Road Cycling · Public discussion

How to add more stuff to handlebars---one approach

Started by SMS · · Last activity · 11 posts · 341 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
20 October 2007
Last activity
21 October 2007
Original author
SMS
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
341
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I found this photo on-line and thought that it was an interesting approach:

    "http://www.billcotton.com/Ikea%20light.jpg"

  2. SMS aka Steven M. Scharf said:

    I found this photo on-line and thought that it was an interesting approach:

    "http://www.billcotton.com/Ikea%20light.jpg"

    Where is the laptop?

    I like the 8-pound [1] sledge as a kickstand. No weight weenie here!

    [1] I think, based on the size of the hammer head.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

  3. Tom Sherman said:
    SMS aka Steven M. Scharf said:

    I found this photo on-line and thought that it was an interesting
    approach: "http://www.billcotton.com/Ikea%20light.jpg"

    Where is the laptop?


    Here's a page that shows some other details of bike electrification.
    http://www.billcotton.com/bicycle_electric.htm

    It must work for Bill. His touring page is very extensive. He often has
    helpful comments on r.b.rides.

  4. "Tom Sherman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    SMS aka Steven M. Scharf said:

    I found this photo on-line and thought that it was an interesting
    approach:

    "http://www.billcotton.com/Ikea%20light.jpg"

    Where is the laptop?

    I like the 8-pound [1] sledge as a kickstand. No weight weenie here!

    [1] I think, based on the size of the hammer head.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

    I see he needs to be on the inner-most cog to haul all that weight.

    This must certainly be a joke. No one would ride a bike like that.

    J.

  5. "SMS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I found this photo on-line and thought that it was an interesting approach:

    "http://www.billcotton.com/Ikea%20light.jpg"

    we should have a contest to guess what it is!!

  6. "SMS" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I found this photo on-line and thought that it was an interesting approach:

    "http://www.billcotton.com/Ikea%20light.jpg"

    I see from Bill's website http://www.billcotton.com/ that he is a retired
    guy having fun with bikes and his own website.

    Great!

    J.

  7. Jay said:


    "Tom Sherman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    SMS aka Steven M. Scharf said:

    I found this photo on-line and thought that it was an interesting
    approach:

    "http://www.billcotton.com/Ikea%20light.jpg"

    Where is the laptop?

    I like the 8-pound [1] sledge as a kickstand. No weight weenie here!

    [1] I think, based on the size of the hammer head.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

    I see he needs to be on the inner-most cog to haul all that weight.

    This must certainly be a joke. No one would ride a bike like that.

    J.

    Um, I usually get around on an old Australia Post bike (20+kg) and
    regularly load an extra 50kgs of tools, gear and components on that when
    I'm taken a bicycle maintenance course or servicing a bike fleet
    off-site.

    I do hope that the gameboy on top of his setup is a joke though.

    Cheers

    Joel
    --
    Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
    [email hidden] | Affordable second hand bikes
    (03) 9029 6504 | Bicycle reuse centre
    www.humanpowered.com.au | Mechanical and on-road training and instruction

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    SMS said:

    I found this photo on-line and thought that it was an interesting approach:

    "http://www.billcotton.com/Ikea%20light.jpg"

    The world needs a treatise on how to take stuff /off/
    of handlebars.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    I'm really at:
    tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

  9. On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 18:52:32 -0700, [email hidden]

    (Tom Keats) said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    SMS said:

    I found this photo on-line and thought that it was an interesting approach:

    "http://www.billcotton.com/Ikea%20light.jpg"

    The world needs a treatise on how to take stuff /off/
    of handlebars.

    Except for things to connect the cables, all you need is a basket.
    Toss the rest of that [censored] in the basket.

    Hang your Ikea headlamps off the bottom and throw the cat in on top
    to keep the batteries from freezing.
    --
    zk

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Zoot Katz said:

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 18:52:32 -0700, [email hidden]

    (Tom Keats) said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    SMS said:

    I found this photo on-line and thought that it was an interesting approach:

    "http://www.billcotton.com/Ikea%20light.jpg"

    The world needs a treatise on how to take stuff /off/
    of handlebars.

    Except for things to connect the cables, all you need is a basket.
    Toss the rest of that [censored] in the basket.

    If I could pluck a loosely-wired cycoputer head out of
    a front basket and hold it up at varying distances to my
    right eye, with my left eye closed, I might be able to
    discern the numbers without having to put my reading
    glasses on. But it would take a couple of minutes to
    attain some sort of focus. Maybe front baskets should
    come with monacles.

    Quoted message said:

    Hang your Ikea headlamps off the bottom and throw the cat in on top
    to keep the batteries from freezing.

    I bought a new sidewall generator today. I first rode
    to Bikes On The Drive (with a lay-over at the DQ at
    Main & 13th for an Ultimate Burger,) but they didn't
    have their usual Tung Lin systems, and the grrl behind
    the counter said they've been having trouble getting them.
    I've already got 2 or 3, but the soft synth-rubber
    drivewheels are worn out, and BOTD won't supply just
    the drivewheels.

    So I rode to the Canadian Tire at Cambie & 7th and got
    a SuperCycle (Latter-Day Raleigh) system. Maybe I'll
    just transplant the drivewheel onto one of my old
    Tung Lin units.

    That was my first time in that Canadian Tire site.
    They've got a lot of Latter-Day Raleigh-branded junk.
    Actually, the rear racks looked pretty good. And they've
    got some Raleigh-branded flashlight-battery lights that
    might be worth looking into.

    I also picked up a rain poncho from there, for something
    like $3.59 + gov't squeeze. A nice red one (not
    Security Guard yellow.) If you can remember how to refold
    it, you can supposedly get it back into its fancy,
    velcro-closured drysack.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    I'm really at:
    tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

  11. Joel Mayes said:

    I do hope that the gameboy on top of his setup is a joke though.

    I do hope that's a joke on your part 🙂. Whatever it is, it's not a
    Game Boy. (GPS mapping system, I assume?)

    --
    Mark Shroyer
    http://markshroyer.com/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.