Road Cycling · Public discussion

I am buying too much

Started by Maggie · · Last activity · 13 posts · 366 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
3 November 2004
Last activity
4 November 2004
Original author
Maggie
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
366
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Dear Bicycles.misc
    OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike
    shop to look at things. This is not good considering my favorite
    hobby was always spending money. I blame this newsgroup.....you are
    way too happy cycling. You are very passionate about the sport. You
    are way too friendly to newbies. You share your love of cycling. You
    put up with my posts. You are friendly and encouraging. YOU TERRIBLE
    PEOPLE YOU!!!! Now I am going to go broke. (But I may be healthy.)
    Healthy and broke.
    Peace
    http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Maggie said:

    OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike
    shop to look at things.

    Compared to a lot of other sports, cycling is cheap. You don't have to
    pay entrance fees or buy gas, etc. A new bike can be pricey, but it
    lasts a long time (possibly your lifetime). The only parts that wear
    out frequently are the tires and chain, but they can be cheap if you
    don't want the very best. If you hand wash your clothes, they will
    usually drip-dry overnight so you can use them again the next day.

  3. Maggie said:

    Dear Bicycles.misc
    OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike
    shop to look at things. This is not good considering my favorite
    hobby was always spending money. I blame this newsgroup.....you are
    way too happy cycling. You are very passionate about the sport. You
    are way too friendly to newbies. You share your love of cycling. You
    put up with my posts. You are friendly and encouraging. YOU TERRIBLE
    PEOPLE YOU!!!! Now I am going to go broke. (But I may be healthy.)
    Healthy and broke.

    So what's your point?

    ;-)

    Bill "shaddup and spend" S.

  4. "Maggie" wrote: (clip) This is not good considering my favorite hobby was
    always spending money. (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    So this is nothing new. The only difference is that now you are doing
    something wholesome with your "wasted" money. Just don't be like me, and
    shift your emphasis away from riding and onto spending. :-) (i.e., "I
    could go for a ride this afternoon, or go the the LBS."😉 At least, RIDE to
    the LBS.

  5. "Maggie" < wrote ...

    Quoted message said:

    Dear Bicycles.misc
    OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike
    shop to look at things. This is not good considering my favorite
    hobby was always spending money. I blame this newsgroup.....you are
    way too happy cycling. You are very passionate about the sport. You
    are way too friendly to newbies. You share your love of cycling. You
    put up with my posts. You are friendly and encouraging. YOU TERRIBLE
    PEOPLE YOU!!!! Now I am going to go broke. (But I may be healthy.)
    Healthy and broke.
    Peace


    As one of the regulars on uk.rec.cycling likes to say, "One can never spend
    too much money on bicycles, or have too many bicycles". Not sure if I got
    the wording right, but that was the general idea of her statement.
    --
    mark

  6. do not spam said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Maggie

    Quoted message said:

    OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike shop
    to look at things.

    Compared to a lot of other sports, cycling is cheap.

    Well, except for the medical expenses running is cheaper.
    Basketball is cheaper, but you need a team, or at least someone to go
    1-on-1 with. Cycling, you can do by yourself, though it is more fun with
    others.

    Horseback riding is a lot more, as is golf. Tennis is probably comparable
    in price to cycling, maybe cheaper if you have free access to courts, but
    you can't use your tennis racket for commuting to work. Skiing costs
    buckets more and you have to wait until there is snow. Even working out
    at the gym, which is not even a sport, costs more over the long run.
    Besides, it's boring.

    Quoted message said:

    pay entrance fees or buy gas, etc. A new bike can be pricey, but it
    lasts a long time (possibly your lifetime). The only parts that wear
    out frequently are the tires and chain, but they can be cheap if you
    don't want the very best.

    Well, I'd say that paying more for such things does not mean you get
    better. The difference in the prices for SRAM chains is based on finish
    (how shiny the outside is), not performance. Their cheapest chain works
    as well and lasts as long as their most-expensive chain. Tires are
    similar; there are $25 tires that last longer and have less rolling
    resistance than $50 tires.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
    _`\(,_ | mathematics.
    (_)/ (_) |

  7. Maggie said:

    Dear Bicycles.misc
    OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike
    shop to look at things.

    The big sale at Tempe Bicycles a week ago kind of cured me
    of this. I caught up almost completely on my wish-list
    and got a half-dozen things I never knew I wanted until they
    were 60% off.

    Now I just want an Arizona flag design jersey (TB didn't
    have any) and a Catey CC-TR100 computer (which at this
    point is vaporware). Maybe some 27" foldup tires.

    Oh, and either a Serrota or a Bianchi. But I'm not ready
    to divorce my Holdsworth (I just put all those goodies on
    it) and part with $3-8k yet, so that'll stay back-burnered.

    Quoted message said:

    This is not good considering my favorite
    hobby was always spending money. I blame this newsgroup.....you are
    way too happy cycling. You are very passionate about the sport. You
    are way too friendly to newbies. You share your love of cycling. You
    put up with my posts. You are friendly and encouraging. YOU TERRIBLE
    PEOPLE YOU!!!! Now I am going to go broke. (But I may be healthy.)
    Healthy and broke.
    Peace
    http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

    Um, it's your turn to pull.

    --Blair
    "The peloton, I mean. Go faster."

  8. do not spam said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Maggie said:

    OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike
    shop to look at things.

    Compared to a lot of other sports, cycling is cheap. You don't have to
    pay entrance fees or buy gas, etc. A new bike can be pricey, but it
    lasts a long time (possibly your lifetime). The only parts that wear
    out frequently are the tires and chain, but they can be cheap if you
    don't want the very best. If you hand wash your clothes, they will
    usually drip-dry overnight so you can use them again the next day.

    I toss mine in the washer and start it as soon as I enter
    from the garage. Cold water, about an ounce of liquid
    detergent, let it spin, hang it on the railing to dry out,
    no dripping involved.

    Spandex is virtually indestructible under designed usage.
    Some of my stuff easily has over 10K miles on it, and
    still feels like new after 12 years in the closet.

    --Blair
    "I want my next car upholstered in it."

  9. Blair P. Houghton said:

    I toss mine in the washer and start it as soon as I enter
    from the garage. Cold water, about an ounce of liquid
    detergent, let it spin, hang it on the railing to dry out,
    no dripping involved.

    What a selfish waste of resources (water & electricity). Wait till you
    have a full load, for Mother's sake.

    Quoted message said:

    Spandex is virtually indestructible under designed usage.
    Some of my stuff easily has over 10K miles on it, and
    still feels like new after 12 years in the closet.

    It's time for you to come OUT of the closet, Blair.

    Bill "too easy to pass up" S.

  10. Maggie said:

    OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike
    shop to look at things. This is not good considering my favorite
    hobby was always spending money. I blame this newsgroup.....you are
    way too happy cycling.

    A few tips:

    - Don't take credit or transaction cards to the shop. Stick with cash.
    You'll be able to bargain for better discounts, too :-)

    - Ride so much that you don't have so much time to spend at the shop.

    - Frequent shops that are a long way away.

    --
    bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

  11. [email hidden] (Maggie) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Dear Bicycles.misc
    OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike
    shop to look at things. This is not good considering my favorite
    hobby was always spending money. I blame this newsgroup.....you are
    way too happy cycling. You are very passionate about the sport. You
    are way too friendly to newbies. You share your love of cycling. You
    put up with my posts. You are friendly and encouraging. YOU TERRIBLE
    PEOPLE YOU!!!! Now I am going to go broke. (But I may be healthy.)
    Healthy and broke.
    Peace


    No! No! N! Remember, you're going to start commuting to work by
    bicycle 🙂 Right there you are going to be 'saving' money at least on
    gas. If your family has more than one car, you might even find that
    you can get rid of one since most commuters' cars spend most of their
    life in the driveway or the parking lot. Think of one less car
    payment, one less insurance payment, fewer gas bills ....

    Even with all those nice shiny babbles in the LBS (I do like that
    Louis Garneau jersey 🙁 sigh) you probably can SAVE money in the
    longer term

    Happy riding
    John Kane
    Perth ON Canada

  12. In article <[email hidden]>, JRKRideau says...

    Quoted message said:

    No! No! N! Remember, you're going to start commuting to work by
    bicycle 🙂 Right there you are going to be 'saving' money at least on
    gas.

    Yes you will save money on gas but you will eat more. It is not clear that
    there will be a net savings.

    Also bike parts do not last as many miles as car parts. A $20 bike tire is good
    for 2000 miles, a $80 car tire for 80000 miles, one-tenth the cost per mile.

  13. B i l l S o r n s o n said:
    Blair P. Houghton said:

    I toss mine in the washer and start it as soon as I enter
    from the garage. Cold water, about an ounce of liquid
    detergent, let it spin, hang it on the railing to dry out,
    no dripping involved.

    What a selfish waste of resources (water & electricity). Wait till you
    have a full load, for Mother's sake.

    Clean shorts are never a waste of anything. And I can
    afford both the water and the juice. You don't like
    it? Tough [censored], hippie.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Spandex is virtually indestructible under designed usage.
    Some of my stuff easily has over 10K miles on it, and
    still feels like new after 12 years in the closet.

    It's time for you to come OUT of the closet, Blair.

    Bill "too easy to pass up" S.

    You find it too easy to pass up a ridiculous non sequitur?

    I suggest you ride more and post less. You'll hurt yourself
    less when you fall that way.

    --Blair
    "Now say something stupider, so
    we can laugh at you again."

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.