UK and Europe · Public discussion

How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been killed?

Started by Alan Holmes · · Last activity · 134 posts · 3,679 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
14 January 2007
Last activity
20 January 2007
Original author
Alan Holmes
Posts
134
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,679
Views / 30 days
33

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 134
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.

    How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
    injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

    Alan

  2. Alan Holmes said:

    Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.

    How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
    injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

    Now, now Alan. Playing the judge who asked "Who are the Beatles?" is
    your normal role here. Aggravated Trolling is not.

    Mike (Expecting "What is trolling?" response....)

  3. Response to Mike Causer:

    Quoted message said:

    Now, now Alan. Playing the judge who asked "Who are the Beatles?" is
    your normal role here. Aggravated Trolling is not.

    PWP is my guess.

    --
    Mark, UK
    "History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of
    urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure."

  4. In article said:
    Alan Holmes said:

    Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.

    How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
    injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

    Now, now Alan. Playing the judge who asked "Who are the Beatles?" is
    your normal role here. Aggravated Trolling is not.

    I did vaguely wonder if some of his recent posts were forgeries - his
    style really does seem to have changed. I haven't bothered examining
    headers though, and it's more likely he's just sulking because no one
    took his Olympic standard touring times seriously.

  5. "Mike Causer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Alan Holmes said:

    Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.

    How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
    injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

    I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while, for
    about a hundred years cyclist have not worn helmets, so why have they
    suddenly appeared?

    Alan

  6. Alan Holmes said:

    I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while

    Well, you deserve an award of some sort for *completely* failing to take
    in one /hell/ of a lot of traffic here.

    www.cyclehelmets.org is the place, get reading.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. Alan Holmes said the following on 15/01/2007 12:54:

    Quoted message said:

    I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while, for
    about a hundred years cyclist have not worn helmets, so why have they
    suddenly appeared?

    Please - rather than stir up this always-heated discussion again, have a
    look back through the many, many threads on this subject.

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  8. Alan Holmes said:

    Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.

    How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
    injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

    TROLL! In the dungeons! Though you ought to know... Professor Quirrell

    BugBear

  9. Peter Clinch said:
    Alan Holmes said:

    I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while

    Well, you deserve an award of some sort for *completely* failing to take
    in one /hell/ of a lot of traffic here.

    The speed he goes, is it any wonder he can't read it?

    --
    Dave...

  10. "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Alan Holmes said:

    I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while

    Well, you deserve an award of some sort for *completely* failing to take
    in one /hell/ of a lot of traffic here.

    www.cyclehelmets.org is the place, get reading.

    And that will tell me everything I have asked?

    Alan

    Quoted message said:


    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  11. "Paul Boyd" <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Alan Holmes said the following on 15/01/2007 12:54:

    Quoted message said:

    I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while,
    for about a hundred years cyclist have not worn helmets, so why have they
    suddenly appeared?

    Please - rather than stir up this always-heated discussion again, have a
    look back through the many, many threads on this subject.

    I wasn't aware that there had been any threads on this subject!

    How do I find them?

    Alan

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  12. "bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Alan Holmes said:

    Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.

    How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
    injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

    TROLL! In the dungeons! Though you ought to know... Professor Quirrell

    So you don't think it important for people to know whether they are at risk?

    Quoted message said:


    BugBear

  13. "Paul Boyd" <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Alan Holmes said the following on 15/01/2007 12:54:

    Quoted message said:

    I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while,
    for about a hundred years cyclist have not worn helmets, so why have they
    suddenly appeared?

    Please - rather than stir up this always-heated discussion again, have a
    look back through the many, many threads on this subject.

    Just found some, will read!

    Thank you, at last a sensible post.

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  14. in message <[email hidden]>, Alan Holmes

    (') said:

    "Mike Causer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Alan Holmes said:

    Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.

    How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
    injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

    I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while,
    for about a hundred years cyclist have not worn helmets, so why have they
    suddenly appeared?

    This is a highly political issue, as I'm sure you know. A few small scale
    studies have claimed, on the basis of fairly poor statistics, that helmet
    wearing should make an enormous difference to cyclist safety. Much larger
    studies based on places which have introduced mandatory helmet legislation
    show that helmet wearing makes no difference or else makes things
    marginally worse. For more information - not unbiased, but nevertheless
    linking to the majority of the available material both pro and anti - see
    http://www.cyclehelmets.org/

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; If you're doing this for fun, do what seems fun. If you're
    ;; doing it for money, stop now.
    ;; Rainer Deyke

  15. Alan Holmes said:


    "bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Alan Holmes said:

    Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.

    How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
    injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

    TROLL! In the dungeons! Though you ought to know... Professor Quirrell

    So you don't think it important for people to know whether they are at risk?

    People know.

    You (apparently) don't.

  16. "Alan Holmes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Alan Holmes said:

    I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while

    Well, you deserve an award of some sort for *completely* failing to take
    in one /hell/ of a lot of traffic here.

    www.cyclehelmets.org is the place, get reading.

    And that will tell me everything I have asked?

    Yup.

    but you have to be able to understand it.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
    It has removed 305 spam emails to date.
    Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
    Try SPAMfighter for free now!

  17. "Alan Holmes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Paul Boyd" <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Alan Holmes said the following on 15/01/2007 12:54:

    Quoted message said:

    I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while,
    for about a hundred years cyclist have not worn helmets, so why have
    they suddenly appeared?

    Please - rather than stir up this always-heated discussion again, have a
    look back through the many, many threads on this subject.

    Just found some, will read!

    Thank you, at last a sensible post.

    htfwyk?

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
    It has removed 305 spam emails to date.
    Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
    Try SPAMfighter for free now!

  18. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Alan Holmes said:


    "bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Alan Holmes wrote:
    > Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.
    >
    > How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
    > injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

    TROLL! In the dungeons! Though you ought to know... Professor Quirrell

    So you don't think it important for people to know whether they are at
    risk?

    People know.

    You (apparently) don't.

    You seem not to understand what I am asking, it's very simple really, am I
    at more risk when not wearing a helmet than when wearing one, how many times
    will I fall off a cycle and damage my head?

    Alan

    Quoted message said:
  19. "burt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Alan Holmes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Paul Boyd" <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Alan Holmes said the following on 15/01/2007 12:54:

    > I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while,
    > for about a hundred years cyclist have not worn helmets, so why have
    > they suddenly appeared?

    Please - rather than stir up this always-heated discussion again, have a
    look back through the many, many threads on this subject.

    Just found some, will read!

    Thank you, at last a sensible post.

    htfwyk?

    Sorry I don't understand cantonese.

    Alan

    Quoted message said:


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
    It has removed 305 spam emails to date.
    Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
    Try SPAMfighter for free now!

  20. "Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Alan Holmes

    (') said:

    "Mike Causer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:33:50 +0000, Alan Holmes wrote:

    > Just a thought as to whether helmets really do save lives.
    >
    > How many cyclists not wearing helmets have been either killed or badly
    > injured, compared with cyclists who do wear helmets?

    I was serious, I wonder whether the fuss about helmets is worth while,
    for about a hundred years cyclist have not worn helmets, so why have they
    suddenly appeared?

    This is a highly political issue, as I'm sure you know. A few small scale
    studies have claimed, on the basis of fairly poor statistics, that helmet
    wearing should make an enormous difference to cyclist safety. Much larger
    studies based on places which have introduced mandatory helmet legislation
    show that helmet wearing makes no difference or else makes things
    marginally worse. For more information - not unbiased, but nevertheless
    linking to the majority of the available material both pro and anti - see
    http://www.cyclehelmets.org/

    Thanks.

    Quoted message said:


    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; If you're doing this for fun, do what seems fun. If you're
    ;; doing it for money, stop now.
    ;; Rainer Deyke

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.