In general, all else equal, how does powerlifting affect the heart in
the longer run? For example, if you took a million randomly selected
people from this world, didn't change anything about them other than
the fact that you made them start powerlifting at age 18, and then
looked at a million other randomly selected people that weren't made to
start powerlifting, what differences in their hearts would you predict
seeing and would it matter?
General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion
How does powerlifting affect the heart in the longer run?
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- General fitness, health and nutrition
- Published
- 31 January 2005
- Last activity
- 1 February 2005
- Original author
- Email address hidden
- Posts
- 6
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 411
- Views / 30 days
- 1
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
In article <[email hidden]>,
Quoted message said:
In general, all else equal, how does powerlifting affect the heart in
the longer run? For example, if you took a million randomly selected
people from this world, didn't change anything about them other than
the fact that you made them start powerlifting at age 18, and then
looked at a million other randomly selected people that weren't made to
start powerlifting, what differences in their hearts would you predict
seeing and would it matter?In the absense of any exercise by the non-powerlifters the powerlifters
could be expected to live much longer.--
Keith -
"Hobbes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
In article <[email hidden]>,
Quoted message said:
In general, all else equal, how does powerlifting affect the heart in
the longer run? For example, if you took a million randomly selected
people from this world, didn't change anything about them other than
the fact that you made them start powerlifting at age 18, and then
looked at a million other randomly selected people that weren't made to
start powerlifting, what differences in their hearts would you predict
seeing and would it matter?In the absense of any exercise by the non-powerlifters the powerlifters
could be expected to live much longer.
Even if only because they kill the others and feed off the carcasses.Quoted message said:
--
Keith -
I've read in one of Schwarzenegger's books that weight-lifting can
still have some aerobic benefits, but I don't think the comment was
about "power-lifting" like for competition. What do you suppose? I
don't think it increases aerobic capabilites much, if that's your
angle. I understand that muscles need to be targeted, otherwise any
indirect benefits are scant in comparison. -
In article <[email hidden]>, "NYC
XYZ said:
I've read in one of Schwarzenegger's books that weight-lifting can
still have some aerobic benefits, but I don't think the comment was
about "power-lifting" like for competition. What do you suppose? I
don't think it increases aerobic capabilites much, if that's your
angle. I understand that muscles need to be targeted, otherwise any
indirect benefits are scant in comparison.The heart is targeted by powerlifting and receives 'exercise'. There is
nothing I've seen in studies which validates the aerobics theory of
reaching a certain % and maintaining that % for a period of time.Fred Harfield was the powerlifter who had a complete heart check-up (MRI
and the whole works) and they found his heart was in excellent condition
after years of powerlifting. n=1 and all that. -
NYC XYZ said:
I've read in one of Schwarzenegger's books that weight-lifting can
still have some aerobic benefits, but I don't think the comment was
about "power-lifting" like for competition. What do you suppose? I
don't think it increases aerobic capabilites much, if that's your
angle. I understand that muscles need to be targeted, otherwise any
indirect benefits are scant in comparison.Depends on how you lift. I have days where I'll superset, combining a upper
body pull day with legs for example with no rest between sets other than the
time it takes to briskly walk to the squat rack or something. My heart rate
stays above 130 the entire WO. Of course, you have to drop back on the
weight a bit since you're already a bit winded when you start a set, but it
makes a great WO.
--
-Larry
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.