How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Ruger P89, .45 1911, both heavy guns.

Yeah...those are both some very weighty pistols. 1911 is my all time favorite for Winter carry (off the bike), but no way could I lug one around in a jersey pocket. Even my little Walther PPK/S was too heavy for riding with. The new compact and sub-compact polymer pistols are much better for CCW and riding...not that I'm in love with plastic pistols for anything else than their weigh savings. Similar to a carbon fiber frame I would think...not a lifetime investment, but a device with a purpose.

Grandma ain't skerred!

65-year-old woman shoots robber, New Hampshire Union Leader, Manchester, N.H. 01/05/16, WMUR, Manchester, N.H. 01/06/16
back-to-top.gif

Monday, January 11, 2016

More
After leaving a gas station in Manchester, N.H. in her vehicle, a 4-foot-11 65-year-old grandmother noticed that a car was following her. After parking at her apartment building, the woman was making her way inside when the man who had been following her approached. Describing to a local news outlet what happened next, the woman said, “[a]s soon as he went to grab me with his left hand, I pulled (the gun) out and shot him. I didn’t even think about it. I thought my safety was in danger.” The assailant was not immediately captured, but was later discovered by police when he arrived at the hospital with a gunshot wound.

View Related Articles
Police have noted that the woman has a Right-to-Carry permit. Further, the woman already made arrangements to protect herself after her gun was taken as evidence, telling police that her neighbor had lent her another firearm. (New Hampshire Union Leader, Manchester, N.H. 01/05/16, WMUR, Manchester, N.H. 01/06/16)

http://www.wmur.com/news/manchester-police-investigate-monday-night-shooting/37272690

New Right-to-Carry permit holder defends himself against armed robbers, FOX 2 Detroit, Detroit, Mich. 10/19/15
back-to-top.gif

Thursday, October 22, 2015

remote.axd

More
A 23-year-old Right-to-Carry permit holder was waiting for a bus after work when a trio of armed men attempted to rob him. One of the thieves put their hands inside the permit holder’s pocket and stole $220. The permit holder responded to the robbery by drawing a gun and firing at the criminals, striking two and causing all to flee. The two wounded robbers were captured by police while seeking medical attention at a nearby hospital.

View Related Articles
The permit holder obtained his Right-to-Carry permit mere weeks before his harrowing encounter. Speaking with a local media outlet, the permit holder’s brother noted, “I believe you should have the right to protect yourself from any danger… We should be able to walk and go where we want freely and not be in fear of our life that that's why I believe your CPL is protecting you from any danger you may come across.” (FOX 2 Detroit, Detroit, Mich. 10/19/15)

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/36305746-story

Former CNN Anchor After Self-Defense Shooting: “If you don’t want to carry please don’t. Then, shut the f--- up about it.”
back-to-top.gif

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

remote.axd

More
Former CNN Anchor After Self-Defense Shooting: “If you don’t want to carry please don’t. Then, shut the f--- up about it.”

View Related Articles
Last week we shared the harrowing story of former CNN Headline News anchor Lynne Russell and husband Chuck de Caro, who exercised their right to armed self-defense to stop a gun-wielding robber who forced his way into their Albuquerque, N.M. motel room. Espousing a straightforward logic that even gun control supporters should be able to grasp, Russell stated, “If you don’t want to carry please don’t. Then, shut the f--k up about it. Make your own decisions.” Both Russell and de Caro are Right-to-Carry permit holders, and in an interview with Fox News following the shooting Russell had some choice words for anyone that would deprive them of the right to bear arms.

Espousing a straightforward logic that even gun control supporters should be able to grasp, Russell stated, “If you don’t want to carry please don’t. Then, shut the f--k up about it. Make your own decisions.”

Russell elaborated on her pro-gun position stating, “The discussion over the debate to own a gun is just ridiculous. As Americans we have the right to bear arms and as humans the right to protect ourselves. I’m sure that the man who shot my husband did not have a gun permit. Criminals will always have guns. The rest of us legally obtain our gun permits.”

While some might find a portion of Russell’s vehement defense of gun rights a little inartful, considering the tenor and accuracy of Second Amendment “reporting” on the “Worldwide Leader in News,” we hope that CNN considers re-employing Russell to provide an honest and diverse viewpoint.

Pinarello: Check!
Campagnolo Group: Check!
Proper cycling gear: Check!
M4 Carbine 5.56x45 with 30-Round Magazine: Check!

Cycling...you're doing it right!

gun.jpg

68-year-old clerk fires at armed robbers, WBAL, Baltimore, Md. 12/08/15
back-to-top.gif

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

More
A 68-year old clerk was working at Towson Wine & Spirits in Towson, Md. when two men entered and attempted to rob the store. One of the thieves drew a gun and pointed it at the clerk, who responded by retrieving a handgun from a drawer and shooting the criminal. The robbers fled the scene, but the wounded criminal collapsed and died just outside the store. (WBAL, Baltimore, Md. 12/08/15)

View Related Articles
http://www.wbaltv.com/news/police-robbery-suspect-fatally-shot-in-store/36846222

I love a story with a happy ending!

Couple fights off armed robbers, WBTV, Charlotte, N.C. 11/26/15, WRDW, Augusta, Ga. 11/26/15
back-to-top.gif

Tuesday, December 1, 2015
More
An Aiken County, S.C. couple who thought they were meeting with individuals whom they had arranged to purchase a car from on craigslist.com were instead met by a pair of armed robbers. While one of the robbers pointed a gun at the male victim, the female victim drew a gun and fired at the criminals, striking and killing one and causing the other to flee. (WBTV, Charlotte, N.C. 11/26/15, WRDW, Augusta, Ga. 11/26/15)

View Related Articles
http://www.wbtv.com/story/30611169/deputies-woman-shoots-and-kills-would-be-craigslist-robber

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/Aiken-County-Sheriffs-Office-investigating-shooting-off-Wire-Road-353835091.html

Another happy ending. Someone getting the drop on you doesn't mean roll over and play dead. Fight back!

Victim or Victor...you decide.

Mindset and training!

Right-to-Carry permit holder foils carjacking, KSL, Salt Lake City, Utah 05/02/15
back-to-top.gif

Thursday, May 7, 2015
More
A Right-to-Carry permit holder was in a grocery store parking lot in Orem, Utah, when he heard a woman screaming nearby. The woman had been taken out of her vehicle by a carjacker. The permit holder rushed to help and confronted the criminal. As the thief was lunging at him, the permit holder shot and killed the attacker.

View Related Articles
An investigation revealed that the deceased carjacker was sought in connection with another car theft earlier that day. When asked whether the permit holder could face charges, Orem Police Captain Ned Jackson told reporters, “He’s trying to assist this lady whose car is being stolen. He was fighting with her, he was trying to protect her. Then at the point the suspect comes to him and he’s trying to take the gun from him, then he’s trying to protect himself.” (KSL, Salt Lake City, Utah 05/02/15)

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=34485401&nid=148&title=subject-shot-dead-after-foiled-carjacking&fm=home_page&s_cid=topstory

File this one under: Taking out the trash

Mother defends herself and daughter from crazed intruder, WTKR, Hampton Roads, Va. 03/12/15
back-to-top.gif

Tuesday, March 17, 2015
More
A mother was at home with her young child in Newport News, Va. when a stranger behaving erratically began trying to force his way into the home through a door. Concerned for herself and her daughter’s safety, the mother retrieved a gun and called police. The man eventually broke into the home through a window. The mother responded to the intrusion by shooting the home invader twice. When police arrived the criminal was taken to a local hospital; he is expected to recover.

View Related Articles
In explaining the incident to a local media outlet, the mother told a reporter, “All I knew is I wanted to stop him from hurting me or hurting my daughter.” The mother added, “It doesn’t make it too much easier to know that I can totally handle my worse fear… But along the same lines, it makes me feel more confident I was able to do what I needed to do.” (WTKR, Hampton Roads, Va. 03/12/15)

If they come for you in your own home...image how bold they are out on the open road.

Right-to-Carry permit holder stops knife-wielding robber, Deseret News, Deseret, Utah, 01/26/15
back-to-top.gif

Monday, January 26, 2015
More
A knife-wielding woman entered an Arby’s in Vernal, Utah and attempted to rob the restaurant. At the same time, a Right-to-Carry permit holder was ordering from the drive–thru. When the person taking his order did not respond, the permit holder went inside the restaurant, where an employee alerted him to the robbery in progress. The permit holder went back to his vehicle, retrieved a gun, then confronted the robber. When the thief moved towards him with the knife, the permit holder pointed the firearm at her. Eventually the criminal was disarmed and the permit holder was able to hold the thief at gunpoint until police arrived.

View Related Articles
The robber faces charges of possession of a controlled substance and aggravated robbery.

Have it your way?

Yeah...those are both some very weighty pistols. 1911 is my all time favorite for Winter carry (off the bike), but no way could I lug one around in a jersey pocket. Even my little Walther PPK/S was too heavy for riding with. The new compact and sub-compact polymer pistols are much better for CCW and riding...not that I'm in love with plastic pistols for anything else than their weigh savings. Similar to a carbon fiber frame I would think...not a lifetime investment, but a device with a purpose.

I have a Ruger LC-9, and it's a great little pistol. I can carry it in my pocket, but even still, it has some weight, even though it is 3/4 plastic. It would probably be ideal to carry in the jersey, but close to impossible to quick draw. Sure, I could keep it in the pocket of my cycling jacket, but with winter riding gloves, impossible to draw out, so I say, why bother. One time, I did carry a Beretta .22/25 caliber mini-pistol in a holster strapped underneath my bike seat, but I was too worried, the straps would loosen up so I stopped doing that. I have heard of guys setting up a holster in one of their water bottle cages. I guess it's doable, but let's be honest, I love animals, even though I have been chased, crashed hitting dogs, and bitten. It's not the dog's fault. It's the owners' fault by not properly keeping control of their dogs. In the country, you're going to see a lot of dogs running loose, who look at the cyclist as trespassing on their private roads.

I guess it's doable, but let's be honest, I love animals, even though I have been chased, crashed hitting dogs, and bitten. It's not the dog's fault. It's the owners' fault by not properly keeping control of their dogs.

So true. I would hate to shoot a dog over the owner's idiocy. Having gone splat three times over a Newfoundland the size of a cow, a medium size mutt and a medium size Labrador and been chased by just about every breed cataloged by the AKC and then some...pistol whipping the humans that were supposedly in charge of the dogs at large...yeah, that's an option.

Still, if it comes down to a vicious muttly trying to chew what little meat is on my bones or me retaining my hide via hollow points? I'm going to give it the old college try every time.

So true. I would hate to shoot a dog over the owner's idiocy. Having gone splat three times over a Newfoundland the size of a cow, a medium size mutt and a medium size Labrador and been chased by just about every breed cataloged by the AKC and then some...pistol whipping the humans that were supposedly in charge of the dogs at large...yeah, that's an option.

Still, if it comes down to a vicious muttly trying to chew what little meat is on my bones or me retaining my hide via hollow points? I'm going to give it the old college try every time.

We had a local incident a few days ago regarding a domestic dispute with a guy and his wife. She left and called the cops. The guy refused to come out and talk to the cops so they shot tear gas into his house windows and knocked down his door. This guy had never been in trouble with the law, was a decorated veteran and loved dogs. His dogs got out so when he went to get his dogs, according to the neighbors the police shot him in the leg and then set a police dog on him. The dog was eating him alive. He shot and killed the dog. We'll never know the real truth because the guy died from his wounds. The police have their version which differs from the eye witness account of the neighbor. Incidentally, this guy was an NRA firearms instructor at the local gun shop and a manager of the shop. I never met him, but I had purchased a revolver from the shop as well as a gun safe. I know this is not bike related, but the story did bother me, even though I never knew the guy, but my wife and I took our concealed weapons course from that gun shop. Just remember what I said before, you can hear that old saying, "It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6," but there is a lot of difference when you finally have to pull that trigger. Be sure of your target, and that it's the only way.

Dayamn! Wild story.

We have a local urban yout sitting in jail right now for killing a police dog last week...shot it, wounded it and it died from the gunshot wound.

The kid was given a 5 million dollar bond. Yes, I typed that correctly. Higher than many murderers of humans get in my area.

Not sure if it's even legal to carry one while riding out here in California but I don't feel that its needed on rides especially the weight of the weapon might be of burdensome and rather annoying while I ride.

CCW is difficult to get in some parts of Cali, but it is legal.
The weight of a polymer .380 caliber semi-automatic pistol can be as little as 8 ounces and a .32 can weigh under 7 ounces. Add a couple ounces for ammunition.

I need to laugh when I look at this because it doesn't make sense to carry a gun while riding the bike, unless we are aiming for some rabbit. :D

Whatever floats yer boat...

Rabbits? Not so much. Pit bulls that are trying to shred me or someone else? Pistol gonna go 'Bang!'.

Armed neighbor saves boy from pit bull mauling, KDKA, Pittsburgh, Pa. 01/10/16

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

A husband and wife were at home in Pittsburgh, Pa. when the wife heard the screams of a 14-year-old neighbor. The boy was calling for help, as his 7-year-old brother was under attack by a pit bull. The wife alerted her husband, who retrieved a gun and went to the site of the attack.

When he arrived, the dog was on top of the boy, prompting the husband to shoot the dog in the rear in order to halt the attack and not harm the child. The first shot got the dog off the boy, but as the dog continued to act violently, the husband was forced to fatally shoot the animal. The husband then carried the boy, who suffered facial lacerations, out of the house. (KDKA, Pittsburgh, Pa. 01/10/16)

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/01/10/dog-fatally-shot-after-attacking-7-year-old-boy/

Whatever floats yer boat...

Rabbits? Not so much. Pit bulls that are trying to shred me or someone else? Pistol gonna go 'Bang!'.

Armed neighbor saves boy from pit bull mauling, KDKA, Pittsburgh, Pa. 01/10/16

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

A husband and wife were at home in Pittsburgh, Pa. when the wife heard the screams of a 14-year-old neighbor. The boy was calling for help, as his 7-year-old brother was under attack by a pit bull. The wife alerted her husband, who retrieved a gun and went to the site of the attack.

When he arrived, the dog was on top of the boy, prompting the husband to shoot the dog in the rear in order to halt the attack and not harm the child. The first shot got the dog off the boy, but as the dog continued to act violently, the husband was forced to fatally shoot the animal. The husband then carried the boy, who suffered facial lacerations, out of the house. (KDKA, Pittsburgh, Pa. 01/10/16)

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/01/10/dog-fatally-shot-after-attacking-7-year-old-boy/

Media Release:
Innocent children witness gruesome scene as drunken , gun wielding, redneck NRA member kills beloved pet with assault weapon. President and Congress to consider more gun and alcohol control.

Reactions: Weatherby
...if it only saves the life of one small child!

Besides...killing beloved pets with firearms is the job of the poleece.