General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

How I removed burnt carbon from cookware

Started by axlq · · Last activity · 17 posts · 806 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 September 2005
Last activity
27 September 2005
Original author
axlq
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
806
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I wanted to share this.

    My expensive copper-bottom stainless stell cookpot got burnt.
    The black carbon deposits stuck to the bottom were impossible to
    remove by scouring. After 15 minutes of exhausting scrubbing with
    a scotchbrite pad, aided by a dull knife to scrape off the bigger
    chunks, I was ready to give up.

    So I searched the web and found a whole bunch of suggestions. The
    one I tried worked beautifully.

    I put dishwasher detergent into the pot (liquid Cascade in my case)
    with some water, filling it to about 1/2 inch. I'd say there were 2
    parts water to 1 part detergent.

    Then I put it on the stove and let it simmer for 20 minutes.

    Amazing. The carbon deposits slowly dissolved, and completely
    disappeared.

    I didn't know it could be so easy.

    -A

  2. axlq said:

    I wanted to share this.

    My expensive copper-bottom stainless stell cookpot got burnt.
    The black carbon deposits stuck to the bottom were impossible to
    remove by scouring. After 15 minutes of exhausting scrubbing with
    a scotchbrite pad, aided by a dull knife to scrape off the bigger
    chunks, I was ready to give up.

    So I searched the web and found a whole bunch of suggestions. The
    one I tried worked beautifully.

    I put dishwasher detergent into the pot (liquid Cascade in my case)
    with some water, filling it to about 1/2 inch. I'd say there were 2
    parts water to 1 part detergent.

    Then I put it on the stove and let it simmer for 20 minutes.

    Amazing. The carbon deposits slowly dissolved, and completely
    disappeared.

    I didn't know it could be so easy.

    -A


    Hmph! I just use a heavy sprinkling of baking soda with a little
    water and let sit. Bring to a boil and everything comes off. It's a
    lot cheaper and does a better job.

  3. ~patches~ said:
    axlq said:

    I wanted to share this.

    My expensive copper-bottom stainless stell cookpot got burnt.
    The black carbon deposits stuck to the bottom were impossible to
    remove by scouring. After 15 minutes of exhausting scrubbing with
    a scotchbrite pad, aided by a dull knife to scrape off the bigger
    chunks, I was ready to give up.

    So I searched the web and found a whole bunch of suggestions. The
    one I tried worked beautifully.

    I put dishwasher detergent into the pot (liquid Cascade in my case)
    with some water, filling it to about 1/2 inch. I'd say there were 2
    parts water to 1 part detergent.

    Then I put it on the stove and let it simmer for 20 minutes.

    Amazing. The carbon deposits slowly dissolved, and completely
    disappeared.

    I didn't know it could be so easy.

    -A

    Hmph! I just use a heavy sprinkling of baking soda with a little water
    and let sit. Bring to a boil and everything comes off. It's a lot
    cheaper and does a better job.

    I use lye to dissolve burnt food in stainless steel pans. I'd use
    washing soda, but it seems to have totally disappeared from the stores.

    -Bob

  4. zxcvbob said:
    ~patches~ said:
    axlq said:

    I wanted to share this.

    My expensive copper-bottom stainless stell cookpot got burnt.
    The black carbon deposits stuck to the bottom were impossible to
    remove by scouring. After 15 minutes of exhausting scrubbing with
    a scotchbrite pad, aided by a dull knife to scrape off the bigger
    chunks, I was ready to give up.

    So I searched the web and found a whole bunch of suggestions. The
    one I tried worked beautifully.

    I put dishwasher detergent into the pot (liquid Cascade in my case)
    with some water, filling it to about 1/2 inch. I'd say there were 2
    parts water to 1 part detergent.

    Then I put it on the stove and let it simmer for 20 minutes.

    Amazing. The carbon deposits slowly dissolved, and completely
    disappeared.

    I didn't know it could be so easy.

    -A

    Hmph! I just use a heavy sprinkling of baking soda with a little
    water and let sit. Bring to a boil and everything comes off. It's a
    lot cheaper and does a better job.

    I use lye to dissolve burnt food in stainless steel pans. I'd use
    washing soda, but it seems to have totally disappeared from the stores.

    -BB


    Bob, talking about plain old fashioned baking soda you know the kind
    you bake with not washing soda.

  5. ~patches~ said:
    zxcvbob said:


    I use lye to dissolve burnt food in stainless steel pans. I'd use
    washing soda, but it seems to have totally disappeared from the stores.

    Bob, talking about plain old fashioned baking soda you know the kind
    you bake with not washing soda.

    I know. I was talking a bout washing soda, and wondering why it has
    disappeared from the markets.

    -Bob

  6. zxcvbob wrote on 25 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    I know. I was talking a bout washing soda, and wondering why it has
    disappeared from the markets.

    -Bob

    AFAIK washing soda is just larger flakes of baking soda.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.
    The ears keep the hat up.

  7. Mr Libido Incognito said:

    zxcvbob wrote on 25 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    I know. I was talking a bout washing soda, and wondering why it has
    disappeared from the markets.

    -Bob

    AFAIK washing soda is just larger flakes of baking soda.

    Nope, it's a different chemical. Washing soda (a.k.a. "soda ash"😉 is
    sodium carbonate. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.

    Bob

  8. zxcvbob said:
    ~patches~ said:
    zxcvbob said:


    I use lye to dissolve burnt food in stainless steel pans. I'd use
    washing soda, but it seems to have totally disappeared from the stores.

    Bob, talking about plain old fashioned baking soda you know the kind
    you bake with not washing soda.

    I know. I was talking a bout washing soda, and wondering why it has
    disappeared from the markets.

    -Bob


    It hasn't. Check under the name of Mule Team 20 or something like that.
    I forget. Anyway it will do a nice job. It comes in a box that is
    sort of pale green with mules on it.

  9. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (axlq)

    Quoted message said:

    I wanted to share this.

    My expensive copper-bottom stainless stell cookpot got burnt.
    The black carbon deposits stuck to the bottom were impossible to
    remove by scouring. After 15 minutes of exhausting scrubbing with
    a scotchbrite pad, aided by a dull knife to scrape off the bigger
    chunks, I was ready to give up.

    So I searched the web and found a whole bunch of suggestions. The
    one I tried worked beautifully.

    I put dishwasher detergent into the pot (liquid Cascade in my case)
    with some water, filling it to about 1/2 inch. I'd say there were 2
    parts water to 1 part detergent.

    Then I put it on the stove and let it simmer for 20 minutes.

    Amazing. The carbon deposits slowly dissolved, and completely
    disappeared.

    I didn't know it could be so easy.

    -A

    Wow.
    Thanks!

    I always just soaked in vinegar and that did not always work.
    A little bleach sometimes works as well, but this sounds easier, and
    less caustic. :-)
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  10. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (axlq)

    Quoted message said:

    I wanted to share this.

    My expensive copper-bottom stainless stell cookpot got burnt.
    The black carbon deposits stuck to the bottom were impossible to
    remove by scouring. After 15 minutes of exhausting scrubbing with
    a scotchbrite pad, aided by a dull knife to scrape off the bigger
    chunks, I was ready to give up.

    So I searched the web and found a whole bunch of suggestions. The
    one I tried worked beautifully.

    I put dishwasher detergent into the pot (liquid Cascade in my case)
    with some water, filling it to about 1/2 inch. I'd say there were 2
    parts water to 1 part detergent.

    Then I put it on the stove and let it simmer for 20 minutes.

    Amazing. The carbon deposits slowly dissolved, and completely
    disappeared.

    I didn't know it could be so easy.

    -A

    Wow.
    Thanks!

    I always just soaked in vinegar and that did not always work.
    A little bleach sometimes works as well, but this sounds easier, and
    less caustic. :-)

    Ammonia.

    Sheldon


  11. Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    ~patches~ wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    It hasn't. Check under the name of Mule Team 20 or something like that.
    I forget. Anyway it will do a nice job. It comes in a box that is
    sort of pale green with mules on it.

    Borax 20 Mule Team washing soda. Box description is correct and of
    course found in the laundry aisle.

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (axlq)

    Quoted message said:

    I wanted to share this.

    My expensive copper-bottom stainless stell cookpot got burnt.
    The black carbon deposits stuck to the bottom were impossible to
    remove by scouring. After 15 minutes of exhausting scrubbing with
    a scotchbrite pad, aided by a dull knife to scrape off the bigger
    chunks, I was ready to give up.

    So I searched the web and found a whole bunch of suggestions. The
    one I tried worked beautifully.

    I put dishwasher detergent into the pot (liquid Cascade in my case)
    with some water, filling it to about 1/2 inch. I'd say there were 2
    parts water to 1 part detergent.

    Then I put it on the stove and let it simmer for 20 minutes.

    Amazing. The carbon deposits slowly dissolved, and completely
    disappeared.

    I didn't know it could be so easy.

    -A

    Wow.
    Thanks!

    I always just soaked in vinegar and that did not always work.
    A little bleach sometimes works as well, but this sounds easier, and
    less caustic. :-)

    Ammonia.

    Sheldon

    I'll try that next time.
    Fortunatley, I rarely burn stuff.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  13. [email hidden] wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Shouldn't that be _20 Mule Team Boraxo_? They used to sponsor a


    televison show years ago.

    If memory serves, the host toward the end was Ronald Reagan.

  14. ~patches~ <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    zxcvbob said:
    ~patches~ said:

    axlq wrote:

    > I wanted to share this.
    >
    > My expensive copper-bottom stainless stell cookpot got burnt.
    > The black carbon deposits stuck to the bottom were impossible to
    > remove by scouring. After 15 minutes of exhausting scrubbing with
    > a scotchbrite pad, aided by a dull knife to scrape off the bigger
    > chunks, I was ready to give up.
    >
    > So I searched the web and found a whole bunch of suggestions. The
    > one I tried worked beautifully.
    >
    > I put dishwasher detergent into the pot (liquid Cascade in my case)
    > with some water, filling it to about 1/2 inch. I'd say there were 2
    > parts water to 1 part detergent.
    >
    > Then I put it on the stove and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
    >
    > Amazing. The carbon deposits slowly dissolved, and completely
    > disappeared.
    >
    > I didn't know it could be so easy.
    >
    > -A

    Hmph! I just use a heavy sprinkling of baking soda with a little
    water and let sit. Bring to a boil and everything comes off. It's a
    lot cheaper and does a better job.

    I use lye to dissolve burnt food in stainless steel pans. I'd use
    washing soda, but it seems to have totally disappeared from the stores.

    -BB


    Bob, talking about plain old fashioned baking soda you know the kind
    you bake with not washing soda.

    Baking soda is one of my best friends in the kitchen. It totally works on
    just about anything and it will also soak up grease. Good stuff.

    Michael

    --
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  15. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (axlq)
    wrote:

    > I wanted to share this.
    >
    > My expensive copper-bottom stainless stell cookpot got burnt.
    > The black carbon deposits stuck to the bottom were impossible to
    > remove by scouring. After 15 minutes of exhausting scrubbing with
    > a scotchbrite pad, aided by a dull knife to scrape off the bigger
    > chunks, I was ready to give up.
    >
    > So I searched the web and found a whole bunch of suggestions. The
    > one I tried worked beautifully.
    >
    > I put dishwasher detergent into the pot (liquid Cascade in my case)
    > with some water, filling it to about 1/2 inch. I'd say there were 2
    > parts water to 1 part detergent.
    >
    > Then I put it on the stove and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
    >
    > Amazing. The carbon deposits slowly dissolved, and completely
    > disappeared.
    >
    > I didn't know it could be so easy.
    >
    > -A

    Wow.
    Thanks!

    I always just soaked in vinegar and that did not always work.
    A little bleach sometimes works as well, but this sounds easier, and
    less caustic. :-)

    Ammonia.

    Sheldon

    I'll try that next time.
    Fortunatley, I rarely burn stuff.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.


    It's a great hint! I don't often burn anything either, but I'm working with
    a new stove now and it's always your favorite piece it happens to.

    MoM

  16. "axlq" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I wanted to share this.

    My expensive copper-bottom stainless stell cookpot got burnt.
    The black carbon deposits stuck to the bottom were impossible to
    remove by scouring. After 15 minutes of exhausting scrubbing with
    a scotchbrite pad, aided by a dull knife to scrape off the bigger
    chunks, I was ready to give up.

    So I searched the web and found a whole bunch of suggestions. The
    one I tried worked beautifully.

    I put dishwasher detergent into the pot (liquid Cascade in my case)
    with some water, filling it to about 1/2 inch. I'd say there were 2
    parts water to 1 part detergent.

    Then I put it on the stove and let it simmer for 20 minutes.

    Amazing. The carbon deposits slowly dissolved, and completely
    disappeared.

    I didn't know it could be so easy.

    I've cooked off cooked and burned on stuff from pans more or less like that
    for some time, but using vinegar, bicarb, dish soap, salt - whatever I had
    to hand and thought would help - not lost a pan yet! Think it was my nan I
    first saw do that when I was about 6 y/o, bless the now deceased wise-arsed
    old gal!

    ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  17. "zxcvbob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mr Libido Incognito said:

    zxcvbob wrote on 25 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    I know. I was talking a bout washing soda, and wondering why it has
    disappeared from the markets.

    -Bob

    AFAIK washing soda is just larger flakes of baking soda.

    Nope, it's a different chemical. Washing soda (a.k.a. "soda ash"😉 is
    sodium carbonate. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.

    Bob

    Yup, just the one carbonate in washing soda (they make it from baking soda
    but sell what's left over of that there carbonate to sparkling drinks
    companies yaknow).

    Shaun aRe
    --
    Living Life Large Like Loud Lemon Lipped Laughter.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.