I am going by what Dave told me in some past emails but he explained that a +3 slope is a nice slope which will not kill you but will definitely increase your fitness. I believe he said that once you reach a +7 most people experience burnout. I have been in the +3 to +5 area.
The tricky part im my experience with CTL is that it really lends itself well to people who want to put in the endurance miles. Now as Dave told me that is not the point of power training, you want CTL but not at the cost of loosing hitting your numbers during the intervals. This is where I had to find balance...
One of the reasons I asked if you can commute to work is that for me, I put in 90 minutes on a given day, hit my interval numbers and than my 40 minute recovery pace at about a 150 for my commute gives me that little edge to push my up like 30-50 TSS points which add up over a week.
I know it may be tough but for me I have found 2 hours on training day and 1 hour on non-training days to really be the sweet spot...if you can do that and on weekends get in the one longer ride you are speaking of than you will see that CTL rise pretty nicely. But remember do not sacrafice your interval output for CTL, you need to find your balance. 20 minute intervals or higher are aerobic and will build CTL.
Eventually you will hit that ceiling where because of personal reasons(time, vacation, sickness) CTL will max out for you as you need more time to get that TSS to go higher or you want to start doing more higher end training like VO2 and L5 and above. That type of training will definitely hurt your CTL as when done right should knock you out quickly.
You want to get faster...increase your FTP...but you are alot like me and first you need to build that aerobic engine and than work on higher end systems. BTW, I always agree with Dave...😄 and take his advice over mine any day of the week.
-js
ruleof72 said:Yes, I have the book, I just haven't read it in a while and thinking about it I do recall the HOP in the book. It is all coming back to me now:o
I have been on and off the bike for the last few months fighting some ankle tendinitis. It's much better now and I am ready to increase my training. Needless to say I didn't get in all the training I wanted over the Winter. My current CTL is right at 50, ATL is 57 and my last few weeks TSS has been in the 400-450 range. That includes one "big" ride a week and 3-4 smaller rides. I want to get the most out of my training and build my fitness without over reaching or injuring myself. I know that in a perfect world my CTL should be higher than it is before hoping to do a "hard" century. So, given that, what kind of CTL ramp rate can I safely shoot for? Is it +3 like you are doing? If so I could probably get that done with a little more focus on 1-2 of the rides each week (especially if I did them on the trainer) as well as extending the long rides a little bit each time I do them.
I agree with what Dave said re: doing longer rides in that alot of it is being able to stay on the bike for extended periods along with proper nutrition. I have found that if I take in 300-400 calories each hour on rides over 2 hours, along with proper hydration and pacing, I am able to go as long as my butt will let me! Getting faster over that same distance is the hard part and that's what I want to improve.