UK and Europe · Public discussion

How Much Weight Can My Bike Carry?

Started by Mark Thompson · · Last activity · 15 posts · 719 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
24 May 2004
Last activity
25 May 2004
Original author
Mark Thompson
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
719
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just wondering how much weight I can carry on my bike.
    It's got 700x25c tyres and £30 ish Rigida rims. I'm a
    skinny type at 12 stone ish so probably worrying about
    nothing but don't want to load it up and break a spoke in
    the middle of nowhere.

  2. Mark Thompson said:

    Just wondering how much weight I can carry on my bike.
    It's got 700x25c tyres and £30 ish Rigida rims. I'm a
    skinny type at 12 stone ish so probably worrying about
    nothing but don't want to load it up and break a spoke in
    the middle of nowhere.

    Whether a spoke breaks or not will depend on how well the
    wheel has been tensioned and stress relieved more than the
    weight you put on it.

    Tony

  3. Lots! In the fifties the French were defeated by the North
    Vietnamese and most of their equipment and supplies were
    carried by bikes! Admittedly very strong ones but none the
    less bikes.

    Previous poster has it right. Spoke breakage is about
    the quality of the materials used and just who built it!
    Also correct loading of weight is important, i.e. low
    and balanced.

  4. Quoted message said:

    Lots! In the fifties the French were defeated by the North
    Vietnamese and most of their equipment and supplies were
    carried by bikes! Admittedly very strong ones but none the
    less bikes.

    Previous poster has it right. Spoke breakage is about the
    quality of the materials used and just who built it! Also
    correct loading of weight is important, i.e. low and
    balanced.

    Fantastic. Cheers guys.

    (ps re: N Vietnamese Vs French: did anyone see Dads Army
    last night with the cannon and the onions?)

  5. About 6 stone, well-balanced, IF your wheels were well-
    built.

    You COULD carry more but it gets difficult to handle the
    bike of the load is more than half your weight.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden] Edgware.

  6. Mark Thompson said:

    Just wondering how much weight I can carry on my bike.
    It's got 700x25c tyres and £30 ish Rigida rims. I'm a
    skinny type at 12 stone ish so probably worrying about
    nothing but don't want to load it up and break a spoke in
    the middle of nowhere.

    The frame will never bend - it is incredibly rigid in a
    vertical direction. Whether the wheels will take it depends
    how well they were built and what the spoke tension is.
    Stainless spokes tend to last a lot better than "rustless"
    ones, and double butted spokes are more resilient when you
    hit a big pothole.

    Wider tyres would allow you to run a lower pressure, which
    would absorb more road shock.

  7. Zog The Undeniable [email hidden] opined the
    following...

    Quoted message said:

    The frame will never bend - it is incredibly rigid in a
    vertical direction.

    However the increased shock loads will promote fracture in
    an Aluminium frame. If in doubt (And it is possible to do
    so!) contact the manufacturer. Also bear in mind that you'll
    need to spread the weight fore and aft. The most heavily
    loaded ride I've done recently (15kg +
    me) turned my bike into an animal. If I tried to stand it
    nearly fell over, and any corners turned into a slalom
    with the tail end flailing behind me. I also
    discovered that if I got off the bike and lightly
    tapped the underside of the handlebars, I could make
    it stand on end!

    Jon

  8. Quoted message said:

    About 6 stone, well-balanced, IF your wheels were
    well-built.

    You COULD carry more but it gets difficult to handle the
    bike of the load is more than half your weight.

    Yippee I can load up 10 stone of camping gear that means I
    can take the family frame tent! :-)

    In all seriousness, I did the C2C ride with around 40lbs of
    gear and me weighing in at 20 stone or so on a 'free to good
    home' Raleigh Equipe 12 speed racer. I was more concerned
    about frame flex than wheel flex but the bike and wheels
    survived the ordeal. I'd not repeat the experience again
    though as the hills were murder on a double ringed bike.

    The bike is now happily scurrying around Otley's environs
    piloted by a much lighter rider.

  9. Quoted message said:

    However the increased shock loads will promote fracture in
    an Aluminium frame. If in doubt (And it is possible to do
    so!) contact the manufacturer. Also bear in mind that
    you'll need to spread the weight fore and aft. The most
    heavily loaded ride I've done recently (15kg +
    me) turned my bike into an animal. If I tried to stand it
    nearly fell over, and any corners turned into a slalom
    with the tail end flailing behind me. I also
    discovered that if I got off the bike and lightly
    tapped the underside of the handlebars, I could make
    it stand on end!

    Fantastic. Just got the panniers (and they're *huge*) so
    will have a go and see if mine can do it too :o) Fortunately
    it's a chromoly frame so it should be ok - just the spokes
    to worry about.

  10. vernon levy [email hidden] opined the following...

    Quoted message said:

    Yippee I can load up 10 stone of camping gear that means I
    can take the family frame tent! :-)

    Just planning to invest in some cmaping gear, with a view to
    cycling to the York Rally. Current estimate for total weight
    of camping stuff is about 7kg. With 10 stone, I dread to
    think what I could take with me, or how long it'd take to
    get up any hills.

    Jon

  11. Quoted message said:

    Just planning to invest in some cmaping gear, with a view
    to cycling to the York Rally. Current estimate for total
    weight of camping stuff is about 7kg. With 10 stone, I
    dread to think what I could take with me, or how long it'd
    take to get up any hills.

    I still haven't got the hang of lightweight camping. I
    reckon that it's easier for me to shed personal weight than
    trim the surplus from the camping gear list :-)

    Got to get it sorted for LEJOG though.

  12. Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk>typed

    Quoted message said:

    vernon levy [email hidden] opined the following...

    Quoted message said:

    Yippee I can load up 10 stone of camping gear that means
    I can take the family frame tent! :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Just planning to invest in some cmaping gear, with a view
    to cycling to the York Rally. Current estimate for total
    weight of camping stuff is about 7kg. With 10 stone, I
    dread to think what I could take with me, or how long it'd
    take to get up any hills.

    Quoted message said:

    Jon

    Don't you ever do any shopping by bike? Groceries tend to
    weigh in at rather more than camping gear. 7kg isn't very
    much anyway.

    I once bought a watermelon for a friend and then struggled
    to he Mugdock home...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden] Edgware.

  13. Mark Thompson said:

    Just wondering how much weight I can carry on my bike.

    If you're going to use panniers, most are rated up to 25kg.

    Quoted message said:

    It's got 700x25c tyres and £30 ish Rigida rims. I'm a
    skinny type at 12 stone ish so probably worrying about
    nothing but don't want to load it up and break a spoke in
    the middle of nowhere.

    If you have 36 spokes you can probably get away with
    cycling home with a few dud spokes - just remove them
    (pliers help) and replace them as soon as you can. If your
    wheels weren't hand-built you can reduce the risk of this
    happening by stress-relieving them as per
    www.sheldonbrown.com (wheelbuilding link).

    I've had problems with hubs breaking on my old tourer - I
    think it had been rebuilt with a funny combination of racing
    parts and it had a threaded hub (a weaker design). Assuming
    your bike isn't ancient and is not a racer, I think you
    should be fine.

    The CTC do a rescue service BTW. I don't know how good it is
    and haven't signed up, but I have often considered it.

    AC

  14. Helen Deborah Vecht [email hidden] opined the
    following...

    Quoted message said:

    Don't you ever do any shopping by bike? Groceries tend to
    weigh in at rather more than camping gear. 7kg isn't very
    much anyway.

    Hence my tale elsewhere in this thread of riding the bike up
    a hill with 15kg on the back of it. Vernon was discussing
    taking 10 stone of camping gear!

    Quoted message said:

    I once bought a watermelon for a friend and then struggled
    to he Mugdock home...

    Jon

  15. Quoted message said:

    The CTC do a rescue service BTW. I don't know how good it
    is and haven't signed up, but I have often considered it.

    Hmmm, costs £30 to take me to nearest train station/bike
    shop. A taxi is highly likely to cost less and I only pay
    for the taxi if I actually need
    it. Not that good then. :-(

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.