Road Cycling · Public discussion

How may miles have you ridden this year?

Started by zeke · · Last activity · 29 posts · 612 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
8 December 2006
Last activity
11 December 2006
Original author
zeke
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
612
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.

    ----------------------------
    Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
    View my training log:
    http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    zeke said:

    How may miles have you ridden this year?

    I dunno. I don't have a computer anymore.
    I got rid of it. Okay, to be honest I
    lost it a few years ago and happily didn't
    bother to replace it.

    I'm just shy of 10,000.

    How much elevation gain did you get this year? 🙂
    (I don't know how much I got, either.
    Except, not enough.) If I bothered to do New Year
    Resolutions, I think I'd pick: hillclimbs. Maybe
    make an effort to get some of that old stuff back.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca


  3. Quoted message said:


    How much elevation gain did you get this year? 🙂
    (I don't know how much I got, either.
    Except, not enough.) If I bothered to do New Year
    Resolutions, I think I'd pick: hillclimbs. Maybe
    make an effort to get some of that old stuff back.

    Although I live in the foothills of North Carolina, I don't consider
    myself much of a climber so I try to stay away from the really big
    climbs. I think my short Monday through Thursday rides (~ 25 miles)
    are around 1800 feet of climbing.

    ----------------------------
    Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
    View my training log:
    http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

  4. There are usually threads addressing that issue in early January, that often
    include other personal highlights and/or lowlights of the past year, new
    year's bike resolutions and whatever. We'd hate to leave out the mega-miles
    we're all accumulating in December, as it were!

    "zeke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.

    ----------------------------
    Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
    View my training log:
    http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

  5. Well, if you want to compare miles, you could post them on
    http://www.bikejournal.com . Most features are available with free
    enrollment. Menu items in yellow require paid membership.

    zeke said:

    How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.

    ----------------------------
    Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
    View my training log:
    http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

  6. "zeke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    :: How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of
    :: 10,000.

    Hey, there's nothing wrong with comparing miles. You did real good. I just
    wish I had time to ride that many miles!

  7. zeke said:

    How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.

    ----------------------------
    Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
    View my training log:
    http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo


    Well rough estimate tells me somewhere about 3,000

    Ken
    --
    The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
    old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without
    shocking the entire community. ~Ann Strong

  8. 2100, up from 1550 my first year. Don't have time to ride much more
    than that, but am happy with the increase and will try to do better this
    coming year.

  9. "nash" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    :: You gotta wonder what kind of a yo yo puts his training
    :: log up for everyone to oooohhhhh ahhhhh over

    I'd wonder more about anyone who'd take the time to do that....

  10. Ron Wallenfang said:

    There are usually threads addressing that issue in early January, that often
    include other personal highlights and/or lowlights of the past year, new
    year's bike resolutions and whatever. We'd hate to leave out the mega-miles
    we're all accumulating in December, as it were!

    Durn straight! Although at the rate I'm going this month, I should have
    posted last week. Concert blew last weekend, train ride torching this
    next weekend. Boo hoo. Wouldn't give either of them up, nor the kids
    coming home next week.

    OTOH, set a new personal best mileage for the year today (as I have
    every day for a few months!). And I've had fun riding this year. Even
    if it isn't really time to sum up the year yet!

    Pat

  11. zeke said:
    Quoted message said:

    How much elevation gain did you get this year? 🙂 (I don't know how
    much I got, either. Except, not enough.) If I bothered to do New Year
    Resolutions, I think I'd pick: hillclimbs. Maybe make an effort to get
    some of that old stuff back.


    Although I live in the foothills of North Carolina, I don't consider
    myself much of a climber so I try to stay away from the really big
    climbs. I think my short Monday through Thursday rides (~ 25 miles) are
    around 1800 feet of climbing.

    Similar terrain for me, so probably similar climbing. The hill right
    outside my home drops 700' to my preferred riding area, and there are
    plenty of hills beyond that. Even the other way into town it drops at
    least a couple hundred feet. Anywhere I go I have to climb to get home.

    To answer the original question, probably 4-5000 miles. I'd be doing
    twice that for sure if I didn't spend 2-3 months away each summer.
    Getting back on the bike around here after that is murder. A flatland
    vacation with bike on the way home sure helps get me moving again.

    To those wondering how to get more miles in -- sell the car!

    Matt O.

  12. Not much :-/

    "catzz66" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    2100, up from 1550 my first year. Don't have time to ride much more than
    that, but am happy with the increase and will try to do better this coming
    year.

  13. Tom Keats wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    How much elevation gain did you get this year? 🙂


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Almost exactly the same amount that I lost ;-)
    --

    Paul D Oosterhout
    I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

  14. "zeke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.

    ----------------------------
    Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
    View my training log:
    http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

    Hummm, that is a toughie, not counting other parts what does three rear
    tires add up to?

  15. Earl Bollinger said:

    "zeke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.

    ----------------------------
    Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
    View my training log:
    http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

    Hummm, that is a toughie, not counting other parts what does three rear
    tires add up to?

    Somewhere between 1 and 15,000 miles (probably). That's the range for
    me over the last few years, too... ;-)

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  16. zeke said:

    How may miles have you ridden this year?

    All of 'em except a maybe one the few times I walked the bike.
    --
    zk

  17. zeke said:

    How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.

    Not that many, but it's hard to tell now - ask again when the year is over,
    there are still over 20 days left to ride!

    --
    Mike Vore
    http://www.OhMyWoodness.com
    http://mike.vorefamily.net/twr

  18. Earl Bollinger said:

    "zeke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.

    ----------------------------
    Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
    View my training log:
    http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

    Hummm, that is a toughie, not counting other parts what does three rear
    tires add up to?

    Depends. It's possible to get a load of miles on
    a good tire if you wear it all the way down til the
    tube pops through the casing and says howdy.
    That is a definition of a good tire--one that can
    be worn all the way to and through the casing while
    still retaining its integrity otherwise. Some
    brands (like Continental) never make it, their
    sidewalls fail long before the tread is worn out.

    How many licks does it take to get to the center
    of a tootsie pop?

    I doubt I will reach 9,000 road miles this year,
    but I did about 1500 singletrack which is not bad.

    Robert

  19. In article <mdfeh.449447$5R2.795@pd7urf3no>,

    nash said:

    You gotta wonder what kind of a yo yo puts his training log up for everyone
    to oooohhhhh ahhhhh over

    I wish I had a camera. Then I could put up some photos
    of the great riding around here. Maybe some folks would
    go "oooh" & "ahhh" over them, but I'd prefer they'd say
    stuff like: "hey, that reminds me of < such-'n-such> where
    I ride," and contribute their own experiences. And then
    other riders in far-flung exotic lands might follow suit,
    and riders from all over the world could come together and
    say "Hey -- I know exactly what you mean."

    I especially gotta put up a picture of the polka-dot house
    up on Lakewood & 4th. New Brighton Park is pretty photogenic,
    too. Then there's that garden gate made out of gardening tools
    just across from the Bean Around The World coffee shop at
    Main & 20th (one of my favourite haunts.) And the vistas from
    the Mountain View boneyard.

    Some live-action vid of bombing along New Westminster's Front
    Street between somewhat favourable traffic light phases, or
    scorching down Mt Seymour Parkway, or wending one's way through
    that ugly bike lane thingie on Wayburne Way that's strewn with
    tree blow-downs might be pretty kewl, too.

    I guess logs & journals are what we resort to when we
    don't have cameras.

    They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

    Of course, not many of those words are quantitative :-)

    cheers
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

  20. Den 08.12.2006 kl. 03:51 skrev zeke <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.

    ----------------------------
    Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
    View my training log:
    http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

    This year I didn't do any miles. Just kilometers. The LBS had offered
    to convert my Flight Deck to miles for free. But at my age the miles
    seem overwhelming long. If I was still in my fourties I would probably
    be doing a lot of miles. But since I ride granny gears I have resolved, I
    better stick to the kilometers for the rest of my cycling days.

    Ivar

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.