Road Cycling · Public discussion

I fixed a bike today

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 10 posts · 387 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
4 November 2005
Last activity
5 November 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
387
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I fixed a bike today.

    Not my bike.

    And not something difficult to fix.

    In fact it only took me about 30 seconds.

    And seeing the astonishment come across the man's face let me know he'd
    been unsuccessfully fussing at it for a while.

    When I saw him he'd already given up and was walking the bike in the
    general direction of the beach muster point at the general time that we
    tend to be there with a bike that I immediately recognized as being not
    cheap. Even though I didn't know him, I stopped and asked him if he
    was having trouble.

    My guess had been flat tire. Had I guessed right I'd've gone up to the
    muster, grabbed the first person with a pump, and gone back. My
    general mechanical ineptitude coupled with the fact that I'm rarely
    more than a cab ride away from the bike shop has so far kept me from
    adding repair stuff to my kit.

    It was only a jumped chain.

    "It's nothing. Don't worry. And my son is up ahead, when I get there,
    he'll fix it."

    As he said this I was already off my bike and lifting it up over the
    curb and back down into the bike road. Giving the bike the once over I
    noticed it was a mountain bike with aero bars (I think that is the
    right name, the extra set of bars that stick out over the wheel) and an
    odometer mount without an odometer.

    It was a very familiar looking bike.

    And it wasn't his.

    He wasn't the sort to have a mountain bike with aero bars. More the
    work bike type but with an undefineable edge of noveau middle class.
    Someone who had a hard life a long time ago but hasn't had a hard life
    for a long time now. And although the bike obviously wasn't his, he
    didn't look like a thief either.

    Fearless Leader's mountain bike.

    Fearless Leader's dad.

    I fixed a bike belonging to the undisputed head of the group. And
    saved an old man from having to walk up to the beach and tell his son's
    friends (though from my clothing and bike he must have guessed I was
    one of his son's friends) that he'd broken his son's expensive mountain
    bike. The very non-Chinese very impulsive hug I got was one that came
    out of pure gratitude.

    Given the number of times other people have subtly adjusted my bike for
    me, and the number of times I'm back at the shop watching in awe as the
    mechanics do something so obviously simple for them and so totally
    impossible for me it was very nice to be on the other side of the
    equation for once.

    Of all the people whose bikes could have been borrowed and in need of
    repair as I was riding by, it was one of the ubers. The man who
    unclips one foot from his road bike, puts his leg up on the saddle, and
    pedals along one-legged, still faster than me, while going uphill, and
    maintaining a conversation (of which my end is mostly grunts and
    pants). I'm in awe of him. And I fixed his bike.

    Not that his dad is ever likely to admit to having first broke the bike
    and second having needed a girl to fix it for him. But I'll know.

    -M

  2. [email hidden] wrote:
    :>I fixed a bike today.

    [snip]

    You tell such nice stories.

  3. Roger Zoul said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    :>I fixed a bike today.

    Thanks for being a good soul. It doesn't happen enough.

  4. Quoted message said:
    Roger Zoul said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    :>I fixed a bike today.

    Thanks for being a good soul. It doesn't happen enough.

    I think that cyclists are more likely to help a stranded cyclist, then
    car drivers are likely to stop and help another motorist, other then
    maybe reporting a broken down car to the local radio station....

    W

  5. The Wogster said:


    Quoted message said:

    I think that cyclists are more likely to help a stranded cyclist, then
    car drivers are likely to stop and help another motorist, other then
    maybe reporting a broken down car to the local radio station....

    W

    I think you are right. It's also the case that it is more likely tht a
    cyclist can actually help (tubes, air, tools, etc) than is the case
    with motorist.

    Interestingly I keep a small electric pump and (auto) tire repair kit
    in my vehicle and have actually ben able to help folks.

  6. Group: rec.bicycles.misc Date: Fri, Nov 4, 2005, 6:22pm From:
    [email hidden] (The Wogster)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Roger Zoul said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    I fixed a bike today.


    Thanks for being a good soul. It doesn't
    happen enough.


    I think that cyclists are more likely to
    help a stranded cyclist, then car drivers
    are likely to stop and help another
    motorist, other then maybe reporting a
    broken down car to the local radio
    station....

    Quoted message said:

    W

    You tried fixing a car lately? You just about need a PhD. I might give
    em a ride, or call someone on my C/B/ (remember those?). but other than
    changing the oil or checking fluid levels. there isn't much one can do
    without a $100,000 computerized diagnostic whatsis thing.

    - -

    Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    "May you have the winds at your back,
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  7. Ron Johnson said:

    <The very non-Chinese very impulsive hug I got was one that came
    <out of pure gratitude.

    Did he ask you out after he hugged you?

    No.

    -M

  8. The Wogster said:
    Quoted message said:
    Roger Zoul said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    :>I fixed a bike today.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for being a good soul. It doesn't happen enough.

    Quoted message said:

    I think that cyclists are more likely to help a stranded cyclist, then
    car drivers are likely to stop and help another motorist, other then
    maybe reporting a broken down car to the local radio station....

    In any hobbyist community members of that community are more likely to
    help each other.

    Anyone riding on the beach road in that direction at that time of day
    is either one of us or someone returning to one of the fishing villages
    farther out.

    I'm not sure what I would have done if it had been a random person some
    other place in the city, but, a glance at the bike would have told me
    that he was either one of us or riding something stolen.

    People who aren't "us" might be riding that particular model of
    mountain bike but it wouldn't have collected that particular set of
    modifications unless owned by an "us" instead of a "them".

    -M

  9. <The very non-Chinese very impulsive hug I got was one that came
    <out of pure gratitude.

    Did he ask you out after he hugged you?

  10. Chris Zacho The Wheelman said:

    Group: rec.bicycles.misc Date: Fri, Nov 4, 2005, 6:22pm From:
    [email hidden] (The Wogster)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Roger Zoul wrote:

    >[email hidden] wrote:
    >I fixed a bike today.

    Thanks for being a good soul. It doesn't
    happen enough.

    I think that cyclists are more likely to
    help a stranded cyclist, then car drivers
    are likely to stop and help another
    motorist, other then maybe reporting a
    broken down car to the local radio
    station....

    Quoted message said:

    W

    You tried fixing a car lately? You just about need a PhD. I might give
    em a ride, or call someone on my C/B/ (remember those?). but other than
    changing the oil or checking fluid levels. there isn't much one can do
    without a $100,000 computerized diagnostic whatsis thing.

    Which is probably going to do more to kill the automobile, then gas
    prices or traffic. Eventually the only automobile mechanics around will
    be dealers, because they are the only ones who can buy the equipment,
    and they will really start to jack up the repair rates then. Why make
    $75/hr when you can make $150/hr because you don't have any real
    competition......

    As for the bicycle, it's mechanically simple, and about 90% of repairs
    can be done with less then $50 worth of tools.....

    W

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.