Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

How fast do Coffee Club Riders Go

Started by Vee One · · Last activity · 32 posts · 1,565 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
30 October 2004
Last activity
10 November 2004
Original author
Vee One
Posts
32
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,565
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 32
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am a recreational rider, and often wonder what sort of average speeds do
    the Sunday morning Coffee Club riders do, and what average distance do you
    do.

    I know average distance can be anything, but I was wondering what sort of
    speeds do fairly fit riders sit on over the entire ride, not just the 50k an
    hour occasional sprint.

    In other words when you are finished, what average speed does your bike
    computer show ?
    Cheers.

  2. Vee One said:

    I am a recreational rider, and often wonder what sort of average speeds do
    the Sunday morning Coffee Club riders do, and what average distance do you
    do.

    I know average distance can be anything, but I was wondering what sort of
    speeds do fairly fit riders sit on over the entire ride, not just the 50k an
    hour occasional sprint.

    In other words when you are finished, what average speed does your bike
    computer show ?
    Cheers.


    Yes, well, it depends on the coffee. And the size of the club. Some days Maitre Petrucchio hasn't quite got the boiler pressure right, the crema doesn't quite settle and that can take 1- 2 km/hr off the bunch stallions, even before their "Vitamin B" injections have had chance to take hold. The way the club is wielded also has an effect. with low, sweeping strokes, at ankle height, the pace picks up. Short, overarm strokes just dents morale, and helmets. Your new Limar 909 doesn't look too sexy anymore with half-round indentations where bulges should be. Ricketts Point (for you Southerners) actually is flatter depending on how close to Sorrento you got. Mordialloc? Hors Categorie. Point Nepean? Small mended pothole bump. No, it's not in the mind, they have a winch mechanism underneath and they watch you with binoculars from Beaumaris.
    The EQ (ego quotient) of the bunch also has an effect on average speed. One or two big rouleurs grinding the rest of the bunch to a lumpy paste, you might as well all be riding Repco Travellers (apols. to REAL Repco Traveller riders) and smoke 40 a day (no apols. to you dopey fume suckers). An humble, but solid regard for your own VO2 max and resting heartrate, and those of your fellow caffenistas, and NO CROSSING WHEELS! and you could chase down and slap (but HARD!) the FdJ training bunch 'til they cried out of their noses, or until they stopped screaming like the silly little girls they are (apols. to the REAL FdJ guys - you rock!).

    M "double-shot macchiato decaf with lemon twist" H

  3. Get a life will ya
    "mfhor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Vee One said:

    I am a recreational rider, and often wonder what sort of average speeds
    do
    the Sunday morning Coffee Club riders do, and what average distance do
    you
    do.

    I know average distance can be anything, but I was wondering what sort
    of
    speeds do fairly fit riders sit on over the entire ride, not just the
    50k an
    hour occasional sprint.

    In other words when you are finished, what average speed does your bike
    computer show ?
    Cheers.


    Yes, well, it depends on the coffee. And the size of the club. Some
    days Maitre Petrucchio hasn't quite got the boiler pressure right, the
    crema doesn't quite settle and that can take 1- 2 km/hr off the bunch
    stallions, even before their "Vitamin B" injections have had chance to
    take hold. The way the club is wielded also has an effect. with low,
    sweeping strokes, at ankle height, the pace picks up. Short, overarm
    strokes just dents morale, and helmets. Your new Limar 909 doesn't look
    too sexy anymore with half-round indentations where bulges should be.
    Ricketts Point (for you Southerners) actually is flatter depending on
    how close to Sorrento you got. Mordialloc? Hors Categorie. Point
    Nepean? Small mended pothole bump. No, it's not in the mind, they have
    a winch mechanism underneath and they watch you with binoculars from
    Beaumaris.
    The EQ (ego quotient) of the bunch also has an effect on average speed.
    One or two big rouleurs grinding the rest of the bunch to a lumpy paste,
    you might as well all be riding Repco Travellers (apols. to REAL Repco
    Traveller riders) and smoke 40 a day (no apols. to you dopey fume
    suckers). An humble, but solid regard for your own VO2 max and resting
    heartrate, and those of your fellow caffenistas, and NO CROSSING
    WHEELS! and you could chase down and slap (but HARD!) the FdJ training
    bunch 'til they cried out of their noses, or until they stopped
    screaming like the silly little girls they are (apols. to the REAL FdJ
    guys - you rock!).

    M "double-shot macchiato decaf with lemon twist" H

    --
    mfhor

  4. Ha! Do believe mfhors' delicate wittisms have completely eluded one of our viewers on aus.bicycle. May we venture a question, any idea what a average cyclists speed would be after an invigorating civet cat coffee?

    Kopi Luwak:
    bestthings.nlindex.php

  5. Another smart ass
    "cfsmtb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Ha! Do believe mfhors' delicate wittisms have completely eluded one of
    our viewers on aus.bicycle. May we venture a question, any idea what a
    average cyclists speed would be after an invigorating civet cat
    coffee?

    Kopi Luwak:
    http://www.bestthings.nl/index.php?pet1=3&pet2=0&taal=2

    --
    cfsmtb

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I am a recreational rider, and often wonder what sort of average speeds do
    the Sunday morning Coffee Club riders do, and what average distance do you
    do.

    I know average distance can be anything, but I was wondering what sort of
    speeds do fairly fit riders sit on over the entire ride, not just the 50k an
    hour occasional sprint.

    In other words when you are finished, what average speed does your bike
    computer show ?
    Cheers.


    How long is a piece of string?
    Here in Brisbane, the rides are usually 35-60km long. Average speeds:
    usually 32-37kph but can be up to 42kph. But traffic lights dictate
    that. Usually cruise on speeds in the mid 30's to low 40's. Sometimes
    there will be kilometres at high 40's to low 50's on selected rides.
    Sprints are in the low to mid 60's on flat roads.
    As I said, there are selected rides. You can choose ones where it's high
    20's to low 30's all the way... and each rider has to crash on every
    downhill corner.
    --
    Mark Lee

  7. "Vee One" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Another smart ass
    "cfsmtb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Ha! Do believe mfhors' delicate wittisms have completely eluded one of
    our viewers on aus.bicycle. May we venture a question, any idea what a
    average cyclists speed would be after an invigorating civet cat
    coffee?

    Kopi Luwak:
    http://www.bestthings.nl/index.php?pet1=3&pet2=0&taal=2

    --
    cfsmtb


    Actually I thought mfhors' literary sattire was in a word.....BRILLIANT!!
    DJ

  8. Mark can I ask you.
    I am in Brisbane and many Saturday mornings I see many riders going through
    St Lucia Uni, and then past St Lucia Golf Course, but after that, I turn
    back, can you tell me what circuit these riders do ? as it seems to be
    popular.
    Thanks,
    <Mark
    "Mark Lee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1bee98decb509d889896c7@news-server...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I am a recreational rider, and often wonder what sort of average speeds


    do

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the Sunday morning Coffee Club riders do, and what average distance do


    you

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    do.

    I know average distance can be anything, but I was wondering what sort


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    speeds do fairly fit riders sit on over the entire ride, not just the


    50k an

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    hour occasional sprint.

    In other words when you are finished, what average speed does your bike
    computer show ?
    Cheers.


    How long is a piece of string?
    Here in Brisbane, the rides are usually 35-60km long. Average speeds:
    usually 32-37kph but can be up to 42kph. But traffic lights dictate
    that. Usually cruise on speeds in the mid 30's to low 40's. Sometimes
    there will be kilometres at high 40's to low 50's on selected rides.
    Sprints are in the low to mid 60's on flat roads.
    As I said, there are selected rides. You can choose ones where it's high
    20's to low 30's all the way... and each rider has to crash on every
    downhill corner.
    --
    Mark Lee

  9. "DJ" <> wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:


    "Vee One" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Another smart ass
    "cfsmtb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Ha! Do believe mfhors' delicate wittisms have completely eluded one of
    our viewers on aus.bicycle. May we venture a question, any idea what a
    average cyclists speed would be after an invigorating civet cat
    coffee?

    Kopi Luwak:
    http://www.bestthings.nl/index.php?pet1=3&pet2=0&taal=2

    --
    cfsmtb


    Actually I thought mfhors' literary sattire was in a word.....BRILLIANT!!
    DJ


    Drink coffee & ride? BRILLIANT!!!

    I've never seen a Coffee Club Racer but Baum do am Espresso which looks nice http://www.jbcycles.com.au/products.html

    Parbs

  10. "Vee One" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    Another smart ass

    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  11. cfsmtb said:


    Ha! Do believe mfhors' delicate wittisms have completely eluded one of
    our viewers on aus.bicycle. May we venture a question, any idea what a
    average cyclists speed would be after an invigorating civet cat
    coffee?

    Kopi Luwak:
    http://www.bestthings.nl/index.php?pet1=3&pet2=0&taal=2

    --
    cfsmtb

    Yeah, my supervisor, a mega-addict, told us about that the other day.
    Meanwhile I've been on $100/kg coffee beans for the last few weeks, one
    of the guys in my office is best friends with the World Barista
    Champion...

    T

  12. Mark said:


    Mark can I ask you.
    I am in Brisbane and many Saturday mornings I see many riders going through
    St Lucia Uni, and then past St Lucia Golf Course, but after that, I turn
    back, can you tell me what circuit these riders do ? as it seems to be
    popular.

    <snip>

    After the golf course, turn left onto Indooroopilly road and then you
    can either go straight ahead onto Lambert OR take the look up around
    Harts right at the top of the hill, and left onto Lambert at the end.

    Go straight through the last lights at Castellis etc, the cycle path
    that goes across the bridge starts just past the gate to Witton
    barracks.

    After the bridge, the path spits you out onto the road, so be careful.
    Turn right, and then you can take the first or second left. If you take
    the first, then turn right at the bowls club or whatever it is, then
    left and this brings you to the same point. From there, you just keep
    heading toward the river - veer left at every intersection. You will
    find yourself at the Pamphlett Bridge at Tennyson.

    Follow the main road, it takes you past the Tennyson powerhouse where
    you sharp right, up and over a ?rail bridge? and there's lights at the
    top. Veer left again, follow the road and up ahead you see an onramp
    that takes you onto what I think is Fairfield road.

    Follow fairfield and there are a few streets you can choose to turn left
    down. I wait until the lights at Kadumba st but if you turn a block
    early there's a street that brings you to the same point. Follow the
    main road up the hill, past the school etc and turn left at Anita St.

    You can duck in and out along the river but it's a pain in the bum, lots
    of extra corners for not much extra distance. Near the bottom of the
    hill you can turn right into Diane, follow it to nearly the end and your
    find Ormadale another right turn, follow that to the end and you'll be
    at Wanganui river gardens. A quick left-right onto Brisbane corso and
    follow it right around to dutton park cemetary, follow it up the big
    hill and then left turn onto Gladstone Rd.

    At the top of the second hill turn left onto Dornoch Tce, follow it all
    the way down to where it turns into ganges st and spins a fun left onto
    hoogley st. This brings you out to the big park and the city cat at west
    end, follow orleigh st, hill end tce, riverside drive. It cuts through
    paths at the rowing sheds and brings you out at southbank, then you can
    go across the victoria or goodwill bridge and back to st lucia along the
    cycle path. Or you can follow the roads and from west end, shortcut up
    montague rd and you'll see a cafe near cycleogical bike shop, bound to
    be some lads and lasses in lycra sipping lattes. You can go peel st,
    grey st but it's best to duck back out onto riverside drive at jane st,
    just after the park/oval.

    Everyone does their own variation of the river ride, so if you tag on
    with a group expect to be surprised.

    T

  13. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Mark can I ask you.
    I am in Brisbane and many Saturday mornings I see many riders going through
    St Lucia Uni, and then past St Lucia Golf Course, but after that, I turn
    back, can you tell me what circuit these riders do ? as it seems to be
    popular.
    Thanks,
    <Mark

    The route Tamyka has detailed is the Wednesday direction. On a Saturday,
    the MAIN ride travels clockwise... from Park Rd (6:00am), Coro Dve
    inbound, Grey St Bridge, Corso.. up Dornoch (SPRINT), right into
    Gladstone Rd, down past the Dutton Pk Cemetery to the river (FAST BIT),
    past Wanganui, down to the river again, then up Kadumba (FAST BIT) to
    Fairfield Rd, past the Powerhouse, right after the Pamphlett Bridge,
    along the river to Queenscroft, right at the Chelmer Bowls Club (SPRINT),
    under the I'pilly Bridge and up the bikepath (15metres) to Longman Tce,
    (PAUSE), Laurel Ave, winding until Long St West, crossing Honour Ave
    under the rail into Long St East, left into Oxley Rd, over the I'pilly
    Bridge, Lambert Rd, left into I'pilly Rd, right past the St Lucia Golf
    Club and along the river to the Uni (SPRINT)- right turn and twice round
    the Uni, Sir Fred Schonell Dve, Coro Dve (SPRINT), Park Rd ~ 45km.

    If you turn up - just ask to get some help on directions and fast points
    so you don't get crossed-up e.g. after Wanganui there's a short-cut about
    1/3 of the bunch takes.
    --
    Mark Lee

  14. Mark Lee said:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    The route Tamyka has detailed is the Wednesday direction. On a Saturday,
    the MAIN ride travels clockwise... from Park Rd (6:00am), Coro Dve
    inbound, Grey St Bridge, Corso.. up Dornoch (SPRINT), right into
    Gladstone Rd, down past the Dutton Pk Cemetery to the river (FAST BIT),
    past Wanganui, down to the river again, then up Kadumba (FAST BIT) to
    Fairfield Rd, past the Powerhouse, right after the Pamphlett Bridge,
    along the river to Queenscroft, right at the Chelmer Bowls Club (SPRINT),
    under the I'pilly Bridge and up the bikepath (15metres) to Longman Tce,
    (PAUSE), Laurel Ave, winding until Long St West, crossing Honour Ave
    under the rail into Long St East, left into Oxley Rd, over the I'pilly
    Bridge, Lambert Rd, left into I'pilly Rd, right past the St Lucia Golf
    Club and along the river to the Uni (SPRINT)- right turn and twice round
    the Uni, Sir Fred Schonell Dve, Coro Dve (SPRINT), Park Rd ~ 45km.

    If you turn up - just ask to get some help on directions and fast points
    so you don't get crossed-up e.g. after Wanganui there's a short-cut about
    1/3 of the bunch takes.

    On that, if you're up for a short, fast ride the loops at Chelmer as
    described above are pretty good. I think I do a longer one than that
    described above

    T

  15. Vee One said:

    Another smart ass

    i think you might be missing the point Vee One, IMHO.

    Firstly to answer your question (based upon Beach Rd Melbourne, dead flat experience) It will depend a bit on the bunch you hook up with. The 'cafe' bunch tend (altho many of mfhor's comments ARE relevant as it does vary) average speed 30kph'ish. Wind can and will play havoc with that tho.
    If you happen to hook onto the tail of a larger club group they will average higher but still mainly sit in the low thirties and lerv 'givi-it-the-jandle' thru the pseudo hills between Mentone-Sandy.

    Ego's and endless blither about carbon fibre, and quite often really average bike handling skills make them just plain dangerous to be around tho.
    Give some of these people a hill AND/OR a decent distance and carbon fibre suddenly seems to make little difference.

    In summary, there's only one way to find out. You + bike + ride = enjoy 😄

  16. Vee One said:

    Another smart ass
    "cfsmtb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Ha! Do believe mfhors' delicate wittisms have completely eluded one of
    our viewers on aus.bicycle. May we venture a question, any idea what a
    average cyclists speed would be after an invigorating civet cat
    coffee?

    Kopi Luwak:
    http://www.bestthings.nl/index.php?pet1=3&pet2=0&taal=2

    --
    cfsmtb

    Aha! I see we have a lexically challenged contributor in our midst, grunting out monosyllabic replies to questions of weight and note.

    Pray tell, good sir, where the other half of your "Vee" has gone? Did it depart, unheralded, in the night, leaving you running like a badly tuned Harley-Davidson Motorbicycle? Much as King Missile's 'Detachable Penis' went missing? Did it, perchance, attach itself elsewhere, or onto someone else?

    Do you deny the importance of such questions, as to what level of caffeine in the bloodstream is optimal for one's Beach Rd. bunch performance? And as to the style of my prose, I fail to see how it may indicate whether or not I 'have a life', as you so indelicately put it. One would assume that life is in my possession, given that keystrokes, intelligibly arranged, would seem to demand the aforesaid condition. Your utterance, however, would seem to be distinguishable, or only barely, from the first-draft output of the apocryphal infinitude of monkeys with typewriters attempting to produce Shakespeare, only by its brevity.

    I remain, sir,

    your infelicitous servant,

    M "Mmm, cat poo coffee! I think Nestle perfected that a while ago, didn't they?" H

  17. mfhor said:


    M "Mmm, cat poo coffee! I think Nestle perfected that a while ago, didn't they?" H

    In our household we're speculating upon speeding up the process. Feeding coffee beans to the cattle dawg. Adds a unique Australian aroma, plus we reckon she could back out at least half a kilo a day. Any takers on distribution to the inner 'burbs trendies? 😄

  18. cfsmtb said:

    In our household we're speculating upon speeding up the process. Feeding coffee beans to the cattle dawg. Adds a unique Australian aroma, plus we reckon she could back out at least half a kilo a day. Any takers on distribution to the inner 'burbs trendies? 😄


    I'll have a word to Maitre Petrucchio next time I'm down at "Cafe d'Arriviste" and see whether the Gaggia will handle it, or whether he can get the correct basket aperture plate gauge from Italy. He may have to tweak the temperature settings to ensure the . . . um . . . product delivers the required definition in the liquor.

    Is this going to be a cottage industry? I fear for the ongoing legality of the enterprise (vis a vis the RSPCA) and the state of your poor old pooch if this catches on. Perhaps we had better look at breeding the correct type of dog for this enterprise - but the fate of the erstwhile smoking beagles bubbles (if you'll excuse the pun) ever to the surface of the mind. In some strange way, I feel as though I'm about to sign on to the Endangered Species Gastronomic Society. . .

    On the bright side, should it become popular, we could make [censored]! 🙄

    M "market niche" H

  19. "cfsmtb" <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    mfhor said:


    M "Mmm, cat poo coffee! I think Nestle perfected that a while ago,
    didn't they?" H

    In our household we're speculating upon speeding up the process.
    Feeding coffee beans to the cattle dawg. Adds a unique Australian
    aroma, plus we reckon she could back out at least half a kilo a day.
    Any takers on distribution to the inner 'burbs trendies? 😄

    There's an industry for this sort of thing? Should I be
    feeding Hatchback something special for dinner?

    hippy
    "rich! rich!! I tells ya!!! ahahahaha!!"

  20. hippy said:

    "cfsmtb" <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    mfhor said:


    M "Mmm, cat poo coffee! I think Nestle perfected that a while ago,
    didn't they?" H

    In our household we're speculating upon speeding up the process.
    Feeding coffee beans to the cattle dawg. Adds a unique Australian
    aroma, plus we reckon she could back out at least half a kilo a day.
    Any takers on distribution to the inner 'burbs trendies? 😄

    There's an industry for this sort of thing? Should I be
    feeding Hatchback something special for dinner?

    hippy
    "rich! rich!! I tells ya!!! ahahahaha!!"


    Hatchback!?!?!?!

    Excuse me for disturbing well-laid turf, but the etymology of your doggiewog's name intrigues me

    Hercules Blessington-Smythe

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.