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
8 November 2004
Last activity
11 November 2004
Original author
Ken Marcet
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
730
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. or should I just leave it where it is at?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7112440225&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

    I think it looks pretty good, Can I get a little feedback on this ride
    please?

    Ken

  2. Ken Marcet said:

    or should I just leave it where it is at?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7112440225&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

    I think it looks pretty good, Can I get a little feedback on this ride
    please?

    That's one of the cheapest, crummiest models ever to bear the Schwinn
    name. Made in Taiwan.

    Sheldon "Keep Looking" Brown
    +--------------------------------------------------------------+
    | No state has an inherent right to survive through |
    | conscript troops and, in the long run, no state ever has. |
    | --Robert A. Heinlein |
    +--------------------------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  3. Thanks for the feedback, I thought schwinn had a good reputation!

    "Sheldon Brown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ken Marcet said:

    or should I just leave it where it is at?


    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7112440225&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I think it looks pretty good, Can I get a little feedback on this ride
    please?

    That's one of the cheapest, crummiest models ever to bear the Schwinn
    name. Made in Taiwan.

    Sheldon "Keep Looking" Brown
    +--------------------------------------------------------------+
    | No state has an inherent right to survive through |
    | conscript troops and, in the long run, no state ever has. |
    | --Robert A. Heinlein |
    +--------------------------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ken Marcet said:

    Thanks for the feedback, I thought schwinn had a good reputation!

    Schwinn is a step up from Huffy or Columbia, but they have made a lot
    of garbage over the years.

  5. Well I bid $1.00 on it so well see if any one else bids on it, but if no one
    else does then it will only cost $41.00 with shipping!

    "do not spam" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ken Marcet said:

    Thanks for the feedback, I thought schwinn had a good reputation!

    Schwinn is a step up from Huffy or Columbia, but they have made a lot
    of garbage over the years.

  6. Ken Marcet said:

    Thanks for the feedback, I thought schwinn had a good reputation!

    In a kitsch sense, because they made the original balloon-tyre bombers
    that the Repack riders turned into the first MTBs.

  7. It's difficult to get a good idea of the bike's condition from the
    photos.
    The shifter levers are bent. The rear cogs appear worn, but I can't
    tell for sure. The components may still be usable but I don't think
    overall the bike is much of a prize. It looks good enough for
    low-speed around-town riding. I think the bike could be worth $60 or
    $75, but shipping is $40. So my max bid would be $35.

    r.b.

    "Ken Marcet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    or should I just leave it where it is at?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7112440225&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

    I think it looks pretty good, Can I get a little feedback on this ride
    please?

    Ken

  8. Well if I were to win this auction, and the cogs / gears in the rear wheel
    did turn out to be too worn, would I not be able to rebuild the rear wheel
    using somewhat more modern parts? With a new cassette and or hub?
    Ken

    "flatline" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's difficult to get a good idea of the bike's condition from the
    photos.
    The shifter levers are bent. The rear cogs appear worn, but I can't
    tell for sure. The components may still be usable but I don't think
    overall the bike is much of a prize. It looks good enough for
    low-speed around-town riding. I think the bike could be worth $60 or
    $75, but shipping is $40. So my max bid would be $35.

    r.b.

    "Ken Marcet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    or should I just leave it where it is at?


    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7112440225&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I think it looks pretty good, Can I get a little feedback on this ride
    please?

    Ken

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ken Marcet said:

    Well if I were to win this auction, and the cogs / gears in the rear wheel
    did turn out to be too worn, would I not be able to rebuild the rear wheel
    using somewhat more modern parts? With a new cassette and or hub?

    You can always find replacement parts, but they are not going to be real
    cheap. Why not just visit your local Goodwill or used bike shop and look
    for something that is rideable with no new parts.

  10. Well that would be the first option I tried, however there is nothing that
    fits the bill around here in the town I live in, the only thing I have seen
    was a beat up Murray that needed a fair amout of work for $25.00! Seemed to
    be a big rip off to me!

    "do not spam" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ken Marcet said:

    Well if I were to win this auction, and the cogs / gears in the rear


    wheel

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    did turn out to be too worn, would I not be able to rebuild the rear


    wheel

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    using somewhat more modern parts? With a new cassette and or hub?

    You can always find replacement parts, but they are not going to be real
    cheap. Why not just visit your local Goodwill or used bike shop and look
    for something that is rideable with no new parts.

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    or should I just leave it where it is at?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7112440225&ssPageName=


    STRK:MEWA:IT

    Quoted message said:


    I think it looks pretty good, Can I get a little feedback on this ride
    please?

    The starting price is about right. The cost of shipping will make the bike
    over priced.
    ----------------
    Alex

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ken Marcet said:

    "do not spam" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ken Marcet said:

    Well if I were to win this auction, and the cogs / gears in the rear


    wheel

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    did turn out to be too worn, would I not be able to rebuild the rear


    wheel

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    using somewhat more modern parts? With a new cassette and or hub?

    You can always find replacement parts, but they are not going to be real
    cheap. Why not just visit your local Goodwill or used bike shop and look
    for something that is rideable with no new parts.

    Quoted message said:

    Well that would be the first option I tried, however there is nothing that
    fits the bill around here in the town I live in, the only thing I have seen
    was a beat up Murray that needed a fair amout of work for $25.00! Seemed to
    be a big rip off to me!

    Replacing the freewheel on this bike will cost $10-20, depending on
    which new Shimano (or Sunrace) freewheel you buy (Sheldon says the Mega
    7 is a keeper). Replacement is a 10-minute job if you have the $10
    freewheel replacement tool, and the freewheel currently on the bike is a
    (not-original) Hyperglide 7-speed Shimano, so you won't need to delve
    into the dark world of two-prong removers or other ancient horrors.
    Change the chain if you change the freewheel.

    The problem isn't so much that any of these parts are pricey, it's just
    that this bike exists in the same realm of really cheap used cars: the
    value changes depending on how full the gas tank is.

    That said, this bike has aluminum rims, the shifters were upgraded to
    late-model indexed Shimanos (detectable by the black color and
    distinctive shape), though they seem to be mis-mounted or bent, and the
    tires are new, which is a notable plus.

    The brake levers look a mess: one missing "safety lever," chewed up
    rubber, but nothing fatal. The low-quality photos likely conceal as much
    as they reveal.

    I'm really cheap, but to my mind the shipping costs are most of a fair
    price of this bike (a perennial issue with buying low-end bikes on
    eBay). I would also ask the seller to measure the frame: centre of the
    BB spindle to the top of the top tube. I can't tell for sure, but it
    looks at least 54 cm to me, and possibly larger.

    But for the answer to your subject-line question, the value of this bike
    will be known to a high degree of accuracy in about four days.

    The price is what people will pay for it,
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com
    Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

  13. Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ken Marcet said:

    "do not spam" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ken Marcet said:

    Well if I were to win this auction, and the cogs / gears in the rear


    wheel

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    did turn out to be too worn, would I not be able to rebuild the rear


    wheel

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    using somewhat more modern parts? With a new cassette and or hub?

    You can always find replacement parts, but they are not going to be real
    cheap. Why not just visit your local Goodwill or used bike shop and look
    for something that is rideable with no new parts.

    Quoted message said:

    Well that would be the first option I tried, however there is nothing that
    fits the bill around here in the town I live in, the only thing I have seen
    was a beat up Murray that needed a fair amout of work for $25.00! Seemed to
    be a big rip off to me!

    Replacing the freewheel on this bike will cost $10-20, depending on
    which new Shimano (or Sunrace) freewheel you buy (Sheldon says the Mega
    7 is a keeper). Replacement is a 10-minute job if you have the $10
    freewheel replacement tool, and the freewheel currently on the bike is a
    (not-original) Hyperglide 7-speed Shimano, so you won't need to delve
    into the dark world of two-prong removers or other ancient horrors.
    Change the chain if you change the freewheel.

    The problem isn't so much that any of these parts are pricey, it's just
    that this bike exists in the same realm of really cheap used cars: the
    value changes depending on how full the gas tank is.

    That said, this bike has aluminum rims, the shifters were upgraded to
    late-model indexed Shimanos (detectable by the black color and
    distinctive shape), though they seem to be mis-mounted or bent, and the
    tires are new, which is a notable plus.

    The brake levers look a mess: one missing "safety lever," chewed up
    rubber, but nothing fatal. The low-quality photos likely conceal as much
    as they reveal.

    I'm really cheap, but to my mind the shipping costs are most of a fair
    price of this bike (a perennial issue with buying low-end bikes on
    eBay). I would also ask the seller to measure the frame: centre of the
    BB spindle to the top of the top tube. I can't tell for sure, but it
    looks at least 54 cm to me, and possibly larger.

    But for the answer to your subject-line question, the value of this bike
    will be known to a high degree of accuracy in about four days.

    The price is what people will pay for it,
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com
    Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

    Often with bikes of this age and price range, it may be beneficial to pick up two since you can pull parts of the second to equip the first-usually they have different bad parts. And often two or three replacement parts exceed the cost of another used bike.

    If the seller is amicable to local pickup, and you live proximate the seller, it may be a way to go. Often you can find sellers who've got a better fixed price-ones who ship more and live in urban areas. Sometimes, a nearby seller who is not operating off a flat shipping rate results in a lower shipping rate.

  14. Ken Marcet said:

    Well if I were to win this auction, and the cogs / gears in the rear wheel
    did turn out to be too worn, would I not be able to rebuild the rear wheel
    using somewhat more modern parts? With a new cassette and or hub?
    Ken

    Well, it's a freewheel in all liklihood. There are some still available.
    But in general this bike is not worth much. I wouldn't bother, personally.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand mathematics.
    _`\(,_ |
    (_)/ (_) |

  15. "Ken Marcet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    or should I just leave it where it is at?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7112440225&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

    I think it looks pretty good, Can I get a little feedback on this ride
    please?

    Ken: its a POS. If someone gave this to me for free its next stop would be
    to the curb in my hopes that someone would steal it.

    Telltale signs to avoid:

    - Stem mounted shifters
    - All steel derailleurs
    - Kickstand (yes! the single most consistently accurate indicator that a
    bike is landfill)
    - Rear derailleur is mounted on a frame adaptor claw - i.e. the frame does
    not have a derailleur mount
    - Non-aero brake levers
    - Brake levers have the "extenders" that were popular in the late 70's.
    Bike shops called these suicide levers. Dangerous! Good thing is that the
    right one is broken off.
    - Shiny steel crankset. Steel spider and rings. Low-end junk.
    - Matron seat.

    I see these bikes at yard sales every weekend. If you wait until the end of
    day Saturday, the sellers will generally gladly let you just take them for
    free. If it was worth the trouble...

  16. Quoted message said:

    Well I bid $1.00 on it so well see if any one else bids on it, but if no
    one
    else does then it will only cost $41.00 with shipping!

    It's not worth the shipping cost. Seriously, you could probably pick up a
    bike like that for $5 at a garage sale, if not free. The fact that the rear
    derailleur has been replaced is a bit of a caution flag, plus you'd have
    brake levers that you'd have a very difficult time getting replacement hoods
    for, and what does it say about the buyer that, in one of the photos, you
    can see that the shift levers are knocked way out of line from where they
    ought to be (no big thing to correct, but gives you pause about the rest of
    the bike).

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  17. Ken Marcet said:

    Thanks for the feedback, I thought schwinn had a good reputation!

    It does with the Paramount. 🙂

    --
    Mark Wolfe Lakeside, ca http://www.wolfenet.org
    gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71
    The FSF is not overly concerned about security. - FSF

  18. Mike Jacoubowsky said:

    > Well I bid $1.00 on it so well see if any one else bids on it, but if no

    Quoted message said:

    one
    else does then it will only cost $41.00 with shipping!

    It's not worth the shipping cost. Seriously, you could probably pick up a
    bike like that for $5 at a garage sale, if not free. The fact that the rear
    derailleur has been replaced is a bit of a caution flag, plus you'd have
    brake levers that you'd have a very difficult time getting replacement hoods
    for, and what does it say about the buyer that, in one of the photos, you
    can see that the shift levers are knocked way out of line from where they
    ought to be (no big thing to correct, but gives you pause about the rest of
    the bike).

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Why is replacement of rder a bad sign?

  19. The value of bikes seems to be higher in Austin.
    Here, there aren't any good bikes at Goodwill or Salvation Army. They
    are all POS and have asking prices of $20 to $40 with rusted chains,
    flatted and cracked tires, worn out wheel bearings, warped wheels, bad
    cranks, etc. When I buy, I offer a lower price and the manager will
    come down a bit. But anything that appears still rideable like this
    one, can go for a little higher price here. I call it the Lance
    effect.

    r.b.

    "Ken Marcet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Well that would be the first option I tried, however there is nothing that
    fits the bill around here in the town I live in, the only thing I have seen
    was a beat up Murray that needed a fair amout of work for $25.00! Seemed to
    be a big rip off to me!

    "do not spam" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ken Marcet said:

    Well if I were to win this auction, and the cogs / gears in the rear


    wheel

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    did turn out to be too worn, would I not be able to rebuild the rear


    wheel

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    using somewhat more modern parts? With a new cassette and or hub?

    You can always find replacement parts, but they are not going to be real
    cheap. Why not just visit your local Goodwill or used bike shop and look
    for something that is rideable with no new parts.

  20. Well seems to me that here if FL (small town) with mostly and elderly
    population what I have seen in the one Salvation Army Store is singlespeeds
    I was there maybe 1 week ago and they only had 1 ten speed ( a beat up
    Murray that needed a fair amout of work) and 3 single speeds. Guess the
    oldies can't do the multi gear thing.
    Ken

    "flatline" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The value of bikes seems to be higher in Austin.
    Here, there aren't any good bikes at Goodwill or Salvation Army. They
    are all POS and have asking prices of $20 to $40 with rusted chains,
    flatted and cracked tires, worn out wheel bearings, warped wheels, bad
    cranks, etc. When I buy, I offer a lower price and the manager will
    come down a bit. But anything that appears still rideable like this
    one, can go for a little higher price here. I call it the Lance
    effect.

    r.b.

    "Ken Marcet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Well that would be the first option I tried, however there is nothing


    that

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    fits the bill around here in the town I live in, the only thing I have


    seen

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    was a beat up Murray that needed a fair amout of work for $25.00! Seemed


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be a big rip off to me!

    "do not spam" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Ken Marcet <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >Well if I were to win this auction, and the cogs / gears in the rear


    wheel

    Quoted message said:

    >did turn out to be too worn, would I not be able to rebuild the rear


    wheel

    Quoted message said:

    >using somewhat more modern parts? With a new cassette and or hub?

    You can always find replacement parts, but they are not going to be


    real

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    cheap. Why not just visit your local Goodwill or used bike shop and


    look

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    for something that is rideable with no new parts.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.