Road Cycling · Public discussion

How Do You Know if a Helmet Fits?

Started by Elisa Francesca · · Last activity · 12 posts · 614 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
22 April 2004
Last activity
24 April 2004
Original author
Elisa Francesca
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
614
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi All,

    I always wear a helmet for cycling, because I'm
    superstitious and it's part of my ritual.

    I have a very cheap helmet, and have often wondered why it s
    so cheap, and if it is missing something because of this. A
    colleague tells me - and I have heard the same thing
    elsewhere - that the fit of a helmet is essential to its
    safety and a big consideration in the price. She had hers
    specially fitted in the shop, and it cost about five times
    as much as mine.

    So how can I tell if my helmet fits? To put it on, I remove
    my hair clasp but keep my hair twisted up in the back, bend
    over forward and bucket my head into the helmet, inverted
    with the straps spread out. I pull it tautly to the middle
    of my forehead and click the straps before righting my
    posture. I can feel it all around my head at a nearly
    horizontal angle just over my ears, and the visor is quite
    low over my vision. The chin strap is just tight enough that
    I feel the need to undo it when I go round the supermarket.

    Haven't a clue if that's right or wrong. Your ideas?

    EFR Ile de France

  2. Elisa Francesca Roselli said:

    Hi All,

    I always wear a helmet for cycling, because I'm
    superstitious and it's part of my ritual.

    I have a very cheap helmet, and have often wondered why it
    s so cheap, and if it is missing something because of this.
    A colleague tells me - and I have heard the same thing
    elsewhere - that the fit of a helmet is essential to its
    safety and a big consideration in the price. She had hers
    specially fitted in the shop, and it cost about five times
    as much as mine.

    So how can I tell if my helmet fits? To put it on, I remove
    my hair clasp but keep my hair twisted up in the back, bend
    over forward and bucket my head into the helmet, inverted
    with the straps spread out. I pull it tautly to the middle
    of my forehead and click the straps before righting my
    posture. I can feel it all around my head at a nearly
    horizontal angle just over my ears, and the visor is quite
    low over my vision. The chin strap is just tight enough
    that I feel the need to undo it when I go round the
    supermarket.

    Haven't a clue if that's right or wrong. Your ideas?

    I figure if you're going to wear a helmet, wear it
    right....and you're wearing yours rightly, so far as I can
    tell.

    I'm forever scolding my little brothers to tighten their helmet-
    straps and slide the helmets forward to protect the front of
    their skulls.

    Not that I think they need a helmet for the riding that they
    do, necessarily. I made out all right without one--but would
    *you* want to stand there, carrying your injured baby
    brother in your arms, knowing that she'll hold you
    personally responsible?

    Thought not.

    -Luigi

    Quoted message said:


    EFR Ile de France

  3. Elisa Francesca Roselli <[email hidden]>
    wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    So how can I tell if my helmet fits?

    1. is the helmet comfortable on your head when you're
    riding?

    2. With the helmet on your head, pull up on the front of
    the helmet. The straps should hold the helmet securely
    on your head; no sliding backwards.

    3. Same as step 2 with the back of the helmet.

  4. "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    So how can I tell if my helmet fits?

    In a crash you might land somewhere on the front rim.

    If you put your hand on the front rim of your helmet, can
    you push it up to expose your forehead? If it can be pushed
    up that way, that will happen that type of crash, and the
    helmet is useless.

    I found that until they had helmets with the part that goes
    under the base of the skull (the top of the back of the
    neck) to hold the helmet in place, it was virtually
    impossible to get a helmet to have a safe fit without it
    being fairly uncomfortable. If you can get a good fit from
    an inexpensive helmet, that's great. I can't.

  5. "Elisa Francesca Roselli" wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Hi All,

    I always wear a helmet for cycling, because I'm
    superstitious and it's part of my ritual.

    I have a very cheap helmet, and have often wondered why it
    s so cheap, and if it is missing something because of
    this. A colleague tells me - and I have heard the same
    thing elsewhere - that the fit of a helmet is essential to
    its safety and a big consideration in the price. She had
    hers specially fitted in the shop, and it cost about five
    times as much as mine.

    So how can I tell if my helmet fits? To put it on, I
    remove my hair clasp but keep my hair twisted up in the
    back, bend over forward and bucket my head into the
    helmet, inverted with the straps spread out. I pull it
    tautly to the middle of my forehead and click the straps
    before righting my posture. I can feel it all around my
    head at a nearly horizontal angle just over my ears, and
    the visor is quite low over my vision. The chin strap is
    just tight enough that I feel the need to undo it when I
    go round the supermarket.

    Haven't a clue if that's right or wrong. Your ideas?

    EFR Ile de France


    The helmet sounds like it fits snugly enough to protect you,
    if it's comfortable than it's probably a good fit.

    Expensive helmets offer better ventilation, which is
    essential for hard riding in hot weather, and more elaborate
    strap systems that may or may not offer more comfort and
    better retention, but if your current helmet is a snug,
    comfortable fit I wouldn't worry too much.
    --
    mark

  6. On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:29:48 +0200, Elisa Francesca Roselli
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    I have a very cheap helmet, and have often wondered why it
    s so cheap, and if it is missing something because of this.
    A colleague tells me - and I have heard the same thing
    elsewhere - that the fit of a helmet is essential to its
    safety and a big consideration in the price.

    Small consideration in the price, I reckon. If you genuinely
    want a helmet to savce you more than the most trivial of
    injuries, start by finding one certified to Snell B95
    instead of the much lower standards most helmets are
    certified to.

    Then get one that fits before you've started faffing around
    with foam pads; they are just to make fine adjustments, not
    to make the thing fit. The helmet works by using plastic
    deformation to reduce the delecrative forces on the head; if
    your head is not in contact with the foam part of the helemt
    then you will hit the foam part just as hard as you would
    have hit the road.

    Then make sure it doesn't slip around, which means rejecting
    90% or so of helmts due to the impossibility of adjusting
    the chin straps properly.

    Alternatively, accept that it will only save you from
    trivial injuries, buy whetever is comportable, and ride
    as if you were wearing a glass hat with razor blades
    embedded in it.

    --
    Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  7. Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:50:59 +0100,
    <[email hidden]>,

    Just zis Guy said:

    Alternatively, accept that it will only save you from
    trivial injuries, buy whetever is comportable, and ride
    as if you were wearing a glass hat with razor blades
    embedded in it.

    It saves me a trivial $100 ticket in the law-enforcement
    lottery. It makes a good rain hat and place for lots of
    reflective tape. White ones are most visible. . . unless you
    can get fluorescent pink!
    --
    zk

  8. On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:50:05 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email hidden]>

    wrote in message : said:

    It saves me a trivial $100 ticket in the law-
    enforcement lottery.

    Pity they deter cycling and don't reduce the risk of injury,
    really, or there would be no downside ;-)

    --
    Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  9. Elisa Francesca Roselli said:

    So how can I tell if my helmet fits?

    Thanks to all who replied on this, especially David and Guy
    who caused me to realize that in fact my helmet is not
    nearly snug enough. It slips around freely, both in front
    and in back.

    But on the inside it has a velcro-lined strap with a
    tightening mechanism that goes under the back of my skull. I
    never understood how to use this until now. I put the helmet
    on, then pull in this strap as far as it will go to circle
    my skull. The chin-straps are also about an inch tighter
    now. They will irritate me in the heat and probably give me
    a rash, but that is true of anything tight and sweaty.

    The helmet still slips, but much less so. I'll see about
    contact with foam later - from the feel I cannot really tell
    if I am contacting foam or just my own chignon, but I don't
    suppose that makes too much difference.

    EFR Ile de France

  10. Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:10:32 +0100,
    <[email hidden]>,

    Just zis Guy said:
    Quoted message said:

    It saves me a trivial $100 ticket in the law-enforcement
    lottery.

    Pity they deter cycling and don't reduce the risk of
    injury, really, or there would be no downside ;-)

    Everyone over thirty should be dead from growing up without
    child-proof potion bottles.
    --
    zk

  11. Elisa Francesca Roselli said:
    Elisa Francesca Roselli said:

    So how can I tell if my helmet fits?

    Thanks to all who replied on this, especially David and
    Guy who caused me to realize that in fact my helmet is not
    nearly snug enough. It slips around freely, both in front
    and in back.

    But on the inside it has a velcro-lined strap with a
    tightening mechanism that goes under the back of my skull.
    I never understood how to use this until now. I put the
    helmet on, then pull in this strap as far as it will go to
    circle my skull. The chin-straps are also about an inch
    tighter now. They will irritate me in the heat and
    probably give me a rash, but that is true of anything
    tight and sweaty.

    The helmet still slips, but much less so. I'll see about
    contact with foam later - from the feel I cannot really
    tell if I am contacting foam or just my own chignon, but I
    don't suppose that makes too much difference.

    EFR Ile de France

    My understanding is that when the helmet is fitted correctly
    it should fit all round snugly without pads and not be able
    to be pushed forward or back more than a couple of
    centimetres or so. My experience is that fitting a helmet
    like this makes it almost impossible for me to swallow and
    starts interfering with my breathing\, as well as being
    impossibly uncomfortable. Hence the statistics that 96% of
    helmets are worn incorrectly, and that incorrectly-worn
    helmets may offer less protection than no helmet at all. No
    wonder there has been a decrease in bicycling associated
    with the promotion of helmets! One solution would be to fit
    the helmet correctly, and then when bicycling to tow a
    portable heart-lung machine behind the bicycle to take care
    of the body's respiration needs. Peter

    --
    This transmission is certified free of viruses as no
    Microsoft products were used in its preparation or
    propagation.

  12. Luigi de Guzman said:

    I'm forever scolding my little brothers to tighten their
    helmet-straps and slide the helmets forward to protect the
    front of their skulls.

    Not that I think they need a helmet for the riding that
    they do, necessarily. I made out all right without one--but
    would *you* want to stand there, carrying your injured baby
    brother in your arms, knowing that she'll hold you
    personally responsible?

    um, that sentence should read

    "..would *you* want to stand there in front of your MOTHER,
    carrying your injured baby brother in your arms, knowing
    that she'll hold you personally responsible?"

    -Luigi

    Quoted message said:


    Thought not.

    -Luigi

    Quoted message said:


    EFR Ile de France


Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.