General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Hydration after a day in the hills.

Started by Tony Gent · · Last activity · 27 posts · 711 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
27 October 2004
Last activity
29 October 2004
Original author
Tony Gent
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
711
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was thinking the other day after returning from the hills, if having a
    bath will help hydration. I always have a bath after a day in the hills,
    mainly to relief my aching legs. But will having a bath kill two birds with
    one stone?

    Tony

  2. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:


    I was thinking the other day after returning from the hills, if having a
    bath will help hydration. I always have a bath after a day in the hills,
    mainly to relief my aching legs. But will having a bath kill two birds with
    one stone?

    Billy soy!
    --
    I try to be a good example to my children, but they just see me
    as a dire warning.

  3. Tony Gent said:

    I was thinking the other day after returning from the hills, if having a
    bath will help hydration. I always have a bath after a day in the hills,
    mainly to relief my aching legs. But will having a bath kill two birds with
    one stone?

    I think drinking a big glass of water while you are in the bath would
    be rather more effective than relying on cellular diffusion.
    --
    Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
    Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
    please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
    Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.

  4. Tony Gent said:


    I was thinking the other day after returning from the hills, if having a
    bath will help hydration. I always have a bath after a day in the hills,
    mainly to relief my aching legs. But will having a bath kill two birds with
    one stone?


    Not unless you drink it.
    Water on the hill. Whisky or Stella when you get back. No aches.
    Or, if you are unlucky and manage to hurt your muscles, get her
    indoors to massage them with very warm sandalwood amber tamanu massage
    oil.

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  5. "Paul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tony Gent said:


    I was thinking the other day after returning from the hills, if having a
    bath will help hydration. I always have a bath after a day in the hills,
    mainly to relief my aching legs. But will having a bath kill two birds
    with
    one stone?


    Not unless you drink it.
    Water on the hill. Whisky or Stella when you get back. No aches.
    Or, if you are unlucky and manage to hurt your muscles, get her
    indoors to massage them with very warm sandalwood amber tamanu massage
    oil.

    Black Pepper oil makes a very good massage for aching muscles - but whatever
    you do, DO NOT put it in the bath!!

    druidh

  6. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:


    "Paul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tony Gent said:


    I was thinking the other day after returning from the hills, if having a
    bath will help hydration. I always have a bath after a day in the hills,
    mainly to relief my aching legs. But will having a bath kill two birds
    with
    one stone?


    Not unless you drink it.
    Water on the hill. Whisky or Stella when you get back. No aches.
    Or, if you are unlucky and manage to hurt your muscles, get her
    indoors to massage them with very warm sandalwood amber tamanu massage
    oil.

    Black Pepper oil makes a very good massage for aching muscles - but whatever
    you do, DO NOT put it in the bath!!

    Why not?
    --
    "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably
    the day
    that they start making vacuum cleaners."--Doc in alt.privacy

  7. On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:51:00 +0100, Paul <[email hidden]> wrote:

    | On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:17:40 GMT, "Tony Gent"
    | <[email hidden]> wrote:
    |
    | >
    | >I was thinking the other day after returning from the hills, if having a
    | >bath will help hydration. I always have a bath after a day in the hills,
    | >mainly to relief my aching legs. But will having a bath kill two birds with
    | >one stone?
    | >
    | Not unless you drink it.
    | Water on the hill. Whisky or Stella when you get back.

    Not a good idea for rehydration. Alcohol in any form is a diuretic, so you
    ?lose? more water than contained in the drink.

    --
    Dave F

  8. Paul said:

    Or, if you are unlucky and manage to hurt your muscles, get her
    indoors to massage them with very warm sandalwood amber tamanu massage
    oil.

    Since the other half is "her /out/doors" it seems it's me doing the
    massaging a lot of the time. Arnica oil is the preferred weapon for
    aching muscles.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  9. Dave Fawthrop said:

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:51:00 +0100, Paul <[email hidden]> wrote:

    | On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:17:40 GMT, "Tony Gent"
    | <[email hidden]> wrote:
    |
    | >
    | >I was thinking the other day after returning from the hills, if having a
    | >bath will help hydration. I always have a bath after a day in the hills,
    | >mainly to relief my aching legs. But will having a bath kill two birds with
    | >one stone?
    | >
    | Not unless you drink it.
    | Water on the hill. Whisky or Stella when you get back.

    Not a good idea for rehydration. Alcohol in any form is a diuretic, so you
    ?lose? more water than contained in the drink.

    That's why you drink water on the hill. Then you don't get dehydrated.
    The whisky/Stella when you get back home is not for hydration, it's to
    enhance the day's pleasure. Better still, don't go home after the
    walk. Go straight to the pub.

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  10. Peter Clinch said:
    Paul said:

    Or, if you are unlucky and manage to hurt your muscles, get her
    indoors to massage them with very warm sandalwood amber tamanu massage
    oil.

    Since the other half is "her /out/doors" it seems it's me doing the
    massaging a lot of the time.

    That's also therapeutic!

    Quoted message said:

    Arnica oil is the preferred weapon for
    aching muscles.

    I've not tried it, but I believe it's good for all kinds of aches and
    pains.

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  11. Paul said:

    I've not tried it, but I believe it's good for all kinds of aches and
    pains.

    I know the Medical School's first aid trainer and he carries arnica
    tablets for bruising, and he reports Tayside MRT do as well (or at least
    members thereof).
    I dislocated my thumb skiing a couple of years ago, not badly (the
    tendons had pulled it back into place in a few minutes, but it still
    hurt!) and with liberal application of arnica oil over the rest of the
    week provided by a friend and lots of ice (no shortage if you're skiing,
    of course) there was very little swelling or further discomfort. I
    didn't feel inclined to running a control experiment with the other
    thumb so can of course not be sure it was a Big Help, but it struck
    everyone at the time that had seen my hands differently shaped that
    there was remarkably little swelling for the bump it had taken.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  12. Peter Clinch said:
    Paul said:

    I've not tried it, but I believe it's good for all kinds of aches and
    pains.

    I know the Medical School's first aid trainer and he carries arnica
    tablets for bruising, and he reports Tayside MRT do as well (or at least
    members thereof).
    I dislocated my thumb skiing a couple of years ago, not badly (the
    tendons had pulled it back into place in a few minutes, but it still
    hurt!) and with liberal application of arnica oil over the rest of the
    week provided by a friend and lots of ice (no shortage if you're skiing,
    of course) there was very little swelling or further discomfort. I
    didn't feel inclined to running a control experiment with the other
    thumb so can of course not be sure it was a Big Help, but it struck
    everyone at the time that had seen my hands differently shaped that
    there was remarkably little swelling for the bump it had taken.

    Pete.

    We saw plenty of the flowers in the alps in August. We planned a
    leisurely day, after four or five really strenuous walks, so we went
    on what was described as a 4 hour nature walk with a local nature
    guide, assuming it would be a valley stroll, looking at the flora and
    fauna. In fact it turned into an 8 hour high level hike, and the guy -
    an excellent companion and superb walker - knew very little about
    nature:
    Us: What's that then?
    Willi: No idea. Pick it and we'll look it up later.
    Us: Pick it?
    Willi: Sure. There are lots of them.

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  13. * The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
    * of violets, as Paul <[email hidden]> descended on a shaft
    * of golden sunlight, and announced:

    Quoted message said:

    Or, if you are unlucky and manage to hurt your muscles, get her
    indoors to massage them with very warm sandalwood amber tamanu massage
    oil.

    Or as a ex collegue of mine used to say "A rub down with 'The Sporting Life'"!

    Regards: Jim Ford

  14. In article <[email hidden]>, Tony Gent
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    I was thinking the other day after returning from the hills, if having a
    bath will help hydration. I always have a bath after a day in the hills,
    mainly to relief my aching legs. But will having a bath kill two birds with
    one stone?

    Tony

    Weigh yourself before and after the bath. If you absorb any water you
    should weigh heavier after. QED
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  15. Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from the wonderful
    person W. D. Grey <[email hidden]> said

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Tony Gent
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    I was thinking the other day after returning from the hills, if having a
    bath will help hydration. I always have a bath after a day in the hills,
    mainly to relief my aching legs. But will having a bath kill two birds with
    one stone?

    Weigh yourself before and after the bath. If you absorb any water you
    should weigh heavier after. QED

    Strange as it may seem, I've actually tried that with my nifty digital
    scales, and I pick up ~200g (0.2 Kg) having a shower- however all of it
    goes away again when I dry my hair. 8>.

    Drinking 440 Mls of Strongbow cider puts it up by 0.44Kg, and it doesn't
    go away until ... nah, we don't want to go there ..

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Outgoing Msgs are Turing Tested,and indistinguishable from human typing.

  16. In article <[email hidden]>, GSV Three Minds in a Can
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Strange as it may seem, I've actually tried that with my nifty digital
    scales, and I pick up ~200g (0.2 Kg) having a shower- however all of it
    goes away again when I dry my hair. 8>.

    I don't think Mr Rooney has that problem -does he?....;-)
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  17. W. D. Grey <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Tony Gent
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    I was thinking the other day after returning from the hills, if having a
    bath will help hydration. I always have a bath after a day in the hills,
    mainly to relief my aching legs. But will having a bath kill two birds with
    one stone?

    Weigh yourself before and after the bath. If you absorb any water you
    should weigh heavier after. QED

    IME, a bath after returning from the hills tends to reduce weight,
    depending on how much mud is attached.
    --
    Gordon

  18. W. D. Grey said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, GSV Three Minds in a Can
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Strange as it may seem, I've actually tried that with my nifty digital
    scales, and I pick up ~200g (0.2 Kg) having a shower- however all of it
    goes away again when I dry my hair. 8>.

    I don't think Mr Rooney has that problem -does he?....;-)

    Ha ha! This is true, Bill!

    One of these days I'll get around to finding that photo of me with
    shoulder length hair and cheesecloth shirt, and post it for your
    amusement.

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  19. GSV Three Minds in a Can <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    Strange as it may seem, I've actually tried that with my nifty digital
    scales,

    Tanita?

    Quoted message said:

    and I pick up ~200g (0.2 Kg) having a shower- however all of it
    goes away again when I dry my hair. 8>.

    Drinking 440 Mls of Strongbow cider puts it up by 0.44Kg, and it doesn't
    go away until ... nah, we don't want to go there ..


    Oh but we have, haven't we? :-)

    Do you check % body fat, and do you get an interesting fuctulation from
    morning to night?

    Mine will start at 25/26% in the morning, falling to 20/21 by bedtime.

    I attribute it mainly to the hydration/dehydration changing.
    --
    Gordon


  20. Quoted message said:

    One of these days I'll get around to finding that photo of me with
    shoulder length hair and cheesecloth shirt, and post it for your
    amusement.

    Just had mine cut.. Never had a cheesecloth.....

    As I am about to encounter "the enemy" for the first time on Tuesday ,
    I needed to smarten myself self up a bit.

    Richard Webb

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.