Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

? How to Change MTB Rings/Cogs for Road Riding

Started by Hkek · · Last activity · 10 posts · 880 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 August 2003
Last activity
7 August 2003
Original author
Hkek
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
880
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've got a Shimano drivetrain with the standard chainring set
    (42/32/22) and a 7 speed cassette. In the flats, I ride in the big ring and small cog; however, on
    descents I don't have a high enough gear ratio such that I can pedal to accelerate and
    maintain speed.

    Is it a simple matter to put road rings a MTB crankset? Would that require a new derailleur? Would
    the derailleur work with the MTB shifter? I don't imagine that I can get cogs much smaller. Thanks
    in advance for your help.

  2. HKEK said:

    Is it a simple matter to put road rings a MTB crankset? Would that require a new derailleur? Would
    the derailleur work with the MTB

    I think you'll find that you at least need a new derailleur. I don't know if it will work with
    your shifter.

    Quoted message said:

    shifter? I don't imagine that I can get cogs much smaller. Thanks in advance for your help.

    My mountain bike has a 7-speed 11-34 cassette. I got it at my LBS. I think it's a Shimano, but it
    may be a SRAM. It says "Mega-range" on it.

    How small is your smallest?

    --
    Rick Onanian

  3. "HKEK" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've got a Shimano drivetrain with the standard chainring set
    (42/32/22) and a 7 speed cassette. In the flats, I ride in the big ring and small cog; however, on
    descents I don't have a high enough gear ratio such that I can pedal to accelerate and
    maintain speed.

    Is it a simple matter to put road rings a MTB crankset? Would that require a new derailleur? Would
    the derailleur work with the MTB shifter? I don't imagine that I can get cogs much smaller. Thanks
    in advance for your help.

    You won't be able to put road rings on your crankset as they use a different bolt pattern (130 to
    your 110). You can, however, get 110 rings that are larger than what you have. Perhaps a 46 tooth or
    48 tooth would do the trick. A 48 would probably require a new deraileur but you can probably get
    away with the 46. As suggested, a cassette with an 11 tooth small cog might help depending on what
    you've got now.

    Rob Strickland

  4. "Robert Strickland" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "HKEK" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've got a Shimano drivetrain with the standard chainring set
    (42/32/22) and a 7 speed cassette. In the flats, I ride in the big ring and small cog; however,
    on descents I don't have a high enough gear ratio such that I can pedal to accelerate
    and maintain speed.

    Is it a simple matter to put road rings a MTB crankset? Would that require a new derailleur?
    Would the derailleur work with the MTB shifter? I don't imagine that I can get cogs much
    smaller. Thanks in advance for your help.

    You won't be able to put road rings on your crankset as they use a


    different

    Quoted message said:

    bolt pattern (130 to your 110). You can, however, get 110 rings that are larger than what you
    have. Perhaps a 46 tooth or 48 tooth would do the trick. A 48 would probably require a new
    deraileur but you can probably


    get

    Quoted message said:

    away with the 46. As suggested, a cassette with an 11 tooth small cog


    might

    Quoted message said:

    help depending on what you've got now.

    Cambria has 46T chainrings in 94 and 110 size for 15 bucks. However, it might be a good idea to also
    step up the middle chainring too, if the bike is ridden mainly on roads at higher speeds.

    The front derailleur may have to be replaced, or at the very least, it will have to be moved up to
    accommodate the larger chainring. How is the front derailleur mounted?

    Unless you are careful shifting, you may need a longer chain. How old is the one you have now? Maybe
    it's time for a new one anyway. The rear derailleur will probably be ok.

    But I gotta ask why you're riding a mountain bike at, presumably, 18-20mph pace on the road? Do you
    ever take it off trail? I hope you have slicks.

    If the issue is money, or having just one bike, then it's a perfectly understandable situation. But
    if you think you're going to be mostly riding on the road at these speeds, your long term plan ought
    to be to get a different/additional bike.

    John Rees

  5. (HKEK) said:

    I've got a Shimano drivetrain with the standard chainring set
    (42/32/22) and a 7 speed cassette. In the flats, I ride in the big ring and small cog; however, on
    descents I don't have a high enough gear ratio such that I can pedal to accelerate and
    maintain speed.

    Is it a simple matter to put road rings a MTB crankset? Would that require a new derailleur? Would
    the derailleur work with the MTB shifter? I don't imagine that I can get cogs much smaller. Thanks
    in advance for your help.

    If the smallest cog on your cassette is a 12 tooth then you can get one with an 11 tooth sprocket
    for some improvement.

    If you are already running a three chainrings with a MTB cassette then you probably already have a
    long cage derailleur. If you get larger chainrings you will probably need to lengthen the chain.

    Regarding the cranks, chainring replacement depends on the BCD (bolt-circle-diameter) of your
    chainrings (see link). Cheap cranks are riveted together and the only way to change the chainrings
    is to change the cranks. Recent Shimano cranks use one of two 4-bolt patterns and they don't offer
    the chainrings with a decent range of sizes (perhaps some 3rd party offers them, I don't really know
    - or care). If they are 5-bolt then they may be either 110/74 ("Standard"😉 or 94/58 ("Compact), in
    which case a wide range replacement chainrings are still widely available, no thanks to Shimano.

    hostelshoppe.comtech bolt circle diameter.php

    If you are going to get a new crank for the front the 110/74 is the best choice, very versatile both
    on road and off.

    --
    Chris Bird

  6. Chris B. [email protected] said:

    If you are already running a three chainrings with a MTB cassette then you probably already have a
    long cage derailleur. If you get larger chainrings you will probably need to lengthen the chain.

    Regarding the front derailleur, the one you have shifting your
    22/32/42 setup will not be ideal if you move to something like
    22/33/46 or 28/38/48 but it will shift just fine in my experience. However, a NOS (new, old stock)
    front MTB derailleur for standard rings can usually be gotten used or from your LBS or Cambria
    for a good price. A Shimano MTB front derailleur will shift fine with your shifters.

    --
    Chris Bird

  7. robert-<< You won't be able to put road rings on your crankset as they use a different bolt pattern
    (130 to your 110). You can, however, get 110 rings that are larger than what you have. Perhaps a 46
    tooth or 48 tooth would do the trick. >><BR><BR>

    TA makes 110/74 bolt diameter rings from 22(74mm) to 57mm(110)...so making a
    52/42/30 would be easy.

    May need an old style MTB front der desiogned for 46/48t rings tho-

    Can also put a 'road' cassette on the rear...like an 11-23...

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (53)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  8. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    robert-<< You won't be able to put road rings on your crankset as they use


    a

    Quoted message said:

    different bolt pattern (130 to your 110). You can, however, get 110 rings that are larger than
    what you have. Perhaps a 46 tooth or 48 tooth would do the trick. >><BR><BR>

    TA makes 110/74 bolt diameter rings from 22(74mm) to 57mm(110)...so making


    a

    Quoted message said:

    52/42/30 would be easy.

    May need an old style MTB front der desiogned for 46/48t rings tho-

    Wouldn't an old RSX front der work? RSX bikes had 46t on a triple chainring.

  9. (HKEK) said:

    I've got a Shimano drivetrain with the standard chainring set
    (42/32/22) and a 7 speed cassette. In the flats, I ride in the big ring and small cog; however, on
    descents I don't have a high enough gear ratio such that I can pedal to accelerate and
    maintain speed.

    Is it a simple matter to put road rings a MTB crankset? Would that require a new derailleur? Would
    the derailleur work with the MTB shifter? I don't imagine that I can get cogs much smaller. Thanks
    in advance for your help.

    I had a similar set-up on my bike. I simply put on a 46T big-ring. The stock derailer worked
    fine..one caveat..if you have an indesxed front shifter, you may have some difficulty with
    this setup.

    Bob

  10. Chris B. csbird1@-nospam-thanks- rogers.com said:

    If the smallest cog on your cassette is a 12 tooth then you can get one with an 11 tooth sprocket
    for some improvement.

    You may also be able to replace just the 12 tooth cog, without replacing the whole cassette.

    --
    Rick Onanian

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.